Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2012, 13:44   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How to dispose off a car with practically no resale value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
If I sell it as scrap, is it my responsibility to ensure that the car is unusable on the road?
Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
...they will give you a certificate of destruction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
There sure is a way to sort of de-register the car.
For scrapping a car, the following steps have to be gone through:

1. Before delivering to scrap dealer, have the vehicle identification plate removed (the one that has the engine and chassis numbers engraved on it; you might need someone to use a blowtorch and cut it out with surrounding metal);

2. Photograph the areas where the engine and chassis numbers are actually engraved - then have someone use an agle grinder to obliterate the numbers, and take another photograph;

3. Do NOT hand over the registration & insurance papers to the scrap dealer;

4. Take a "scrapping certificate" or certificate of destruction from the scrap dealer on his letterhead. Also verify and retain his phone number;

5. With the scrapping certificate, photographs, the ID plate and the registration documents, go to the RTO where the vehicle was registered, and ask for it to be de-registered. There's a standard form that you'll have to fill up, I forget the number;

6. After erasure of registration from RTO, go to the insurance people and have the insurance cover stopped, and your no-claim bonus (NCB) certificate issued to you, for the time when you buy another car (valid for 3 years IIRC).

7. Go home and relax.
SS-Traveller is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 19:53   #32
BANNED

Have you actually tried selling the car and what price ffer have you received? If you can get more that 50 K then you've got yourself a deal.
The Matiz gives no trouble but you need to refresh the rubber parts like belts , hoses, beading etc and that can be difficult to source.
Aso to find a good mechanic to have the tuning, tappet setting, timing etc done is difficult because of the tiny engine bay.
Sell it at the first decent offer or you'll get nothing soon.
Retaining it can be a very expensive proposition because if the FIP or the ECU conks you'll lose the entire 50 K that you may have got.
fiestarry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 20:49   #33
BHPian

For our Indian context,Quite an interesting topic, as we never tend to discard old things.Also most of the cars discussed here are 8-10 years old. I have my 17 years (Nov-1995) old Maruti 800.Which is used everyday and serviced regularly and if fighting fit.
After new honda city I thought of disposing but kept it and found very useful for narrow byzantine roads and quick journeys. Though on road I see many 8-10 years cars quite often, So are we at Team-bhp more touche of cars older than 6-7 years?
Old 7th June 2012, 21:13   #34
BHPian

Just the thread i was looking for
I am in a similar dilemna
Have a 2002 Santro which is not being used since last 2 years since i got my Busa
Have a Innova which is used for offical work and Santro remains in the parking lot most of the time
Was tinkering with the idea of buying a new small car as the Santro would now start giving me more expenses if I keep it - Shortlisted the Beat and the i10
Will look at the Brio too in some time

My question was :
1. I intend keeping my santro regn number and transfer to the new car. Has someone done number portability in Mumbai RTO ?

2. What would a reasonably fair condition 2002 santro with 65,000 kms on odo fetch

Look forward to pointers
Old 7th June 2012, 21:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

In case any of your friends/relatives are buying a new car, transfer the car on their name and get the Car exchange value + Exchange Bonus.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 22:06   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
In case any of your friends/relatives are buying a new car, transfer the car on their name and get the Car exchange value + Exchange Bonus.
I like this suggestion! Na rahegi baans, but bajegi baansuri! he he

*Twisted a common Hindi saying and made it similar to something like "Killed two birds with one stone!"
Old 7th June 2012, 23:46   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Know someone who recently bought a Matiz for 65K. Thats not a bad price!
65K!!!! When! Where! How!

I have a '99 Matiz too and would love to sell it for that price!
Old 8th June 2012, 08:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupratikDebnath View Post
I like this suggestion! Na rahegi baans, but bajegi baansuri! he he

*Twisted a common Hindi saying and made it similar to something like "Killed two birds with one stone!"
I have helped my neighbour dispose off his KINECTIC GF 125 bike.
He was finding it impossible to sell his bike, no one was willing to take it for exchange or even otherwise.

I was getting a exchange bonus of 6k for bike exchange on nano.
I suggested him to transfer it on my name ( cost 1k ) and then we exchanged it, he got a cool 9k for a 9 year old bike ( 6k exchange bonus + 4 k resale value - 1k transfer ).
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 08:52   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Searched, but couldn’t find much on this topic, hence starting a new thread.

We have a 2001 Matiz in the family which gets used only for school pick-up (8 kms/day of total driving). With the young one insisting on school bus from this year, the usage would come down further. I’m wondering what to do with this car now:

I can try to keep using the car once a week and keep it running until it becomes too cumbersome/expensive. But, when the day comes, is there a procedure to “de-register” the car? After that, I presume I can sell it off as scrap. If I sell it as scrap, is it my responsibility to ensure that the car is unusable on the road?

Many Thanks,
Su-47
I would beg to differ from your views.

A Matiz is not a car that does not have any resale, I sold my 2000 Matiz few months ago for a price of 90k

A well maintained car, whatever it might be will sell at a good price, there are buyers for any kind of cars.

Last option would be the Junkyard - Shivajinagar Gujri...Why dont you post the pics of your car here.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 8th June 2012 at 08:55.
Old 8th June 2012, 09:07   #40
BHPian

Almost sailing the same boat with my 2003 Sep Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXI Nxt Silver (73000+ on ODO). With all new Michelin Energy XM+ tyres (with bill) and new battery, I havn't even got a call yet in 3 days from any of the internet sites. Wondering what would be a decent sell price point to get someone interested at the least. Hope I would be able to recover the money spent on the new look ikon modification (with clear head & tail lamps) done last year.

Quote:
I was getting a exchange bonus of 6k for bike exchange on nano.
Off topic: I had made an enquiry on Nano last month at Aadya (for my wife) and the sales rep called me yesterday to let me know that this month they are giving 15K exchange bonus on 2-wheelers + 5K cash discount + whatever value for the bike (ofcourse)
Old 8th June 2012, 10:15   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
Retaining it can be a very expensive proposition because if the FIP or the ECU conks you'll lose the entire 50 K that you may have got.
What is FIP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
So are we at Team-bhp more touche of cars older than 6-7 years?
Many people here love cars howsoever old they are!

Quote:
Yeah, that is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
A Matiz is not a car that does not have any resale, I sold my 2000 Matiz few months ago for a price of 90k
90k??? Perhaps your car was better than showroom condition.. But, then I haven't tried to look for buyer for mine yet.
Old 8th June 2012, 10:19   #42
BHPian

Another place which regularly buys old cars are driving schools. As the cars go through a lot of wear and tear, they buy older cars and then scrap it after usage by students over time. Just ensure that the change of ownership is registered so that there is no liability to you.
Old 8th June 2012, 12:43   #43
BHPian

Hey, its a Matiz, please keep it.
Get if overhauled, get new alloys, get a spoiler, put some leather seats, enjoy it for another 10 years. Smaller drives will be good on the Matiz.
Old 10th June 2012, 02:00   #44

Talk to Ajay Singh (formerly of spice jet) who bought the old factory with new matiz/cielo engines lying in the sheds at Surajpur, UP. Maybe u can get a new engine for almost 1/5 the price and refurbish the body with a new coat of paint. There was a similar thread with 1000's of pictures of the closed down surajpur daewoo factory on t-bhp. Btw ajay singh used to be my classmate in school. Quiet a smart guy and possible he may even give u a new unused matiz engine for free
Old 10th June 2012, 11:56   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Another idea is to use it/donate to engineering institutes (or even amateur innovators) who need a car shell/body for projects such as converting to electrical/solar car. Matiz will make a nice platform for such projects
I second this. That's a wonderful idea indeed, lot of students run up and down old garages looking for car parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbu64 View Post
Talk to Ajay Singh (formerly of spice jet) who bought the old factory with new matiz/cielo engines lying in the sheds at Surajpur, UP. Maybe u can get a new engine for almost 1/5 the price and refurbish the body with a new coat of paint. There was a similar thread with 1000's of pictures of the closed down surajpur daewoo factory on t-bhp. Btw ajay singh used to be my classmate in school. Quiet a smart guy and possible he may even give u a new unused matiz engine for free
awesome, Infact Su-47, you can refurbish your car into a 'new' car, put in a CNG kit. I'm sure this Matiz of yours will outperform today's Spark by miles and serve you for another decade

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks