Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2017, 20:33   #421
BHPian

Re: Petrol versus Diesel Cars

I own a Figo Diesel, currently at 96K. When I brought it Petrol vs Diesel was about 75K - 100K in market. Swift, Figo, Tata Indigo etc. For Figo Petrol vs Diesel Titanium version. Running cost per Km had about ~2.5 to 3 rupees less for D. So my break even point was approx 33,000 kms which I did in about 18 months. Rest all is saving s. I feel Diesel is hands down, no brainer cheaper in India.

Before this I had 800. Netnet I say when I drive for full month I need 2 tank full and P vs D difference is evident. Literally laughing all the way to bank.

Mod Note : Please avoid typing like.... this.....
Acronyms also help when they are far more generic and well accepted.

Last edited by ampere : 6th February 2017 at 07:35.
ownerofazkaban is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th February 2017, 20:50   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Please refrain from making claims without any maths behind it. The current difference in both the fuels stands at almost Rs. 12.2.
I have prices for Ciaz hence considering it as an example.

Here is a rough note of prices of Ciaz top model in Mumbai. These prices are a month old (before rto hiked the registration rates). On road prices. Mileage is ARAI. Petrol rates are today's. Kms considered is 1,00,000.

Petrol versus Diesel Cars-img_4363.jpg

Price difference at time of buying is Rs Rs. 151072. Fuel price extra paid for petrol is Rs. 142627. I've not considered differences in servicing costs or the extra interest generated over 5 years. Also the difference in petrol and diesels is shrinking.

Kindly correct me if my maths is wrong.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th February 2017 at 08:27. Reason: On request
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 11:06   #423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I have prices for Ciaz hence considering it as an example.

Kindly correct me if my maths is wrong.
The official price list on MSIL website states the price of Ciaz as follows:

1. ZDI+ = 956690
2. ZXI+ = 935789
( prices are for manual variants, ex-showroom Delhi).

So thats a difference of mere 20000 Rs. Or am I missing something here?
Old 6th February 2017, 11:16   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The official price list on MSIL website states the price of Ciaz as follows:

1. ZDI+ = 956690
2. ZXI+ = 935789
( prices are for manual variants, ex-showroom Delhi).

So thats a difference of mere 20000 Rs. Or am I missing something here?
Blackswasp has quoted prices of Mumbai, as mentioned by him.
And you have quoted prices of Delhi.
Delhi gets some subsidy for the SHVS variants. Hence the less difference.
Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 13:57   #425
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Get a used Fiesta S or a used Linea TJet or get a Punto and diesel and remap it. :P
While I'd love to, not everyone is comfortable with a used car.

Also, performance petrols (esp. the 1.6S) are really difficult to find used. New ones sold in limited numbers, and nobody worth their sniff of petrol is willing to sell theirs!

A City may be the best compromise, some tasty deals expected on outgoing model stock soon.
Old 6th February 2017, 14:02   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjubaba View Post
Congratulations on the i20 D. Its definitely one of the best out there among hatches.

In your calculation diesel i20 has a 50k edge in resale value over petrol counterpart after 7 years period which looks understandable by current market standards. But going by the current NGT drama around diesels and almost obvious further stringent laws around diesel engines, don't you think this will get hampered? I mean resale value also depends on market sentiments isn't it?

Reason I ask this is, I have a running of 1400-1600kms(borderline case) and hence trying to understand the rationale behind decisions made by folks while choosing a petrol/diesel. Would be helpful(for planning my next upgrade) if you could share your view/s.

Last edited by SoumenD : 6th February 2017 at 14:04.
Old 7th February 2017, 15:35   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Congratulations on the i20 D. Its definitely one of the best out there among hatches.

In your calculation diesel i20 has a 50k edge in resale value over petrol counterpart after 7 years period which looks understandable by current market standards. But going by the current NGT drama around diesels and almost obvious further stringent laws around diesel engines, don't you think this will get hampered? I mean resale value also depends on market sentiments isn't it?

Reason I ask this is, I have a running of 1400-1600kms(borderline case) and hence trying to understand the rationale behind decisions made by folks while choosing a petrol/diesel. Would be helpful(for planning my next upgrade) if you could share your view/s.

I have not considered any future possibilities because you can not predict it. I think there are different interests and lobbies that work together to make sure that some drastic steps are not taken.

Even on personal front, it might happen that I change my job or city and then I may have to use car more or may be less, there are so many variables that it is difficult to consider each and every thing. So I use only current prices and policies.

I have couple of friends who bought petrol cars and now their use has increased 2-3 folds so now they repent on their decision. Also I have one friend who bought i20 D when it was launched and by now ( I think 2.5 years) he has only used for 9000 km.

That's what I can say..

Last edited by sanjubaba : 7th February 2017 at 15:36.
sanjubaba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2017, 17:58   #428
BHPian

Hi folks,

I am in US here and thinking of buying a Land Rover Discovery (Great car - make sure you drive it when it is released in India

However, I am a little unsure about the engine to get. Here are the two options:

3.0 Liter LR-V6 Supercharged (Petrol)

Power: 340HP
Torque: 332lb-ft
Maximum Speed mph: 130
Acceleration 0-60 mph in 6.9 sec
MILEAGE - 16 miles/gallon in city, 21 on highway

3.0 Liter LR-TD6 Diesel

Power: 254HP
Torque: 443lb-ft
Maximum Speed mph: 130
Acceleration 0-60 mph in 7.7 sec

MILEAGE - 21 miles/gallon in city, 16 on highway

I have driven the petrol and it was absolutely amazing, but I have heard diesel drives fine too.

The diesel engine is $2,000 more than petrol. The fuel cost difference is negligible (sometimes diesel is expensive than petrol)

With all that in mind, what would you guys recommend I go for - Petrol or Diesel?
Old 17th September 2017, 18:10   #429
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvoyeur View Post
Hi folks,

I am in US here and thinking of buying a Land Rover Discovery (Great car - make sure you drive it when it is released in India

However, I am a little unsure about the engine to get. Here are the two options:
Do you do a lot of towing? That could be the only cause to go for the diesel in your scenario thanks to the extra torque. If no, then go for the petrol hands down. It has better performance too.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2017, 18:32   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Do you do a lot of towing? That could be the only cause to go for the diesel in your scenario thanks to the extra torque. If no, then go for the petrol hands down. It has better performance too.
I do not do a lot of towing. And interestingly enough, petrol engine has a higher tow rating of ~8,000 lbs.

I did not understand what higher torque on diesel really means
Old 17th September 2017, 19:19   #431
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have driven the petrol and it was absolutely amazing, but I have heard diesel drives fine too.
Yes, it does not feel like a Diesel at all, I drove last month in Calgary. It's very quiet and accelerates fast. It's a very tall and large vehicle but I didn't like the size of the steering wheel, its too thin and rear shape is more rounded, could have been better. Given the size and weight, Diesel should be more economical to run, not sure on resale value though. If you don't need 7 seats, there are some other options like upcoming 2018 Cayenne or even RR Sports which I feel looks better.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2017, 20:09   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Yes, it does not feel like a Diesel at all, I drove last month in Calgary. It's very quiet and accelerates fast. It's a very tall and large vehicle but I didn't like the size of the steering wheel, its too thin and rear shape is more rounded, could have been better. Given the size and weight, Diesel should be more economical to run, not sure on resale value though. If you don't need 7 seats, there are some other options like upcoming 2018 Cayenne or even RR Sports which I feel looks better.
Actually, I do need the 7 seats or at least a very practical second row of seats (which I feel lacked in every 5 seater that I saw including Q5, Lexus RX 350, 2018 RR Velar, Discovery Sport and GLC)

Which is why I also looked at the Audi Q7 and Volvo XC 90 for that optional 3rd row-

- Volvo XC 90 is the most well priced but the interiors, drivability, cabin noise, second row comfort are a touch below the other two. Plus the engine is only 2.0L which drives alright but only in performance mode

- Audi Q7 - I really like the way it drives - better than discovery. The third row on Q7 is not as good as discovery though. The second row is fine but not as spacious as Discovery. The hump in the Audi is also very inconvenient for middle passenger in second row.

The other thing I need is good snow driving capability given my winter commute of ~80 miles a day will involve driving in snow invariably. I have heard both Q7 Quattro and Land Rover traction are good but I felt safer in Discovery
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:21   #433
Distinguished - BHPian

The market share of diesel cars has dipped further - 23% in 2017-18.

Quote:
According to numbers accessed by TOI, the share of diesel in car sales (hatchbacks and sedans, excluding SUVs) has fallen to 23%, coming down from a high of nearly 50% in 2012-13. The trend is only going to get stronger, say company executives who are now preparing for a life beyond diesel as the government pushes for cleaner technologies where the current focus is on electric drivetrains.

The only challenge to the trend, however, remains the rising share of SUVs in the country. Diesel is traditionally the preferred choice in SUVs, though the mindset towards petrol is also finding some strength here. Take for example the Creta SUV where more than 30% of sales are coming from petrol version.
Petrol versus Diesel Cars-1image.jpg

TOI
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 13:12   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not do a lot of towing. And interestingly enough, petrol engine has a higher tow rating of ~8,000 lbs.

I did not understand what higher torque on diesel really means
I agree. The kind of huge V8 petrol engines they use in US, you won't miss diesel torque. Here in India, story is opposite. Most petrol engines are tiny puny wimps with more focus on fuel economy rather than performance.
Old 3rd January 2018, 13:59   #435
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I did not understand what higher torque on diesel really mean
That is quite surprising. Given the significantly higher Torque the Diesel should be able to move more load of the line. But that may not be the limiting factor for a load being pulled over a longer distance and hence the Petrol may have a higher rating. Possibly the tow ratings are about the steady speed pulling abilities and the higher BHP would come into play for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Yes, it does not feel like a Diesel at all, I didn't like the rear shape is more rounded.
I actually liked the LR5 rounded rear more than the LR4 squared off look.

Though the LR5 is very spacious I felt the middle row seats in the 7 seater configuration have very little under thigh support. They are too small and short to enable better folding. Was given to understand that the 5 seater version has better middle row seats. But given that carvoyers requirement is for a 7 seater vehicle only, somehow the Q7 feels a better bet considering the seat base not the space though. The Discovery though very spacious does not have great seats beyond the front row, it's more about the ease of power folding all the remaining 5 seats to a flat bed.

Last edited by ACM : 3rd January 2018 at 14:01.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks