Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2021, 20:14   #766
BANNED

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemu-24-07 View Post
i have put a 70% VLT on the side windows of My SCross car for 6 years now. The existing 70% VLT is of no use in terms of tapering the heat inside the cabin and to add to it, SCross has no Rear- AC Vents, I am thinking to put a sun film of 50% VLT which after scouting the net, I got to know many saying, the only 2 options of aftermarket sun films VLT %tages allowed is 50 and 70.. Is this true, or is still that No sun film of any %tage NOT allowed unless its an OEM.

Any Govt reference website or link wud also help.
What brand/quality sunfilm are you using. I am sure if you do one-on-one comparison with normal glass at the same spot on the same day you wiill realize the benefit of UV and heat blocking of these milder 70% sunfilms. Its not going to have an AC effect for sure you will still feel hot. Simply rolling down your window for a minute will show you the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Sun films are banned. But sun will continue to pummel @ 48+ degrees in summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTitan47 View Post
Thank you. Finally understood the judgement. There are dozens of sources on the internet which are claiming that 70% and 50% visibility sun films/ tints are allowed. The point to be noted, as I understand, is that these limits are for the vehicle manufacturer only. Any modification like sunfilm/ tinted glass is illegal irrespective of the visibility criteria!
Is that so?
It is only allowed for manufacturer OEM sandwich glass i.e the sunfilm is sandwiched between two layers of glass. It is now more than 5 years since the SC judgement. And yet how many car manufacturers are selling new cars with 70%/50% VLT glass as factory/OEM? For people buying cars costing above 7lac typically - is the cost of supplying shaded glass going to make the cars unaffordable? Maybe extra 5000 bucks per car for ex-showroom price or even if its 10-15K more (given budget of mass-manufacture at scale) - does that make a new car unaffordable? Such callous neglect of consumer needs by car manufacturers in India! When temperatures easily exceed 45 deg on the road... has not any car manufacturer worked out how a lower AC load can improve energy/fuel consumption in their car and use that to advantage?

I have a request for TBHPians - every time you go visiting a car showroom without the intention of buying (just checking out a new model) please make it a point to enquire about OEM/Factory UV protection and tinting of glasses in the car. And every time a sales person asks the reason for rejecting a car model - please mention you are possibly not going to consider a purchase because driving in summer heat is impossible without tinted glass so you have to reconsider. Let it trickle up to the big bosses that this is a much needed feature that ought be provided as a standard feature that they have been neglecting for god-knows-what!

Last edited by Ragul : 31st May 2021 at 20:19.
Ragul is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 22:18   #767
BHPian

Has anyone tried the automatic (pull-up) sunshade from Carhatke?

I'm in search of rear window sunshades for my Sonet. I found one on Carhatke but the pictures they've shown are generic, and therefore I have no clue about the fit/quality. I contacted them to see if they can share a real picture but they didn't.

Name:  Screenshot 20210720 at 10.02.52 PM.png
Views: 6778
Size:  119.8 KB
https://carhatke.com/automatic-side-...-for-kia-sonet

They've listed the same for almost all the cars,
https://carhatke.com/index.php?route...dow%20sunshade

If not the same, any pointers to similar products would really help.
Old 23rd July 2021, 01:46   #768
BHPian

the front glass being the biggest glass in the car, my windshield has a big crack and im thinking of replacing the windshield or getting a new car, in both cases i need something done, i have a skin condition and if it gets too hot, i get really bad itching and gets really uncontrollable.

are films available for the windshiled, if yes what are the prices ? ii last last paid about 8-10k for mine was the top variant of what was available and till date works very well, i cannot feel the heat from the dash/front no matter how hot it is outside, the sides however get really hot.

am in mumbai, options and suggestions are appreciated.
Old 23rd July 2021, 08:30   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletusarrarr View Post
the front glass being the biggest glass in the car, my windshield has a big crack and im thinking of replacing the windshield or getting a new car, in both cases i need something done, i have a skin condition and if it gets too hot, i get really bad itching and gets really uncontrollable.

are films available for the windshiled, if yes what are the prices ? ii last last paid about 8-10k for mine was the top variant of what was available and till date works very well, i cannot feel the heat from the dash/front no matter how hot it is outside, the sides however get really hot.

am in mumbai, options and suggestions are appreciated.
I had enquired with 3M Hyderabad yesterday and they suggested CR70 and quoted 9K for the front windshield. From what I could understand, CR70 is the best in market and has a slight bluish tint. For the sides, they suggested CR40 and it is an additional 14K and is of dark grrenish tint. Rear glass will incur an additional 7K bringing it altogether to 29-30K.

All this is for Mahindra XUV 5OO and since you have not mentioned your vehicle and XUV itself is a SUV, I guess this will be the outer limit.
Old 23rd July 2021, 08:38   #770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igemini View Post
Yesterday, I was driving and saw a white Innova Crysta honking like no other and flashing lights to everyone on the road. Apparently, that car belonged to a High Court Judge (as stated on the name board).

What is funny here is, that car had all the wrong things
I use the RoRo boat between Mumbai and Alibaug fairly regularly. There is a 'people's advocate' judge famous for his blistering attacks on industrialists who also uses the boat many times. His vehicles (official car + Range Rover) break the line to get onto the boat, and have dark tinted glasses and some other modifications that I'm sure are illegal.

Last edited by andafunda : 23rd July 2021 at 08:39.
andafunda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 08:52   #771
BHPian

Are Garware films still available? Don't want to go for 3M as you never know when you can get pulled over and have to remove. For its price Garware does a very decent job of cutting out heat.
I checked in a few shops in Delhi and they had the most basic options with 20% heart rejection and a severe lack of choices. Any pointers to who might have the higher end films of Garware in NCR? Looking for 70%VLT with closer to 40 % heart rejection. Even the Garware website no longer holds much details.
coldice4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 19:54   #772
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for some protection from sun ray's and found this, which is specific to my i20 https://www.autofurnish.com/premium-...rear-2pc-black
They are not magnetic so I've no idea on how they fix to the windows, but the picture shows a neat application and the price is
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-screenshot_2021072719521684_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Anyone with experience with these? Like to hear your views.

Last edited by goandude : 27th July 2021 at 19:55.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 19:59   #773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Anyone with experience with these? Like to hear your views.
When I purchased magnetic shades for the Ertiga, the 3rd row set was exactly like this. It had no magnets as the 3rd row glass was not on the door and had plastic around it.

The shape of this set for the 3rd row was exact match to the inner perimeter of this glass area and all that I had to do was to push the frame (of the shade) in and it would fit perfectly. I believe, this one too is similar.

In this case the biggest fear I have is that the shade can fall outside the car when you roll down fully by mistake and the fitting has become loose overtime .

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th July 2021 at 20:01.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 19:04   #774
BHPian

i checked in MUmbai , was told Garware was available for 3500 all doors and windshield with decent heat rejection and 70% visibility, i asked for better, was told Llumar brand for 7000, anything better he said started at 15K, this is from GK Motors , Vashi, Navi Mumbai.

what was odd was that he mentioned all of the above options are RTO approved and legal, anybody can throw some light onto this and confirm ?
Old 28th July 2021, 19:38   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what was odd was that he mentioned all of the above options are RTO approved and legal, anybody can throw some light onto this and confirm ?
Legally speaking, as per Supreme Court order, any accessory that was not part of Type Approval of that model, is illegal.
Old 28th July 2021, 20:02   #776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Legally speaking, as per Supreme Court order, any accessory that was not part of Type Approval of that model, is illegal.
I don't know how they are quoting so then. Have to dig deep and check and confirm.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st August 2021 at 20:39. Reason: SMS language
Old 1st August 2021, 17:00   #777
BHPian

Quote:
idk how are they quoting so then, have to dig deep and check and confirm.
Mods - i could not edit the message, hence replying, so this is what i have found out, some videos to confirm too.

first the legal or illegal deal :-
ALL sunfilms are illegal, no debate to this. However.
Cops are mainly targeting inexpensive cars whose glasses don't seem to have good visibility while looking through, they then affirm the same by a device that helps check the visibility index. if it is below some threshold they have defined they fine you, from all the videos i have seen if your visibility is 70% + then you should be fine and most likely you wont even be caught.

What car film should i apply and how should i evaluate ?
Most brands usually have the UV , transparency & heat index mentioned on the box, if you have an option to measure, do so and measure using a device, look at the videos linked below to understand. The higher the heat rejection , the better your ac will work and your fuel efficiency will be.
Disclaimer : i have no affiliation with any of the videos linked below. Seemingly cheap imported films also seem very effective if you can find a good source, you don't have to pay a pretty price for an effective sun film. someone below got all windows and front glass done for INR3500.

cletusarrarr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 13:11   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Mods - i could not edit the message, hence replying, so this is what i have found out, some videos to confirm too.

first the legal or illegal deal :-
ALL sunfilms are illegal, no debate to this. However.
Cops are mainly targeting inexpensive cars whose glasses don't seem to have good visibility while looking through, they then affirm the same by a device that helps check the visibility index. if it is below some threshold they have defined they fine you, from all the videos i have seen if your visibility is 70% + then you should be fine and most likely you wont even be caught.

What car film should i apply and how should i evaluate ?
Most brands usually have the UV , transparency & heat index mentioned on the box, if you have an option to measure, do so and measure using a device, look at the videos linked below to understand. The higher the heat rejection , the better your ac will work and your fuel efficiency will be.
Disclaimer : i have no affiliation with any of the videos linked below. Seemingly cheap imported films also seem very effective if you can find a good source, you don't have to pay a pretty price for an effective sun film. someone below got all windows and front glass done for INR3500.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=47MGmWthRgU
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=9zz5QxRW1II
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=3gWpJMH8EfM
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Iv2Pk-P5KDk
The second video is where the user was able to obtain all glass film for 3500, this is how effective it is, about 91% heat rejection and 72% visibility, that's really impressive for the price. will enquire and find out if we can source the same. i need a roll and this is located somewhere in Gujarat.

see attachment for snippet from the video
Attached Thumbnails
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-3500pic.png  

Last edited by cletusarrarr : 3rd August 2021 at 13:11. Reason: attachment did not upload
Old 4th August 2021, 01:28   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The second video is where the user was able to obtain all glass film for 3500, this is how effective it is, about 91% heat rejection and 72% visibility, that's really impressive for the price. will enquire and find out if we can source the same. i need a roll and this is located somewhere in Gujarat.

see attachment for snippet from the video
Do let me know if you manage to source it. I wouldn't mind sharing the cost of a windshield size piece as my Dzire badly needs a film with good heat rejection in the front.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 02:39   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Do let me know if you manage to source it. I wouldn't mind sharing the cost of a windshield size piece as my Dzire badly needs a film with good heat rejection in the front.
hes on instagram - cartastically
leave a msg, will let you guys know if and when he replies.
Edit - adding the attachment of the car shop that seems to be the dealer. Anybody from Surat who can verify and help ?
Attached Images

Last edited by cletusarrarr : 4th August 2021 at 02:46. Reason: found the number

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks