Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2012, 08:43   #121
BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
Seems to be a good tactic, but I'm not sure if fogging would occur during daytime, specially these days of blistering October heat in Mumbai!
Any other alternatives?
Actually if you wet clean your windows on the outside before you take out the car, it does fog up.
SedatedDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 08:57   #122
Senior - BHPian

If I read the judgement correctly, the only legal option is tinted glass that is within the parameters. 50 and 70 pct VLT.

Given that replacing all the glass on a vehicle is expensive there do not seem to be any alternatives. A lot of people have either left their tint and take their chances or have removed some portions so that they can say they have vision
Old 2nd October 2012, 11:51   #123

There was an Article in the Malayala Manorama (Kochi Edition) yesterday (1st Oct 2012) which gave details on fixing Curtains on the windows. It said the cost is about 2800 - 3500 per car depending on the quality of the cloth used.
From the attached pic, it looks fairly decent. It also says everyone from Ministers to Police Officers have now turned to these Curtains since Sun Films have been banned.

Now, if they were to legalize Curtains, I fail to understand the logic behind banning Sun Films. If it was for the cops to see people inside the car, I am sure Sun Films would have been better since the lighter ones (70% or 50% VLT ones) provide more visibility into the car than curtains.
Attached Thumbnails
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-imag0092.jpg  

Old 21st October 2012, 14:20   #124
BHPian

This rule is absolutely silly. I mean the cops firstly should tackle more important things. In this kind of heat driving a vehicle without tints is going to be very stressful on the driver. In the long run it will create chaos on the roads. Tempers will rise etc. All this because of the heat increase in the car without tints.
The only method to save guard our selfs without tints is to use those curtain type accessories which I have been reading about on the forums.
Or else a smart,cheesy way to ensure that is to never clean your car windows. Leave them dirty.hahaha. That way it will block the sunlight to a certain extent.
Old 21st October 2012, 15:46   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Felt like lightening up the mood here:

We offroaders just need to splash around in the mud a bit and the necessity of tints gets redundant.

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-15.jpg
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 16:08   #126
BHPian

Pretty sure this could have been prevented if sun films were used/not banned:

http://zeenews.india.com/news/karnat...se_806596.html
Quote:
Investigation revealed on that fateful night, the suspects had spotted the victim in a parked car along with her boy friend when they were in search of sandalwood trees for chopping.
http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/s...ome_1350729744
Quote:
The incident took place on Saturday night in the campus after the gang waylaid the car in which she was going with her boyfriend, an IT employee from Kerala.
Old 21st October 2012, 19:20   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive
Pretty sure this could have been prevented if sun films were used/not banned:

http://zeenews.india.com/news/karnat...se_806596.html

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/s...ome_1350729744
There's nothing to suggest that the car wasn't tinted. And in any case, how exactly can tints be protective when even the doors weren't?
I think this being India, they should instead have avoided being in a parked car in the woods at night.
Reading through the two reports you've shared, there are quite a few other questions that cropped up on my mind, but they'd be beyond the scope of this thread.
Old 21st October 2012, 19:53   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
There's nothing to suggest that the car wasn't tinted. And in any case, how exactly can tints be protective when even the doors weren't?
I think this being India, they should instead have avoided being in a parked car in the woods at night.
Reading through the two reports you've shared, there are quite a few other questions that cropped up on my mind, but they'd be beyond the scope of this thread.
At night, if tinted you can't make out if there is a girl or 4 men in the car. Seriously just ask women car drivers in our country about their opinion and the answer would be the same. This particular issue has also been pointed countless times on this forum, so there is no side stepping it or countering it for the sake of sounding "legal".
Old 21st October 2012, 20:53   #129
BHPian

^ I'm sorry, but I cannot understand how sun-films alone can be held responsible for an incident like this.
I for one, am against a blanket ban on sun-films. But that's only because the sun is rather harsh in these parts all through the year.
By the way, I remember some years ago, a girl was raped inside a moving car in Coimbatore, and the police has conducted a drive against opaque window glasses soon afterwards. Isn't this a strong counter-argument to yours?
Old 21st October 2012, 21:15   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
By the way, I remember some years ago, a girl was raped inside a moving car in Coimbatore, and the police has conducted a drive against opaque window glasses soon afterwards. Isn't this a strong counter-argument to yours?
Why don't we ban cars in Coimbatore? Surely, use of cars is a cause? A solution that creates a new problem, but who cares, really? Definitely not the person who moved the petition in the first place. Do you think would-be culprits are so dim that now that sun films are banned, they are totally clueless on how else to carry out their crime? Wait till cars with legal tinted glass are used for such crimes.

No law and order agency is interested in putting in an iota of effort in solving rape cases on the merit of the case per se. Let us just pass a blanket ban on x, y and z that were used to commit the crime and close the cases. Grease a bit while at it too.
SedatedDrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:42   #131
BANNED

I was thinking of why cant we have tinting options like optics shop do for lenses using dyes and a huge oven .
We can have whatever colour we want too.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:52   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
That is wrong. There should be only OEM glass that comes with the car. Nothing can be applied on the glass. The condition of the glass cannot be altered either.
And also, one good thing about not having sunfilms is that we can see through the car. If we think of SUV's , one of the most important aspect is that we can see above the cars and hence we can plan our move earlier and the confidence in making pass/driving is more.
When most of the cars in Bangalore had tinted glasses, it was impossible to see what's happening ahead of the car in front of us. But with this removed, this problem is gone. It makes drivability much more easier and even more so in the night and on the highways.
turbo_delight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 13:07   #133
Senior - BHPian

Link was forwared by a colleague.Not sure if this was posted before,mods please delete if necessary.Something that will add to confusion and anger among fellow motorists.High end cars seem to be exempt as per this article.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...vehicle-owners
Old 25th October 2012, 14:39   #134
BHPian

Electrochomatic windows can be the new way forward!

Had a chance to travel aboard Air India's latest toy - VT-AND, the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner. It features these kinds of windows instead of the standard window shades. Check the link to see it in action.

Only catch being manufacturers need to start with it, which is highly unlikely.
Sinner666 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 19:33   #135
Team-BHP Support

My car had sunfilm on the windows and the rear windscreen. Nothing on the front.

I removed all the sunfilms from my car about 4 days back. Then drove from Chennai to Hyderabad via the Vijayawada route.

I have never needed sunglasses while driving. But today I acutely felt the need for some shades. Squinting to see past the sun made my drive a little uncomfortable.
The drive from Vijayawada to Hyderabad was from 1:30 PM onwards in the East->West direction.

I think anyone who is used to sunfilm better get used to wearing shades now. If you are planning on a long road trip, keep this in mind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks