Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2018, 14:48   #436

Re: Petrol versus Diesel Cars

Dear Friends,
I have shortlisted the new Maruti Dzire as my new ride. I had never imagined that after turning 40, convenience will be a priority for me over spirited driving ! But alas, it is exactly that now ! So an Automatic (read AMT in case of Dzire) is a must. I need the experts' help in deciding if it going to be ZDI+ or ZXI+. Now I know this has been discussed extensively everywhere, but I have attached my specific use case below and need your inputs to decide if I am right here or missing something. Thanks a lot in advance Mates.

At my usage of 25k kms per year, I will be covering 1 lac kms in 4 yrs, where at that odo I will prefer to sell the car and get a new one. As you can see in the excel calculations, I will break even right at the end of 4 yrs. So obviously there is no advantage in the running cost at the end of 4 years. Further taking into consideration the resale value, I think I will get about Rs.50k more for a Diesel variant over the Petrol, whereas I will pay 1.38 lacs more when I buy it.

So my question is, do my figures look OK? Can I get Rs.50K more for the diesel variant at resale? or more? or less ?? Will it be easier to sell off a DIESEL or PETROL Maruti Dzire 4 years from now ?

Factoring in the Rs.50K at resale, my total cost of ownership at the end of 4 years for PETROL is 6.03 lacs and for DIESEL is 6.57 lacs. To utilise the benefit of the running cost that I am saving at Rs.34.5K per year, I have to use the car for further 1.5 years to recover the Rs.54K I am losing at resale for the DIESEL VARIANT. So more correctly, I have to keep the DIESEL car for a period of 5.5 years just to break even.

All the above calculations are based on current PETROL/DIESEL price difference. If that changes and the price gap becomes lesser, obviously it will take more time to break even. Should I even consider a Diesel, cost wise that is ? Or am I missing something ? Kindly advice since I have to give a go-ahead to the Sales Consultant for my choice of ZXI / ZDI.
Attached Thumbnails
Petrol versus Diesel Cars-dzire-petrol.vs.diesel.jpg  

Old 11th February 2018, 16:23   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh30 View Post
So my question is, do my figures look OK? Can I get Rs.50K more for the diesel variant at resale? or more? or less ?? Will it be easier to sell off a DIESEL or PETROL Maruti Dzire 4 years from now ?
The gap between Diesel and Petrol in Bangalore today is Rs.9.25/-, so you would need to factor that as well into your calculations that the gap between the two may potentially reduce over the next 4 years.

You have not provided details of your driving pattern in terms of City Vs Highway driving. If the driving is city limits with lots of traffic, the mileage returned by a Petrol AMT would further nose dive as compared to a Diesel AMT.

I think a Diesel car would need to be kept for a much longer duration to break even in today's environment - something like 8 years would provide an assured break even. Purely from the calculation perspective it possibly will not make sense to buy the diesel. And then there is the uncertainty of BS VI kicking in at Apr 2020 and bringing in BS VI fuels with low sulphur etc which may not be conducive to the older Diesel Engines. But if you love the torquey nature of diesels then just go for it and leave the calculations aside
vsrivatsa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2018, 18:18   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
deciding if it going to be ZDI+ or ZXI+.
AMTs apparently perform far better with higher torque engines, so that's another factor to consider. Your annual running puts you in the diesel category and since this will be a practical purchase rather than emotional, I am going to suggest the diesel.

Note that I am not an expert, and I personally own and prefer petrols. Therefore you can take this as an unbiased opinion of a fellow enthusiast
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2018, 19:11   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

These days there is absolutely no stability in the fields of regulatory, judicial or pricing related to cars and fuels.

I suggest you test drive both extensively, read every review and go for the one which 'feels' best. Life is too short!
itwasntme is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2018, 19:32   #440
Senior - BHPian

I guess there are few who choose between a diesel and petrol just by the power and torque than anything else.
When there is a confusion in other areas, I feel that's the best way to decide.
That's what I did and chose the Aspire Tdci over the petrol version although I enjoy driving petrol cars more.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2018, 20:05   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
These days there is absolutely no stability in the fields of regulatory, judicial or pricing related to cars and fuels.

I suggest you test drive both extensively, read every review and go for the one which 'feels' best. Life is too short!
Completely agree to this.

We're nearing an inflection point with respect to vehicles and therefore I feel it's very tough to predict the fuel of choice (and hence, possibly the resale value) over the next 4-6 years considering the number of variables involved right now like -
  • EVs getting better and cheaper
  • EVs possibly getting tax breaks
  • GST on petroleum
  • Diesel bashing for emissions
  • BS-VI norms (and the additional cost involved in controlling emissions)

among other things.

Go in for what you 'feel' the best, in terms of power/torque, NVH, FE, in your order of priorities.
arun687 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 17:57   #442
BHPian

@Ashutosh30
You have taken ARAI mileage for the sake for consistency - which is fine. But a point to note is that in real life city driving conditions, while a petrol vehicle will give only about 65% of ARAI mileage, a diesel vehicle will give close to 80%. Though this is a fairly variable figure.

Last edited by jessie007 : 12th April 2018 at 18:06. Reason: empty Quotation not showing. Did not want to quote complete post
jessie007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 08:32   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
@Ashutosh30
You have taken ARAI mileage for the sake for consistency - which is fine. But a point to note is that in real life city driving conditions, while a petrol vehicle will give only about 65% of ARAI mileage, a diesel vehicle will give close to 80%. Though this is a fairly variable figure.
Even then it looks like Petrol makes financially better option. In Bangalore as of today the price difference between Petrol and Diesel is around 8 Rs. It's getting closer and closer as we go.
Old 11th June 2018, 12:24   #444
BHPian

Hi!

I am in process of buying Tata Tigor.
But I am stuck in age old dilemma of Petrol Vs Diesel
Tigor XZ (O) PETROL is cheaper by around 60 K, after discounts, when compared to Tigor XZ Diesel.

I will lose out of auto AC, Touch screen and reverse camera in XZ diesel but will ensure lower running costs esp. Rs/KM.

My avg monthly running would be around 800 - 850 KM!

Help please.
Old 11th June 2018, 12:42   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I know this has been discussed extensively everywhere, but I have attached my specific use case below and need your inputs to decide if I am right here or missing something.
You are spot on with the break even period. The breakeven has remained more or less at the 1 lakh km or 4 years mark since sometime now despite the increase in fuel prices. One more factor you should consider is the increased mileage due to the better car (I am assuming you are upgrading from one), cheaper fuel etc.

Let me tell you what happened in my case. My old Punto 1.2 dad less than 40k kms in 7 years. The Abarth has done 41k kms in 2 years. had I known that my usage would skyrocket so much, I would have stuck to a diesel car. And this is despite using mostly public transport, uber, etc. for local trips.

Also, if you plan to use the car for just 4 years, and have a rough idea of how many kms you are doing, why not lease the car from Maruti itself? They have the N2N leasing service as well. Do take a look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
My avg monthly running would be around 800 - 850 KM!
The petrol is the better choice here. Your running is too less to warrant a diesel. Save the money and go for the higher variant of the petrol version.

Last edited by blackwasp : 11th June 2018 at 12:43.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 13:25   #446
BHPian

I have booked the Freestyle Titanium Plus Petrol . But my heart is forcing me to cancel the petrol and go for diesel as it is one of the best in its segment just for the power and torque it provides .Even the official review says to buy the Diesel MT eyes closed.Price is not a factor as I intend to keep the car for ten years. I stay abroad and visit home once in six months and my usage would be very low. There is no other person at home who drives , so the car will be used occasionally once a week or so.
Guys please advice if this will effect the car or its engine and parts and what can I do to keep it in good condition. I can buy the Petrol but will always miss the Diesel driving dynamics.
Old 14th September 2018, 14:11   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaseer View Post
I have booked the Freestyle Titanium Plus Petrol . But my heart is forcing me to cancel the petrol and go for diesel as it is one of the best in its segment just for the power and torque it provides .E
Technically Petrol vehicles are very simple in comparison to Diesel. Petrol vehicles require very less maintenance, more so when they are not used for long durations. Diesel engines need to be run periodically and for longer durations to be in pink of health.
You have mentioned ten years as the duration of ownership, so resale does not matter. But diesels in spite of the technological advancement would hurt your purse after 5-6 years, irrespective of usage. My suggestion is stick to petrols for your requirement.
aadya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 15:10   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Technically Petrol vehicles are very simple in comparison to Diesel. Petrol vehicles require very less maintenance, more so when they are not used for long durations.
Petrol engines are just as complicated as their diesel counterparts these days. With MPFI engines replacing the carburetors and some modern engines even sporting turbo chargers, petrol engines are on the same level as far as complexity goes.

Quote:
Diesel engines need to be run periodically and for longer durations to be in pink of health.
Not so.
There is one caveat with petrol cars: if you plan on to leave the car idle for a long period, fill your tank or you run the risk of rust settling down in the tank and blocking your fuel delivery system. Diesel on the other hand is a thicker oil like fuel and has lesser rust issue in the tank.
Prowler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 06:22   #449
BHPian

True, but have factors like higher resale value for particular variants/ fuels been considered?
For example, the Swift diesel commands a higher resale value than the petrol. The VDi variants in particular is very popular. Same goes for European diesels.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:37   #450
BANNED

Quote:
Dear Friends,
I have shortlisted the new Maruti Dzire as my new ride.
What have you finalised in the end? A petrol or a diesel?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks