Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2012, 15:53   #151
BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I was one of those who originally thought this was a ridiculous directive by the Hon SC - although I complied with it immediately.
But having been completely shocked and distressed by the horrific nightmare in Delhi (and having read today that the police are being pulled up for their lethargy in not implementing this) I have come around to the view that if this helps in any way in reducing/stopping such monstrous crimes, it is our duty to whole-heartedly support this order. Apparently that bus had heavy tints and curtains.
A little discomfort is worth it even if this helps in preventing one single such crime.
This is what makes the SC rule ridiculous. Such incidents will keep on happening due to insufficient policing, long drawn out court cases and various other reasons. The percentage of incidents due to sun-film on cars is probably miniscule, but the SC showed great alacrity in banning sun film, as if in doing so, crime rate would immediately tumble.
John is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2013, 19:21   #152
Senior - BHPian

Would front windscreen films placed on the side windows be effective in reducing the burning sensation on ones hands while driving under the sun? Has anyone tried it? And what would be the cost? I'm quite sure the cops would not stop you as the front windscreen films are transparent.
Need to do something about the heat and its only going to become worse with summer round the corner.
Old 12th January 2013, 19:58   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Would front windscreen films placed on the side windows be effective in reducing the burning sensation on ones hands while driving under the sun? Has anyone tried it? And what would be the cost? I'm quite sure the cops would not stop you as the front windscreen films are transparent.
Need to do something about the heat and its only going to become worse with summer round the corner.
Definitely! 3M CR70 is one such film. You can use any 70 VLT film for that matter, I use 3M RE70, cuts the heat effectively, much much better than plain glass.
Old 12th January 2013, 23:17   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I was one of those who originally thought this was a ridiculous directive by the Hon SC - although I complied with it immediately.
But having been completely shocked and distressed by the horrific nightmare in Delhi (and having read today that the police are being pulled up for their lethargy in not implementing this) I have come around to the view that if this helps in any way in reducing/stopping such monstrous crimes, it is our duty to whole-heartedly support this order. Apparently that bus had heavy tints and curtains.
A little discomfort is worth it even if this helps in preventing one single such crime.
Well, I still believe this is a ridiculous directive. We have many such ridiculous rules and the SC would only look at it with their knowledge of the language to the word rather than understanding the circumstances with intelligence. We try and solve the wrong problems always. If this continues, Iam sure sooner or later we will see directives saying in India we cannot wear sunglasses (reason: the security people or cops wouldn't know where we are looking) or we should not have tinted or etched glasses on our house windows (reason: the cops needs to make sure that activities in our house does not have any relationship to terrorism), etc...

They should have implemented the rules in public transport vehicles like buses and also make it a point for all the public transport vehicles to have the lights ON after dusk.

Why dont the judiciary make honest and sincere efforts to clear up the cases lying in their bins since ages? rather than wasting their time for such petty and ridiculous PILs.

We need to re-look at almost all our rules/acts be it the Motor Vehicle act or the Indian Penal Code.

The MV act was made up long back when our carriageways were single small roads where the average speeds were around 40 or 50 KMPH. Now we have expressways with multiple lanes and vehicles capable of much higher speeds. Let the SC or the cops make it mandatory and implement for all the slow moving trucks and buses NOT TO drive on the right most lane in a multi lane carriageway. We need the cops or the authorities to take strict actions against such HT vehicles breaking down on the right most lanes. Take action on people who fleece the citizens by collecting tolls on highways when there is no alternative routes for the public who pays "lifetime" tax on the vehicle they buy which is supposed to be used to maintain the roads.

We talk a lot about "global warming" "energy conservation" "energy saved is energy generated" many such slogans we hear daily. Does the SC know that sun films makes the cooling inside the car more efficient if the right sun films are used (that allows visible light and has thermal protection) which increases the fuel efficiency? Well, the Government is only interested in taxing the citizens more by increasing the fuel prices (every increase in fuel price brings more money into the treasury as taxes). When Diesel cars are more fuel efficient than the petrol cars, diesel cars get taxed more.

We continue to solve the wrong problems and we continue to ignore the actual problem to solve wrong problems.

And we call ourselves a "developing nation" or "a nation that wants to be an economic super power"

We need leaders who has proper vision and not with myopic vision.
Jo-G is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 19:21   #155
BHPian

The Supreme courts direction is definitely myopic. I see a steady rise of judicial activism.

There is a thin line between judicial activism and judicial over-reach.

In the specific case of sun-film; Honorable SC has transgressed on the domain of the executive/legislature and gone into framing of laws.

Even though the intention might be well-conceived; I have my reservations for this type of activism:
* The judges are nominated and not elected by the citizens directly. Making laws and transgressing the executive weakens a democracy.
* The judges are qualified in interpreting laws and not forming laws;and due-diligence is not carried out when making such laws by the courts. For ex: the sweeping and arbitrary directions by SC on river-linking project.
* Judicial over-reach may set it up in confrontation with the executive. Not good signs for a democracy.

Even though the govt has many misgivings; it should not be a precedent to judicial over-reach. Please look at Pakistan and the conflicts between judiciary/executive which has seriously undermined the country.
anurag.somani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 23:47   #156
BHPian

Not a Legal Alternative, but this is what I do. The moment I see the cops checking , my four fingers are rushed to press all four power windows. The window goes down in an instant and by the time I pass the cops, all my windows are down. The only difficulty is that you need to spot the cops at least 50-100 mts before. If they stop you and go for a re-check, then you would need to shell out the money.
I know this is not a practical solution and may not work at all times.But whats the harm in trying. It has saved me $$ about 5 times till date.
nettooran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 22:07   #157
BHPian

How much difficult to make Photo-black/Photo-gray kind of glass that we get in eye glasses. It will be very useful, day time dark and night time visibility would be very nice.
Old 17th January 2013, 21:05   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Definitely! 3M CR70 is one such film. You can use any 70 VLT film for that matter, I use 3M RE70, cuts the heat effectively, much much better than plain glass.
even i was thinking in the same line, but what will be the cost of 3m CR70, i was told the film put on the front glass is very costly.
Old 17th January 2013, 21:10   #159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes it would be pretty effective, but not as much as darker films. 3M CR70 as mentioned above would be pretty good, but would cost around 20k for the whole car. Cops wouldn't even notice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
Not a Legal Alternative, but this is what I do. The moment I see the cops checking , my four fingers are rushed to press all four power windows. The window goes down in an instant and by the time I pass the cops, all my windows are down. The only difficulty is that you need to spot the cops at least 50-100 mts before. If they stop you and go for a re-check, then you would need to shell out the money.
I know this is not a practical solution and may not work at all times.But whats the harm in trying. It has saved me $$ about 5 times till date.
In Mumbai I have seen cars being stopped with all 4 windows down if there is only one person in the car. I guess the cops realize the person is trying not to show sunfilm. What would be easier is to put only the front 2 windows down, if the tints are really dark. Another option for people with sunroofs is to open the sunshade, so that more light comes into the car making the tints look lighter.

I feel bad discussing ways to get around a law, but when a law itself is formed for such ridiculous reasons, what is a person to do.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 01:50   #160
Senior - BHPian

What's the status of sun film removal drive in Chandigarh? Can I take a car there which has 50% visibility sun films? or rules are as strict as in Delhi/NCR?
Old 26th January 2013, 05:54   #161
BHPian

I think the cops are becoming very aggressive about sun films. I saw a cop run his fingers at the edge of a window he suspected. So I'm thinking films of even 100% transparency are not going to be tolerated, at least in Delhi.

The installers must be careful in installing them till the edge, unlike the practice earlier where the film was 3 to 4 mm away, and absolutely no joints.
Old 26th January 2013, 08:09   #162
Senior - BHPian

There are electronic glass transparency control systems which we may install in our vehicles. These consist of a thin film stuck on to the glass and with a remote control once can alter the transparency.

So when parked or in extreme sunny weather, we can set it to a dark shade while just before a copy we may switch it OFF!

The only issue is the cost. This solution comes at about a lac INR.
Old 26th January 2013, 08:34   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
There are electronic glass transparency control systems which we may install in our vehicles. These consist of a thin film stuck on to the glass and with a remote control once can alter the transparency.

So when parked or in extreme sunny weather, we can set it to a dark shade while just before a copy we may switch it OFF!

Never heard of this before. Could you please provide some details on the brands and availability.
Old 26th January 2013, 09:17   #164
BANNED

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
What's the status of sun film removal drive in Chandigarh? Can I take a car there which has 50% visibility sun films? or rules are as strict as in Delhi/NCR?
Do not even think to go in chandigarh . They will stop you as soon as they spot a out of city number plate .They will take a key and check if any film is there (even if you got 3MCR70) . They will remove it .They will also check all your documents .

I always feel why do we have different laws for different state makes me feel in a an alien land as and when we cross state boundaries.

Quote:

It is not possible as far as i know due to the fact this transparency layer is like a positive and negative charges inbetween two glass sheets .This makes it thick . Also u need a decent amount of electricity to alter emissivity of this system and it always need power on to keep the transparency you selected.

Last edited by GTO : 28th January 2013 at 12:35. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 26th January 2013, 09:46   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Paying 1 lakh INR to get an illegal solution? Since you have to stick the thin film to glass, you have to drive around with the film stuck to the glasses at all times. In case some cop spots it while you park your car and go, there goes your system worth 1 lakh as they would tear/damage your film irrespective of its cost.

The black rectangular sun shades that you can stick to glasses using vacuum cups are probably more legal than this since you can use them while parking in the sun and remove them while driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks