Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2013, 09:32   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Yes it would be pretty effective, but not as much as darker films. 3M CR70 as mentioned above would be pretty good, but would cost around 20k for the whole car. Cops wouldn't even notice it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
I think the cops are becoming very aggressive about sun films. I saw a cop run his fingers at the edge of a window he suspected. So I'm thinking films of even 100% transparency are not going to be tolerated, at least in Delhi.

The installers must be careful in installing them till the edge, unlike the practice earlier where the film was 3 to 4 mm away, and absolutely no joints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindSpeeDs View Post
Though not legal, the 3M CR90 is a safer bet as it is very very tough to detect it visually. Absolutely no shade. Does a reasonably good job of cutting the heat, UV and IR but not glare. Just the reason why they do not suggest it for the front windshield.
One must be really unlucky to get caught and penalized for using CR90.
I've been caught and penalized for using CR70 though.
I'm confused.
70 % VLT on windscreen and sides and back with whatever brand should be so transparent that cops would not stop you. Of course if they stop you for some other reason and look closely they might find it.
Never heard of 90 % VLT, mindspeed could you clarify which company manufactures this and its cost.
With all the discussion above it has boiled down to :- Use the cheapest 70% VLT, garware ice cool or shield, on all windows. Ask installer to apply it to the edges, not 3-4 mm away. And cross fingers and hope you don't get caught.
Old 9th February 2013, 10:55   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I'm confused.
70 % VLT on windscreen and sides and back with whatever brand should be so transparent that cops would not stop you. Of course if they stop you for some other reason and look closely they might find it.
Never heard of 90 % VLT, mindspeed could you clarify which company manufactures this and its cost.
With all the discussion above it has boiled down to :- Use the cheapest 70% VLT, garware ice cool or shield, on all windows. Ask installer to apply it to the edges, not 3-4 mm away. And cross fingers and hope you don't get caught.
I have the habit of driving with all four windows lowered by an inch. The cop came, inspected, was not sure and then.. felt and noticed the few mm gap that is left at the top edge! Like you said, installing it all the way might make it very very difficult for them to notice. What I have is the 3M CR70.
3M has come up with CR90 now. I suppose there are others who also have 90% VLT films. CR90 costs the same as the other CRs. According to 3M it does do a very decent job but they do not recommend it for the windshield as it does not have anti glare properties.
Old 10th February 2013, 09:09   #183
BHPian

Rule to no rule, i still see 40% cars with sunfilm in Chennai city. I use a KA registered car and have been working from Chennai location from last 6 months. I pulled out the films from my car the D - 1 day the rule came into effect, almost 12K down the drain.

But seeing these cars in Chennai makes me feel i am a fool. If i were to use my car ONLY in Chennai, i would have put films back, otherwise it is simply unbearable in the heat there. But i travel frequently to Bangalore and there cops are very strict, thats why it doesnt make sense.
Old 10th February 2013, 09:31   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindSpeeDs View Post
.. felt and noticed the few mm gap that is left at the top edge! Like you said, installing it all the way might make it very very difficult for them to notice.
The 5mm gap between the film & the edge of glass pane is deliberate. If the film is put up all the way to the top, the film will eventually start peeling because of the contact of the edge of the film with the door frame.

What ever the rules say, a film with good heat rejection is very useful. The tint is not so important to achieve this, so one can have a light tint but with pretty good heat rejection. Currently using Garware for this, and I can feel the difference.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2013, 11:32   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The 5mm gap between the film & the edge of glass pane is deliberate. If the film is put up all the way to the top, the film will eventually start peeling because of the contact of the edge of the film with the door frame.

What ever the rules say, a film with good heat rejection is very useful. The tint is not so important to achieve this, so one can have a light tint but with pretty good heat rejection. Currently using Garware for this, and I can feel the difference.
Absolutely right. However, there is a workaround for this too. The windows have to be left open (at least till the level where there is no contact with the gasket on the top) till the adhesion is proper. It should take about 48 hours. Recommended to leave it open for a week to play it safe.
The difficult part is getting it right all across the curvature of the glass. It is easy to get the top part of it right to a great extent and should serve the purpose. Other places, would probably have a gap of 1 - 1.5mm.
Old 12th February 2013, 07:48   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The tint is not so important to achieve this, so one can have a light tint but with pretty good heat rejection. Currently using Garware for this, and I can feel the difference.
Which make of Garware are you using? And is as effective as CR70 of 3M?
Old 12th February 2013, 08:40   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Ice Cool shield. VLT 70 for front.
I havent compared with other brands, but Vid6639 has. This one is a cost-effective alternative to the higher priced brands.

Personally, I find that it works just fine. Have it on my vehicles & also my cousin's Tavera
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 09:42   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Rule to no rule, i still see 40% cars with sunfilm in Chennai city. I use a KA registered car and have been working from Chennai location from last 6 months. I pulled out the films from my car the D - 1 day the rule came into effect, almost 12K down the drain.

But seeing these cars in Chennai makes me feel i am a fool. If i were to use my car ONLY in Chennai, i would have put films back, otherwise it is simply unbearable in the heat there. But i travel frequently to Bangalore and there cops are very strict, thats why it doesnt make sense.
I still see cars being stopped for sun films every time near T. Nagar, EA Mall, etc.
Old 14th February 2013, 07:45   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguar View Post
I still see cars being stopped for sun films every time near T. Nagar, EA Mall, etc.
Maybe they don't rip the film off and let them go after a "under the table" settlement.

Even then, there is a HUGE percentage of cars with films in Chennai, compared to that in Bangalore that number is zilch.
Old 14th February 2013, 10:47   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Maybe they don't rip the film off and let them go after a "under the table" settlement.

Even then, there is a HUGE percentage of cars with films in Chennai, compared to that in Bangalore that number is zilch.
Yes the number is quite large in Chennai when compared to Bangalore but I guess that is more to do with the weather here in Chennai. I also had my sun films till last week but then I saw a lot of checks happening and also heard that some cops were pulling off the sun films themselves. Did not want to risk that and got it removed at 3M last weekend. I do not feel much difference but my wife does not like it at all.

And yes it does feel bad to see cars with sun films when you have removed them from your car. When I see such cars now I pray that they get caught and move on
Old 20th February 2013, 22:04   #191

No sunfilm - please advice on how to keep the car interiors cool?

Dear Friends,

Since the supreme court ruling, I have got the sunfilm removed from the car. Since then I am suffering higher temperatures in the car. The summer is fast approaching - how do you plan to beat the heat inside your car? it will be great if you share your experiences, any special solutions (for e.g., cool roof?).

thanks a lot!
best regards
Ganesh
Old 21st February 2013, 10:20   #192
BHPian

Re: No sunfilm - please advice on how to keep the car interiors cool?

Dear Gakudva,

The Supreme court judgment totally does not ban sunfilm. What it makes mandatory is that the VLT of side windows should be at 50% and the front and the rear windshield should be at 70% as a minimum. So you can opt for any sunfilm which gives you a VLT of 70% overall to be on the safe side. I have 3M's CR70 with VLT 70% on all the glass in my car and I have had absolutely no issues with any cop.
swaroopanand_86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 10:27   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Ice Cool shield. VLT 70 for front.
I havent compared with other brands, but Vid6639 has. This one is a cost-effective alternative to the higher priced brands.

Personally, I find that it works just fine. Have it on my vehicles & also my cousin's Tavera
Hey mate, how much did you pay for the film? And do you have any films on the rest of your windows?
Old 21st February 2013, 11:06   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

A little over 5k, including front.
Old 21st February 2013, 11:36   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaroopanand_86 View Post
Dear Gakudva,

The Supreme court judgment totally does not ban sunfilm. What it makes mandatory is that the VLT of side windows should be at 50% and the front and the rear windshield should be at 70% as a minimum. So you can opt for any sunfilm which gives you a VLT of 70% overall to be on the safe side. I have 3M's CR70 with VLT 70% on all the glass in my car and I have had absolutely no issues with any cop.
The traffic police does not agree to the same. They scraped of 5k rupees film(VLT 50) off my mother's car. If someone can source the original copy of the judgement. We all can keep it in our cars along worth the certificate from sun film manufacturers.

They don't believe no matter whatever we say. They have only one rule - no sunfilm.

EDIT
The supreme court allows VLT of 50 and 70 on side and rear glasses but without the use of any sunfilm i.e it is valid for tinted glasess.

http://m.autocarindia.com/Article.as...9734&type=News

Can't we get tinted glasses for cars like wagon R etc . from outside market. Atleast the side window glasses.I don't think they would cost more than a good sunfilm.

Last edited by k2max6 : 21st February 2013 at 11:40.
k2max6 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks