Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2012, 11:58   #16
RSR
Senior - BHPian

I'm beginning to see a few Brios on the roads of Chennai these days. The car looks modern and stylish but the rear has a love-it-or-hate-it kind of design. Honda have priced the car well, considering that it uses the excellent 1.2l i-Vtec engine. The car would have sold more, had it not been for the insane petrol pricing policy of the government-oil PSU mafia. Glad to learn that Honda are testing a diesel engine for the Brio, it only remains to be seen if they price it well.

The Brio sedan could prove to be a master stroke from Honda, if they integrate the boot well and manage to increase space at the rear. Honda should refrain from overpricing the vehicle as it is sure to measure less than 4m in length and be equipped with the 1.2l i-Vtec/a sub-1.5l diesel and benefit from lower taxes. The diesels and the Brio sedan could help Honda rise up the sales charts, of course only if they offer value-for-money pricing. They can even set the charts on fire if they mate the diesels with an automatic or CVT transmission.
Old 27th June 2012, 11:59   #17
BHPian

re: Honda Brio Sedan to be launched in 2013. EDIT : To be called "AMAZE"

Another Sedan from Honda? There's hardly any gap between Brio City and Jazz price wise!! Dont tell me they are planning to phase out the awesome Jazz to accomodate yet another of their budget cars
Old 27th June 2012, 12:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
IMHO this is a good move from Honda. But the key is to bring the car to the market as soon as possible preferably by end of the year or early 2013.

To answer your question, I believe, with a diesel engine plonked, they are trying to compete with the compact sedans segment, viz., Indigo, Dzire, Etios, etc. I believe there is still lot of room in this segment and playing the cards well, they have a winner on hands.

Yes, pricing is the key. They have to price it sensibly between Brio hatch diesel, Jazz and the City.
Hmm... Yes & No. Last I checked, the top end version of the Brio was retailing for 6.32 lacs (on road Thane). The Brio Sedan (if it comes) will have to be priced, say hypothetically 60-70k higher than the Brio. That takes the price to roughly 7 lacs. The Jazz starts at 7 lacs and the City starts at 8. With such small room, Honda will really need to get this right.

If I were Honda, I'd put all my efforts in getting the Diesel motors here instead.

Think about this for a moment - Honda is the only car manufacturer in India that does not have a diesel offering in any of the market segments. And we all know how fast sales of Petrols are dwindling.
Old 27th June 2012, 14:47   #19
BHPian

Is everyone convinced that the Brio based sedan will look like what other websites have shown? Is the Micra based sedan(Sunny) looking like a Micra? May be Honda will use just the platform and have a different look altogether.
the VTEC guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 17:39   #20
BHPian

For a brand that has been present in India for years, there have been multiple missed opportunities. The lack of a diesel motor in the current market is one of them. The other could be the Jazz price cut and then the waiting periods going up to 5 months.

However, I do feel that Honda is waking up to India in a big way. The Brio is a step in the right direction and the Brio sedan could go the D'zire way and capture a segment where Honda does not have a presence at the moment. It is an eye sore but at least it's a Honda with the mighty V-Tec. Now they just need to price it right to kill competition.
Old 13th October 2012, 09:25   #21
BHPian

Re: *SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT : Now caught on VIDEO!

Brio Saloon teaser image on Honda Thailand website. Something about 1.2 written there
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Brio Sedan to be launched in 2013. EDIT : To be called "AMAZE"-key_honda_firstcar_promo_banner02.jpg  

sarthakgupta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 10:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Hormazd reports that the 1.5 Diesel may be delayed since Honda wants a high level of localisation. Could be late 2013 or early 2014.

Brio Saloon with a longer wheelbase to be launched in Thailand next month.
I heard him saying Brio saloon will be launched soon with a 1.5 Diesel engine. and we should hear about it in another month or so. May be i was not paying much attention. Did he mention 2013 ?
Old 15th October 2012, 11:45   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I heard him saying Brio saloon will be launched soon with a 1.5 Diesel engine. and we should hear about it in another month or so. May be i was not paying much attention. Did he mention 2013 ?
Yes, it is a contradiction, but so it was. Maybe a small number will be assembled for the sedan through imported parts. In any case the D Brio (Hatch) and Jazz are likely to wait till the updates of the model line up. I am combining information from AC and Overdrive shows here.
Old 15th October 2012, 11:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Yes, it is a contradiction, but so it was. Maybe a small number will be assembled for the sedan through imported parts. In any case the D Brio (Hatch) and Jazz are likely to wait till the updates of the model line up. I am combining information from AC and Overdrive shows here.
First i thought it would be petrol Brio sedan followed by the diesel next year. But none have spotted the Brio sedan till now. No scoops anywhere around the world too

Just wondering what Honda will do by diwali.
Old 15th October 2012, 11:53   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
First i thought it would be petrol Brio sedan followed by the diesel next year. But none have spotted the Brio sedan till now. No scoops anywhere around the world too
See sathakgupta's post above. Most likely the Brio saloon. We know it is being launched first in Thailand. They have their hands full with the Brio AT!
Old 15th October 2012, 19:36   #26
BHPian

Some info regarding Brio Sedan:

Quote:
The company recently issued a statement where it describes the features of the car to keep us on the edge of our seats!

Honda Brio sedan features
1. 4 doors
2. 90 horsepower, 1.2-liter, 4-cylinder, 16-valve engine (in short, Brio engine)
3. Spacious and comfortable cabin
4. Rear luggage area can hold up to “two golf bags”
5. Safety devices such as dual front airbags and ABS will be available in all grades
As per Google’s translation service of the document, the vehicle will launch in the fourth quarter of this year

Top Honda India officials have asked IndianAutosBlog.com to expect the Brio sedan’s launch to unfold in the next six months.
Link:http://indianautosblog.com/2012/10/h...ot-1-2l-engine
sarthakgupta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 23:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post

2 golf bags is a bit disappointing since that would be around 220-250 litres only assuming a standard size, the Jazz does 360ish within 4m
Old 15th October 2012, 23:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
2 golf bags is a bit disappointing since that would be around 220-250 litres only assuming a standard size, the Jazz does 360ish within 4m
The Jazz's practicality would remain unchallenged then! And on an other note, the Dezire doesn't offer much in terms of boot space either.
I can see the Brio sedan setting the charts on fire already. Here's why -
>India is mad about Honda - I cant imagine Verna/Vento/Rapid doing numbers the City had managed to, if they were sold with only petrol engines.
>Honda will silence all critics by finally introducing a Diesel, under the hood of this sedan.
>Brio has 3 reasons for not setting the sales charts on fire in our country - Controversial glass hatch styling, dismal boot space, no Diesel. - The sedan addresses all three.

Bring it on Honda, India is waiting to see Diesels from your stable.
PS: Honda just has to price it sensibly and pray to God to keep Tsunami in check at Japan

Last edited by aravind.anand : 15th October 2012 at 23:37.
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 23:36   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
^^ The Jazz does not accommodate my dad's golf-bag without having to fold one part of the rear seat. I think 2 is optimistic. That's Honda City-like boot-space. We're talking at least 400 liters here. But that somehow doesn't seem right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post

Quite optimistic ljust ike the boot-space. Unless we've managed to miss the spy-shots of the test-mule. And I don't think we have. I'm talking about the 4th quarterly launch of the Brio sedan.

There seems to be nothing about it in terms of hard-core evidence, other than press-info and media talk. And a render that I'd seen in a magazine. Let's not even go there. It looks like a slap-on boot. Funnily, they are usually close to the actual designs 95% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Brio has 3 reasons for not setting the sales charts on fire in our country - Controversial glass hatch styling, dismal boot space, no Diesel. - The sedan addresses all three.

Bring it on Honda, India is waiting to see Diesels from your stable.
PS: Honda just has to price it sensibly and pray to God to keep Tsunami in check at Japan
Loved it!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th October 2012 at 23:43.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 01:36   #30
BHPian

I expect this Brio sedan to be sub 4-metre in length to avail the excise duty benefits in India, which indeed will help the Honda to price it competitively here.

On the lighter note, Like hatchback, hope this Brio sedan won't feature complete glass rear bootlid.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks