Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2014, 20:34   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Any Android smartphone can measure light .
For checking films equipment need not be as precise as seconic light meter just like a breath analyser need not be as precise as a laboratory equipment.

I feel if this ruling is equally enforced on higher judiciary's cars in Delhi then lordship will appreciate the reasons.
Old 31st May 2014, 20:48   #422
Senior - BHPian

Remember that the SC is only giving a logical ruling on the law as it exists. Nothing stops Parliament from enacting a change in the law to accommodate requests of TBHP members, although I can't see that happening. For one, they are unable to agree on more important things, though that should not be the case for the next 5 years. And second, it would legalise the additional risk to night driving on Indian roads, that are already the ones with highest death rates by accidents in the world.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 21:22   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
What is the difference between 3M CR70 and the transparent film you mentioned ? Are both the same ?

The price for starters! 3M was more than double of what I paid for the Llumar. The 3M film was something thicker than the Llumar film. For a flyway tag on my windscreen I had to make a cut out on the 3M while now I use it as it is. This is almost 90% VLT of the OEM glass. I am currently in shimla but will share a pic of the car tomorrow morning and you can barely notice the film on her.

Rohan

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 4th June 2014, 14:17   #424
BHPian

After much suffering in the heat with black cars, i decided to get these custom made magnetic sun shades installed.

The shades have a profound effect on how hot the car gets while standing out in the sun. the cooling nature of the air conditioning also gets a boost.

The shades were not as expensive as 3M sun films and can be snapped on & off whenever and if-ever a cop objects...

Cost for the shades:
6 pieces for Tata Storme: 3500
4 Pieces for Toyota Camry: 2500
2 pieces (front pass & driver only) for Mercedes S Class: 1500
6 Pieces for Audi Q7: 3200

The shades leave no marks/gunk as they are magnetic and not adhesive based.
Pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-20140604-12.59.34.jpg  

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-20140604-13.00.02.jpg  

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-20140604-13.00.24.jpg  

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-20140604-13.01.12.jpg  

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-20140604-13.01.39.jpg  

mkaysaw is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 14:26   #425
BHPian

looks interesting, can you tell me where was the installation done and the address.
This could be a good alternate to beat the heat.
Old 4th June 2014, 14:35   #426
BHPian

Wow, the matt wrapping on the Storme look cool!
Add to it these good looking shades, and the ride becomes hot.

I guess the high price is just initial hoopla behind the fact that its not commonly available.
else these would not be worth more than 50 bucks a piece when it becomes widely available
Old 4th June 2014, 20:22   #427
BHPian

Some pics of my Laura with the Llumar 90 film on front and sides.

I had also seen these magnetic shades but didn't find them useful at all. You can't drive with them with the windows rolled down and they created a major blind spot on both the driver side orvm and the passenger side orvm.

Cheers
Rohan

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-imageuploadedbyteambhp1401893524.042443.jpgLegal Alternatives to Sun Film-imageuploadedbyteambhp1401893543.625387.jpgLegal Alternatives to Sun Film-imageuploadedbyteambhp1401893561.727024.jpg

Old 5th June 2014, 09:00   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
It's hardly noticeable . For the front, is there a risk of peeling/damaging the film when you try to use those vacuum GPS/Mobile holders?
Old 5th June 2014, 09:49   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
It's hardly noticeable . For the front, is there a risk of peeling/damaging the film when you try to use those vacuum GPS/Mobile holders?
None at all. I used my MapMyIndia GPS on a recent trip and it came off without any issues whatsoever. The trick, in my opinion, is to let the car bake for a day in the sun post application of the film and also avoid sticking something for 2-3 days post application. Once the film is properly set, there shouldn't be an issue.

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 14:59   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Sorry buddy, if you were in Bangalore I could have helped you out.

There are good heat rejection films available in market, which makes the summer bearable. Though they are almost transparent, but if you see two panes side-by-side, (like looking from side profile), two glasses add up, and one with a keen eye can make out something being present. Refer to my photos in the same thread.

*SNIP*
Hi bsdbsd, I am new to B'lore, I am buying an i20 Asta Diesel tomorrow morning and I would like to install sun-control films that have the highest possible heat rejection while having the highest possible undetectability too.

I know it is not possible to have the highest in both therefore I would give preference to undetectability if I have to.

I was wondering if you would point me in the right direction, and also let me know how much I can expect to spend on this.

Thanks and cheers
Old 7th June 2014, 22:31   #431

@tilt, you might wanna rethink that decision.

For everyone's reference, I got this information from Hyderabad traffic police directly. Posted on their FB profile & got the following clarification from them on sunfilm :

Summary:
No one can paste any type of film on any of the glasses of a vehicle. The allowed VLT of 70% and 50% has to come in the glass from the manufacturer. It means if anyone wants to apply any tint they have to get there glasses changed with VLT of 70% for front and back & VLT of 50% for side glasses. No kind of film can be put/pasted on any of the glasses and it has been clearly defined in the SC judgement.

Full clarification available here :
http://hyderabad.trafficpolice.co.in...-to-black.html
Old 8th June 2014, 09:04   #432
BHPian

Quote:

I had also seen these magnetic shades but didn't find them useful at all. You can't drive with them with the windows rolled down and they created a major blind spot on both the driver side orvm and the passenger side orvm.

Cheers
Rohan

Attachment 1247081Attachment 1247082Attachment 1247083

I too got lumar Air 80 green installed on my swift (except the WS) last month from Elegant for 2k. Seems they have too much film left over and are clearing it as there are'nt too many takers for it these days.

It has really made a difference in the Delhi summers, with the mercury touching 46 this time.

A bit OT though, isnt that the plane kept on the GT road?
Old 8th June 2014, 09:40   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
I too got lumar Air 80 green installed on my swift (except the WS) last month from Elegant for 2k. Seems they have too much film left over and are clearing it as there are'nt too many takers for it these days.

It has really made a difference in the Delhi summers, with the mercury touching 46 this time.

A bit OT though, isnt that the plane kept on the GT road?
True. Made a difference on my Laura as well with absolutely no trouble from the cops.

It passed the biggest test when the car didn't draw attention of the cops in Chandigarh who are known to be very strict.

And yes the A319 is on GT road. Clicked on the way back from Chandigarh.

Cheers
Rohan
Old 8th June 2014, 17:34   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaykakkar View Post
For everyone's reference, I got this information from Hyderabad traffic police directly. Posted on their FB profile & got the following clarification from them on sunfilm :

Summary:
No one can paste any type of film on any of the glasses of a vehicle. The allowed VLT of 70% and 50% has to come in the glass from the manufacturer. It means if anyone wants to apply any tint they have to get there glasses changed with VLT of 70% for front and back & VLT of 50% for side glasses. No kind of film can be put/pasted on any of the glasses and it has been clearly defined in the SC judgement.

Full clarification available here :
http://hyderabad.trafficpolice.co.in...-to-black.html
Interesting, though this has the scope for confusion, it can be read to mean that aftermarket glass change is legal. It isn't.
The short answer is that there is no legal alternative to sun film at this time, other than getting a change of glass from the manufacturer.
If the authorities had a mind to, they would be able to prosecute the forum management for allowing such a discussion on this thread, where many of the posts talk of illegal alternatives to sun film.
Old 8th June 2014, 17:42   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True. Made a difference on my Laura as well with absolutely no trouble from the cops.

It passed the biggest test when the car didn't draw attention of the cops in Chandigarh who are known to be very strict.

And yes the A319 is on GT road. Clicked on the way back from Chandigarh.

Cheers
Rohan
The thing that is scary is not about getting caught or getting fined. The thing is that if god forbid you meat an accident, than in preceding cases the fact that you were driving a car with illegal sun films will come back to haunt you. Therefore I suggest please follow the law to the "T".

Most Viewed