Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2013, 22:05   #61
BHPian

re: Petrol versus Diesel Cars

Even the LPG variant may be considered.
I am currently using i10 LPG and the saving is not that bad although not as good as CNG

LPG even gives some luggage space , power output is fair enough.

At current fuel prices (LPG :- 48 Rs per KG and petrol - 74 Rs per lit) i save approx 1.5 re per km in LPG mode.

However availability may be a problem as LPG fuel station network is not that great.

One important point here is petrol is adulterated in India as we all know ,but LPG cant be adulterated. May be thats why i find the engine response better while driving in LPG mode as compared to the response in petrol mode.

also i think buying i10 /ritz automatic and then converting it to CNG is an option worth considering. Super driving comfort with low running cost!
Old 4th February 2013, 00:40   #62
BHPian

Here are the latest fuel prices applicable in Goa.
Petrol Rs. 54.75 per liter
Diesel Rs. 50.30 per liter

The price Difference between the both the fuel is Rs.4.45/- per liter and to break even the cost of diesel car, maintenance & taxes the user will needs to drive 4000+ kms per month

In next 12 months Diesel will cost Rs. 60.80/- as per the news (Rise of Rs 10.50/-) which will make diesel fuel costlier then petrol in Goa.
Old 6th February 2013, 22:56   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post
Here are the latest fuel prices applicable in Goa.
Petrol Rs. 54.75 per liter
Diesel Rs. 50.30 per liter

The price Difference between the both the fuel is Rs.4.45/- per liter and to break even the cost of diesel car, maintenance & taxes the user will needs to drive 4000+ kms per month

In next 12 months Diesel will cost Rs. 60.80/- as per the news (Rise of Rs 10.50/-) which will make diesel fuel costlier then petrol in Goa.
I suspect the BJP government in Goa will re-introduce partial or full VAT once diesel prices are on par with petrol prices. After all, the decision to virtually do away with VAT was primarily due to the huge difference in prices between the two fuels in March 2012.

But yes, there is a paltry difference between petrol and diesel at this point in time. Incidentally, I saw an advertisement in one of the local papers offering a big discount for a diesel Ritz, something that would have been virtually impossible not so long ago.
Old 1st May 2013, 15:00   #64
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am in the same dilemma here, petrol or diesel. I would be travelling from Noida to Gurgaon everyday from mid month (roughly 80 kms a day). I would be refilling in Delhi most probably. Now with the petrol prices being slashed and diesel being hiked, is it justifiable to go for a diesel hatch. I was planning on buying a ritz diesel earlier. There should be atleast 80-90k difference between the petrol and diesel ritz variant to variant. Which one should i go for? Please suggest.
Old 1st May 2013, 18:09   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsarmaniac View Post
Hi Guys,
I am in the same dilemma here, petrol or diesel. I would be travelling from Noida to Gurgaon everyday from mid month (roughly 80 kms a day). I would be refilling in Delhi most probably. Now with the petrol prices being slashed and diesel being hiked, is it justifiable to go for a diesel hatch. I was planning on buying a ritz diesel earlier. There should be atleast 80-90k difference between the petrol and diesel ritz variant to variant. Which one should i go for? Please suggest.
I would still suggest to go for diesel based purely on following :
Diesel
Daily run of 80 KMS - DDDIS avg- 15 KMPL- 5.3 liters of Diesel- at current price of 48 bucks costs Rs 260 p/d. Once the subsidy is lifted i.e. approx 9 bucks it should cost around 302 bucks

Petrol
Daily run of 80 KMS - Petrol avg- 15 KMPL(highly unlikely in city) - 5.3 liters of Petrol- at current price of 63 bucks costs Rs 334 p/d. Once the crude starts rising again( winters) then petrol should clock around 68 buks i.e. 360.40.

Given the premium of 80 KT that diesel car charges over petrol and your daily running you should breakeven in 1/1/5 yrs from a number crunching point of view.

Above is going by head, now the story of heart test drive the petrol and diesel variants and see the swish factor for yourself in diesel once the turbo kicks in.
Above are purely personal views .
Cheers
Kartik
Old 1st May 2013, 22:59   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartik.virmani View Post

I would still suggest to go for diesel based purely on following :
Diesel
Daily run of 80 KMS - DDDIS avg- 15 KMPL- 5.3 liters of Diesel- at current price of 48 bucks costs Rs 260 p/d. Once the subsidy is lifted i.e. approx 9 bucks it should cost around 302 bucks

Petrol
Daily run of 80 KMS - Petrol avg- 15 KMPL(highly unlikely in city) - 5.3 liters of Petrol- at current price of 63 bucks costs Rs 334 p/d. Once the crude starts rising again( winters) then petrol should clock around 68 buks i.e. 360.40.

Given the premium of 80 KT that diesel car charges over petrol and your daily running you should breakeven in 1/1/5 yrs from a number crunching point of view.

Above is going by head, now the story of heart test drive the petrol and diesel variants and see the swish factor for yourself in diesel once the turbo kicks in.
Above are purely personal views .
Cheers
Kartik
I have test driven both petrol and diesel already. The heart and mind both say diesel just for the torque. I am also looking at expenses during long drives. The doubt is more due to the rising diesel prices i guess. This is going to be my first car. I have driven mostly petrols till date so the turbo experience is fairly new to me.
Old 2nd May 2013, 10:54   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsarmaniac View Post
I have test driven both petrol and diesel already. The heart and mind both say diesel just for the torque. I am also looking at expenses during long drives. The doubt is more due to the rising diesel prices i guess.
Hello,

As your daily driving distance is approx 80 kms I will definitely suggest to go for a Diesel hatchback car.

Even if entire subsidy is removed from Diesel, its prices will still be approx Rs. 5 to 7 cheaper than Petrol per liter. Also the mileage figures in Diesel cars are atleast 20% more than what you get in Petrol Cars.

Thus paying Rs. 80,000 to Rs. 90,000 more for Diesel car is justified in your case.

Also other than your daily drive of 80 kms, also take into consideration occasional long trips, which will mean further savings if you are driving a Diesel Car.

Thanks,
Old 14th May 2013, 16:52   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Petrol cheaper than diesel in Goa? Yes that is true..

The link:

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/343...el-in-goa.aspx
Old 11th July 2013, 15:23   #69
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This Diesel vs Petrol debate is a long standing one. Assuming the cost differential between a petrol and diesel vehicle is 1.8 lacs and the cost differential in the fuel cost is around Rs 25, just bear in mind that it will take the usage of 7200 litres of diesel to recover the cost of acquisition! Most normal urban dwellers and regular working people tend to do around 1200 to 1500 kms a month in terms of running. Assuming that the vehicle returns a normal average mileage of 15 kmpl, one would probably use around 80 or a 100 litres of Diesel per month. It is a known and proven fact that the Modern Diesel engines are extremely fuel efficient. At this rate at the least estimate, one will have to drive one's car for 72 months or 6 years, in order to recover the cost of acquisition of the Diesel car! If, as is more likely under normal circumstances, one consumes only 80 litres of diesel a month, then one would have to drive the car for 7.5 years or 90 months in order to break even! There is truly a lot to be said for buying a petrol driven car given these above calculations.
Old 10th September 2013, 06:44   #70
BHPian

Re: Petrol versus Diesel Cars

Most of us buy the car on EMI.

I also bought a petrol automatic on EMI, and my EMI is around Rs. 7800 per month.

If I would have bought a diesel with same features such as ABS, and automatic not even available, my EMI would have been around Rs. 11k-12k per month.

Do the math. Even with 2000 kms per month of driving it does not make any difference. For me its about 1400 kms per month of driving in city where emi + cost of fuel at current cost is cheaper for my automatic.

Add the maintenance cost of a diesel and you save more. A diesel service usually costs around Rs. 4k for regular and Rs. 7k for major. Where as for my automatic the major cost was Rs. 3.5k and regular cost is about Rs. 2k. This of course does not include parts changes. There is no clutch to change, and there is no oil change required for transmission till 160k.

And it is more advanced in technology. For mileage calculation my automatic returns 13.5 in city with AC and a diesel under similar condition would probably return around 15.
Old 10th September 2013, 17:32   #71
BHPian

I was subject to the diesel-petrol dilemma a few months ago. I went through the general rough estimations on the forum pages and saw people suggesting diesel a lot because their conclusion was that you'd break even at some point. In a bad case, it'd be 6 years, 3 years if you drive more. Well, I did some calculations of my own, but also factored in a few things that most guys often skip (please note that my decision was between Vxi ABS and Vdi ABS models of Ritz):

1. The diesel commands a premium of 1.3 lakhs over petrol. This is what skews the math in favour of petrol. When the delta is smaller, the general break-even figures that abound in the forum tend to be more or less accurate.

2. If I opt for a petrol and I'm paying upfront, that leaves an extra 1.3 lakhs in my bank account. This money earns interest; compound interest builds up with time and it'll be quite a figure in the course of 5 years (50000+ at 7% interest, actually). According to my spreadsheet, below a certain figure of miles/year, petrol and diesel ownership costs NEVER converge! That means as the years pass by, the diesel car just drinks more and more of your money because of the huge outlay in the beginning. You lost the 1.3 lakhs plus the interest it could have earned over the years, but you don't drive the car enough to claw back enough advantage in fuel savings.

That said, it's hard to argue against the torque. I did end up with a diesel, but financial soundness was not a factor in that decision.
SlowRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 17:55   #72
Senior - BHPian

Big petrol cars are depreciation disaster, so I don't think we have to consider break-even when choosing between a petrol(any car with mileage less than 13-15KMPL) and a diesel car. The initial price difference will be automatically recovered during the resale.

Petrol makes more sense when getting a used one(like in my case) where one will not loose much in resale.
Old 10th September 2013, 18:18   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post

And it is more advanced in technology. For mileage calculation my automatic returns 13.5 in city with AC and a diesel under similar condition would probably return around 15.
Which AT is this that returns 13.5 kmpl in the city with AC? And if your drive route is that free of traffic then diesel will easily return you 20 kmpl or even more.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 18:32   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Which AT is this that returns 13.5 kmpl in the city with AC? And if your drive route is that free of traffic then diesel will easily return you 20 kmpl or even more.
+1 to the above, curious to know which auto is so fuel efficient. Also, considering the huge difference in EMI, close to 5k which was the other car you considered ?
Old 10th September 2013, 20:06   #75
Senior - BHPian

I was also thinking of the same thing, specifically on the Ecosport

The petrol costs 7 lakhs and the diesel 8.5 lakhs

The petrol would be more fun to drive, quiet and easier to maintain in the long run, the diesel would bring a smile to one's face everytime you tank up

The diesel would be the smarter choice on long trips, it would cost less

With the Government policies, diesel rates will go up faster than petrol but will never exceed petrol rates. Even if both the fuels cost the same, diesel will give better mileage

While selling the car, diesel will be easier to sell and get back more capital

On the whole, I'm thoroughly confused.

Most Viewed