Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2017, 08:51   #61
BHPian

Re: How to dispose off a car with practically no resale value?

To all the BHPans looking for an NGO to donate your car to, I work for a company that runs a website that connects corporate donors and NGOs. Typically corporates float a RFP (request for proposals) asking how the NGO would use their donation.

If you like, I could get the team to run an RFP for your car for NGOs in your city. NGOs would get back with what good use they would put your car to. On a similar line, we recently arranged for donation of old computers that a company needed to dispose of. The computers are now used by an NGO to teach street children. It is quite heartwarming to see, actually.
Old 1st April 2017, 11:54   #62
BHPian

A friend has a similar dilemma, a ten plus year old Indigo Marina. No papers of the car . West Bengal registered and parked in Bangalore. What to do?
1. How to sell without papers?
2. If not sell, how to scrap?

Garage people not ready to take and sell. Also with no name change is a risk to give to them.
How does the NGO /scrap thing works in Bangalore?

Any suggestions.
Old 1st April 2017, 15:09   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I have an old Kinetic ZX Zoom (2003) sitting at my home in Kerala. It has not been used in the last 2 years at all. The complicating factor is that it is registered in Hyderabad (AP-10 registration). The insurance gets renewed every year but it has not seen the outside of our house compound for years. I would like to dispose of it (registration is valid for a few more months) and use the NCB for my current Honda Activa that I use in Bangalore. I do not want to travel to Hyderabad just to get the vehicle deregistered.
Where in Kerala? If it in running condition and somewhere near Trivandrum, I can buy it from you for teaching my teenaged daughter to drive a scooter. I'm moving to Hyderabad shortly and can even take it there if the condition is good.

Last edited by captrajesh : 1st April 2017 at 15:11.
Old 2nd April 2017, 17:54   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was looking for information on scrapping an old vehicle, and came across this post. Good information, helpful guidance. Thanks.

I have an old Kinetic ZX Zoom (2003)...
So is it OK if I just mail the documents to the RTO via RPAD?

Also, do RTOs maintain a list of approved scrap dealers? Does anyone have a recommendation of such a scrap dealer in Calicut, Kerala?
I would think sending the documents by Speed Post (not private courier), and emailing a copy to the concerned officer, should leave you enough documentation to absolve yourself of any wrongdoing, in case someone misuses the registration number in future.

Sorry, but I have no idea of car scrapping folks in Kerala. RTOs don't have lists of approved scrap dealers anywhere in the country, AFAIK.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 19:46   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrajesh View Post
Where in Kerala? If it in running condition and somewhere near Trivandrum
Calicut. We are too far from each other I guess. Though if you are really interested I can get it running.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 12:30   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Calicut. We are too far from each other I guess. Though if you are really interested I can get it running.
Uh oh!! Interested, I am but Kozhikode sure is quite far. To get it running and transporting to Trivandrum would involve quite an expenditure I guess. :(

Wondering how much that would be!
Old 6th April 2017, 22:11   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagspabla View Post
To all the BHPans looking for an NGO to donate your car to, I work for a company that runs a website that connects corporate donors and NGOs. Typically corporates float a RFP (request for proposals) asking how the NGO would use their donation.

If you like, I could get the team to run an RFP for your car for NGOs in your city. NGOs would get back with what good use they would put your car to. On a similar line, we recently arranged for donation of old computers that a company needed to dispose of. The computers are now used by an NGO to teach street children. It is quite heartwarming to see, actually.
Can you let me know which website this is? I manage an NGO in Pune and this will be quite helpful.
Old 6th April 2017, 22:38   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post
A friend has a similar dilemma, a ten plus year old Indigo Marina. No papers of the car . West Bengal registered and parked in Bangalore. What to do?
1. How to sell without papers?
2. If not sell, how to scrap?
Any suggestions.
Why no papers?

Please do NOT try to sell it off without paperwork - it will either create innumerable headaches to the new owner, or will more likely be misused for something anti-social.

Check how the friend can approach the RTO claiming loss of the registration certificate and apply for a duplicate one. Get the duplicate registration certificate, get a third party insurance and THEN look at disposing it off.
Old 17th July 2017, 19:52   #69
BHPian

What happens to the registration number of a car that is being scrapped ?

I have a query on what happens to the registration number of a car that is being scrapped?
Does the RTO in Mumbai reissue it again ?
Old 18th July 2017, 17:09   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What happens to the registration number of a car that is being scrapped ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnacle View Post
I have a query on what happens to the registration number of a car that is being scrapped?
Does the RTO in Mumbai reissue it again ?
I don't think they would re-issue it.
The RTO follows a series - MH 01 'CP' xxxx (in ascending order) - where 'CP' is the series going on.
As CP is going on, they will not issue a number plate MH 01 'Y' xxxx for example as it is from an older series.

The series is also in ascending order - where the 'C' is fixed, and the 'P' will be replaced by another ascending letter (say 'S') once the xxxx reaches 9999. Once the 'P' letters are over (say MH 01 CZ 9999), they will then start with DB/DC/DD etc.

However, its not ascending in the sense CA, CB, CC, etc. - but some series are only for two wheelers, some for taxis, some for govt. vehicles, and some ignored entirely if it can be easily replicated/misused (like CC for example).

Years ago, we got a VVIP number on our car - 'TA' series, which was from a bike/taxi/future series (by paying 3x the cost for registration from another series) only to be stopped by cops once in a while as it was unusual for a car to have that series while everyone else was on NA/PA at the time - but as all papers were in order, there was not much of an issue.

Hope this isn't too confusing.
Old 24th January 2018, 10:52   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Can you let me know which website this is? I manage an NGO in Pune and this will be quite helpful.
www.goodcsr.in. Please register and contact customer service, please mention my name Jag Pabla. The team will try to connect you to corporates looking to donate used cars.

Sorry don't log in very often even though I visit TBhp everyday.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks