Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2012, 21:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Petrol versus Diesel Cars

Fantastic worksheet. But I wonder how the breakeven running kms are calculated.

This apart, the formula for 'Overall' in cell D19 seems to be flawed. It reads as:-
=SUM(D6,D12,D15,C16)-D18

But it should be:-
=SUM(D6,D12,D15,C16)-C18
as there is no value in D18 cell.

@audioholic---You have valid points in your post.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 22:18   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
The money saved from running on diesel is also going to fetch extra interest which is significant. I believe that also needs to be taken into account to get more accurate picture. However, this calculation details are commendable.
To invest the money that one saves by running on diesel is going to require some very very serious financial discipline. At the most one can consider some small interest that it would earn in one's Savings Bank A/c, which would be too marginal to take into consideration IMO.
Old 7th July 2012, 00:05   #18
BHPian

Wonderful work Jessie ! That must've taken some amount of serious thinking. I had read a similar article in Zigwheels a few months back and was looking for a suitable thread to post it on. Here's the link, courtsey Zigwheels:-

Petrol vs Diesel: And the Economies of Scale Page - 1| ZigWheels.com

Once again, Good Show ! !
Old 7th July 2012, 10:35   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Fantastic worksheet. But I wonder how the breakeven running kms are calculated.

This apart, the formula for 'Overall' in cell D19 seems to be flawed. It reads as:-
=SUM(D6,D12,D15,C16)-D18

But it should be:-
=SUM(D6,D12,D15,C16)-C18
as there is no value in D18 cell.

@audioholic---You have valid points in your post.
Thanks vnabhi, you are right. So many changes & cell mergings in the sheet resulted in this error. The calculations for the illustrations is however correct as I added the row for the difference in the resale price later and for the illustrations have taken the cell difference only i.e. D17-C17. Please find attached the revised calculator.

The break-even, as I mentioned in my original post, is calculated by entering about 3-5 entries in the Distance cell (C8) to arrive at an overall difference (cell C20) in the range of +/- 0-500 or so kilometres.

Please find below the revised excel calculator as well as some more illustrations, this time for sedans. The break-even for sedans it seems is even lower.
Attached Thumbnails
Petrol versus Diesel Cars-sedanpord.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx P or D Calculator.xlsx (12.6 KB, 1758 views)
jessie007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 08:39   #20
BHPian

Nice work.

I was thinking of going in for Micra Diesel.Because of the following news will have to rework the economics.

Downgrade sword hangs, diesel prices may rise Rs 5/l
One-time hike after Prez poll may be followed by deregulation road map

Link:

Cheers.
Old 12th July 2012, 13:06   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
Nice work.

I was thinking of going in for Micra Diesel.Because of the following news will have to rework the economics.

One-time hike after Prez poll may be followed by deregulation road map

Link:

Cheers.
Considering the current political scenario, diesel prices can be raised by a maximum of around Rs.3 per litre and within a few hours rolled back by Re.1 under political pressure. So a max hike of around Rs.2 can be expected. This is my personal take. Only the break-even period will increase by a few thousand kilometres, but diesel variant will still remain an economical choice, considering CNG prices have also recently been raised.
Old 13th July 2012, 17:09   #22
BHPian

jessie007,

The cell for breakeven seems broken. I dont see a formula is the cell assigned to it. Could you please check?

Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 19:09   #23
BHPian

Dear wannabelean, the Breakeven cell is not broken. One has to arrive at the break-even by the following method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post

The break-even, as I mentioned in my original post, is calculated by entering about 3-5 entries in the Distance cell (C8) to arrive at an overall difference (cell C20) in the range of +/- 0-500 or so kilometres.
Old 14th July 2012, 19:27   #24
BHPian

Wow... More than the analysis I am surprised by the price difference between a Petrol and Diesel Car. 127K on lowest side and 266K on the higher side. Although I am not sure if the higher discounts on petrol models have been accounted for, if not the Actual Transaction price of a Gasoline and Diesel would be even more than these figures.
Old 15th July 2012, 08:29   #25
BANNED

Nice Study on Petrol vs Diesel! I would like to add that My family's average monthly running does not exceed 700Kms. So Petrol still makes tremendous sense for me.
We are looking to buy a compact SUV. But Sadly Cars like the Yeti or the Duster don't have a half decent Petrol Variant. Now I am compelled to buy a Diesel Car
(for which i have to pay more than a petrol)
In an Ideal World I would buy a TSI Yeti!!
Old 15th July 2012, 22:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

Awesome work, net-net it tells me that it makes more sense to pick up a diesel car over a petrol one
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:00   #27
BHPian

I developed a similar calculation to compare the i20 Asta Petrol and Diesel variants before coming to this thread.

Conclusion: As noted in the Zigwheels article, you need to at least 20,000 Km per year to gain any financial benefit from buying a diesel car. For typical running of 12,000 - 15,000 it doesnt make financial sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Petrol versus Diesel Cars-i20-asta-diesel-vs-petrol.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2012, 15:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

I bought a Santro based on the running per month. I, who was a diesel car user since 1997, turned to petrol now when diesel engines are quite excellent because of the low running of car. I reckoned if one travels less than 2K kms per month, one need not go for diesel.

It did help that Santro was factory-fitted with LPG kit which gives about 14 - 14.5 kmpl of LPG.
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:22   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
I developed a similar calculation to compare the i20 Asta Petrol and Diesel variants before coming to this thread.

Conclusion: As noted in the Zigwheels article, you need to at least 20,000 Km per year to gain any financial benefit from buying a diesel car. For typical running of 12,000 - 15,000 it doesnt make financial sense.
interesting calculation. following is what i would like to see added to this financial model:
  1. different FE figures: average FE of 15 for a petrol i20 sounds difficult to achieve given i10 gives 12/13 at max in city. how does the overall calculation change if the petrol FE is assumed at 12 or 13? however, for diesel, most people will actually get 15-17 in city driving and 20 on highway with i20, you may want to tweak that in the sheet.
  2. resale value: assuming, at the end of four years, the car would be sold off, there would be a significant difference between the resale of petrol vs. diesel which IMHO shall take care of the difference in initial investment.

Last edited by infotech58 : 3rd August 2012 at 15:24.
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58
[*]average FE of 15 for a petrol car is difficult to achieve for most. mostly it remains on this side of 15, how does the calculation change if the petrol FE is assumed at 12 or 13? however, for diesel, most people will actually get 16-17 in city driving and 20 on highway, you may try increasing that number by 1 or 2 in the sheet.[*]assuming, at the end of four years, the car would be sold off, there would be a significant difference between the resale of petrol vs. diesel which IMHO shall take care of the difference in initial investment.
Agree to both points. And they are quite significant in terms of tilting the buying decision this way or that way. I don't think i20 would give more than 12kmpl in petrol and 16kmpl in diesel in city driving conditions. Instead of 20,000 km per year for breaking even, I would put this number between 14-16000 kms, depending upon the initial price difference and the average petrol vs diesel mileage of the cars.

Most Viewed