Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2012, 11:47   #1
BHPian

Honda Brio Sedan to be launched in 2013. EDIT : To be called "AMAZE"

Mod Note : GTO's comprehensive Honda Amaze Review is located at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread.

This thread is closed.

Honda Motors planning to launch the sedan variant of its Brio hatchbak in India by 2013. This is to be priced lower than the city and will target first time buyers. They are also planning to launch an MPV based on the Brio platform.

More info here.

Sedan variant of Brio hatchback to be launched in 2013 | CarTrade.com

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2013 at 17:44. Reason: Adding link to review thread
Old 26th June 2012, 12:42   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Honda Brio Sedan to be launched in 2013. EDIT : To be called "AMAZE"

That slant on the bood will JUST not work.
I feel we may have another Indigo on our hands soon.
Plus, wont a boot take away the talking point of the brio, the rear glass?
Old 26th June 2012, 14:09   #3
BHPian

Hmm doesnt look too bad in this PS render posted on IndianCarsBikes

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th June 2012 at 15:22. Reason: Please make sure you include a clickable link to source. Also do upload using our Attachment system only. Thanks.
aditya101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 16:41   #4
Team-BHP Support

Given the rear profile of the Brio, I have serious reservations about how the sedan version will shape up cosmetically.

If Honda does proceed with this, good move! An entry-level Honda sedan will be enticing.
Old 26th June 2012, 17:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
Hmm doesnt look too bad in this PS render posted on IndianCarsBikes
Wel well well...I had some apprehensions about how the boot job would look like especially after seeing some really weird and disproportionate ones on the Indian roads, but this one looks quite good atleast from this angle. Do post if you have pics of the rear end. I am expecting Honda to do a Octavia kind of rear where boot lid is mostly glass. It was quite a looker.
Old 26th June 2012, 17:17   #6
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post

This looks out of sync. Reminds me of Toyota 'out of sync' Echo. I still find Echo quite ugly and Brio wouldn't be better.
Old 26th June 2012, 17:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

@F50, its no beauty queen but I think it still ends up looking better than the Dzire or the gawky Brio hatch itself.

If they can keep in under 4 meters in length, then we have a winner. Great going Honda.
Old 26th June 2012, 17:42   #8
BHPian

Honda will have a winning horse in its stable if they bring out this Sedan plonked with the Diesel engine in the Brio, which at least 2 other threads are talking about. Brio and its supposedly elder brother might (just might!) be turn-tables for Honda and Maruthi (ofcourse, Maruthi being on the loosing end)
Old 26th June 2012, 17:42   #9
BHPian

They are spoiling a very good car. I think the Brio looks sensational. And people say it looks too different and quirky, but I think that is better than looking completely dull. But the sedan just looks bad because the boot almost looks stuck on like it used to in the earlier swift dzire.

But the hatch does't sell, will this?
Old 26th June 2012, 17:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Another Hatch + Boot combination, But still Brio ( hatch ) scores very low on interior space. I managed to get a ride once, the only thing which was coming to my mind was- When the ride will end. I was NOT at all comfortable sitting in the back seat.

I doubt if they'll be able to increase the wheel base as well.

But still, no matter they add a boot to the Brio or plan to make a van style MUV based on Brio, They won't get success until and unless they plonk in a diesel engine in it. With the fuel prices heading north, There are very few buyers, who are opting for a petrol car.

The PS pic looks completely out of place, U-G-L-Y is the word for it. Honda needs to work hard on design front, so that brio-sedan doesn't look out of place.
BTW I remember reading somewhere, Honda is planning a Van style based MUV on brio as well

Cheers,
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 26th June 2012 at 18:02.
Old 26th June 2012, 17:59   #11
BHPian

But why would Honda do this? If I needed a bigger boot, I'd go ahead and buy a Jazz instead. The to be Sedan has to be priced between the Brio and the Jazz. And there isn't too much space in there.
iceman7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 09:45   #12
BHPian

They should bring on CVT on the Brio. There is a clear lack of options in the Automatics in this segment!
Old 27th June 2012, 11:03   #13
BHPian

Looks like this is a dumping ground or maybe even a tesing ground for ugly vehicles.I brio sedan,even if its priced well i wouldn't buy it.Yeah yeah its a honda..a honda diesel,who cares.I aint driving a car that has a front of a small car and the back slapped on like some half hearted job.I hate these new hybrid sedans that emerge from small cars.I know they are practical and excellent value for money.But dont let these car manufactures fool you.
A brio Sedan will look downright ugly.Only if honda does some major mods like increase the bonnet height and merge the rear with the front by added flanks on the sides..then maybe it will do justice.
Lets see another ugly duckling in the making.
Old 27th June 2012, 11:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
But why would Honda do this? If I needed a bigger boot, I'd go ahead and buy a Jazz instead. The to be Sedan has to be priced between the Brio and the Jazz. And there isn't too much space in there.
IMHO this is a good move from Honda. But the key is to bring the car to the market as soon as possible preferably by end of the year or early 2013.

To answer your question, I believe, with a diesel engine plonked, they are trying to compete with the compact sedans segment, viz., Indigo, Dzire, Etios, etc. I believe there is still lot of room in this segment and playing the cards well, they have a winner on hands.

Yes, pricing is the key. They have to price it sensibly between Brio hatch diesel, Jazz and the City.
Old 27th June 2012, 11:56   #15
BANNED

Given our fixation or should I say obsession with saloons, I am not surprised. I am waiting for the Brio AT to be announced to take the plunge (August / September / October) depending on whom you believe. I need to change my Santro AT soon.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed