Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2013, 20:12   #286
BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

My understanding is nothing can be stuck to the window but factory fitted tinted glasses within VLT limits should be allowed. If so shouldn't we be seeing new cars with the 50% / 70% VLT now?
I haven't noticed any manufacturer coming up with such an option. Is there any issue in this or have missed them?
Old 22nd June 2013, 12:56   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post

The New Transport Commissioner has already started his work. My friend was picked up today in Trivandrum for sun-film use. The police initially said that they had no option but to cancel the registration of the car. They also mentioned that they had no option since the post has now been taken up by Rishiraj Singh. He was let go finally for a fine of Rs 500/- with a strict warning to remove them ASAP.
Can they do that? Cancel the registration, I mean.
As I see it, there's got to be some laid down principle of crime and penalty. You can't just arbitrarily get up and say... Cancel registrations.
And if they are doing it, why has no one's registration been cancelled for trucks running without tail lights at night, buses driving recklessly, two wheelers driving down the wrong side of the road, ricks parked anywhere they please?
Old 23rd June 2013, 17:42   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
Hi All,

I just got a static electric non mesh type sun shade for my car. I believe this is allowed as per law. Any thoughts on this. This does not require water for installation as well. Just use it like a mesh sun shade.

Pics below !!! Please let me know your thoughts on this !!!!!
Hey!

These look quite nice. How much did these cost? Are they universal or car model specific?

And where in Delhi did you get them from?
Old 23rd June 2013, 21:02   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Guys with spectacles/Myopia can't do that.

And

wearing a cool sun shade will not help improving car's A/C and mileage. It will also not help preventing thieves from stealing ICE and stuffs like bags etc from the car.

While it is true that one will look cool with sunglasses but our car will look and feel cool with the 'then' legal sun films.
In UK you get heavy duty clear film which stops the glass breaking for prevention of theft. Some post office vans have it if carrying high value post.

The 50% rule was brought in in the 90's and I had a stand up shouting match with the cops in bombay over legal film no joy they still took it off.
Old 23rd June 2013, 21:52   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Hey!

These look quite nice. How much did these cost? Are they universal or car model specific?

And where in Delhi did you get them from?
These cost me 1200 for a set of 4 and are available with my car accessories guy in punjabi bagh !!!! K.car kunj pvt. Ltd.
Old 23rd June 2013, 22:09   #291
Senior - BHPian

What if we use the sunfilm without any tints, such as the 3M crystalline series? They would prevent the heat and would not appear like sunfilm, right?
Old 23rd June 2013, 22:20   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
What if we use the sunfilm without any tints, such as the 3M crystalline series? They would prevent the heat and would not appear like sunfilm, right?
Well you will be still on the wrong side of the law but yes I don't think the cops would be able to make it out and hence would not stop you. What is the cost of the 3M crystalline series right now?
Old 23rd June 2013, 22:45   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
My understanding is nothing can be stuck to the window but factory fitted tinted glasses within VLT limits should be allowed. If so shouldn't we be seeing new cars with the 50% / 70% VLT now?
I haven't noticed any manufacturer coming up with such an option. Is there any issue in this or have missed them?
My Nano LX comes with tinted glasses. I haven't gone through the manual to know how much sunlight it does allow, but it proves that even the Nano comes with tinted glasses. Hasn't this become some sort of a standard feature, at least on the fully loaded models, of most cars?
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 16:18   #294
BHPian

Does anyone know if the new Ford EcoSport comes with tinted glasses? The image on their website shows dark colored glasses and their spec sheet also lists a 'check' on the tinted glasses feature. Has anyone seen this in person?
Old 25th June 2013, 17:17   #295
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Does anyone know if the new Ford EcoSport comes with tinted glasses? The image on their website shows dark colored glasses and their spec sheet also lists a 'check' on the tinted glasses feature. Has anyone seen this in person?
Yes, I have seen one in person and yes it does have light tinted glasses.

Pic at the following post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3138438
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 18:40   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
My Nano LX comes with tinted glasses. I haven't gone through the manual to know how much sunlight it does allow, but it proves that even the Nano comes with tinted glasses. Hasn't this become some sort of a standard feature, at least on the fully loaded models, of most cars?
Yeah but what I have seen till now is very light tints which I suspect is not near 50 / 70 legal limit. That is something I am not very clear.
Old 25th June 2013, 21:04   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Well you will be still on the wrong side of the law but yes I don't think the cops would be able to make it out and hence would not stop you. What is the cost of the 3M crystalline series right now?
I guess it should be around 16K all round.
Old 25th June 2013, 23:36   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yeah but what I have seen till now is very light tints which I suspect is not near 50 / 70 legal limit. That is something I am not very clear.
The legal permissible limits must mean the max ceiling. So just because the law allows, doesn't mean one should.

Maybe the automakers want to play safe? Or maybe there is some other reason we are not aware of.
Old 30th June 2013, 12:12   #299
BHPian

Quote:
The problem could be that, with police not having sufficient measurement devices, these light transmission percentages could also become quite subjective. Imagine what would happen if the police insisted that the VLT of your tinted glass is not 50%. With films you at least had the option of removing them but with glass what are you supposed to do?
nitnab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 12:12   #300
BHPian

Heard on FM radio today the following-

1. Buses are no longer supposed to have any kind of film or curtains.
2. When the bus contractors opposed this, the Government now have allowed them to have sunfilm meeting the VLT requirements- 70% visibility in front, and 50% visibility in sides.

My questions are-

1. Is the above true?
2. If yes, how do they plan to enforce it- using light meters?
3. If they can enforce the rule on buses, why not on cars?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks