Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2012, 10:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

As we all are aware that use of any sun control films in motor vehicles has been banned by the Supreme Court of India. There are other threads to discuss whether the judgement was correct or not, so we will not discuss it on this thread. The purpose of this thread is to discuss other legal / borderline options for suncontrol in our cars.

I request members to list the other practical options, along with their pros and cons. Let me get the ball rolling by listing a few options.

1. Using very light / almost transparent sun films.

I agree that use of light sun films is also banned. But I am optimistic that after a few months, the implementation of rule would be slightly relaxed and traffic police would turn a blind eye to very light sun films and mostly target the darker ones. (This is just what I'm hoping for, this may or may not happen)

Pros:
+ UV blocking
+ Heat rejection
+ Convenience (one time installation)
+ Logically correct when viewed in the spirit of the law

Cons:
- Very expensive
- Technically wrong as per the law, hence no peace of mind

2. Using detachable sun shades (chipkoo) with vaccuum suction cup

Pros:
+ Dirt cheap
+ Easily removable (when sensing trouble from the cops)
+ Provides some privacy and sun block

Cons:
- Technically against the law, liable to be fined by the cops
- Reduces visibility
- Likely to fall off, hence a nuisance/hazard

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 10:43   #2
BHPian

Re: Sun Films banned - other options for sun control

Well, guys, how about good ol' curtains? Are they illegal too? I see in in news channels, many government ambassadors have them. They are dirt cheap and certainly rejects sun light and thus heat.
indianvirus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 10:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

I remember, long time back, during the days of Premier Padmini's and Amby's, the Padmini used to be offered in a high variant with factory fitted green Tinted Glasses .
It conformed to norms and actually made the Padmini look very classy (I still like the wraparound rear windscreen of the venerable Fiat 1100/Padmini)
These glasses used to be made by SAFEX ( Hindustan Safety Glass??, don't know whether the company still exists or not).
In fact the model used to be listed in the Premier brochures as "Premier Padmini DLX BU / AC / TG" and used to be priced at a fair premium.

in fact these tinted glasses could even be bought in the aftermarket and retrofitted

Nowadays almost all manufacturers offer A/C as standard fitment for most of their vehicles with slight green-ish tint (exceptions being Omni, Eeco base, Sumo base et al ).
Maybe OEM's can offer the option of factory fitted tinted glasses ? Green, Copper Brown etc . It can throw open another revenue channel .
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 10:58   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianvirus View Post
Well, guys, how about good ol' curtains? Are they illegal too? I see in in news channels, many government ambassadors have them. They are dirt cheap and certainly rejects sun light and thus heat.
Sunfilms are banned due to lack of visibility inside the car. So, curtains means it will be 0% visibility and hence i think it will be illegal.

Do we really have a alternate for sun films which is legal? Is it possible to get tinted glass(for existing customers) from the manufacturer its self?
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 11:00   #5
BHPian

The pull up blinds present on cars such as the Superb and BMW 5 are legal AFAIK.
I expect them to be implemented by volume manufacturers such as Hyundai and the likes.

For me they are the best possible solution to this problem coming straight from the manufacturer.
Old 5th June 2012, 11:02   #6
Team-BHP Support

The problem with the sun-shades and curtains is - they block out the view completely.

I am not sure if that's a good idea while driving.

How about those retractable sun shades (that Superb and BMWs have)? You can pull 'em down if there's checking going on. They also allow a decent view.

The rear windshield of my Corsa had one (we didn't fit films since it has a defogger).
Old 5th June 2012, 12:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Sunfilms are banned due to lack of visibility inside the car. So, curtains means it will be 0% visibility and hence i think it will be illegal.
Technically it isn't illegal.
If it were illegal none of the auto-rickshaws, door-less Tempo Trax, etc wouldn't have made it past the RTO. Unless the manufacturer adheres to all the rules of CMRV it isn't possible to register the vehicle. The above mentioned vehicles have opaque roll-down curtains which are used during rains, and come as standard equipment and not as an accessory.
Old 5th June 2012, 12:54   #8
passionate1977

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 6th June 2012 at 14:18.
  Received Infraction
Old 5th June 2012, 13:49   #9
BHPian

I got pulled over by the cops on Monday for application of films and had to endure the agony of standing in 46 degree Delhi sunlight at 1pm watching them rip-off my v-cools which had cost me a bomb to begin with.

I asked them to give me a copy of the judgement of the high court order but their stance was "utharni hai utharne doh warna gaadi bhi rakhlenge".
As a layman, any form of film or curtain which i have paid for, should belong to me, by asking me to exit my car and then damaging it by trying to rip off the OEM shades(unsuccessfully, thanks to legendary German build quality) and the sunfilm which i got installed and i paid for, without any form of warrant or notice, should technically be some sort of breach of my basic human rights, shouldn't it?
They can keep my license, but trying to impound my car (which has passed RTO and has a legally valid registration number) and harassing me by asking me to exit my car and then damaging it should amount to some form of negligence on the behalf of our "minatory" policing authorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Technically it isn't illegal.
If it were illegal none of the auto-rickshaws, door-less Tempo Trax, etc wouldn't have made it past the RTO. Unless the manufacturer adheres to all the rules of CMRV it isn't possible to register the vehicle. The above mentioned vehicles have opaque roll-down curtains which are used during rains, and come as standard equipment and not as an accessory.
Technically that would also mean an RTO-FAIL for the Skoda superbs and other German sedans. Why does the Police take such a lazy stance and just harass people (whom they are paid to serve) with films by making us stand in the scorching sun and tearing off the films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionate1977 View Post
The cops fine the car owner and tear off the film - what would the cops do in case someone paints the glasses black?
Exactly my point, what if a layer of black and clear coat was applied on the insides of the windows, i would actually enjoy watching the coppers sit and try and scrape the entire paint off all windows.
Would they break the glass? Whats next? I'm glad i have some doors left on my car!!
mkaysaw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 13:55   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been using these since years for my parents' cars:

CAR Auto Stop Sunshade Screen~TUBE DESIGN~2pcs | eBay

Name:  Screen Shot 20120605 at 1.55.09 PM.png
Views: 162518
Size:  185.7 KB
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 13:59   #11
BHPian

Car Window Sun Blinds Privacy Shades Suzuki Sx4 5 Door 06- | eBay

Came across these - but frightfully expensive - probably best kept as an last alternative should the ban not be taken back.

Somehow prefer these because they look a bit neater than the other, and also cover the entire glass area.

Last edited by anantnehru : 5th June 2012 at 14:00.
anantnehru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 14:06   #12
BHPian

In some news articles, it is is mentioned that sun films which allows 50% light can be used. That was the norm already existing. Does the new Supreme court ruling overturns this and put a blanket ban on all sun films ? Even if the grade of 50% is allowed, traffic police will have the final word in deciding as there is no means to check the grade. It will be a visual inspection and I don't think they will allow even very light films :-(
Revy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 14:11   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
In some news articles, it is is mentioned that sun films which allows 50% light can be used. That was the norm already existing. Does the new Supreme court ruling overturns this and put a blanket ban on all sun films ? Even if the grade of 50% is allowed, traffic police will have the final word in deciding as there is no means to check the grade. It will be a visual inspection and I don't think they will allow even very light films :-(
All films are banned.

Read this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ilms-cars.html
Old 5th June 2012, 14:33   #14
BHPian

According to the rule everything inside the car should be visible to anyone who stands outside and stares.
So there are no options to beat the law but suffer in the heat and have your women compromised.
Its no doubt a ridiculous law but no points on trying to beat it.
Hope the law changes so we don't have to change for worse.
Old 5th June 2012, 18:06   #15
BHPian

While browsing the net for some solution, I stumbled across this company who has a novel product (among other rage of products) which to me, looked a feasible & elegant solution.

Its called auto Window curtain. Have a look at their website -
http://www.amritrasindia.com/window_curtain/
forbhaskarm is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed