Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2012, 18:21   #1
BHPian

Mercedes all ready to tuck up their sleeves!

Mercedes Benz, the first premium marque of country enjoyed the monopoly of itself in luxury segment of India. It quite created a name for itself till BMW and Audi came. The war between the trio went on and Mercedes was defeated. BMW became the most selling luxury brand followed by Audi and Mercedes was left at last. Now, Mercedes have made a serious plan to again become the largest selling luxury marque of India. The plan is as follows:-

1.MFA (Modular Front Architecture)
This is a technique by MB which is expected to decrease costs and at the same time, increase fuel efficiency. This is destined for markets like ours. The first products under this would be A-class and B-class. While A-class would not make it to India, B-class is surely expected to!

2.B-Class
The B-class is expected for launch during the festive seasons and has been spotted by Team-BHPians.

Link-http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/120220-scoop-mercedes-b-class-caught-testing-india.html

The B-class is expected to make it's debut with 4-cylinder 1.6 litre engine sourced from renault with 7-speed Dual clutch transmission.

3.A-Class Sedan
A-class has been already shown as a concept at Geneva Auto Show this year. The A-class is expected to debut in India sometime in 2014. Although many Engines are there, 1.8 litre A180 CDI engine is expected in the A class sedan.

4. The GLC-class
Mercedes is looking to develop a compact SUV using the underpinnings of the B-class to fight with BMW X1 and Audi Q3. It would have both front and rear wheel drive and will be called SUC (Sports Utility Cruiser).

5. The CLA-Class
The CLA was already shown as a concept at Beijing Auto Show this year and Mercedes calls it CSC or Compact Style Coupe. It would be priced lower than C-class in India and is planned to benefit by 10% lesser excise duty by making it lesser than 4-metres. But the question arises that Internationally, MB engines configurations start from 1.6 litre petrol and 1.8 litre diesel which does not meet the regulations for excise benefits. So, would mercedes design a new engine or source one from renault for this problem?

6. The GLK-Class
Mercedes is planning to introduce the facelift of this SUV to compete with BMW X3 and Audi Q5. It is expected to debut somewhere in 2015 and should improve in terms of design as well.

7. The E- Class extended wheelbase
An extended wheelbase variant of E class would be launched as top-of-the line variant. Maybe, This could force BMW amd Audi to bring the extended wheelbase variants of 5 series ans A6 as well.

8. The S-class
The epitome of luxury, the pioneer in technology will be launched in india as a 2013 variant to compete with 7-series, A8 and XJ. It would be offered in various body styles such as extended wheelbase, drop-top and pullman to compensate for withdrawl of Maybach!

Source- overdrive.in

P.S. Mods please merge the thread if such thread exists
Old 17th June 2012, 20:19   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes all ready to tuck up their sleeves!

The MFA family is sure to come and decide the future of Merc , though i don't particularly iike any of them.
GLC- Both FWD and RWD? Isn't it based on the MFA, how does RWD come into the picture?
GLK- Long time this model came to India. Lack of RHD model is the only thing stopping it from being launched here now.
EWB version- China gets them, why can't we too, we are too primarily chauffered luxury segment.
S class- Just wait for this to be launched, no amount of product placements in Hollywood action films will be enough to counter it.
Old 17th June 2012, 20:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
The MFA family is sure to come and decide the future of Merc , though i don't particularly iike any of them.
GLC- Both FWD and RWD? Isn't it based on the MFA, how does RWD come into the picture?
GLK- Long time this model came to India. Lack of RHD model is the only thing stopping it from being launched here now.
EWB version- China gets them, why can't we too, we are too primarily chauffered luxury segment.
S class- Just wait for this to be launched, no amount of product placements in Hollywood action films will be enough to counter it.
Sorry, but due to MFA, The GLC should be RWD. Came to know this after an hour of posting the thread, so, could not edit it.

Yes, The EWB version of E-class is offered in China and there is a possibility of it being launched here as the top most variant and when new S class is launched here, I'm sure it will be a game changer in the uber luxury segment.

Keep revvin'
S@ndy
Old 17th June 2012, 20:50   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
An extended wheelbase variant of E class would be launched as top-of-the line variant. Maybe, This could force BMW amd Audi to bring the extended wheelbase variants of 5 series ans A6 as well.
While most of the MB's plans have been mentioned on the forum before thanks to S350 and other members, the E-class Long wheel base version is a fresh news to me, unless I missed reading it somewhere.
I have stressed the need for BMW to launch the 5er LWB to keep the product line alive or it's only sibling will kill it, the new 3 series that will offer far better value and make the 5 seem a waste to stretch for. I think this will soon be a reality if the E comes with LWB version. This is exactly what our market needs since most of these segment cars are chauffeur driven and rear seat is of prime importance.

There is no doubt the new S is going to shake up the segment BIG TIME, I just hope MB India is quick to launch it as CKD. Given the hike in CBU pricing now even launching initially as CBU is not a good approach as it takes the on road price far higher due to duty+double RTO tax. The 7er is now CKD too thus MB must launch at a competitive price. However this will only be reality if MB India has already started preparing for the new S production, any insider news on this?

Last edited by Sahil : 17th June 2012 at 20:55.
Old 17th June 2012, 20:57   #5
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I have stressed the need for BMW to launch the 5er LWB to keep the product line alive or it's only sibling will kill it, the new 3 series that will offer far better value and make the 5 seem a waste to stretch for. I think this will soon be a reality if the E comes with LWB version. This is exactly what our market needs since most of these segment cars are chauffeur driven and rear seat is of prime importance.
Yes, If E-class comes in a long wheelbase variant, It would be another sedan of rich people who want S-class comfort at a far lesser price point. Not sure of the price, Could it be equivalent to the price of S-class?

S@ndy

Quote:

There is no doubt the new S is going to shake up the segment BIG TIME, I just hope MB India is quick to launch it as CKD. Given the hike in CBU pricing now even launching initially as CBU is not a good approach as it takes the on road price far higher due to duty+double RTO tax. The 7er is now CKD too thus MB must launch at a competitive price. However this will only be reality if MB India has already started preparing for the new S production, any insider news on this?
Yes, The S-Class would shake the uber luxury saloon segment for sure. Is the 7er now a CKD? This is something new for me. Seems that BMW would excel Mercedes again! Sure, Mercedes needs to react quickly by localising products of important segments .

Still the king would be Customer if S-class is localised in India!

S@ndy

Last edited by GTO : 18th June 2012 at 14:23. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 17th June 2012, 22:15   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, If E-class comes in a long wheelbase variant, It would be another sedan of rich people who want S-class comfort at a far lesser price point. Not sure of the price, Could it be equivalent to the price of S-class?

S@ndy
No way ! It probably will be between the the E and S pricing at most provided they add more features etc. But realistically it should be less than 10% price increase if everything stays same and only legroom is increased.

Internationally the LWB's are not much more expensive than the SWB versions.
They should perhaps discontinue SWB versions and less only LWB like they do with the 7 and S

Quote:

Still the king would be Customer if S-class is localised in India!

S@ndy
The S has been CKD for over a decade here. The previous generation was CKD too, I remember to BT article of Shekhar Suman having bought the S320L back then. I wonder how MB found it viable to make it as CKD back then when volume were so low, they should perhaps then consider CKD versions of others such as the CLS too.

Last edited by Sahil : 17th June 2012 at 22:19.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 22:31   #7
BHPian

Quote:

The S has been CKD for over a decade here. The previous generation was CKD too, I remember to BT article of Shekhar Suman having bought the S320L back then. I wonder how MB found it viable to make it as CKD back then when volume were so low, they should perhaps then consider CKD versions of others such as the CLS too.
Yes, If Mercedes start the CKD production of their four door coupe, The CLS here, It would surely be a killer at a killer price considering the considerable price increase of CBU vehicles and it would surely force Audi to put their A7 Sportback to production here.

S@ndy
Old 18th June 2012, 00:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

S@ndy,

Truly speaking I've posted most information in last 12 months and besides 3 series launch nothing has been off, here's the thread :

MB . BMW Model updates

Coming back to clarify this partially created and false post from Overdrive.in,

A-Class Hatch is coming with AMG, Huge investments are being made,

No Mercedes will never do any engine sourcing just to fall into a tax bracket for India. You will never see a Mercedes made for Indian Markets only, unless such volumes ever build up.

E-Class LWB is not coming. It's not possible as most of the LWB cars are made with Chinese partners, and would need both parties to agree upon,

S-CLass, They have just copy pasted Mercedes-Benz's global announcements on the next S-Class and since all fall above to homologation brackets it's quite common sense for anyone to know all will come to India. But NOT in 2013 as they will gradually be launched.

Quote:

3.A-Class Sedan

5. The CLA-Class
So, would mercedes design a new engine or source one from renault for this problem?

An extended wheelbase variant of E class would be launched as top-of-the line variant.

8. The S-classIt would be offered in various body styles such as extended wheelbase, drop-top and pullman to compensate for withdrawl of Maybach!
Sahil,

BMW 5 LWB is made by Brilliance, and while they have begun few exports it's a little difficult to get it here in India at this point, in fact close to impossible, as one like I said above both parties need to agree on it, secondly, we being RHD markets it needs a huge volume to even be considered, and lastly the same applies to MB and AUDI (The chinese market cars are made with a joint partners and it's only possible due to extra large volumes in the market). So please just ignore all these rubbish articles we have better reliable information here.

And S-Class, CKD will be launched March - June 2013, W221 Kits have been ordered until the end of december, but if sales go down the kits will be sold until they get over and if the volume is huge of old kits like the 3 then expect a little delay in S-Class launch but it will be well priced and well specced. Will update this better later in time if I'm still here on the board.

Regards,

Quote:
I have stressed the need for BMW to launch the 5er LWB to keep the product line alive
S350L-E240 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 00:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

What M-B needs , in my opinion, is a new C-Class and a B-class model to push their sales graph upwards. I know many who are thinking of buying a C-Class but are on the fence knowing that an all new car will show up in the next 2 years or so, maybe sooner and don't want to spend on an almost decade old design, despite the refreshment. A compact car with visual appeal is sorely missing from the current lineup.

Mercedes-Benz, can you start production of this car, please?
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes all ready to tuck up their sleeves!-637.jpg  

Last edited by nickatnite : 18th June 2012 at 00:58.
Old 18th June 2012, 09:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

From my limited knowledge, I doubt whether Mercedes did enough research on why their sales slumped in India (compared to BMW and Audi).

Very few people would switch from a Merc to BMW/Audi because of Initial Cost/Fuel efficiency.

Merc now has rivals whom customers compare with, unlike the case 20 years ago.
They cannot ride on the "It has to be good because it's a Benz - don't ask questions" propaganda anymore.

Atleast 3 people I know switched from Merc to BMW/Audi due to 'perceived' monstrous service costs. They were more irritated due to the 'unnecessary' repair jobs forced upon them by the Service Center.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 18th June 2012 at 09:57.
Old 18th June 2012, 10:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

I am a big fan of Mercedes, but I dont think the B class' going anywhere in India. It is just not Merc enough.

The tide will change for Merc, they have to be patient, but for the moment and for some more time, it will be BMW...errr Audi.

Last edited by rrsteer : 18th June 2012 at 10:13.
Old 18th June 2012, 14:18   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
S@ndy,

A-Class Hatch is coming with AMG, Huge investments are being made,

Regards,
S350L,

I highly doubt if A-Class AMG hatch is coming! Sure, If it is coming, It would fall in the C-class territory and cost upward of 30 lakh, considering high import duties of India. But do Mercedes really want to dilute their brand image by bringing a hatchback?

S@ndy
Old 18th June 2012, 15:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
S350L,

I highly doubt if A-Class AMG hatch is coming! Sure, If it is coming, It would fall in the C-class territory and cost upward of 30 lakh, considering high import duties of India. But do Mercedes really want to dilute their brand image by bringing a hatchback?

S@ndy
Its not a mere hatchback but a high performance one at that, think VW GTI you will know what MB is trying to hit at.

But before that I would like BMW to bring the 1M and give us a lower priced rear-drive monster.
Old 18th June 2012, 15:16   #14
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

A hatch would not dilute brand equity and even if it came in at lesser than to 20L rather than 30L all the better - it is indeed possible if one considers the X1 BMW entry point.

We pay about 5-9L for a hatch so a lux brand preformance hatch at between 15-20L would not dilute brand equity and would infact aid the brand in getting even higher market share and brand visibility which in recent times has been reduced thanks to aggressive offerings from Audi and BMW.

At closer to 25-30L it would be a no show when we have the X1 option available.
Old 18th June 2012, 15:39   #15
BANNED

I am looking out for the A-Klasse (and even the B-Klasse). Now with Mercedes using India as a manufacturing/ assembly hub hopefully more models will be seen in India in faster time as well.

Most Viewed