Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2014, 14:46   #331
BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
I was planning to install 3M CR70 film only on the front windshield. I know it's still illegal, but what are the chances of being caught. By the way I stay in Chennai and summer's not far away. Any info?
Hi Rajiv,

I've CR70 installed all around (excluding windscreen) 9 months back. The chances will be very less and ask 3M people to remove the 3M logo in all 5 glasses.
Jebs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 20:24   #332
BHPian

I got a British imported sunfilm applied for my entire car (Windshield, sides and back), which cost me around 21k. Its almost transparent. These sheets were imported a couple of years back by the dealer, and hence got them at old prices. Its impossible for anyone to make out if sheets are present. Heat reduction is between 40-50%. I am not using AC these days. The rides have become extremely comfortable (Car is a Honda City). PM me if you need details.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 7th January 2014 at 20:25.
bsdbsd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 21:26   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
I got a British imported sunfilm applied for my entire car (Windshield, sides and back), which cost me around 21k. Its almost transparent. These sheets were imported a couple of years back by the dealer, and hence got them at old prices. Its impossible for anyone to make out if sheets are present. Heat reduction is between 40-50%. I am not using AC these days. The rides have become extremely comfortable (Car is a Honda City). PM me if you need details.
For that cost even the 3M CR70 or Vkool Vk70 will work out fine. There heat rejection is probably little more and are quite transparent.
Old 8th January 2014, 06:45   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
For that cost even the 3M CR70 or Vkool Vk70 will work out fine. There heat rejection is probably little more and are quite transparent.
I revisited my CC bill and found that the total bill for the film was about 18K, not 21K as mentioned earlier, as I had added another car accessory item to the bill inadvertently.

I was not aware of 3M CR70 till date, as I had not visited this side of the forum, which was a mistake. But the films I have now is really cool, and the guy who does it for me is a VERY trusted guy.

The heat rejection thing becomes subjective, once the films swing to action during sunlight. Though percentage-wise it may be 40/50/60+, "feeling-wise" its way more than that. Car remains cool and all the harsh lights are eliminated. The external GPS unit kept on the dashboard used to get heated within 5 mins of a drive, now remains cool even after 8 hours of drive. I tested this during my recent drive to Goa.

<Crib>
Its in the Indian's inherent nature that we render life more difficult by having impediments all along the way towards an easy life. Sun film rule is one among them.
</Crib>

The rumour is that the future governments may do away with this rule. Keeping fingers crossed.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 8th January 2014 at 06:50. Reason: Added more details
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 18:15   #335
BHPian

Based on a couple of queries I received, I am inserting a few snaps of the car with the film on.

The first one does not have the film. The rest others have them. I have included some "from within" snaps to indicate the interior environment with the film on. All photos are taken from my BlackBerry. Yes, a few people still use them.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-img2014010900250.jpg  

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-img2014010900253.jpg  

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-img2014010900252.jpg  

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-img2014010900251.jpg  

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-img2014010900249.jpg  

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-img2014010900247.jpg  

bsdbsd is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 10:42   #336
BHPian

This definitely looks lighter than CR70. I had put CR70 on my new i20 last week (including front) and it looks much darker than the pictures posted here.
motor_breathing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 13:36   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
This definitely looks lighter than CR70. I had put CR70 on my new i20 last week (including front) and it looks much darker than the pictures posted here.
Anyone has tried CR90? Want to know whether CR90 is less dark than CR70 to avoid getting caught and if it provides sufficient heat rejection in summer?

Last edited by mohan41 : 10th January 2014 at 13:44.
Old 10th January 2014, 14:35   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Where did you find CR90 & what's the rate ?
Old 10th January 2014, 15:02   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Anyone has tried CR90? Want to know whether CR90 is less dark than CR70 to avoid getting caught and if it provides sufficient heat rejection in summer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Where did you find CR90 & what's the rate ?
I have the CR90 on the front windshield of my Amaze. It is virtually impossible to detect because, in all fairness, a 10% change in the visibility factor is hardly anything. Quite expensive though - it costed me Rs 7600 just for the front windshield. Difficult to measure actual heat reduction, especially because I've only got it done for the front windshield.
Top-Gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 11:38   #340
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
A new Japanese nano technology comes to India that can replace those tinted car window films that were banned by the Supreme Court in April 2012.
This comes in the form of a colorless spray paint that keeps the skin damaging ultra violet and infrared rays from the sun out of the car, yet keeping the car windows transparent as per the Supreme Court regulations.
Fumin Global, the company which owns the global patent for this technology, on Tuesday launched the product under the brand name Stay-Kool in Hyderabad, which will be followed with a national launch at the Delhi Auto Expo.
“This technology not only costs less than half that of the solar control films earlier being used, but also reduces AC energy consumption by 20-30 per cent. It can also be used for buildings, which we will target later,” Ashok Roy, Managing Director, told media persons.
A new innovation which could help us counter the harsh summer!

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle5653217.ece
MCR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 12:44   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
A new innovation which could help us counter the harsh summer!

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle5653217.ece
This is really interesting any idea how this is different from glass that is uv treated? If it offers any more protection, I would like to know more.
Old 5th February 2014, 12:50   #342
BHPian

Quote:
...Its impossible for anyone to make out if sheets are present...
Today I was pulled over by traffic SI under KH Road (Double Road) overpass due to suspicion of jumping red. The police inspector took his sweet time in guiding me to a parking place, did few things on BlackBerry before he started reading out my perceived offense. Not even for a single moment I thought that he could notice the film. Nope, he did not notice at all. I informed him that he could have mistaken me jumping the red, but all I was doing was patiently waiting for the traffic in front of me to clear. He let me off with a wide grin without further arguments. There goes the film validation.
Old 5th February 2014, 14:23   #343
BHPian

I want to put some film on my front windscreen. The heat generated by the sun within the cabin is really unbearable. What type of sun film will be best? I want to put up something which cannot be easily made out by the cops.
About the below spray ... is it available in Mumbai yet? If so where I can get it?

Last edited by sukhoi30 : 5th February 2014 at 14:23. Reason: correct typo
Old 5th February 2014, 16:21   #344
Senior - BHPian

Whats the point of a CR90 or 100% transparent sunfilm? And to think of spending 5-20k on it!!! Will it ever even pay off?

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 5th February 2014 at 16:26.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 14:22   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Today I was pulled over by traffic SI under KH Road (Double Road) overpass due to suspicion of jumping red. The police inspector took his sweet time in guiding me to a parking place, did few things on BlackBerry before he started reading out my perceived offense. Not even for a single moment I thought that he could notice the film. Nope, he did not notice at all. I informed him that he could have mistaken me jumping the red, but all I was doing was patiently waiting for the traffic in front of me to clear. He let me off with a wide grin without further arguments. There goes the film validation.
You are lucky I would say.
Here in Delhi, the cops asked me to roll down the windows & used to touch the edges to identify if the film is present or not.
Some cops could not see the film, even then they used to try hard at edges to find the border of the film.
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed