Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:26   #601

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

I had asked this before and asking again as I did not get any answers.

1. Is there any way to change OEM clear glass to aftermarket heat rejection ones? I do not care for color/tint as long as heat rejection is there. Windsheild clear films are costly and have the risk of being pulled off. Secondly which cars in India have factory fitted heat rejection glasses. Maruti Suzuki Baleno is said to have UV cut glass, does it help in heat rejection ?
2. I think if any types of blinds are fitted away from the window glasses (on the door sills or the interior plastic panel of the door) cops cannot implement the law since the verdict is against anything pasted on the glasses. I understand this goes against the spirit of the law but I do not care as long it helps keep my car cool.
3. I am not looking for privacy just heat rejection.

Last edited by Glessrob : 23rd May 2016 at 18:55.
Old 23rd May 2016, 20:28   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glessrob View Post

1. Is there any way to change OEM clear glass to aftermarket heat rejection ones? I do not care for color/tint as long as heat rejection is there. Windsheild clear films are costly and have the risk of being pulled off. Secondly which cars in India have factory fitted heat rejection glasses. Maruti Suzuki Baleno is said to have UV cut glass, does it help in heat rejection ?
2. I think if any types of blinds are fitted away from the window glasses (on the door sills or the interior plastic panel of the door) cops cannot implement the law since the verdict is against anything pasted on the glasses. I understand this goes against the spirit of the law but I do not care as long it helps keep my car cool.
Why don't you simply get magnetic sun shades? If you look a bit more you can get it for 4 + 1 rear glass as well, It reduces the heat big time or else you can opt for Fortune sunflims, Its Almost transparent, I know a couple of shops here in Mumbai who guarantee cops won't be able to detect if the car has a sun flim on it, And yes i agree i have it on my car, Its not even very expensive, Costed me 5 grands for covering the total car.

Best solution i feel is the magnetic sun shades, Legal + Cheap + Cuts the sun rays effectively.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 11:28   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glessrob View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Why don't you simply get magnetic sun shades? If you look a bit more you can get it for 4 + 1 rear glass as well, It reduces the heat big time or else you can opt for Fortune sunflims, Its Almost transparent, I know a couple of shops here in Mumbai who guarantee cops won't be able to detect if the car has a sun flim on it, And yes i agree i have it on my car, Its not even very expensive, Costed me 5 grands for covering the total car.

Best solution i feel is the magnetic sun shades, Legal + Cheap + Cuts the sun rays effectively.
Any sort of sunfilm is banned, even if it is fully/almost transparent. Cops in the northern states like UP and Punjab will check the glass with their finger nails and if they find anything, then you're fined.

Distinguished @HVKumar (IIRC) is of the opinion that even the magnetic sun shades are illegal and are liable to be fined.

If you're not going outside your state I think you can get away with even the sunfilms, but once you decide to venture out of your state please remember that the cops are very severe on out-of-state cars.
Old 26th May 2016, 10:52   #604
BANNED

I've a friend who recently fixed some costly film on his car. It looks superb.

When he sees cops in the distance he just slides all 4 windows fully down. As with most traffic offenses in India, getting caught for this isn't a deterrent.

His logic is - I spent 20k. So even if, by the laws of probability I do get challaned by cops, it's only Rs. 100/-, i.e. the negotiated amount.

Referring to the image V or VI means 70% light transmitted. Hence legal.

So to answer the OP's query, you can't affix new film or even replace the glass if the mfr. didn't sell it that way.

If the mfr. does sell cars that way and your particular car doesn't have it, then, go ahead change it. Nobody can challan you.

The law was passed for 2 reasons:
1. because per the hon. judges, all traffic cops don't have light transparency checking meters
2. they said Botswana, Iraq and Djibouti don't have sun films; hence India must not have them

However, there are many people whose skin is very sensitive to sunlight. They usually get a doctors letter/certificate from a govt. hospital (no private or your doctor cousins' letter). When stopped by cops, it takes some explaining to convince them. They let you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-image.jpeg  

Last edited by hangover : 26th May 2016 at 11:08. Reason: Added glass marking image
hangover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 12:37   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Can you help providing some pointers to Fortune Sun films. Tried googling, but failed to find out details about this product.
Old 26th May 2016, 12:43   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Can you help providing some pointers to Fortune Sun films. Tried googling, but failed to find out details about this product.

I don't think these are very branded ones, But they surely do the job well, Its nearly transparent and sure does cut down heat well enough, Try checkinng with your local car shops, Ill also see if i can find something online about it.

If your from mumbai i got it installed from Motorsounds at Versova.
Old 26th May 2016, 13:52   #607

3 M has got some transparent films for the front wind shield.
Old 26th May 2016, 14:43   #608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafalkon View Post
3 M has got some transparent films for the front wind shield.
Not when I last looked, which is only a few weeks ago. They have CR70. This is what I had on my car in 2012. It is barely noticeable on factory clear glass, but it is not clear.

3M CR90 is not available at [my local] 3m Carcare outlet[s]

I'd be happy to wrong. If there has been a change, do please post the product details.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 21:26   #609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Not when I last looked, which is only a few weeks ago. They have CR70. This is what I had on my car in 2012. It is barely noticeable on factory clear glass, but it is not clear.
I was referring to the cr70,, which I think is quite clear and serves the purpose.
Old 27th June 2016, 20:20   #610
BHPian

Tinting of rear windows. Legal??

Note: Dear mods, I am posting this thread after not finding anything relevant on the forum. This is not spamming. PLEASE merge this thread if you believe that a similar thread already exists.

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

I will try to keep it brief.

I have seen in many car reviews on YouTube that cars have only their rear windows tinted. This made me wonder if such a thing would be legal in India.

Example: This is a screen shot from one such review. Car: Mitsubishi Outlander
Attached Thumbnails
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-img_20160627_201018.jpg  

Old 12th September 2016, 09:37   #611
BHPian

Hello BHP-ians,

I got the first ticket of my life yesterday. My fault as per the challan issued to me is"Use of tinted films".

I argued with the Traffic Inspector (TI) and Sub-Inspector (SI) that I have never installed any tinted film on any of the glass. To this, they pointed out to black curtain-type cut-out on my rear glass.

I drive a VW Polo TDI and had bought the Exquisite Edition last November. As part of Exquisite Edition elements, the company has provided custom-fit curtain like fittings on both rear windows and rear glass, which are held in place by clips fixed on window frame.

When I argued that this is a factory fitted accessory, and hence, must comply with the regulations of MV Act, their response was to get a claim from the company. As per my knowledge, only the use of tinted glasses and films is prohibited by the SC order. Otherwise also, we see a lot of vehicles moving with stick-on type shades which almost cover the window/rear-glass area.

Though I paid the challan of INR 100 (just to be on time, and sincerely not having time for a court proceeding), I am now left confused over use of a factory-fitted accessory.
Can any one here guide me on this issue or anyone having similar experience for such kind of fittings? How to handle this situation in future? VW calls them "Detachable Window Blinds"

PS: Apologies if this is a repeat message and has been discussed earlier in the forum. I searched but couldn't find any direct references.
ManishSoni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 10:23   #612
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManishSoni View Post
Hello BHP-ians,

I got the first ticket of my life yesterday. My fault as per the challan issued to me is"Use of tinted films".

I argued with the Traffic Inspector (TI) and Sub-Inspector (SI) that I have never installed any tinted film on any of the glass. To this, they pointed out to black curtain-type cut-out on my rear glass.

I drive a VW Polo TDI and had bought the Exquisite Edition last November. As part of Exquisite Edition elements, the company has provided custom-fit curtain like fittings on both rear windows and rear glass, which are held in place by clips fixed on window frame.

When I argued that this is a factory fitted accessory, and hence, must comply with the regulations of MV Act, their response was to get a claim from the company. As per my knowledge, only the use of tinted glasses and films is prohibited by the SC order. Otherwise also, we see a lot of vehicles moving with stick-on type shades which almost cover the window/rear-glass area.

Though I paid the challan of INR 100 (just to be on time, and sincerely not having time for a court proceeding), I am now left confused over use of a factory-fitted accessory.
Can any one here guide me on this issue or anyone having similar experience for such kind of fittings? How to handle this situation in future? VW calls them "Detachable Window Blinds"

PS: Apologies if this is a repeat message and has been discussed earlier in the forum. I searched but couldn't find any direct references.
Interesting.. Even I would like to know if it's an offense.

I drive with stick-on window blinds most of the time. I never faced any issue with the traffic police. I guess police in Hyderabad knows that people will be fried without these blinds.
manojraja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 10:38   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHP-ians,

I live in Bombay. Around a year ago I asked a Traffic Police officer, who had stopped me for breaking the signal, about the magnetic stick-on sunshades I had in my car and If they were legal and he confirmed that they were. That only tints were disallowed.
Perhaps In the future you should focus the argument on just the tints being illegal and not the ones you have.
Also, I have been driving around since the past year with said magnetic shades and I haven't been stopped even once for those.

Hope that helps!
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 15:49   #614
BHPian

is this the type of magnetic sunshade we are talking here?

http://www.ebay.in/itm/152391774336?aff_source=Sok-Goog

Last edited by techcoze : 28th February 2017 at 15:50.
techcoze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 16:24   #615
BHPian

Quote:
To this, they pointed out to black curtain-type cut-out on my rear glass.

When I argued that this is a factory fitted accessory, and hence, must comply with the regulations of MV Act, their response was to get a claim from the company. As per my knowledge, only the use of tinted glasses and films is prohibited by the SC order.
Why don't you send an email to Volkswagen with the Challan attached and ask for the clarification. They might send you a 'claim' which you can show next time whenever they stop you. I don't think Volkswagen would sell anything illegal now. They have incurred huge losses after the dieselgate scandal. However, it isn't practical to remove the blinds every time you drive and attach them again when you park.

Well, according to Supreme Court
Quote:
“For the reasons afore-stated, we prohibit the use of black films of any VLT percentage or any other material upon the safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country. … The directions contained in this judgment shall become operative and enforceable with effect from 4th May, 2012.”
Link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks