Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2012, 04:08   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: An upside to the petrol price hike : Used car residuals CRASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
Which version and year model? I am in the market for an AT and am trying to get a feel.
It was that AT version. I wasn't in town, the staff at my office did the deal so I am suspecting it wasn't a good price since it was rushed.
Old 19th June 2012, 11:20   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Is this true for places with easy access to CNG also? For eg. in Bombay, if I were to buy a car today, I would seriously think of buying a 2nd hand petrol car cheap and convert to CNG.
I guess yes. Mostly people don't want to convert car on CNG. Firstly it costs around 50 K for good kit. In case of second hand car its too much. Also many people thinks that converting on CNG will reduce the life of a car. Also in case of hatchbacks, once CNG is fitted, your boot space goes for a toss. So many people avoid it.
Old 19th June 2012, 11:59   #48
BHPian

Hi ,

Looks I am hit badly , I have one fiesta 1.6 SXI petrol and another 1.3 NXT Ikon also petrol .
Some time back I was planning to replace the Ikon with smaller car like Alto and wait for Ecosport to swap with Fiesta. Now I am confused.
If I decide to swap Ikon with diesel hatch then also I fear the government policies. Optionally If I book a diesel hatch against the Ikon and they hike the price after my booking then I ll have to pay more as the price is at the time of delivery. Whatever option I choose , does not look like a smart one.

Should I just wait and watch and be happy with what I have :-(

regards
Amol
Old 19th June 2012, 12:30   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2STROKE View Post
I tried to to sell my 2006 Indica Xeta and the the price offered the dealership was 60k + 20 k exchange bonus . Turned it down at that time as I felt it was too low a price . Now after the hike am not sure if I chose correctly .
I think you chose correctly, but the reason I have to offer is different. The dealership will usually have a large cut for themselves. Just get a friend to go and ask for price of a similar car to yours and you will have the answer. Please try to sell direct and you will get a much better price. Some car dealers also offer exchange bonus if you sell your car on your own. Desperate times are here for them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Some are talking about existing Diesel Cars being taxed, but I just don't see how they would do it if lifetime tax, octroi, excise and customs duty are all already paid. Yep some new regulation can be brought in but that does not seem likely.
if they want to get this implemented there are multiple ways in which it could be done. But considering all other issues, it does not seem that anything will be done about this till the elections in 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Being in Goa, I am not sure whether it is a boon or a bane for us to be having reduced petrol prices. On one side, it lowers our running costs as compared to those in other states. However, as misquitas has said, it means that we do not see the reduction in the price of used petrols in the market. However, this also means we can enjoy a slightly better resale if we are selling our own cars. I had been on the lookout for a C segment sedan for a lucrative price, and am sadly disappointed.
Kudos on the car pooling bit
Can you not buy a used sedan with MH registration to use in Goa? Or are the cops on lookout for such vehicles? Considering the drop in prices here, it may be beneficial even if you pay road tax in Goa for it and get it transferred to local RTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolathalye View Post
Looks I am hit badly , I have one fiesta 1.6 SXI petrol and another 1.3 NXT Ikon also petrol .
Some time back I was planning to replace the Ikon with smaller car like Alto and wait for Ecosport to swap with Fiesta. Now I am confused.
We all are hit badly one way or the other.

A safe option for you would be to swap the Ikon with a used diesel hatch. It is highly unlikely they will charge tax to existing diesel car owners.

Swapping your Fiesta for the Ecosport is opening an entirely different Pandora's box. Mid to higher segment petrol cars are the worst hit. If you go for the Ecosport petrol, then you are exposed to same petrol price hike. If you go for the diesel then you are exposed to new car diesel tax which is a probability. Damned if you do or dont. Its better you consider this closer to launch depending on any new upheavals (not sure if these decisions can be termed as policy anymore!) that we hear of in the interim.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 12:38   #50
Senior - BHPian

Now my Elantra GLS will be well worth keeping than selling. It's 6.5 years old. I'm basically loosing interest in car's and more into travelling these days. My car is humming along, jus fine. Oh, yes, almost forgot should get it serviced the last time it was serviced was in May last (2011). I basically, find this thread an excuse for guy's to swap car's: amount's to "jumping from the frying pan into the fire".

Last edited by Durango Dude : 19th June 2012 at 12:44.
Old 19th June 2012, 12:43   #51
BHPian

Hi Selfdrive ,

That means it should be smartest to hold it back. Instead of spending money in one shot for my new purcchase I can use it slowly for my petrol bills as I would not be interested in used cars.

regards
amol
amolathalye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 14:29   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Kudos on the car pooling bit
Can you not buy a used sedan with MH registration to use in Goa? Or are the cops on lookout for such vehicles? Considering the drop in prices here, it may be beneficial even if you pay road tax in Goa for it and get it transferred to local RTO.
Thanks!

Yes, that maybe a good option. However, cops are on the lookout for such vehicles. Not that they are essentially fined, but mostly such vehicles are the first ones to be stopped at junctions. But then if you have all documents in order, I guess there isn't really a lot that can go wrong.
Old 19th June 2012, 15:21   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
Man o Man!!

I had given up on the idea of selling my well maintained Civic (2007,40k , MT), owing to the poor resale values, despite my dad's insistance on replacing the nearly 5 year old car with a diesel. But. A BMW 325i @ 10-12 lakhs has given me a whole new idea to replace my civic with a beemer.

Any indicators to some one selling a well maintained one in Delhi/NCR or in Punjab would be very very welcome.
PM Reddevilgautam for details - he had been tracking a 4 yr old 325i in Gurgaon which just got sold around 10.5 L !
Old 19th June 2012, 15:35   #54
BHPian

@JishD. I Know. It was his post about that 325i for 10.5 lakhs , that gave me the idea for this upgrade plan.

FYI, a friend of mine , bought a 2009 BMW 325i, 27k, Mint condition, for 12 lakhs in Delhi. just last week.

I am still drooling over it..
Old 19th June 2012, 16:07   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
PM Reddevilgautam for details - he had been tracking a 4 yr old 325i in Gurgaon which just got sold around 10.5 L !
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
@JishD. I Know. It was his post about that 325i for 10.5 lakhs , that gave me the idea for this upgrade plan.

FYI, a friend of mine , bought a 2009 BMW 325i, 27k, Mint condition, for 12 lakhs in Delhi. just last week.

I am still drooling over it..
Actually I am in the same position as yours. I am/was very happy with my 2008 Civic but seeing the prices of BMW 325is have tempted me to switch. Do let me know if you come across any such deals and I will do the same. The only thing I didn't like about the 2008 (it was actually 2007 model but registered in 2008) BMW 325i was its extremely heavy steering. I know BMW's have heavy steering intentionally but I thought this one would be too tough to maneuver it in traffic. The steering in the 320d which I test drove few weeks back was much lighter.
Old 19th June 2012, 17:08   #56
BHPian

This looks tempting. 7 series for 7lakhs. Needs a bit of touchup and it could be a daily driver. Number plate says West Bengal but the owner says registered in Orissa. Thoughts?
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...7-Series.html/
Old 19th June 2012, 18:56   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2STROKE View Post
I tried to to sell my 2006 Indica Xeta and the the price offered the dealership was 60k + 20 k exchange bonus . Turned it down at that time as I felt it was too low a price . Now after the hike am not sure if I chose correctly .
I had a 2007 indica xeta and my brother in law was interested in buying that car as he knows all the pros and cons of it.
I also could not hold on to two petrol cars,so called a few local dealers and the best quote i got was 1.3lakhs,so i sold it for the same price to my BIL.

Contrary to what many believe,Indica xeta is really a nice family car.
Good low end torque for city riding and also very good mileage of 13-14kmpl in city conditons with AC.
Not sure why it become a market dud.
Sorry if its
Old 19th June 2012, 19:28   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Anybody can comment on the used car price corrections in bangalore?

I would be interested to swap out my 2011 Santro with a 3 yr old Alto/WagonR.
It would be 100% driver driven and daily commute is less than 20 kms. So petrol is just fine.

Would I get an 2008/2009 Alto Lxi for under 1.5L? Would blindly take it no matter what price I give my Santro away. 2008/2009 i10 Magna for 2L would be tempting but I have decided against a Hyundai again..
We sold our 1999 Santro L2 model for 1,25,000 about a week ago. Admittedly it hadn't run much, only 30k on the odo as we've always had a second car and this was for local running.

The person we sold it to was also looking at a 4 year old Wagon R and Santro which he had negotiated to 2.5 Lakhs. All cars in very good condition of course as we spoke about it and he still picked our Santro (points for maintenace? ). You should be able to get a 3-4 year old Alto in excellent condition for no more than 2 Lakhs. Under 1.5 Lakhs might be difficult but spread a wide net and you might catch a good one, the extra few grand will be worth it in the long run if it's a car in mint condition.

Hope that helps
Old 19th June 2012, 21:01   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
This looks tempting. 7 series for 7lakhs. Needs a bit of touchup and it could be a daily driver. Number plate says West Bengal but the owner says registered in Orissa. Thoughts?
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...7-Series.html/
You may want to double check on this. The car could be imported in West Bengal and then the state taxes could have been paid for Orissa state [assuming the WB taxes were also played] however some will not want to change the number so they keep the registration.

But double check.
NikhilReddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 12:34   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
No such massive fall in prices here in Bangalore. Last few days I have been checking out used car sites and I dont see a dramatic fall compared to 6 months back- atleast I dont see it online. Have to check with dealers next.
Well, you cant go by what is 'listed' on the used car sites. These are the prices seller wants but are not the realistic prices that would be finally settled during the actual sale. You can see a 2009 i10 Magna AT with 35000 km on odo listed for 5 lacs but in reality it may not even fetch 3 lacs.

Most Viewed