Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2013, 13:45   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitnab View Post
The problem could be that, with police not having sufficient measurement devices, these light transmission percentages could also become quite subjective. Imagine what would happen if the police insisted that the VLT of your tinted glass is not 50%. With films you at least had the option of removing them but with glass what are you supposed to do?

What equipments ? A simple Android smartphone can have application for light measurements. I have tested these apps and the light meter is as good as built in one in DSLR.

Alternatively they can have RTO endorcement and only compliant products with hologram etc can be allowed.

Present situation is because judiocracy is in full force and governence is at it's nadir.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 15:36   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
What equipments ? A simple Android smartphone can have application for light measurements. I have tested these apps and the light meter is as good as built in one in DSLR.

Alternatively they can have RTO endorcement and only compliant products with hologram etc can be allowed.

Present situation is because judiocracy is in full force and governence is at it's nadir.
I agree it's not a big deal to get the calibrated meter but Avishek Goenka who petitioned the courts against use of films has specifically mentioned that "this device is a scarce resource and is very scantily available with police personnel in India". These are the very words used in his petion and I wonder why no one raised the point during the hearings, that this equipment does not cost crores to buy nor any special qualification to use.
nitnab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 14:22   #303
Senior - BHPian

saw this item :
http://autofurnish.com/p/288/car-curtains-verna-fluidic
from their site:
Quote:
Following are the Main Features of Auto Sunshields Side Window :-
1. Automatically work: There is a very tiny hook attached to window glass, which brings sunshade fabric rolls up/down freely with window glass up&down
2. Setup easily & securely in secs: We just stick tube<Aluminum> onto your side car door surface using Double Side Adhesive Tape without dismounting any facility.
3. Increases privacy: Sunshade fabric has a special function what could avoid people seeing inside from outside, But could see outside clearly from inside, so doesn't disturb your view.
4. Rays-filtering: Sunshade provides year round protection against suns harmful rays, which keeps the skin and interior decorations from burning.
5. Fabric can roll into the tube when not in use.
6. Anti-dust, water-proof and fire-resistant.
it is a curtain with the option of winding up the cloth which will cover the glasses if it is not used?
Attached Thumbnails
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-0002688_carautomaticsidewindowsunshadesetof4pcsforvernafludic.jpeg  

deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 23:40   #304
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
saw this item :
http://autofurnish.com/p/288/car-curtains-verna-fluidic
from their site:

it is a curtain with the option of winding up the cloth which will cover the glasses if it is not used?
I checked their website and they do not have curtains for either the Ford Fiesta or the Endeavour. . Those are the two cars I own.

Incidentally, Chennai Traffic Police are up in arms against the use of Sun Control Films. I paid a 100 buck find today for the Sun Films my Fiesta. I hope this sudden awareness of CTP ends after the visit of Mr. President to Chennai tomorrow.
Old 7th August 2013, 00:16   #305
BHPian

Honestly, I'm surprised to know that people are still using the Sun films in the country. In Chandigarh, it'll be hard to cover a distance of 2Kms without the cops asking you to pull over.

I understand the frustration and was furious at the decision to ban the sun films in India but at this stage I don't see a viable alternative which is Legal at a reasonable cost. I asked Hyundai if they have any tinted glass for my Verna fluidic and passed on my feedback that if they did, that will be their highest selling accessory but I don't think we are going to see this anytime soon.

As with anything in the country, it'll probably take a decade for them to realise that banning Sun Films is not the solution towards crime against Women.
Ravi_chd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 01:55   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
How about filling some muddy water or even better water mixed with fly ash in a water sprayer and spray your glass windows neatly from outside.
That same trick is used with number plates as well, and one vehicle was confiscated in the middle east (I can't remember which country).

If you were to go on a Mahendra Adventure Off-Road Challenge, you would have the whole vehicle coated in a layer of mud. The pattern would be convincing enough for them to let you go, but if you apply the dirt only onto the windows, they would still find a reason to stop you.

If you are driving on the highways at night, the dust on the front windshield that builds up after a few hours is thick enough to reduce vision but doesn't help in reducing sun light so keeping the front windshield clear would still be necessary.

BTW, do you remember the car driven by Spike in Buffy The Vampire Slayer? Black paint on the glasses, like in those Ambassadors used in Mumbai for kidnappings.
Old 7th August 2013, 14:15   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi_chd View Post
...As with anything in the country, it'll probably take a decade for them to realise that banning Sun Films is not the solution towards crime against Women.
Well said, Ravi_chd !
I guess this is one other sad irony of life in India
Old 26th August 2013, 14:40   #308
BHPian

Here in Bangalore, all the retailers are openly selling 70% visibility sunfilms. A lot of vehicles are getting them too. My trusted accessories vendor offered a commitment that he would return the money if I get into any troubles or fine with the traffic cops.

Its an irony that we are a country with 29 countries - each having its own set of customized laws when it comes to automotive.
pahwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 10:18   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Posting it here since this is the only thread now active regarding Sunfilms.

Yesterday had gone for some work to Ahmedabad and for the first time in Gujarat was stopped by a cop. He asked me for my DL and other documents which to his annoyance I kept shoving one after the other in his face. In the end he said my car has films and SC has banned and Gujarat HC has ordered them to take all Sun films off. I showed him the Vkool letter stating that the films abide by the 50/70% visibilty clause ( which was true until all films were banned). He probably got confused or whatever and luckily for me let me go. From then on I started noticing and could see every other car with films, some very dark. I sincerely hope he stopped me because of the Delhi number plates with the idea of making some money and they are not going to start enforcing the moronic Sun film rule here. Here in Vadodara, I still haven't seen any cop doing this.
Old 12th September 2013, 19:22   #310
BHPian

Hello folks,

I bumped into one of the alternatives for sunfilm which has been shared earlier on the thread as well.

However, just wanted to check if anyone has used this and is it legal?

Window Glass Shields/Curtain @ 699 for Set of 2
Old 12th September 2013, 19:51   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Hello folks,

I bumped into one of the alternatives for sunfilm which has been shared earlier on the thread as well.

However, just wanted to check if anyone has used this and is it legal?

Window Glass Shields/Curtain @ 699 for Set of 2
Let us say that they are legal as long as you are not caught with them on in traffic police checks. Otherwise, let us not create mockery of the rules and regulations. Nothing is legal unless it is bare original car glass as given by the manufacturer.

A few points on this type of fittings since you are asking:
1. These are made for specific cars as the car window width and height are specific to its own kind. Hence buy these online if 100% sure that they are made for the car in question. Otherwise, check in person in market and then only buy.

2. The cost specified here is way too low. I have no idea how come and it gives me bad feeling. The cost of these in Sion, Mulund car accessories markets is in the range of Rs 3500-5000.

3. The cost here is also for a Set of 2. The proper set comes in a Set of 4 pieces properly packed in a box.

4. The best curtains among these I think are P8 which cost something like Rs 4800/- with better reinforcement for keeping the edges straight.

5. The black curtains seem pretty useful as I have experienced first hand on my Innova.

I have posted this elsewhere, here is a pic of the curtain on the window (not P8), this set cost me Rs 3600/- incl fitting in Mulund market.

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-p1160258.jpg

Last edited by Eddy : 12th September 2013 at 20:46.
parsh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 23:02   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Let us say that they are legal as long as you are not caught with them on in traffic police checks. Otherwise, let us not create mockery of the rules and regulations. .

Attachment 1137742

Thanks Parsh,

Before I go ahead, size should not be a problem as I drive a Xylo and as far as they cover a part of the rear (middle) windows I am okay.

I will tell you where I am coming from. I was one of the 1st folks who got the films removed without any fuss when the rule was passed. However, a couple of weeks back (trip to Goa) I did miss the films a lot especially during the 11-3 period when sun is not so forgiving. I simply got my wife to hang her stole on the windows by pinching them through the glass.

Now the main reason for checking this option - I will be driving to Ratnagiri next week and I have my two small nephews (1.5 yrs & 4 yrs) and for them to sleep peacefully with minimal sun rays (No night driving with those kids for company) affecting their slumber this is more of an optional arrangement.

If these can serve the highway journey all the way to Ratnagiri and then back via Kolhapur to Mumbai, I am sorted.
Old 13th September 2013, 09:15   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
If these can serve the highway journey all the way to Ratnagiri and then back via Kolhapur to Mumbai, I am sorted.
They should serve much more I think. I had a 1.5yr infant with me and it is all hunky dory.

But before jumping in, will suggest you to go and check personally in the markets, how much of window area they cover, what is their thickness etc. Otherwise, you may be better off buying double sets of normal stick on nets, multiple can be placed on a window if needed.
parsh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 12:48   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Posting it here since this is the only thread now active regarding Sunfilms.

I sincerely hope he stopped me because of the Delhi number plates with the idea of making some money and they are not going to start enforcing the moronic Sun film rule here. Here in Vadodara, I still haven't seen any cop doing this.
I have to travel for work to Ahmedabad for atleast 10 days in a month. Mine being a MH car am stopped always because of MH plate, where as GJ cars with films darker than opaque wall just zip past. I always tell them that I am harassed because I have a MH plate and ask to take my MH license for which I will fight in court and even make a complaint against you. Initially I always used to pay official fine of 100 for films but now I have removed them and guess what I still get stopped. I have even had cops who tell me sau rupiya toh che! (its only Rs.100).

Lately I feel even our SC verdicts seem to have lost touch with the real world.
Old 13th September 2013, 12:59   #315
BHPian

I was caught 3 times by cops in Mumbai. So I have finally taken down the sun films... Well it costed me more to take down the films than to put them on since I got the sun films free with the car and paid Rs300 to have them removed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks