Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2013, 21:53   #241
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Mod Note : The SC Judgement has been discussed to death on the other (now closed) Sunfilm thread. Please keep the discussion on track here and only discuss legal alternatives to sunfilm.

Thanks!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2013, 11:21   #242
BHPian

Here's one I found: http://www.ebay.in/itm/AMAZING-NEW-S...#ht_500wt_1157

If it really works the advantage is that it can be removed very easily and no cop can catch you for it.

On the other hand, I suppose that windows can't be rolled down with this on.

Last edited by EagleEye : 16th March 2013 at 11:23.
Old 22nd March 2013, 18:45   #243
Senior - BHPian

I went to Pune for 2 days last weekend and was amazed at the number of cars with dark films. I think the Pune cops are a bit more understanding as the temperatures there were about 38 in the afternoon.

On my drive to Pune and back the cooling effect of the garware classic lite was quite evident. It does the job of preventing the burning sensation on the arms when sun is falling on them. Paisa vasool
Old 1st April 2013, 10:08   #244
BHPian

Read this article today. As per it, sun films that are not tinted are legal and apparently those films are available in the market. Is that correct?

http://www.overdrive.in/details/3102...orbing-windows
Old 1st April 2013, 10:15   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by altius View Post
Read this article today. As per it, sun films that are not tinted are legal and apparently those films are available in the market. Is that correct?

http://www.overdrive.in/details/3102...orbing-windows
Possible April fool prank ??
Old 1st April 2013, 10:24   #246
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by altius View Post
The article sounds a bit vague. AFAIK, majority of the Indian manufacturers source the windshields from AIC/Asahi. And if the cop flagging you is adamant on removing sun-films, he may not even be willing to listen to the argument on tinted/non-tinted films.
Old 15th April 2013, 12:09   #247
Senior - BHPian

My colleague got this fitted in his brand new i20 & has similar shades in his Innova. This set of four units costs about 2.5K to 3K for i20.
The unit has to be screwed to the door and though some of us may not like the idea of making holes on plastic but I think they are worth the money.
The curtain part of each unit has to be custom made and it take about 2 hours for installation. If someone knows about similar product manufacturers then please post your findings.
These ones were made in Sion Koliwada area in Mumbai.
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-001.jpg
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-002.jpg
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-003.jpg
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-004.jpg
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-005.jpg
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-006.jpg
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-007.jpg
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-008.jpg
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-009.jpg
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-010.jpg
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-011.jpg
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-012.jpg
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-013.jpg

Raab rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 12:58   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
My colleague got this fitted in his brand new i20 & has similar shades in his Innova. This set of four units costs about 2.5K to 3K for i20.
The unit has to be screwed to the door and though some of us may not like the idea of making holes on plastic but I think they are worth the money.
The curtain part of each unit has to be custom made and it take about 2 hours for installation. If someone knows about similar product manufacturers then please post your findings.
These ones were made in Sion Koliwada area in Mumbai.

Raab rakha.
Wonderful. Can you post the shops name or PM me details . I want the same on my Innova. Have been looking for these customised kinds,since a very long time.
Old 15th April 2013, 13:23   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Wonderful. Can you post the shops name or PM me details . I want the same on my Innova. Have been looking for these customised kinds,since a very long time.
The similar ones from SunTeck for Innova, a packed set of 4 pieces, is available for Rs 3500/- at a shop called Adventure Accessories on JVLR Powai opp IIT. I am sure, it will be available in Sion, Mulund or Milan SubWay lanes off the shelf.

I had posted pics of the same in XUV500 thread. Here they are for your information, fitted on a friend's Innova.

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-sunteck-retractable-door-sunshade-1.jpg

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-sunteck-retractable-door-sunshade-2.jpg
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 14:00   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
The similar ones from SunTeck for Innova, a packed set of 4 pieces, is available for Rs 3500/- at a shop called Adventure Accessories on JVLR Powai opp IIT.
These look much better. Will look around for them in Delhi or else i`ll get the lightest shade of sunfilm installed again as the Delhi heat is becoming a problem now.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 15th April 2013 at 14:01.
Old 15th April 2013, 14:37   #251

Are the sun films totally banned? I don't think so. As far as I read the ruling, the requirement is 70% pass through for the front windshield and 40% pass through for the rest. That translates to 60% coverage for windows. I have 15% on my windows (it was there when I bought the car) and I have not had any harassment.
Another thing... the cops hesitate to make a fuss if you have family with you, so if you are traveling with wife and kids, you are less likely to be pulled over. I've been over most of South India in my car and the sun films have never been an issue.
Another thing is that the cops got in gear about the films soon after the court ruling, and after a little while they lost interest in it. So till another round of hype about the sun films comes up, I think we are pretty free.
Old 15th April 2013, 15:49   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulprv View Post
Are the sun films totally banned? ...
As per the SC ruling, YES !

the 70% VLT is acceptable only for the OEM factory-fitted tinted glass (and not sun-film stuck on glass).
Old 15th April 2013, 16:07   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
These look much better. Will look around for them in Delhi or else i`ll get the lightest shade of sunfilm installed again as the Delhi heat is becoming a problem now.
Hi faithless_1984, pl share the update/ info once you come across the same Since Delhi's heat is horrible and driving with the plain glass would be a mess!
Old 25th April 2013, 19:08   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi just wanted to know if the cops give consideration to people suffering from Skin conditions that get aggravated due to sun exposure, provided you have a letter from a dermatologist perhaps? I read about the same on the forum earlier.
Old 25th April 2013, 19:29   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
The curtain part of each unit has to be custom made and it take about 2 hours for installation.
Aren't all materials (including curtains or any kind, cloth, the ones in the images) also banned in the same order. The order bans any material that obstructs view from the window that is applied on the glass.

Its easy to bring the curtain down if you see a cop flagging you, but with the new proposal (still not implemented) to invalidate the insurance if there are objectionable content "on" the windows, you might want to check this our fully before you implement/suggest it.

Most Viewed