Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2012, 19:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to dispose off a car with practically no resale value?

I would say preserve it. We've done that with our Maruti 800, its a 1988 model and 24 years old. A lot of other cars were bought and sold but this stayed on.

It may be an expensive affair, but definitely worth the effort. I was thinking of using it on my parents' 25th anniversary, as they bought the car the same day they got married.

If you choose to keep it, i'm sure you'll never regret it.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 21:28   #47
BHPian

My dad recently de-registered a 25 year old vespa scooter and sold it as scrap.

You need to de-register at RTO, after which you can sell it as scrap. Keep de-registration document with you in case someone keeps driving it.
echo77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 11:34   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You could donate the car to a charitable organisation / NGO that might use it for a noble cause. Sample Link
Hello , this was exactly what i was about to suggest,as a known guy in my vicinity had an old premier 118ne, he gave it to the local animal care organisation and they now catch the stray dogs and sterlise them at their centers they use his car to catch and ferry animals.
Noble thought,indeed
jeepbug is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 17:16   #49
BHPian

Plenty of nice ideas have been posted above by fellow members. Choose one which ever you think best.

But please do not scrap the car as Matiz is a lovely car and deserves to run. In 2009, my Matiz had become spare as I had bought an Altis. I kept the car for 3-4 months as none of us wanted to sell the car. However I realized that it would simply rust, standing there with hardly any use. So I sold it to a middle class family person who was buying his first car. His family including his super excited 12 year old son came to see the car. I sold it to him for only 40,000 as he would take care of the car, it being their first car. I could have gotten a better price elsewhere but I felt better having given a loving owner to our Matiz which was part of our family for 10 years.
akj53 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 18:45   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
So happy to see another Matiz owner! I have a silver one, 99 model. It has run around 60K kms and I'm still using it (I have an i10 too). As of now I have no plans to sell my car and I'd suggest you the same.
we have a 2000 Matiz metallic gray, done 70K, in the family. No car has been able to match it in any way as far as my experience goes. Even today it can start from zero on the 4th gear !!!! God bless the car. Plan to restore it with my first few salaries

I'd recommend not selling it unless very much necessary.
bilalsyed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 16:09   #51
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread! If your matiz is trouble free and running well, just keep it. Its a lovely little car to drive, especially within city.

If one day you decide to scrap, you could to the following:
- Let all Tbhp Matiz owners know about it atleast couple of weeks in advance. If they are in need of any part, you can give it/sell it to them
- Contact anyone from Gujari (You can PM for details, I know of a few trustable guys)
- Once they pick the car, go to Gujari at 6AM next day morning and ensure its broken. If you are/were attached to the car, it may be a difficult task to see your own car being broken down. If not, it could be a fun thing to watch (Not for me though)
-Deregister

Just for everyone's curiosit, please post some pictures.
Old 13th June 2012, 18:17   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You could donate the car to a charitable organisation / NGO that might use it for a noble cause. Sample Link
+1. You can also check with nearby driving schools/mechanics and check if they are interested in your car. Matiz is a very good car and I am sure a lot of people would be interested. Just weigh your options but please don't scrap it!
Old 23rd July 2012, 16:14   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends,

Can anyone help me to know the scrap value of an Opel Astra 1.6 1997 model?

I would like to dispose it off as I have no extra parking space. The existing parking space has to make way for another car that I am planning to buy. I am very emotional about the Astra as it is my first car which is purchased as a used one in 2005. So I have been driving the car for almost 7 years now. It ran well until lately it has started giving problems. Dealers quote a pathetic price for a used Astra, so am planning to scrap it. I stay in Mumbai so anyone who has scrapped the astra can help me to know the scrap value of the car and how to dispose it off peacefully and legally.

(Note: The car is in running condition, has done 75K Kms, accident free, no dents on the body whatsoever, AC is not working and has very minor rusting)
Old 23rd July 2012, 16:56   #54
BHPian

A good option is to take it to a new car dealer and exchange the vehicle. You are bound to receive at least 10K for a running four wheeler + the exchange bonus (Upto 60,000 with some manufacturers) + a new car.

On the other hand, if you were to dispose it legally, you will actually end up paying money to dispose it.
akhilesh51 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:50   #55
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8
Hi Friends,

I would like to dispose it off as I have no extra parking space. The existing parking space has to make way for another car that I am planning to buy. I am very emotional about the Astra as it is my first car which is purchased as a used one in 2005. So I have been driving the car for almost 7 years now. It ran well until lately it has started giving problems. Dealers quote a pathetic price for a used Astra, so am planning to scrap it. I stay in Mumbai so anyone who has scrapped the astra can help me to know the scrap value of the car and how to dispose it off peacefully and legally.

(Note: The car is in running condition, has done 75K Kms, accident free, no dents on the body whatsoever, AC is not working and has very minor rusting)
Sell it off piecemeal for parts. Ideally to an unorganized sector workshop who also does Opel vehicles.
Old 24th July 2012, 17:46   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Can anyone help me to know the scrap value of an Opel Astra 1.6 1997 model?I would like to dispose it off as I have no extra parking space.
I have the exact same issue, same car (different year though)! Do let me know how it works out. Maybe this post will help:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2753043

I'm not at all sentimental about our car though and it's in pretty bad shape; I just want it out of my parking space, so we'll have more space to walk around!
Old 24th July 2012, 19:08   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Hi Friends,

I would like to dispose it off as I have no extra parking space.
if the car is in running condition, i would suggest that you either gift it to somebody (in your family) in case is required, OR you put it for sale (try on TBHP classifieds) for a token amount + a condition to do the ownership transfer. this should at least fetch you 25-30k.
Old 28th October 2014, 12:46   #58
BHPian

Reviving an old thread.

Does anyone know any charitable organisation in Bangalore that would take an old car as donation.('98 model Esteem registered in my friend's name, in running condition, but with some problems related to age). Instead of selling off the car for whatever amount the brokers are offering, thinking of donating it to some charity.
Old 28th October 2014, 13:25   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
Reviving an old thread.

Does anyone know any charitable organisation in Bangalore that would take an old car as donation.('98 model Esteem registered in my friend's name, in running condition, but with some problems related to age). Instead of selling off the car for whatever amount the brokers are offering, thinking of donating it to some charity.
Why not approach some engineering colleages near by with a mechanical department wing? I am sure they would be more than glad to have a working car with them to explore.
Old 31st March 2017, 17:15   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
5. With the scrapping certificate, photographs, the ID plate and the registration documents, go to the RTO where the vehicle was registered, and ask for it to be de-registered. There's a standard form that you'll have to fill up, I forget the number;
I was looking for information on scrapping an old vehicle, and came across this post. Good information, helpful guidance. Thanks.

I have an old Kinetic ZX Zoom (2003) sitting at my home in Kerala. It has not been used in the last 2 years at all. The complicating factor is that it is registered in Hyderabad (AP-10 registration). The insurance gets renewed every year but it has not seen the outside of our house compound for years. I would like to dispose of it (registration is valid for a few more months) and use the NCB for my current Honda Activa that I use in Bangalore. I do not want to travel to Hyderabad just to get the vehicle deregistered. So is it OK if I just mail the documents to the RTO via RPAD?

Also, do RTOs maintain a list of approved scrap dealers? Does anyone have a recommendation of such a scrap dealer in Calicut, Kerala?
binand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed