Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2014, 09:07   #361
BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
I got a British imported sunfilm applied for my entire car (Windshield, sides and back), which cost me around 21k....PM me if you need details.
bsdbsd, could you kindly forward me those details ? I've been evaluating CR70 for sometime now but this looks like a promising alternative.
Old 20th March 2014, 09:30   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Today I was pulled over by traffic SI under KH Road (Double Road) overpass due to suspicion of jumping red. The police inspector took his sweet time in guiding me to a parking place, did few things on BlackBerry before he started reading out my perceived offense. Not even for a single moment I thought that he could notice the film. Nope, he did not notice at all. I informed him that he could have mistaken me jumping the red, but all I was doing was patiently waiting for the traffic in front of me to clear. He let me off with a wide grin without further arguments. There goes the film validation.
In mumbai, I came across cops asking you to roll down the window and physically checking the edge of the glass. A film is easily detected at the edge of the glass where it sits on top of the glass. May be they do this on cars where they suspect of having a film.

But this is getting really frustrating now - SC needs to do something about their order. Not having sun-films in a country like ours is plain stupid.
Old 20th March 2014, 10:50   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Saw This net type curtains on a friend's Innova yesterday. Apparently they are now available for most cars. The pics are not too good. There is a hook where the curtain is hooked onto the window and slides up and down with it.Attachment 1221842

Attachment 1221843

Attachment 1221844
What is the exact name of this curtain. Is it available in bangalore and applicable for Hyundai Santro Xing??
Old 20th March 2014, 11:56   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque!! View Post
But this is getting really frustrating now - SC needs to do something about their order. Not having sun-films in a country like ours is plain stupid.
+1 to the above, this law is typical of a knee jerk reaction from the Govt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
What is the exact name of this curtain. Is it available in bangalore and applicable for Hyundai Santro Xing??
I have been using these curtains for the past 2.5 years in my Linea. The product is called "P8 Car Curtains" and are car model specific, though some types can be shared across similar window models.

You will need to enquire with a retailer in Bangalore if they are available for your Santro!
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 12:31   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In mumbai, I came across cops asking you to roll down the window and physically checking the edge of the glass. A film is easily detected at the edge of the glass where it sits on top of the glass. May be they do this on cars where they suspect of having a film.

Ideally the govt should have enforced the law of maintaining the transparency of glass (through policing). Since the govt or law enforcement agencies are incompetent, the SC steps in to pass such judgments.

Shouldn't the courts just make sure that laws are followed exactly as they are written? And not try to make new rules ? Any loop holes should be fixed again by the govt by passing amendments.

Last edited by srishiva : 20th March 2014 at 12:34.
Old 20th March 2014, 13:57   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Shouldn't the courts just make sure that laws are followed exactly as they are written? And not try to make new rules ? Any loop holes should be fixed again by the govt by passing amendments.
Couldn't agree with you more. I do not necessarily understand law much, but from what I understand, Courts should not be making laws. They should just be ensuring that laws are upheld. This is a classic case of Courts making laws because the law enforcement mechanism is a failure.
Old 20th March 2014, 16:25   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Got CR70 on the front windshield and RE70 on all other windows and rear windshield. I must say that 3M HSR did an excellent job installing the film.

1. The films are installed in such a way that there is no gap between the top of the window and the film, which means that cops wont find the edge when they try to search

2. The tint is very light and till date none of the cops have stopped me (even though there has been heavy checking in Bangalore over the last few weeks)

3. The heat rejection is really good. Can feel the difference when you drive with windows rolled down and when windows are up. Rarely used the AC in spite of driving at noon during the weekends

Was very skeptical before I got these installed but now I should say that are worth it. Still feel that its a little on the expensive side . Pic of the car with the film
Attached Thumbnails
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-wagr.jpg  

procrj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 22:50   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Check out their website
http://www.amritrasindia.com/window_curtain/

Link courtesy: Google ofcourse
sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2014, 16:59   #369
BHPian

Quote:
I got a British imported sunfilm applied for my entire car (Windshield, sides and back), which cost me around 21k. Its almost transparent. These sheets were imported a couple of years back by the dealer, and hence got them at old prices. Its impossible for anyone to make out if sheets are present. Heat reduction is between 40-50%. I am not using AC these days. The rides have become extremely comfortable (Car is a Honda City). PM me if you need details.
Hi BSD,

I'm based in Bangalore and have recently bought Skoda Rapid. I came across your thread while looking for Sunfilms to beat the Bangalore heat. Been to 3M last weekend and they're quite expensive although I guess they are the best available in the market, correct me if I'm wrong.

Its been more than a month now since you've installed the sunfilms on your car I suppose. Appreciate if you can share your experience and provide me the dealers contact details.

Thanks
Peter
Old 23rd March 2014, 22:44   #370
BHPian

Which are the most light and good performing films from Garware which will not create problems? No 3M at my place hence looking for Garware. Already purchased Arctic Cool Shield from Garware for the front windshield. Need something good for the sides and rear now. Please advise.
Old 24th March 2014, 10:08   #371
BHPian

Quote:
In mumbai, I came across cops....

Strongly agree. Summer is becoming unbearable already. Get a high end sunfilm on all sides, and if get caught, remove the side ones. This will prevent at least 60% of heat coming inside the car.

Even with the high end sunfilm on, the insides of my car became very hot yesterday (23rd March), when I had parked it outside. This is becoming a health hazard.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 24th March 2014 at 10:24. Reason: Corrected typos
Old 24th March 2014, 10:14   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspeter View Post
Hi BSD,
Its been more than a month now since you've installed the sunfilms on your car I suppose. Appreciate if you can share your experience and provide me the dealers contact details.

Thanks
Peter
Congratulations Peter on your Rapid purchase. Excellent choice. I am very impressed with this car, but lack of cruise control made me buy other product. It has a stately presence on the road, well proportioned and strong to look at (not just beautiful).

The brit imported sunfilms that I dressed up my car with, is working wonders. My long drives and city drives have become pleasurable. I have put the same sunfilm on all glass surfaces (sides, front and back). Its not noticeable at all - unless you view it from side-by-side (exactly), wherein two slightly tinted glasses make it appear slightly dark. But you need to have hawk's eyes to detect this. Its been almost 4 months since I put these on and has given me the confidence to take on Indian summer.

I can PM you the vendor details. Team-BHP is not providing 'Send Private Message' option for your login. Please check and let me know. For Rapid, budget around 20k. Worth every rupee.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 24th March 2014 at 10:15.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 10:28   #373
BHPian

Quote:
I am very impressed with this car, but lack of cruise control made me buy other product. It has a stately presence on the road, well proportioned and strong to look at (not just beautiful).
Well I agree, the road presence and torque gives me tremendous confidence on the road. The gear shift are so seamless, its a class apart with other cars in this segment. My original choice was Honda City for couple of reasons; reliability, cruise control & pedal shift but the 2014 City turned me off. It was pretty easy to decide once I tested MY14 Rapid.

Regarding the Sunfilms, I decided to play it safe and opted for ASFW Excel 70. My original choice was 3M but I didn't want to spend 25K and run into the risk of cops peeling it off. But I definitely noticed a difference in AC performance after exposing my car to the SUN. So chilling at the moment

Thanks anyways.
Old 24th March 2014, 10:49   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspeter View Post
Well I agree, the road presence and torque gives me tremendous confidence on the road. The gear shift are so seamless, its a class apart with other cars in this segment. My original choice was Honda City for couple of reasons; reliability, cruise control & pedal shift but the 2014 City turned me off. It was pretty easy to decide once I tested MY14 Rapid.

Regarding the Sunfilms, I decided to play it safe and opted for ASFW Excel 70. My original choice was 3M but I didn't want to spend 25K and run into the risk of cops peeling it off. But I definitely noticed a difference in AC performance after exposing my car to the SUN. So chilling at the moment

Thanks anyways.
Can you tell me from which shop you installed the ASFW Excel 70 in Bangalore and approximate cost for having it installed on a typical sedan (front, back and sides)? I'm waiting for Stay-Kool technology as well but that might be expensive as well looking at initial reports.
Old 24th March 2014, 11:22   #375
Senior - BHPian

Found this 100% transparent sun-film, not sure if this works. Thinking of trying for side glasses. Check product 2 in below website.

http://4msecuritysolutions.in/products.html

I now wonder why is 3M or other manufacturers not coming up with 100% transparent sun-film, or they already have this ?

Most Viewed