Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2012, 22:30   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Brio Sedan to be launched in 2013. EDIT : To be called "AMAZE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
Anyways are any specs of the engine out? Honda are really keeping everything under wraps.
- 1.5L diesel.
- 4-cylinder (possibly christened) i-DTEC.
- 16-valve layout, twin-cam head.
- ~80-90 bhp power, ~200-220 Nm of torque, turbo topping at ~3000 RPM.
- FE estimated to be ~25 kpl.

India-specific specs might be slightly different than the above though.

Just read that the boot space is a whopping 400 liters, with 20 liters of added under-floor storage! Class-leading again, I dare say.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 22:42   #227
BHPian

We might pretty soon see a statement by Maruti saying "We have decided not to make our valued customers wait for eternity and hence have increased dzire production". Competition is good for the customers! Hope Honda have decent production numbers to cater to the demand.
shivasuma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 04:59   #228
MHG
BHPian

If the 80ps 24-25kmpl engine is actually true, I'm sure its in a highly detuned (perhaps FGT ?) form. Imagine what this engine can do in the City - I expect 100 to 110 PS atleast delivering FE of 20+.

PS: To someone who said DZire is not a Sedan but a Notchback, they're the same thing. Sedans are Notchbacks.
Old 20th November 2012, 14:28   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG
If the 80ps 24-25kmpl engine is actually true, I'm sure its in a highly detuned (perhaps FGT ?) form. Imagine what this engine can do in the City - I expect 100 to 110 PS atleast delivering FE of 20+.

PS: To someone who said DZire is not a Sedan but a Notchback, they're the same thing. Sedans are Notchbacks.
The engine is definitely FGT. Also, City will be getting the 1.6L 'original' version of this engine. AFAIK, the 1.5L is a derivative of the 1.6L. Also I believe the 1.6L has an output of 118 bhp.

In Indian market, I guess notchback is a term used for compact / sub 4m "sedans". :-)
Old 20th November 2012, 14:49   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious

In Indian market, I guess notchback is a term used for compact / sub 4m "sedans". :-)
Yep may be but globally that's not the correct definition. A notchback is a body style that combines a hatchback and the boot of a sedan. A defining characteristic of a notchback is the boot release. When open the rear windscreen also goes up with the boot lid. Also you can access the boot from the cabin by folding the rear backrest.

A good example of a notchback is the 1st gen Skoda Octavia. You can identify it with the rear windscreen wiper.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 21:01   #231
Senior - BHPian

Came across few pics from Honda Brio Amaze page on FB.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Brio Sedan to be launched in 2013. EDIT : To be called "AMAZE"-198335_170265899784721_1578081919_n.jpg  

Honda Brio Sedan to be launched in 2013. EDIT : To be called "AMAZE"-302734_170248039786507_1469612054_n.jpg  

karanraheja is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 21:24   #232
Senior - BHPian

Must admit it is rather quite good looking. The boot job is very well done by Honda.

Priced correctly, it potentially can take on Dzire. If only Honda can improve their reach (they still do not have presence in many mid-tier cities like Jhansi for example). thats a big handicap vis-a-vis Suzuki.
Old 21st November 2012, 09:12   #233
BANNED

@joslicx; It may be a hard grind to improve the dealer base. In 1995 I did not buy a City 1300 simply because they had no dealership / service centre in Kanpur. Also, with a massive increase in volume they will have to ensure that the service quality does not suffer. I see that the dealer has a second workshop cum showroom set up. Also, longer service intervals (hope the dealers understand this) will help.

MS are already responding by scaling up production of the Dzire. Long waits may be highly damaging to them.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 11:14   #234
BHPian

Looks like a 3 box car instead of a notchback. It escapes me as to why notchback format is not being adopted for Compact Sedans.

Lets see the side profile to judge the looks.
Old 21st November 2012, 11:57   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I got used to living with the fixed headrests in the Honda City's rear seat.
=========== I was told it is a safety mechanism, to protect the middle passenger from being in the line of a frontal collision. I took his words with a pinch of salt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinfreak View Post
We shouldn't be counting out an aggressive entry variant price for Petrol version
=======
but surely the height of rear seat back, fullness of cushion and placement of headrests should be changed as compared to Brio for Amaze.
http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...t-drive/14818/

Quote:
The door opening angles have
=== so very ergonomically positioned enhancing the comfort and convenience in a huge manner.

Door Opening, Headrests - two things we were apprehensive about in Brio hatch ticked off right in Amaze!
Old 21st November 2012, 12:06   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@joslicx; It may be a hard grind to improve the dealer base. In 1995 I did not buy a City 1300 simply because they had no dealership / service centre in Kanpur. Also, with a massive increase in volume they will have to ensure that the service quality does not suffer. I see that the dealer has a second workshop cum showroom set up. Also, longer service intervals (hope the dealers understand this) will help.
Well Hyundai should be case study for Honda in their expansion efforts. The Korean giant has effortlessly spread across India and have maintained quite good service quality. Its quite remarkable how the Koreans (be it Hyundai or Samsung or LG) have raised their profile in these last few years. Time for Japs to learn a thing or two now perhaps!
Old 21st November 2012, 12:33   #237
Senior - BHPian

Had a chat with a Honda Employee based in India. The current City wont get the new Diesel Mill and infact an all new City is coming to India by Diwali 2013. They will once again launch the new City in India along with other Imp Markets such as Thailand and Malaysia. The New City will carry the same engine although he did not disclose any information on the engine state of tune. Till Diwali, 13 they have enough on their plates in respect to volume growth as their will be a new CRV, Brio Twins in Diesel Avatar and possibly a new Accord to sell.
nik_kapur is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 14:21   #238
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Well Hyundai should be case study for Honda in their expansion efforts. The Korean giant has effortlessly spread across India and have maintained quite good service quality. Its quite remarkable how the Koreans (be it Hyundai or Samsung or LG) have raised their profile in these last few years. Time for Japs to learn a thing or two now perhaps!
I hope they do not learn to fatten the charges by adding all sorts of sprays, trying to sell a decoke (even on cars with <10k) and a flush, etc. My Accent was more expensive to maintain than the Civic is!!
Old 21st November 2012, 17:47   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Came across few pics from Honda Brio Amaze page on FB.
The view from the rear looks very well put together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
The New City will carry the same engine although he did not disclose any information on the engine state of tune
I guess the New City will get a VGT version of this 1.5L Amaze motor, just like SX4 had. But, the petrol will be an all new as well. Read somewhere that Honda unveiled the next gen 1.5L motor with 132hp, along with the Earth-dreams motor at Paris Auto show. Hope that is going o make it to the 4th gen City.

Btw, Here's an ACI report on the i-Dtec motors :
http://www.autocarindia.com/News/323...l-finally.aspx
Old 21st November 2012, 18:05   #240
Senior - BHPian

Amaze and City is to get the 1.3 to 1.5 L class engines. And i guess the power would be <130 for these.

More on the different class under Earth dreams;
  • 660cc class engine
Employs DOHC and VTC (Variable Timing Control) to improve intake efficiency. Bore pitch has been shortened compared to the present engine models and by reducing the thickness of the cylinder block and camshaft, engine weight is reduced by 15%*3 and fuel efficiency is improved by 10%*3.
  • 1.3 to 1.5L class engine
Employs VTC, direct injection technology and the Atkinson cycle using the DOHC, VTEC technologies as the base. Extensive friction reduction measures have been implemented.
  • 1.8 to 2.0L class engine
Employs direct injection technology and the Atkinson cycle using the DOHC, VTEC technologies as the base. Implementation of VTC and high-capacity EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) to both the intake and exhaust ports creates significantly reduced friction. For the 2.0L class hybrid vehicle engines, use of an electric water pump eliminates the need for a belt in the auxiliary device and contributes to a reduction in friction.
  • 2.4L class engine
Based on the DOHC and VTEC technologies, it employs VTC and direct injection technology and implements extensive friction reduction measures. Engine has improved 5%*3 in fuel efficiency and output, and a 10%*3 improvement in maximum torque compared to the previous engine.
  • 3.5L class engine
Employs new valve train mechanisms and direct injection technology in the SOHC, VTEC, VMC systems to improve fuel efficiency by over 10%*3 and 5%*3 of output; relative to the present standalone engine model.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_a...ams_Technology
Closed Thread

Most Viewed