Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2015, 17:36   #241
BHPian

Re: Petrol versus Diesel Cars

Apologies friends to barge in between the discussion, as I couldn't read the entire thread,I wanted to know in a nutshell, if the fuel + maintanence cost on a petrol car is economical compared to diesel car on a long term now? Obviously i am comparing same cars of different fuel variants.. say ertiga petrol with ertiga diesel or verna/i20 petrol with verna/i20 diesel or a swift twins petrol with swift twins diesel... I have this question, because it will help me to ascertain my future choice..
Old 15th April 2015, 21:36   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
Apologies friends to barge in between the discussion, as I couldn't read the entire thread,I wanted to know in a nutshell, if the fuel + maintanence cost on a petrol car is economical compared to diesel car on a long term now? Obviously i am comparing same cars of different fuel variants.. say ertiga petrol with ertiga diesel or verna/i20 petrol with verna/i20 diesel or a swift twins petrol with swift twins diesel... I have this question, because it will help me to ascertain my future choice..

All of it comes down to how much running you will do annually. Anywhere in the ballpark of 10-12k a year should be fine for a petrol. Anything over that, a diesel would make more sense to me. Infact at 10/12k also, you are at the borderline for petrol vs. diesel. So in that range, it comes to personal preference.. Some cars offer more power in petrol or in diesel (like i20 petrol is way inferior to diesel). In terms of reliability only, petrol cars generally have lesser niggles as compared.
Old 4th June 2015, 19:18   #243
BHPian

What about changed 'Green' rules?

I have a 8+ year old Scorpio that I now am forced to quickly sell off due to the changed laws in Delhi?

Maybe a few years from now, this law would be enforced everywhere?
rockyjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 14:48   #244
Senior - BHPian

Have been driving a Fiesta 1.4TDCi diesel for the past 5 years, recently test drove a Fluidic Verna 1.6 petrol.
Realised i'm just too comfortable to the torque and drivability of a diesel!

The Fiesta's power kicks in at 1800rpm compared to 4200rpm on the Verna, which makes overtaking etc so much easier on the former, without having to keep the engine at high revs all through.
Old 30th September 2015, 14:44   #245
BHPian

I am in a dilemma, should I go for a Petrol car or a Diesel car?

Let me explain why I am in this dilemma.
I commute 45 Kms every day six days a week in Bangalore, that's 1215 Kms per month. If I add up the week end running around say 100 Kms every weekend-which is pretty high, then it might come up to around 1600 - 1650 Kms per month. Long highway drives are not that frequent. If we go, it's going to be once a year.

Right now the commute is being done in a 2009 i20 Asta CRDI. Commuting at peak hours six days a week which takes over fours hours every day is taking it's toll on my left leg. So the though of changing the car to an automatic is creeping in.
Now if you look at Diesel automatic options, the options are very few with in the fifteen lakhs bracket. When it comes to Petrol automatics, then the options are pretty decent.

I love hatchbacks but, don't mind sedans. So with the kind of commute I do every month, which car would be perfect? Month end I don't want a huge hole in the pocket due to running and maintenance cost.
Old 30th September 2015, 15:12   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston View Post

I commute 45 Kms every day six days a week in Bangalore, that's 1215 Kms per month. If I add up the week end running around say 100 Kms every weekend-which is pretty high, then it might come up to around 1600 - 1650 Kms per month. Long highway drives are not that frequent. If we go, it's going to be once a year.

Right now the commute is being done in a 2009 i20 Asta CRDI. Commuting at peak hours six days a week which takes over fours hours every day is taking it's toll on my left leg. So the though of changing the car to an automatic is creeping in.
Now if you look at Diesel automatic options, the options are very few with in the fifteen lakhs bracket. When it comes to Petrol automatics, then the options are pretty decent.

I love hatchbacks but, don't mind sedans. So with the kind of commute I do every month, which car would be perfect? Month end I don't want a huge hole in the pocket due to running and maintenance cost.
Well a Diesel would definitely save you money in the long run given the distances you commute. However, petrol cars are cheaper to buy initially, more rewarding to drive and considering you commute during peak hours, driving a Petrol car would go a long way toward decreasing air pollution. Diesels also emit carcinogens which is again terrible for people living in the area. In the end it is upto you
Old 30th September 2015, 15:26   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You already have experienced the economy of a diesel, moving to petrol now will not make sense. Also, petrol is always going to remain costlier than diesel and diesel vehicles in an apple to apple comparison give more mileage than their petrol counterparts

The only question that remains to be answered is which diesel automatic?

A Creta would be the best option

You can stay within the Hyundai family, service the vehicle in the same place where your i20 was getting serviced. Also, the Creta has received good reviews and is a hot proposition at the moment, you cannot go wrong with it

If you are able to pull in the funds, then its going to be good fun

Last edited by TheARUN : 30th September 2015 at 15:32.
Old 30th September 2015, 15:38   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hey Houston I can share my views, if that helps:

- You have owned a diesel car for a long time now, but I am not sure if you have owned a petrol before. However, both my previous cars were petrol and this is my first diesel and I can vouch that it has a considerably substantial savings.

- Petrol cars are refined, comparatively cheaper to buy/maintain, less environment polluting, etc but personally I prefer the torque pull/thrust of a diesel motor.

- In the current scenario of the Indian Auto-market, there are quite a few Automatic Diesel options such as Verna, Vento, Rapid, especially if you have a budget of 15lks.

- Today's diesel engines have come a long way and are just are robust/reliable as their petrol counterparts. So, as long as you watch the health of your car, you need not bother about the maintenance issue.

- A petrol engine can never be as efficient as its diesel counterpart. So if you are looking at a monthly run about of over 1700kms, a petrol automatic may not be the most frugal. An auto diesel can give the the best of both worlds
Old 30th September 2015, 15:44   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I was initially thinking of telling you to keep the i20 and run it to the ground, but if your left leg is bothering you so much, then I guess a change is warranted.

Diesel automatic options are available in the VW family (Vento/Rapid). Also, try the Tata Zest AMT? Being a sub-4m car, it might be easier to handle in rush hour traffic.
Old 30th September 2015, 17:16   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Well a Diesel would definitely save you money in the long run given the distances you commute. However, petrol cars are cheaper to buy initially, more rewarding to drive and considering you commute during peak hours, driving a Petrol car would go a long way toward decreasing air pollution. Diesels also emit carcinogens which is again terrible for people living in the area. In the end it is upto you
IshaanIan-Thank you for pushing me deep into the dilemma I am already in

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
You already have experienced the economy of a diesel, moving to petrol now will not make sense. Also, petrol is always going to remain costlier than diesel and diesel vehicles in an apple to apple comparison give more mileage than their petrol counterparts

The only question that remains to be answered is which diesel automatic?

A Creta would be the best option

You can stay within the Hyundai family, service the vehicle in the same place where your i20 was getting serviced. Also, the Creta has received good reviews and is a hot proposition at the moment, you cannot go wrong with it

If you are able to pull in the funds, then its going to be good fun
TheArun-Have been driving Diesel cars since last 20 years. I agree with you.
Creta automatic-Yes it could be the best option but, it's out of my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey Houston I can share my views, if that helps:

- You have owned a diesel car for a long time now, but I am not sure if you have owned a petrol before. However, both my previous cars were petrol and this is my first diesel and I can vouch that it has a considerably substantial savings.

- Petrol cars are refined, comparatively cheaper to buy/maintain, less environment polluting, etc but personally I prefer the torque pull/thrust of a diesel motor.

- In the current scenario of the Indian Auto-market, there are quite a few Automatic Diesel options such as Verna, Vento, Rapid, especially if you have a budget of 15lks.

- Today's diesel engines have come a long way and are just are robust/reliable as their petrol counterparts. So, as long as you watch the health of your car, you need not bother about the maintenance issue.

- A petrol engine can never be as efficient as its diesel counterpart. So if you are looking at a monthly run about of over 1700kms, a petrol automatic may not be the most frugal. An auto diesel can give the best of both worlds
Vik0728-My wife owns i10 auto. That's the only Petrol car I drive when my left leg gives away. I have grown up with Diesel cars.
I did give a thought about Vento & Rapid. I am not sure of DQ200 gear box used in these two cars. Long time reliability is a question mark. So would like to keep away from these two cars. I do have Verna in my mind but, the only thing which is bugging me is the 4 speed gear box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I was initially thinking of telling you to keep the i20 and run it to the ground, but if your left leg is bothering you so much, then I guess a change is warranted.

Diesel automatic options are available in the VW family (Vento/Rapid). Also, try the Tata Zest AMT? Being a sub-4m car, it might be easier to handle in rush hour traffic.
KiloAlpha-VM family. I would like to keep away from them. Hyundai I think have spoilt me silly. AMT? Not sure. I haven't even taken a test drive of any AMT cars but, already I am biased - don't know why?
So it look like I need to stick to a Diesel car
Old 30th September 2015, 17:32   #251
BHPian

Quote:

You can look at used car options in case you don't have any apprehensions on using a pre workshipped vehicle (i have been checking in Chennai, no idea about Bangalore though). Clean diesel vernas are available from 6 .5 lacs to about 10 lacs depending on year and variant. You can also look at Zest and the TUV, the only 2 sub 10 lac AT options at the moment.
Old 30th September 2015, 17:34   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Economically, here is the picture:
Since you are saying approximately 1500 km per month is your usual journey
- if you use petrol, at 15 kmpl mileage, you would be spending about 6K a month.
- if you use diesel, at 20 kmpl mileage, you would be spending about 4K a month
So, 2K gained each month, which is roughly 24K a year.
In this case, if you buy a Diesel at a premium of 1L, you would break even after 4 years or after driving 72K kms.
If you intend to keep this car for several years, and drive for more than 1 lakh kms, then only going for a diesel car makes sense for you. Else consider petrol car.

Driving:
Diesel cars mostly offer excellent torque in higher gears and mid / top range would be good. However, since most of your drive is limited to city, you can use petrol car with comfort within city. It is easy to drive, and comes with less noise.

Buying an automatic:
It is good to consider an automatic, to drive comfortably within the city. There are a number of petrol automatics within 10L OTR.

My suggestion to your usage pattern is to get a petrol car. However, since you are already using a CRDi engine, do take extensive test drive for the petrol cars, because you should not miss any fun your previous diesel car used to give.

Consider: Polo GT Tsi, New Figo DCT, Honda Jazz CVT for hatchbacks
hybridpetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 17:43   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
You can look at used car options in case you don't have any apprehensions on using a pre workshipped vehicle (i have been checking in Chennai, no idea about Bangalore though). Clean diesel vernas are available from 6 .5 lacs to about 10 lacs depending on year and variant. You can also look at Zest and the TUV, the only 2 sub 10 lac AT options at the moment.
Karthik Chandra: Pre-Owned cars, I am not comfortable. I am sure Bangalore will have options.
Old 30th September 2015, 19:49   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Economically, here is the picture:
Since you are saying approximately 1500 km per month is your usual journey
- if you use petrol, at 15 kmpl mileage, you would be spending about 6K a month.
- if you use diesel, at 20 kmpl mileage, you would be spending about 4K a month
So, 2K gained each month, which is roughly 24K a year.
In this case, if you buy a Diesel at a premium of 1L, you would break even after 4 years or after driving 72K kms.
If you intend to keep this car for several years, and drive for more than 1 lakh kms, then only going for a diesel car makes sense for you. Else consider petrol car.

I am afraid the above calculation is quite simplistic and doesn't capture all the factors:
  1. Premium for Diesel vs Petrol for same model is more than 1L for most of the cars, usually it is more like ~1.5L.
  2. Lost annual interest on the 1.5L premium paid for a diesel car has not been considered. At 8.5%, it is about Rs 12,750 annually. This extends the period you need to drive to recover the additional premium.
  3. Difference in diesel and petrol prices is not going to be constant. We know that the diesel subsidy is being phased out, and soon the price difference between diesel and petrol may become negligible. (This is one major factor driving the trend back towards Petrol vehicles)
  4. NGT has recently reduced service life of diesel cars to 10 yrs in Delhi (implementation still pending) but this is a trend and similar actions might happen in other highly polluted cities. This will likely reduce the resale of a diesel car as compared to a petrol car for which a 15 yr service life has been proposed.
  5. Diesel cars need servicing more frequently and incur higher service costs.

Due to all the above factors, the number of kilometers a user must drive annually to recover the premium paid for a diesel is rising and for a lot of users there is no economic advantage anymore. Many people still buy Diesel because psychologically, shelling out a higher amount each time you fill petrol is harder to digest than the one time premium for Diesel.
I have come across posts in the forum where users have created nice excel sheets with all the above, and probably many other factors, where you can just enter data like your annual running and cost of diesel/petrol etc and it tells you how much your annual usage must be to justify a Diesel car. (I don't have a link handy, but I know they are out there)
mustang_shelby is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 20:20   #255
Senior - BHPian

Maintenance costs will be higher on a diesel. I recently spent 11K on my timing chain replacement on my Punto MJD. A friend owning a 2008 Verna CRDI was quoted 30K for the timing chain change.

Apart from the loss of interest , there's the loss arising from depreciation of the upfront 1-1.5 lac invested. There are other factors like the refinement of petrol engines, driving pleasure etc. Most likely my next car will be a petrol.

Unless one runs a taxi business, owning a diesel won't make a lot of economic sense.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 30th September 2015 at 20:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks