Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2014, 16:28   #346
Team-BHP Support

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

I removed the sunfilm on the side widows but retained the rear window. Strangely enough, the heat radiation from the rear is much more than that of the side windows. the surfacetemperature of the plain glass is much less.

Sure, the light is a lot more but the heat radiation is much less. The A/C copes even better

Strange!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 12:50   #347
BHPian

>>>
I have V Kool 70 on all glasses of my car for the earlier legally permitted VLT & IRR-UVR.Four years on I think it is a good idea to remove the earlier one and get a new set.
Is the VKool 70 still available? Or is there any other brand/ type better in terms of IRR-UVR at the same VLT?
I got it installed at the VKool shop next to Pawan Hans in Vile Parle on SV Road, Bombay.
I so have a retractable mesh curtain at the rear screen as a VW accessory. I am not sure if a mesh curtain can be installed at the side windows of the Jetta (MkV).
Please advise.
issigonis
Old 9th February 2014, 13:51   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
I want to put some film on my front windscreen. The heat generated by the sun within the cabin is really unbearable. What type of sun film will be best? I want to put up something which cannot be easily made out by the cops.
About the below spray ... is it available in Mumbai yet? If so where I can get it?
Sorry buddy, if you were in Bangalore I could have helped you out.

There are good heat rejection films available in market, which makes the summer bearable. Though they are almost transparent, but if you see two panes side-by-side, (like looking from side profile), two glasses add up, and one with a keen eye can make out something being present. Refer to my photos in the same thread.

Regarding cops catching you...its purely your luck. As long as very dark tinted cars are still running around, you can "feel" safe. But if they are in a mood to mess you up, they can always do it.

Without the sunfilms, cars ACs and the people inside can not cope up. My kids suffered sunstroke inside the car while driving near Salem, TN, and I shudder to think about what else could have gone bad.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 22:32   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post

There are good heat rejection films available in market.

Hi bsdbsd
I am from Bangalore and am interested in getting the filming done, please share the details
Old 23rd February 2014, 23:11   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you share details on the different types and cost for the same. Thinking of getting some kind of UV screen as the drives during summer months will be unbearable
Old 24th February 2014, 16:15   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirthankard77 View Post
Hi bsdbsd
I am from Bangalore and am interested in getting the filming done, please share the details
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Can you share details on the different types and cost for the same. Thinking of getting some kind of UV screen as the drives during summer months will be unbearable
Have PM'ed the details. All the best!
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 19:28   #352
Senior - BHPian

On a lighter note, here's this WagonR guy with an off-beat idea to help. Completely Natural, cost effective and Legal! lol
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-image.jpg
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 13:04   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Garware SL 70,100% Transparent
The user did mention that the heat rejection is good. Also, it's 100% transparent which makes it look like the car got no films at all
Do you know anyone in Bangalore who fits Garware sunfilms??

Last edited by procrj : 25th February 2014 at 13:28.
Old 25th February 2014, 13:39   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Do you know anyone in Bangalore who fits Garware sunfilms??
I have no idea but most of the shops would have these. Else I would suggest you to get in touch with bhpian Binford to get the technical specs of the films. This might help you out.
Old 25th February 2014, 13:58   #355
Senior - BHPian

I even tried inserting the sun shade in the gap after rolling the window down and then rolling the window up thereby keeping the sun shade intact. But i was caught by the cops who said that nothing should be there on the windows.
Old 25th February 2014, 16:31   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I even tried inserting the sun shade in the gap after rolling the window down and then rolling the window up thereby keeping the sun shade intact. But i was caught by the cops who said that nothing should be there on the windows.
See, this is the confusion that prevails all across India. If you read the supreme court directive clearly, there are two things that came out ...
1. One of the reasons for higher crime is due to rampant use of "dark" sun films on vehicles.
2. According to Motor Vehicles Act (some section it mentions, don;t know what) ... the glasses of vehicles should be manufactured with 70% VLT on windscreens and 50% VLT on all other windows.

The judgement says that according to the MVA you are non-compliant if you stick any film on the windows to alter the VLT of the original manufacture. Accordingly, police can fine or remove such films on the windows.

There is no mention of not putting up any shade against the window. But who will educate these police walas? Someone need to at least frame the laws properly.
Old 1st March 2014, 22:53   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Today I was pulled over by traffic SI under KH Road (Double Road) overpass due to suspicion of jumping red. ...He let me off with a wide grin without further arguments. There goes the film validation.
Contrary to your experience, my Innova was once stopped on Old Madras Road by Indiranagar traffic police oppostie the Bayapannahalli metro station. The second time 2 weeks later was near Gurudwara at Ulsoor.

Both times the cop let me off when I said sun film is not opaque and I protested about how the rules are not clear. I was advised to remove the film nevertheless. Sun film check was a priority here.

Two observations - the cop checks for film and in particular that it not cover 100% of the glass area. This cop said at least 5% should be without sunfilm. Now, I never heard of that.

The second and perhaps more useful point is the cop checks for history of previous fines and any dues. Apparently, if you have been fined once and the film has not been removed, the fine doubles! This collection carrot seems to be a strong motivation.

I have VKool on my car. Front windscreen is VK70, which is quite transparent
Rest of the car - side, rear have "Light Diamond" with a slight tint...which cops are detecting.

VK70 apparently transmits 70% light while rejecting 55% heat and 99% UV radiation

VK-Light Diamond transmits 58% light while rejecting 59% heat and 99% UV.

So, my thought is if the nuisance persists, I will consider using VK70 all round.

The comparable ones to VKool as per Reliance Autozone site are - Llumar PP70SR, and 3M's CR70, the latter being best overall spec at 70%T, 59%H, 99% U.

Please suggest other choices.
dhuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 01:52   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
The comparable ones to VKool as per Reliance Autozone site are - Llumar PP70SR, and 3M's CR70, the latter being best overall spec at 70%T, 59%H, 99% U.

Please suggest other choices.
Some other choices are:
Garware Icecool Shield
Saint Gobain SolarGard
Old 3rd March 2014, 14:22   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
Contrary to your experience, my Innova was once stopped on Old Madras Road...

I have VKool on my car. Front windscreen is VK70, which is quite transparent
Rest of the car - side, rear have "Light Diamond" with a slight tint...which cops are detecting.

VK70 apparently transmits 70% light while rejecting 55% heat and 99% UV radiation
Hello, your post was useful in understanding various sunfilms, and in addition the info about Indiranagar police's pattern! Looks like they have lot of time on their hands in enforcing the sunfilm rule, while the traffic around has gone to dogs. Its distressing to see Bangalore traffic cops milling around intersections looking for violations, while the traffic-order is thrown into wind and there is chaos all around. Enough of rant.

Given the limited choices we have, we can not delve too much in to the stats part of sunfilms (light/heat rejection) etc. If you are satisfied with a particular sunfilm, suggest you to stick with it. I had not ventured in to this side of T-BHP, until after my car was plastered with sunfilms. I did not know about V-KOOL as well. I have PMed various T-BHP members on the details of my sunfilm, and I hope they find success. Please let me know if you are interested, and I can share the same.

Once again, thank you for your comments.
Old 20th March 2014, 08:38   #360
Senior - BHPian

Saw This net type curtains on a friend's Innova yesterday. Apparently they are now available for most cars. The pics are not too good. There is a hook where the curtain is hooked onto the window and slides up and down with it.Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-img_20140319_143516.jpg

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-img_20140319_143507.jpg

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-img_20140319_143444.jpg
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed