Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2012, 15:39   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Brio Sedan to be launched in 2013. EDIT : To be called "AMAZE"

It is also clear from the videos that the rear bech does not get proper headrests. It can be excused for a hatchback which is designed to carry one or two people most of the times. But sedans should provide comfort for all occupants for long journeys.

Sad cost-cutting measure.
Old 16th November 2012, 16:50   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
It is also clear from the videos that the rear bech does not get proper headrests. It can be excused for a hatchback which is designed to carry one or two people most of the times. But sedans should provide comfort for all occupants for long journeys.

Even the front seats are same as that of Brio and i hate fixed head rests.
Old 16th November 2012, 20:46   #198
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat View Post
Even the front seats are same as that of Brio and i hate fixed head rests.
According to Honda there is good reason for this. Fixed headrests save about more than a couple of inches in the seat back thickness - more legroom.
Old 16th November 2012, 21:25   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
According to Honda there is good reason for this. Fixed headrests save about more than a couple of inches in the seat back thickness - more legroom.
But that cant be a justifiable excuse for having them. I hated them in my i10.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2012, 08:43   #200
BHPian

^^ If that's the case i would recommend Honda to use the same in there other products like Honda City, Honda Accord, CRV for getting more legroom . Why only on Brio and Amaze?
Old 17th November 2012, 08:54   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat View Post
^^ If that's the case i would recommend Honda to use the same in there other products like Honda City, Honda Accord, CRV for getting more legroom . Why only on Brio and Amaze?
Three things to be noted here -
1. Its only the Brio and Amaze which are built on the smallest platform and live on the smallest wheelbase, and thus need such desperate measures to increase legroom.
2. Even the City doesn't get adjustable headrests at the rear, have to check with Civic yet. Accord had them, the last time I checked.
3. All that legroom stories are well, just marketing gimmicks to make customers feel better. Cost cutting is the underlying fact here
Old 17th November 2012, 10:35   #202
BHPian

It is really a good news that finally Honda is coming out with a diesel mill in India, albeit a bit late.

The pricing, well, seems to be typically Honda-esque. However, that said, while the engine might be a gem, what bothers me are the 'other' aspects.
GC and Suspension.

The present City scrapes almost all humps in our city and the soft suspension ensures that too. A diesel mill will be heavier than a comparative petrol mill + the weight of the TC. It will be interesting to see how the Amaze fares on the pothole strewn roads of India.
Old 17th November 2012, 10:40   #203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post

True.

When I test drove the Brio AT - hated the small headrests are the rear. In fact, forget calling it a headrest - it doesn't even serve the original purpose of being a neck restraint (Too short, it was not coming properly to my neck level as well).

Thats not only a compromise on comfort, but on safety as well.

I wonder if the rear seat is any better in terms of headroom. I found that lacking in the hatch, and i fear the sedan may compromise it even more in the name of a sloping roofline!
Old 17th November 2012, 10:44   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040
....The present City scrapes almost all humps in our city and the soft suspension ensures that too. A diesel mill will be heavier than a comparative petrol mill + the weight of the TC. It will be interesting to see how the Amaze fares on the pothole strewn roads of India.
As far as I know, the 2012 (?) City came with harder springs to reduce sagging & vertical movement on speed breakers / pot holes etc, thereby reducing the scrapes.

As for the diesel engine weight, Honda's 1.5L is said to be an alumnium block which is going to be light. Also the diesel variants usually get beefier suspension to handle the etc weight, across manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR
...Thats not only a compromise on comfort, but on safety as well...
When I took the TD for i10 long time back & raised concern about the fixed head rest, I was told that's a safety feature. Honda guys seem better on that front!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th November 2012 at 10:49.
Old 17th November 2012, 11:57   #205
Senior - BHPian

I got used to living with the fixed headrests in the Honda City's rear seat. Don't think Brio should be any different. I hate the adjustable headrests like the Innova. If not fully stretched, they will press against your back, giving you a very very uncomfortable ride.

I am aware that any headrest is designed to prevent the head from jerking back and breaking the neck in a collision. I think it does not make a difference if its fixed or adjustable as far as safety is concerned.

OT: When I went for TDing the Rapid and asked about the huge transmission tunnel in the middle last seat, I was told it is a safety mechanism, to protect the middle passenger from being in the line of a frontal collision. I took his words with a pinch of salt.

Last edited by hrman : 17th November 2012 at 11:58.
Old 18th November 2012, 21:44   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
June 2013 is the timeline for the petrol engine? When is the diesel engine amaze slated to be launched?
A planned simultaneous launch is on the tentative cards.

Difference between petrol/diesel variants planned to be around 1.25L.

Don't be surprised if Jazz is quietly taken off the shelves shortly afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
As per an article in ToI Honda have targeted Rs.7 Lacs as the price for the diesel Amaze (against Dzire's Rs.5.99 Lacs), that will be launched in late 2013.

Although they will try best to localize components cost to keep the price down, it is still on the higher side IMO. Lets hope better sense prevails, & they do not do the Jazz again.
Take it with a pinch of salt. The pricing hasn't been finalised yet. Localisation is still in progress.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 00:13   #207
BHPian

We shouldn't be counting out an aggressive entry variant price for Petrol version - that is after all Honda's forte and localized enough. Only time / final diesel engine specs will tell how much premium is justified for Amaze diesel (word is that it's a rocket, a Cruze in the entry sedan segment).

And ^hrman, I agree City's rear headrests are enough, even if fixed/integrated. But I felt brio's are terrible, more of neckrests or shoulder rests :-P. For the sedan, I doubt if adjustable headrests will be provided since even a segment above City doesn't have it, but surely the height of rear seat back, fullness of cushion and placement of headrests should be changed as compared to Brio for Amaze.
Old 19th November 2012, 01:53   #208
BHPian

Just read from Car and Bike Show page on facebook that SVP is going to test-drive the Amaze tomorrow. By the way, here is his twitter update that he made today :

Quote:
@sidpatankar Off to Japan tonight to test the upcoming Honda Amaze sedan. What wud u have me focus on: Diesel engine, Bootspace, Handling or Looks? SVP
Cant wait for his updates about the car.

Last edited by akhil_rpmlover : 19th November 2012 at 01:58.
Old 19th November 2012, 09:35   #209
BHPian

Thought of sharing SVP's first impressions here, from his twitter handle:

Quote:
Can't tweet pics of Honda Amaze as we r under pictorial embargo!!! Pics on Friday folks & first impression review on CNB this weekend. SVP
Quote:
Honda Amaze steering quality appears superior. Precise & taut. But need to spend more time with the car. This is just 1st impression! SVP
Quote:
1.5 i-DTEC has nice flat torque curve, starts delivering at about 1200 rpm & picks up well. Potential for larger models too. SVP
Quote:
Engine bit noisy, 5 speed gearbox well mated. No need for freq gear changes. Good city driving character. SVP
Quote:
Driveability, handling as expected from Honda. Smart & crisp. Car feels a but light, but grips well. SVP
Quote:
Honda Amaze offers just outstanding interior space. How did they do that! Esp rear legroom and knee room. Dzire beware!! SVP
Quote:
Honda Amaze offers a new all aluminum i-DTEC engine. 1.5 litre displacement. No other specs shared a yet. SVP
So, it is absolutely spacious and offers good drivability and handling as well. I guess these alone make it a tough competitor against Dzire. Anyways, hats off to Honda for not messing it up and overall package seems much better than any hatch-with-a-boot.

Cant wait for this week's Car and Bike Show for the initial impressions.

Last edited by akhil_rpmlover : 19th November 2012 at 09:39.
akhil_rpmlover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 09:40   #210
BHPian

Extracts from article in the thhindubusinessline: It seems everyone was given a sneek preview and a test drive of the car

Article: http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle4110659.ece

The Hindu Business Line was given a sneak peek and a first-hand initial driving experience at Honda's test track in the Twin Ring Motegi, the Japanese auto major's research centre 160 kms outside of Tokyo, Japan.

To take advantage of the excise norms, the Amaze will be less than four-metres long and sport a diesel engine that is just shy of the stipulated 1.5-litre size. The sedan's dimensions will be a total length of 3,990 mm, total width of 1,680mm, a wheelbase of 2,405 mm and a total height of 1,500 mm. The wheelbase has been increased by about 60 mm over the Brio hatch and that has made a world of difference to the amount of space offered inside the car.

We expect the price of the new Amaze to be in the range of Rs 5.4 lakh to Rs 8 lakh depending on the variant and choice of engine.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks