Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2014, 16:20   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Lets agree to disagree SourabhZen ... I do get sever sunburns in highway drives and need to drive with newspapers stuck up on the windows.
If you never faced this in last 18 years more power to you and you can continue to enjoy sunfilm free era and protest against any reversal if ever it happens

I strongly feel that this sunfilm verdict is blessing of an era of non-governance where judges thought themselves to be blessed with omniscience and steeped in to fill governance void.

Thankfully SC judges did not see this correlation chart between drop in murders and reduced internet explorer market share else they could have come-up with formula to reduce murders.

http://gizmodo.com/5977989/internet-...te-chart-today

but recent refusal of SC to step in to several things which should be done by governments looks like that times have changed.
amitk26 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 16:42   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
If you never faced this in last 18 years more power to you and you can continue to enjoy sunfilm free era and protest against any reversal if ever it happens

Thankfully SC judges did not see this correlation chart between drop in murders and reduced internet explorer market share else they could have come-up with formula to reduce murders.

http://gizmodo.com/5977989/internet-...te-chart-today

but recent refusal of SC to step in to several things which should be done by governments looks like that times have changed.
I have nothing against sunfilms but at the same time I will want to be on right side of the law even if I do not like it. However, I will definitely protest against the current ruling, if there is any with logical data forming the basis of protest.

The chart is indeed worth sharing and I will share it with my friends on other forums.

Times have indeed changed and I guess we can not make comments on those changes here.
Old 15th October 2014, 19:00   #468
BHPian

Folks - I have been using the laser shades produced by NSV for quite some time on my City and Innova and they are perfect and durable. It is washable, prevents the UV rays to quite a great extent and is totally street legal. The reason I say "street legal" is because I was stopped by cops in Bangalore quite a few times and the moment they realized it's a blind/curtain (plug & play), they let me off with an apology.

Downsides:

1. Only available for specific cars - Honda, Toyota...others are WIP for them - they are custom made;
2. Quite expensive (12K to 16K depending on the size and number of windows to cover).

Upside - They age really well and provide good sun protection and privacy... I would recommend all to go for these laser shades.
adnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 22:20   #469
BHPian

Tried experimenting with a deal @ Groupon - Crab Magnetic Sun Shades. For 1399/- got a set of 4 shades for my Rapid. Please note that they have the deal for a Vento (not a Rapid); but essentially the right one.

Used it for a day but just soo impressed with the product. Its not a perfect fit; there will be gaps and bulges in the frame but it HANGS onto the metal frame of the window and does cut down the sun factor. Sharing images from the web - will post my pix over the weekend.

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-2700x420.jpg

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-3700x420.jpg
gunner fan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 16:03   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Around 80-85 cars are there per 1000 people in Chandigarh, which has the highest number of cars per capita in India, Rest 900+ persons do not own any car. lets assume these 85 guys take three more passengers with them all the time, there are more than 600 persons without cars. They do not need the ground-breaking technology to shield them from UV and other harmful radiation then why do we crib about lack of films on our cars?

Car AC is a boon in all the heat during peak summers in North India and IMO we should be content with that.
Thanks. Ac helps a lot. But in my city where temperatures exceed 42 degrees in summers, try parking the car in the open on a hot day for 1 hour. The insides become worse than a sauna. And this thread is on alternatives to sunfilms in cars, not on the people without cars.
Old 16th October 2014, 16:36   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count510 View Post
Thanks. Ac helps a lot. But in my city where temperatures exceed 42 degrees in summers, try parking the car in the open on a hot day for 1 hour. The insides become worse than a sauna. And this thread is on alternatives to sunfilms in cars, not on the people without cars.
I reside in Delhi/NCR with similar weather conditions and I do not have covered parking at home or office. My car is parked in sun whenever we have sunshine here, that means practically everyday (including entire summers in 45 degrees).

The thread is on LEGAL alternatives to sun films to protect people from UV rays, and there is no 'ground breaking technology' existing for that purpose, as far as I know.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 17:52   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner fan View Post
Tried experimenting with a deal @ Groupon - Crab Magnetic Sun Shades. For 1399/- got a set of 4 shades for my Rapid. Please note that they have the deal for a Vento (not a Rapid); but essentially the right one.

Used it for a day but just soo impressed with the product. Its not a perfect fit; there will be gaps and bulges in the frame but it HANGS onto the metal frame of the window and does cut down the sun factor. Sharing images from the web - will post my pix over the weekend.

Attachment 1299396

Attachment 1299397
I have the same for my car. Its quite good except for two issues:

Toll gates and parking lots- you need to remove the shade or open the door to pay money

once a copy in GGN stopped me and refused to agree that these are not in violation of MV Act. It was only after i told him i am a lawyer did he relent.
Old 16th October 2014, 18:22   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Tried experimenting with a deal @ Groupon - Crab Magnetic Sun Shades. For 1399/- got a set of 4 shades for my Rapid.
==========
Attachment 1299397
Quite useful indeed it seems. Where do I buy this from?

Quote:
I have nothing against sunfilms but at the same time I will want to be on right side of the law even if I do not like it. However, I will definitely protest against the current ruling, if there is any with logical data forming the basis of protest.
Fil a PIL (Public Interest Litigation) in the Supreme Court if you really want to protest against the current ruling.

Last edited by GTO : 24th October 2014 at 16:23. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 16th October 2014, 20:20   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fil a PIL (Public Interest Litigation) in the Supreme Court if you really want to protest against the current ruling.
Do I really want to protest against the current ruling? No.

I will protest if there is some logical data against the ruling. I have written enough posts clarifying my stand on this issue and I do not want to take it forward now.

However, if you have some logical data against the ruling and you decide to file a PIL, I will support your cause.

Last edited by sourabhzen : 16th October 2014 at 20:21.
Old 16th October 2014, 23:13   #475
BHPian

Quote:
However, if you have some logical data against the ruling and you decide to file a PIL, I will support your cause.
Thanks. If I do file a PIL, I would need support from fellow T-BHPians. Who knows if a lot us challenge the current ruling, we might just succeed.
Though I have now found an alternative for the Jaguar XF, if I buy it. I think they offer rear side window sun-blinds as accessory. The rear window already has electric sun-blind as standard.
Count510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2014, 12:49   #476
BHPian

Coming back to the topic here ☺️.. What are the suggested and popular alternatives to sun film?
adnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 17:41   #477
BHPian

Quote:

bought this Magnetic Sun Shades from Ebay (car.n.more) for Rs. 1500 seems OK , one Magnet on one shade was missing . Ebay gave coupon of Rs 500 for this.

May not work on Highway drives and have to check if the set of magnets holds on rough patch roads.
Fabiaous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 18:09   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Quite useful indeed it seems. Where do I buy this from?
Well I got it from a deal on groupon - was around last time I checked. Also a fellow bhpian seems to have bought the same on ebay (post below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
bought this Magnetic Sun Shades from Ebay (car.n.more) for Rs. 1500 seems OK , one Magnet on one shade was missing . Ebay gave coupon of Rs 500 for this.

May not work on Highway drives and have to check if the set of magnets holds on rough patch roads.
Well its 3-4 magnets for each shade/frame. And boy do they hold strong - i literally have to pull them from the window frame. The only challenge is when you're at the toll / drive-ins - either remove the shade temporarily or open the door
Old 21st March 2015, 22:32   #479
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

The SC judgement is ridiculous. I don't get the intention behind such a judgement. How does the removal of sun films help in reducing crime? Instead they should have asked the traffic cops to check the transparency of the sun film & remove them only if they are outside the permissible limit just like they check for drunken driving with a breath analyzer. Simply telling that nothing except the glass is permitted is senseless. Going by same logic, why doesn't SC ban car glasses altogether? You see, glasses can be a major obstruction for police in catching criminals. If there are no glasses, the police can easily chase the car (running or in jeep), put their hand inside the window (dangling if the car is in motion) & catch hold of the criminal (his neck,hair,ears,etc) and win a gallantry medal for themselves!

Last edited by CarNerd : 21st March 2015 at 22:35.
CarNerd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 03:39   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
The SC judgement is ridiculous. I don't get the intention behind such a judgement. How does the removal of sun films help in reducing crime? Instead they should have asked the traffic cops to check the transparency of the sun film & remove them only if they are outside the permissible limit just like they check for drunken driving with a breath analyzer. Simply telling that nothing except the glass is permitted is senseless. Going by same logic, why doesn't SC ban car glasses altogether? You see, glasses can be a major obstruction for police in catching criminals. If there are no glasses, the police can easily chase the car (running or in jeep), put their hand inside the window (dangling if the car is in motion) & catch hold of the criminal (his neck,hair,ears,etc) and win a gallantry medal for themselves!
I fully agree with you. The SC invaded the law-making territory by rendering such a judgment. Instead of strengthening the law enforcement agency it has tried to make things easy for them, though it does not contribute to reduction in crime in a big way. Usually terrorists or criminals use bikes and not cars for committing crimes. So it's absurd to punish car owners in such a way. Sun films should not have been banned.
Count510 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed