Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2013, 21:41   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hi just wanted to know if the cops give consideration to people suffering from Skin conditions that get aggravated due to sun exposure, provided you have a letter from a dermatologist perhaps? I read about the same on the forum earlier.
No, I don't think they do ! Else, this being India, there will be big queues at all dermatologists if you know what I mean !
Old 9th May 2013, 13:44   #257
BHPian

I was speaking about this with a friend of mine in the auto industry and he mentioned that in a recent development, even the vacuum-cup enabled curtains, etc have also been banned! Couldn't find anything to this effect online and thought of checking here - has anyone else heard of something on similar lines?
Old 9th May 2013, 20:57   #258
BHPian

Last year when I visited Cochin and was sight seeing around the areas of Ft Kochi, I saw several tourist Innovas with a light material towel hanging down from the inside of the passenger's window. It was quite rudimentary and involved a portion of the towel sticking out of the window but upon asking a friend who owns a hotel and does operate tourist cabs said that they were efficient as well since it blocks the sun completely. Since it is not a permanent fixture as it falls off once the window is rolled down, it is legal as well. BUT, it is limited only to passengers. I think this is a good rudimentary alternative to the sun film. As for me, no thank you I prefer to keep my shades on till it is forcefully ripped off.

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 9th May 2013, 21:58   #259
BHPian

The law states (not quoting but it means the same) that anything aftermarket which obstructs/diminishes visibility of the interior from outside is illegal. I guess curtains are out then. So are the black net chipkoo things (Not if you can get them off before every signal).
Someone should start a forum or something asking manufacturers to offer factory tinted glass as an option at least on higher variants. As of now the only regular cars that i know of with this type of glass are the Polo TSI and Amaze.
Old 13th May 2013, 14:29   #260

I honestly feel this threadneeds to be closed, for the simple reason that it is NOT SUCH A BIG DEAL !!! The Supreme Court has laid down the law based on the ugly instances of rape and molestation and other terrorist activities that were carried out behind tinted glasses. As always, its the misuuse of the law that gets honest common people to have to bear up with the inconveniences
The law is there to protect us , so lets not search for devious methods to beat the law.We are over reacting !!! If you are an honest law abiding road user, which I am sure most of us are, then you will notice that no policeman will stop you for placing a suction screen on whichever window the sun comes in.He will not stop you fr having a towel hanging from tyour window . He will not stop you with a light density measuring device to check the visibilty.
These are stuff which we are imagining will or might happen.Just ensure that the people inside your car are visible . Theres no point in teasing the lawmen. They had a good reason for these restrictions... just appreciate that its for your own good and follow the rules and make neccessary small adjustments to be as comfortable as you can.
If some uneducated cop stops you for making these small adjustments, simply tell him it was too hot so you hung a rag on the windows ! He'll in all probabilityr laugh and flag you away . You could give him a little baksheesh and tell him to have a cool drink !!!
All thiese discussions on window curtains, paste ons, dermatologists certificates are just silly and will only get your brains heated up.
Cool it good people, enjoy the summer and S M I L E !!!!!!!!!
shyamwestwind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 18:28   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamwestwind View Post
I honestly feel this threadneeds to be closed, for the simple reason that it is NOT SUCH A BIG DEAL !!! The Supreme Court has laid down the law based on the ugly instances of rape and molestation and other terrorist activities that were carried out behind tinted glasses.
Sorry buddy but you stay in bangalore where the weather tends to be pleasant all year around. For people like us staying in Delhi and other north indian cities Summers are very harsh. I am currently located in Vadodara and have no dedicated covered parking space. Whole day my car is out in the sun. And guess what its like an owen anytime between 10am-7pm to get in it.
So we do need sun films. Secondly the crime rate in particular rape cases have only increased since the law was passed and not vice versa which clearly shows that sun films were never the primary problem. And even then if pitch dark tints were an issue then they should have banned that and not put a blanket ban.
Quote:
If some uneducated cop stops you for making these small adjustments, simply tell him it was too hot so you hung a rag on the windows ! He'll in all probabilityr laugh and flag you away

Again mistaken. In Delhi atleast they are very strict. You will be stopped and challaned for the slightlest of tints or any of those stuck ons.

Quote:
You could give him a little baksheesh and tell him to have a cool drink !!!
Now isn't that against the concept of following the rules and regulations you mentioned above?
Old 13th May 2013, 20:41   #262

Quote:
Sorry buddy but you stay in bangalore where the weather tends to be pleasant all year around. For people like us staying in Delhi and other north indian cities Summers are very harsh. I am currently located in Vadodara and have no dedicated covered parking space. Whole day my car is out in the sun. And guess what its like an owen anytime between 10am-7pm to get in it.
So we do need sun films. Secondly the crime rate in particular rape cases have only increased since the law was passed and not vice versa which clearly shows that sun films were never the primary problem. And even then if pitch dark tints were an issue then they should have banned that and not put a blanket ban.

Again mistaken. In Delhi atleast they are very strict. You will be stopped and challaned for the slightlest of tints or any of those stuck ons.

Now isn't that against the concept of following the rules and regulations you mentioned above?

HI
I definitely will not argue about the heat in Delhi ...... I was born there !!!
Somehow I cant believe that a Delhi cop will stop you for having one of those suction screens to screen the sun !! He can clearly see who is inside and he should be able to understand that you are only blocking a bit of the hot sun rays.
If they are so very unreasonable and so very arrogant, I have nothing to add except that I pity you guys.
As this subject is still so active, isnt there some way we can put in an appeal (like a P.I.L.) to the Supreme Court to adress our genuine concerns.
We need ideas and legal advices to help us and NOT suggestions as to how to beat the Law, dont you agree ?
Yes, my friend, sitting here in Bangalore does have a cooling effect on the thought processes (SMILE !!)
Old 13th May 2013, 22:24   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Somehow I cant believe that a Delhi cop will stop you for having one of those suction screens to screen the sun !! He can clearly see who is inside and he should be able to understand that you are only blocking a bit of the hot sun rays.
If they are so very unreasonable and so very arrogant, I have nothing to add except that I pity you guys.
All the cops out there are looking for a way to make money. And to be honest if my certified film having VLT of 50 and 70% respectively is against the law and hinders in the cops ability to see inside my car then those stuck ons too are on the wrong side of law. Some of them actually offer very less visibility from both inside as well as outside.
Old 13th May 2013, 22:35   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I honestly feel this threadneeds to be closed, for the simple reason that it is NOT SUCH A BIG DEAL !!! The Supreme Court has laid down the law based on the ugly instances of rape and molestation and other terrorist activities that were carried out behind tinted glasses. As always, its the misuuse of the law that gets honest common people to have to bear up with the inconveniences
The law is there to protect us , so lets not search for devious methods to beat the law.We are over reacting !!!
Buddy, there already existed a law regarding tint that limited it to a certain visible light transmission level. Why couldn't they enforce it by coming down hard upon aftermarket shops that stocked dark tint? I'd like to be a law abiding citizen but I am NOT stupid. We live in India where the Sun pours down hard and we cannot be made to say no to any kind of sun film. This reminds me of an instance in an old ICSE school that I went to for a while. Somebody vandalized the toilets and the next morning our principal announced that no boy could go to the washroom The "law" seems to be taking the easy way out on this. I strongly believe they should have enforced the previous rule and also done their best to catch rapists and other criminals.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 11:44   #265

Guys don't we have any lawyers who can sort this out for us ?
Old 19th May 2013, 12:40   #266
BHPian

Quote:
All the cops out there are looking for a way to make money. And to be honest if my certified film having VLT of 50 and 70% respectively is against the law and hinders in the cops ability to see inside my car then those stuck ons too are on the wrong side of law. Some of them actually offer very less visibility from both inside as well as outside.
I 100% agree. I have the lightest of light films on my vehicle and have been hauled up only once by a constable but immediately allowed to go by his superior (saying it is as per BIS or words to that effect). However a few days back I was hauled up by a constable and made to pay a 100 bucks. Actually this constable was stationed at a notorius spot near Sarvodaya Nagar Mulund where a posse of policeman generally stand waiting for *Bakras* who have forgotten to wear seatbelts / films on their glass / talking on mobiles etc. I have passed by this spot atleast a 100 times but was never hauled up for this film. The only *mistake* that I made on the day I was hauled up was that my glass was only partially open and the margin of the film and glass became vissible. If I would have rolled up or down the glass fully I would not have been hauled up. Crux of the matter is that the court seems to think that blanket ban on films is the only legal way to go about stopping rapes whereas the importance should have been whether the interiors of the vehicle are clearly visible or not.
Old 19th May 2013, 13:12   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitnab View Post
Crux of the matter is that the court seems to think that blanket ban on films is the only legal way to go about stopping rapes whereas the importance should have been whether the interiors of the vehicle are clearly visible or not.
The sad part is that there is no provision for review of there judgements. Its been a year since they passed this and the number of cases of rapes etc have not only increased in number but probably also in the gruesomeness. They still want to hide themselves behind such mundane laws rather than actually do something concrete.
Old 19th May 2013, 15:51   #268
Senior - BHPian

Some say that door visors help protect from sun? Is this true?
Old 27th May 2013, 19:39   #269
BHPian

Hi All,

I just got a static electric non mesh type sun shade for my car. I believe this is allowed as per law. Any thoughts on this. This does not require water for installation as well. Just use it like a mesh sun shade.

Pics below !!! Please let me know your thoughts on this !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-image.jpg  

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-back-c.jpeg  

Old 27th May 2013, 19:52   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
Hi All,

I just got a static electric non mesh type sun shade for my car. I believe this is allowed as per law. Any thoughts on this. This does not require water for installation as well. Just use it like a mesh sun shade.

Pics below !!! Please let me know your thoughts on this !!!!!
As per the law, it is ILLEGAL. As per the law, you can not apply anything on the windows aftermarket. It is perfectly legal if retractable sun shades come factory fitted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks