Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2006, 14:13   #1
BHPian

Did any Indian company produce a Hummer look-alike?

I remember surfing the net a year ago when I came across a defence vehicles range of one of the Indian manufacturers. Believe me, in the defence exports list, I saw a hummer lookalike. I dont remember which manufacturer it was, do you know anything about such vehicle, if it existed? By the way, I am not talking about the Tempo Juggernaut featured in auto expo 2002.
Old 12th April 2006, 15:48   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1
I remember surfing the net a year ago when I came across a defence vehicles range of one of the Indian manufacturers. Believe me, in the defence exports list, I saw a hummer lookalike. I dont remember which manufacturer it was, do you know anything about such vehicle, if it existed? By the way, I am not talking about the Tempo Juggernaut featured in auto expo 2002.
Bajaj Firodia's TRAX is the closest match to the Hummer, in the same way that Tata Sumo closely follows the Land-Rover.

I mean don't look at comfort, build quality, etc. But the basic architecture and the looks of it quite matches.

Cheers,
Manish
Old 12th April 2006, 15:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

I remember few years ago, Trax has developed a concept that was similar to Hummer. I think it was displayed at one of the Auto expo.

Edit: Sorry, just read the complete message and you already mentioned about this.
Old 12th April 2006, 16:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

AS far as I know the only Hummer look alike we have ever produced was the Juggernaut but I think something similar might have also been produced by Vehicle factory, Jabalpur (VFJ) not sure about it though.
Old 12th April 2006, 19:41   #5
BHPian

When I say a Hummer lookalike, I mean a HUMMER LOOKALIKE by definition and the vehicle which I had seen on the website looked almost liked the HUMVEE and it was not supposed to be for civilian use just like the Humvee. The problem is that i cannot remember the manufacturer and I must say that it was one of India's prominent manufacturers.
Old 12th April 2006, 19:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

You will find a decent listing of vehicles used by the defense services at this link:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-F.../Logistic.html
Old 12th April 2006, 20:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Maybe you mean the Tempo Juggernaut, which was shown at Auto Expo 2002 as just a show car.

It was touted to be a car on the same lines as that of the Hummer, and it was pretty big. The comparison was direct.

A rumour of limited production was spread, but it was never made.
Old 12th April 2006, 21:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Its not the Army Hunky and Tuffy vehicles ?

Last edited by bigman : 12th April 2006 at 21:56.
Old 12th April 2006, 22:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

i think the humvee lookalike salil saw was this army tuffy 505 vehicle which was loosely based on humvee ,and was supposedly constructed on gypsy chassis . i too saw a humvee clone in a DRDO ad in a news daily
Old 13th April 2006, 00:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

If it is the Huffy and Tuffy (awful names) then they have a few vehicles which are wheeled out for special events. Last I heard there were none in actual service.

They will probably end up like the Arjun MBT, substandard products which cost more to develop than to buy in from a proven manufacturer, and with awful quality. They were testing the Arjun MBT a while back in Rajasthan and temperatures reached 48 degrees inside the tank. Can you imagine our soldiers risking their lives in such rubbish. Our soldiers deserve the best but do not always get the best equipment.
Old 13th April 2006, 00:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

C********r*********a***********p
Old 13th April 2006, 00:48   #12
elf
BANNED

Mahindra's version...

Saw something at the Pali Haat (Pali Hill street fair) last month, as well as the last Times expo at Bandra-Kurla from Mahindra & Mahindra that was tricked out to look like a Hummer, complete with top cabin running lights (although they can't use the round lights & 7-slat grille anymore due to copyright/trademark restrictions from Jeep).

What really amused me to bits was that it was a dual cab pick-up truck with the rear bed open to the elements... where M&M had placed some lovely thick felt carpeting!!! What was even funnier, was that the entire bed was sealed really well & had no drain holes, as the sales representative proudly informed me.

Don't their dummy product planners ever think about practical use? I'd luuuuuurrrve to see this in the monsoons... Maybe they're planning to sell it to the hip-hop kings - "Man - check this out - it comes with a felt lined swimming pool in the back - just add water"!!!

Freaks!

P.S. - I just found the link on the M&M Website - it's called the Bolero Commander
Check it out for yourselves at http://www.mahindrascorpio.com/concept/
They even say (& I quote)... "See cars fresh out of imagination"! Hahahahaha!

Last edited by elf : 13th April 2006 at 01:00. Reason: found link
Old 13th April 2006, 11:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
If it is the Huffy and Tuffy (awful names) then they have a few vehicles which are wheeled out for special events. Last I heard there were none in actual service.
can u post photos of these vehicles or provide a related weblink??
Old 13th April 2006, 15:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1
can u post photos of these vehicles or provide a related weblink??
I have posted two pictures in my post above.
Old 13th April 2006, 15:44   #15
BHPian

hey i love all the new models....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks