Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2017, 09:29   #616
Senior - BHPian

Better for companies to offer UV cut glass just as they do on the Baleno. That's the only solution to the problem, with summer just round the corner.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 09:37   #617
Senior - BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post

Well, according to Supreme Court
As far as I know, SC permits all manufacturer installed accessories. Now arguing about that with a policeman is another matter. On behalf of that man, it is not easy for him to distinguish what is after market and what is OE either, given how the after market of these exists all over the country, including at many traffic lights.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 22:05   #618
Team-BHP Support

How is the situation with sun-films? Is it still enforced and checked everytime one is stopped?
Old 27th March 2017, 04:18   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I live in Bombay. Around a year ago I asked a Traffic Police officer, who had stopped me for breaking the signal, about the magnetic stick-on sunshades I had in my car and If they were legal and he confirmed that they were. That only tints were disallowed.
Perhaps In the future you should focus the argument on just the tints being illegal and not the ones you have.
Also, I have been driving around since the past year with said magnetic shades and I haven't been stopped even once for those.

Hope that helps!
I can confirm this. I had these on my old car last summer, and was never stopped. Even the factory fitted, pull up blinds that come with the Merc, BMW, etc. (Rear passenger doors only), seem to be acceptable here.
Biohazard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2017, 10:49   #620
BHPian

Re: Sun Film for Swift VDi in B'lore?

I have decided to go for sun films for my swift VDi. Heard about lots of RTO approved films in the market. Got some quotes also on Garware n 3M films at JC Road.

What should one look for in films? I know few terms like heat rejection and visibility. Are there any other parameters? What is this CR series.. and some other 'XX' series what they quote? Which would be better? I hear, that CR series is the most expensive..

Please advise.
Old 9th April 2017, 12:02   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How is the situation with sun-films? Is it still enforced and checked everytime one is stopped?
Well, it depends on the place you are driving as well as the traffic cop eyeing at you. For instance, if I talk of Gurugram, then yes, one is sure to be stopped if not today then tomorrow. Forget about tint, any treatment on the glass or any masking (for example, magnetic mesh or an OEM curtain blind) is sure to attract a challan. On the other hand, if I am driving in Haridwar in Uttarakhand, a light 70% visibility tint is very much acceptable.

That said, if one wishes to drive a vehicle for local usage, check the trend pertinent to that region. If one is to drive inter-state, my take is NO.

However, since we are talking about alternatives to sun films, I have found a very good and a viable solution after having been forced to peal off 80% clear V-kool film from my Honda City with a heavy heart, for which I had spent some INR 25000 back in 2010.

Solution:
I use removable static electric sun shades. These stop 97% UV and 68.2% infra red or heat. These do not need any adhesive and can be stuck & removed any number of times. These get stick on the window pane utilizing the scientific principles of static electricity and atmospheric pressure to absorb on the glass. Very effective. I use them on my Honda Jazz when it is parked under the sun and during those long road trips when driving the whole day. An just in case needed, pull them off.

Let the picture speak the rest. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-static-electric-sunshades.jpg  

Nohonking is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2017, 15:24   #622
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Heard about lots of RTO approved films in the market.
Really? Can any RTO "approve" what the Supreme Court has banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohonking View Post
However, since we are talking about alternatives to sun films, I have found a very good and a viable solution ... ... ... I use removable static electric sun shades.
This seems very different to the usual mesh shade, often sold on the street. Where did you get them? Any link to an online source, please?
Old 9th April 2017, 15:53   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

This seems very different to the usual mesh shade, often sold on the street. Where did you get them? Any link to an online source, please?
Yes indeed. They are different and have received Exhibition of Inventions Gold Award, 1999. They are made in Taiwan. I ordered them from ebay. A set of 4 (2 for front and 2 square shaped for the rear) costed me around INR 1000 including shipping in Dec 2015. After being very satisfied, I happily ordered another set for my Honda City. Thanks.
Nohonking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 01:12   #624
BHPian

Re: Sun Film for Swift VDi in B'lore?

Quote:
I have decided to go for sun films for my swift VDi. Heard about lots of RTO approved films in the market. Got some quotes also on Garware n 3M films at JC Road.
ALL films - whether it's 10% or 100% visible - are banned. So it's very likely they guy who's trying to sell it to you, is trying to make a quick buck. It just depends on what the traffic police decides. They may or may not pull you over for clear tints, but that's a risk you'll be taking eveytime you take your car out.
Old 10th April 2017, 11:08   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Really? Can any RTO "approve" what the Supreme Court has banned?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard View Post
ALL films - whether it's 10% or 100% visible - are banned. So it's very likely they guy who's trying to sell it to you, is trying to make a quick buck. It just depends on what the traffic police decides. They may or may not pull you over for clear tints, but that's a risk you'll be taking eveytime you take your car out.
From what I have heard, 70% visibility for front and rear and 50% visibility for sides is allowed by RTO. I hope this is true.. as the scorching sun is NOT allowing me to step out. What with coming Mangalore trip, I am petrified. We are supposed to go around the coastal town for a week. I shall grab what ever the protection, law allows.
Attached Thumbnails
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-whatsapp-image-20170410-10.21.54.jpeg  

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-whatsapp-image-20170410-10.22.06.jpeg  

Old 10th April 2017, 11:31   #626
BHPian

Quote:
From what I have heard, 70% visibility for front and rear and 50% visibility for sides is allowed by RTO. I hope this is true.
There's actually a bit of a confusion regarding what's allowed. Just to reiterate, all sun FILMS are banned. When the Supreme Court mentions about 50 - 70% visibility, it is referring to the TINT / colour of the windows, during the production process.

It gets confusing when people confuse tinted glass with stick -on tints (aka sun films). So in short:

If your car comes with tinted windows, that was tinted during the manufacturing process (50 % - 70%), it is allowed.

Sun films / stick-on tints (even if it's 100% visibility) is NOT allowed.

Now this begs the question, which manufactures provide cars with tinted glass in the windows? Unfortunately, I don't have the answer :(
Biohazard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 12:36   #627
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard View Post
There's actually a bit of a confusion regarding what's allowed. Just to reiterate, all sun FILMS are banned. When the Supreme Court mentions about 50 - 70% visibility, it is referring to the TINT / colour of the windows, during the production process.
That is how we have always understood it on this forum and, more important, it is how we understand that the police understand it.

Quote:
Now this begs the question, which manufactures provide cars with tinted glass in the windows? Unfortunately, I don't have the answer :(
You can put my VW Polo GT TDI on the list. It has a slight grey tint all around. Not as good as CR70 at either glare or heat avoidance --- but better than clear glass.

The tint is so slight that the previous owner did not realise it was there!
Old 10th April 2017, 12:38   #628
BHPian

What BioHazard has written is 100% correct. The tints & its percentages, mentioned in SC order, is for manufacturers to follow. No film is allowed to be put on upon the window.
In Mumbai, the cops in case of doubt, ask people to roll their windows and feel the inside top edge by rubbing fingers to check if any film is pasted. They are smart enough to figure out if the transparent types have been installed or not.

What Nohonking has put, I have seen those in my in-laws car. He purchased those from the Santacruz Car accessory market. I too found them very convenient and they cling on to the glass.
What I use are the regular sucky cup types sold at signals. I use 2 on each window for rear windows. Front is bare, as the car is driver driven. I keep a small dropper bottle with water to keep them cling when the stickyness goes. Mine have worked for 3 years now.
In my BRV, as the windows are big, I use large sized ones that I have purchased from Aliexpress. They too come with 2 suction cups on each. They are called fishberg window shades, incase anyone wants to check it out. Sedan owners: They are oversized for my Honda City windows.
Old 10th April 2017, 12:50   #629
BHPian

Quote:
You can put my VW Polo GT TDI on the list. It has a slight grey tint all around. Not as good as CR70 at either glare or heat avoidance --- but better than clear glass.
My Vento TSI apparently comes with 'Heat-Insulating Glass'.

According to VW:
"The heat-insulating, infrared-reflective glass contributes towards a pleasant interior climate. It reduces heat build-up inside the vehicle in hot ambient conditions and promotes the wellbeing of the occupants. At the same time, fuel consumption is lowered if an air conditioning system is running, as less energy will be required to cool down the interior to the desired temperature. This cuts costs."

Not sure how well it works, since the window and windshield are quite transparent. However, with summer right around the corner, I'll have a chance to test it out.
Old 10th April 2017, 13:25   #630
Distinguished - BHPian

Are you sure they are absolutely clear?

Twenty years ago, I called out a glass repair company in London to a smashed driver's-door window and told them, clear glass. When they arrived, they said, "It is not clear: it is green. Don't worry, we have both with us as lots of people make this mistake."

As I said, previous owner of my Polo did not realise it has a tint. On one of our test drives, I showed him the half-down door-window against a white wall And it became obvious to him. No idea what the percentage would be, but it is very subtle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks