Team-BHP - SCOOP: BMW X1 facelift and Ford Kuga??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   SCOOP: BMW X1 facelift and Ford Kuga?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/122324-scoop-bmw-x1-facelift-ford-kuga.html)

Hey Guys,

I saw 2 interesting cars at ARAI,Pune yesterday.

Attached below are pics of a disguised X1 (facelifted version) . It was a diesel (saw the word diesel on the fuel guage) . All four disc brakes were visible through the alloys which are probably a new design. Interiors sported silver and black. Only parts of the car were disguised hence i figured it was a facelift with upgraded asthetics in few places. The car looked a bit sportier overall than the current X1 or probably it was just an impression i got. The interior seems to be upgraded with the iDrive controller and Gearshift lever from the current generation of BMW cars. I dont think i have seen these on current gen X1s. Maybe in response to the Q3, BMW is readying this new version of the X1 with better asthetics and interiors and maybe even some features which cant be made out here.

Also i saw a completely undisguised Ford Kuga. It was mighty impressive. Wasnt allowed to take photos but the car looked very very handsome. It was a diesel but the driver didnt tell me the output or engine size or any other details. Very nice interiors and also exteriors. It seems 2014 was the original target for this car but it is being sped up for next year (as per the driver whose credentials i am not aware of).

The X1 which i saw and was able to snap and a pic of the Ford Kuga from the internet :

SCOOP: BMW X1 facelift and Ford Kuga??-img2012062000154.jpg

SCOOP: BMW X1 facelift and Ford Kuga??-img2012062000155.jpg

SCOOP: BMW X1 facelift and Ford Kuga??-img2012062000156.jpg

SCOOP: BMW X1 facelift and Ford Kuga??-img2012062000157.jpg

SCOOP: BMW X1 facelift and Ford Kuga??-img2012062000159.jpg

SCOOP: BMW X1 facelift and Ford Kuga??-img2012062000160.jpg

SCOOP: BMW X1 facelift and Ford Kuga??-fordkuga1.jpg

Source for Ford Kuga reference pic:Ford Kuga 2011 Price in India | Price It!

Thanks for sharing the scoop with us, moved the thread here from Assembly line.

While the cosmetic changes do look very minor, the inclusion of the brilliant ZF 8 speed transmission(look at the gear lever, it is no longer the mechanical shifting unit but Electronic controller we see in the 5 series) is the most welcome change.

I certainly hope that its the 8 speed transmission. It helps the 2 litre engine work that little bit better definitely. Wondering if the iDrive will be upgraded as well.

Ford seems to be concentrating on SUVs for the Indian market as of now it seems. There is a demand for SUV (or mini-SUV) in the 7L to 15L segments. I suppose they will be looking at EcoSport sales before finalizing Kuga for us.

The BMW X1 facelift was launched internationally last month. BMW India has to launch it ASAP to counter the Q3 CKD version due soon.

Here are details of the international x1 facelift: 2013 BMW X1 facelift detailed with 100 photos

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselite (Post 2816240)
Hey Guys,

Also i saw a completely undisguised Ford Kuga. It was mighty impressive. Wasnt allowed to take photos but the car looked very very handsome. It was a diesel but the driver didnt tell me the output or engine size or any other details. Very nice interiors and also exteriors. It seems 2014 was the original target for this car but it is being sped up for next year (as per the driver whose credentials i am not aware of).

Wow! Thats brilliant. Kuga is much more elegant than the new Ecosport. And I believe it's slightly bigger as well.

Something to watch for if they can price it around 14-15 Lakhs.

Absolutely right. The Kuga is great. Similar to the new breed of small crossovers like VW Tiguan, Nissan Qashqai, etc.
If they price it well here, it could be a winner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tachobells (Post 2816740)
Wow! Thats brilliant. Kuga is much more elegant than the new Ecosport. And I believe it's slightly bigger as well.

I think its much bigger - Kuga is around 4400 mm while Ecosport will be less than 4000 mm...thats 16 inches in difference...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselite (Post 2816240)
Hey Guys,

I saw 2 interesting cars at ARAI,Pune yesterday.

Looks like Ford is trying for a near simultaneous launch of the SUVs in its stable. When servicing my Fusion I was given to understand that the Endeavour would be upgraded by 2012 end with a Mini SUV launch this year itself. I was presuming it would be the Eco-Sport, but now it is clear that it will be the Kuga. ARAI testing means launch dates are 2-3 months down the line. In time for Diwali perhaps?
Re. the pricing - UK discount prices range from around GBP 20000 for 2wd to 26,000 for topend AWD with powershift. So in all probality you will get pricing of 20L to 28L unless Ford does local assly. & localises minor items like Battery, Tyres, Glass etc. Most unlikely. So another high priced import with 2 digit sales!!:Frustrati

Drove the Kuga in Germany last year (one in my avatar pic :D). Its a great little SUV but definitely not in the league of Fortuner and party. Its a five seater and smaller than the XUV. If priced in the range of 15~16, it sure can see good numbers.

Somebody at work just brought a BMW 320d and we were discussing X1 and Q3. He told me that x1 is bare bones BMW and it has none of the features a BMW is known for. Every BMW owner looks down upon an X1 and it is only purchased by people who pool in all their life savings. I have to say I was a little disappointed to hear that as I have been keenly reading about the X1 / Q3 and how they pan out in the Indian market. I could actually upgrade to one of them eventually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sridhar-v (Post 2817129)
Looks like Ford is trying for a near simultaneous launch of the SUVs in its stable. When servicing my Fusion I was given to understand that the Endeavour would be upgraded by 2012 end with a Mini SUV launch this year itself. I was presuming it would be the Eco-Sport, but now it is clear that it will be the Kuga. ARAI testing means launch dates are 2-3 months down the line. In time for Diwali perhaps?
Re. the pricing - UK discount prices range from around GBP 20000 for 2wd to 26,000 for topend AWD with powershift. So in all probality you will get pricing of 20L to 28L unless Ford does local assly. & localises minor items like Battery, Tyres, Glass etc. Most unlikely. So another high priced import with 2 digit sales!!:Frustrati

At 20-28, it'll be another Renault Koleos. :deadhorse

I hate the manufacturer strategy "Let's bring it as a CBU first, measure the response and then think about localization".
Just ask Suzuki (Kizashi) if this works!

And once a product is dead because of the pricing, it's hard to revitalize even after localization/price cuts.
Just ask Honda (Jazz) or Skoda (Fabia)!

The Kuga was definitely one size higher than the Ecosport but slightly smaller than the XUV. I dont think Ford should cross the 15L barrier even for the top end Kuga with automatic transmission etc. The Ecosport would be their sub 10 lakh SUV and the Kuga will cover their 10-15 lakh segment and the endeavour will be 15-20 lakh segment. Size wise also their incremental footprints augur well for the price and overall feel.

guys, as per CONFIRMED inputs (my inputs on ford have been spot on till date :D) the Kuga is a certainty for india and will be a CKD to start with and based on the demand, may move to manufacturing too. so expect very competitive pricing (hint- there is a wide gap between the XUV and the fortuner)

Ford's plan is to make india the hub for small SUV manufacture for south east Asia and Africa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor
Somebody at work just brought a BMW 320d and we were discussing X1 and Q3. He told me that x1 is bare bones BMW and it has none of the features a BMW is known for. Every BMW owner looks down upon an X1 and it is only purchased by people who pool in all their life savings. I have to say I was a little disappointed to hear that as I have been keenly reading about the X1 / Q3 and how they pan out in the Indian market. I could actually upgrade to one of them eventually.

You would do better with the Q3 as product for product it is a far better offering than the X1 currently. Yes a purist BMW person may look down upon an X1, but ultimately one had to decide whether in buying a car, one is trying to please one's self or please someone else! In my book there seems to be way too much snobbery in this car buying business. The sooner we focus more deeply on the quality, utility value and general enjoyment the better it will be. End of the day, you are spending your hard earned, so it is very important to be happy with your decision, whatever anyone at all may say! Opinions, like someone said are like backsides, everyone has one. Question is, who do you want to listen to, other than your own heart and head!