Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:43   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: June 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Superb analysis and the most awaited monthly thread again! A few points from observation-

1. MS holds the top four sales in volume. Impressive figures of Dzire and Swift. Ertiga should be in the same league.

2. Confusing trend for Honda comparing to the May sales figures.

3. Good for the VW group with combined Rapid + Vento doing good numbers.

4. For Hyundai, its the Verna and I20 doing the job.

5. M&M seems to have a flat sales compared to the May sales.

It would be more interesting in the coming months, to see the impact of petrol prices to the auto sales.

Cheers!
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Honda's sales figures are really shocking. All the 3 of their prime selling products are amonst the top 4 losers of June. Hope they bounce back good.

Come rain or sun, Maruti and Hyundai has the regular sales numbers. Good going for the company.
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

@GTO, Parrys

As usual great writeup to the most awaited thread of the month. Superbs graphics too.

The recent petrol price hikes has hit the car manufacturers where it hurts the most. Looks like it will take some time for them to recover from the hit. Till that time I guess the Diesel mills will making the most profit.

Whats the buzz with Cruze? Is it the new engine which doubled the sales?
Also the Dzire in top losers - is this the old Dzires?

Last edited by GTO : 3rd July 2012 at 15:47. Reason: It's Parrys, not Jalsa
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:48   #19
BHPian

Brilliant review as usual GTO. The market is really suffering. All manufacturers are seeing tough times ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Thanks GTO for sharing the stats with us.

Looks like the Rs. 7.50 petrol hike has severely dented Honda's sales figures especially the Honda Brio/City!

Just look at Brio sales numbers - Just over 600 units as compared to 4500+units last month.
I guess it is also to do with the fact that a lot of inventory of these cars is already lying with the dealers and hence despatches to dealers have been reduced. Also could it be the effect of an impending Brio diesel launch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Ertiga hits a speedbreaker and its performance over the coming months will determine whether it’s a "blockbuster" or just a “good performer”.
One needs to remember that Maruti Plant was shut for a week and hence production of Ertiga would have been hit by 25%. MOM comparison for Ertiga hence would be erroneus for june 12. The waiting list for top end Petrol and Diesel indicates, Ertiga is a big hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
On the strength of UVs alone, Mahindra extends its lead over Tata, noticeably widening the gap in total sales. The Bolero & XUV have an exceptional month, the Scorpio a good one, but the Xylo remains a mediocre performer. Taxi customers aren’t buying, that shows in the Logan’s fall.
The xylo still is doing decent numbers and hasnt seen any fall with the launch of Ertiga.
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quiet symbolic for the thread to come up a few days late, kind of mimicking the trend in the industry, i was thinking maybe the manufacturers were hurriedly searching for some numbers (Like needle in haystack) sold and hence the data came in late .

Month over month, the only car i look for is Fortuner, and god what numbers it does every month, consistently. In such times its hard to miss a performance like this. Me along with everyone else thought maybe the XUV will give it some jitters, but it does not seem to be so. Now folks are talking maybe Storme will do the same, I would have agreed earlier, but now i have doubts.

Everyone agrees its overpriced, lacks features that cars half its price have, and still continues to give stellar performance month over month.

That being said, its surprising to see Captiva and CRV numbers almost doubling themselves. No such luck for Outlander though.

The analysis on this thread is like cherry on the cake. Good job.
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:55   #21
Team-BHP Support

Eritga having zero effect on the sales of other MUVs pretty much shows some product launches actually EXPAND the entire market. You don't need to grab marketshare from others to grow.

Aria sold 17 units? 17 as in 1 and 7? The number that comes after sixteen but before eighteen? Seriously?
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Ertiga with its own unique segment is eating up sales of lot of cars.
Was expecting XUV 500 in top 20 cars.
And, I still keep wondering where and how so many Boleros keep selling with such consistency ?!
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:09   #23
BHPian

1 of those 649 Jazz was mine . This steep fall in petrol-only cars does not come as a surprise. The stupid 7.5 Rs hike in petrol on May 23rd killed the petrol car sales - at least for next 3 to 4 months. Maybe, July will be little better given that we have seen 5 Rs being knocked off the petrol price since the hike. At times like these, I really feel so frustrated by the short sightedness of our politicians - they don't increase the petrol prices due to assembly elections, it keeps on accumulating, until finally the shock of accumulated price hike is delivered. Sadly, nothing is going to change here

GTO, is there any way we can get the sales split by fuel type for cars such as Swift, i20 etc. It would be interesting to look at - although I am sure it will only confirm that more than 75% of sales here are of diesel
Peregrine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Bolero is a winner. I like its straight lines and simple design.
M&M should launch a version of it equipped with a more refined engine and some creature comforts. It will take the fight to the city then. But I guess since biggest loser will be Scorpio, they will not do it.

Honda is paying the price of not listening to the cries of its customers for a diesel mill.
And they will keep paying the price for sometime to come.
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:20   #25
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the numbers.

I wonder how Safari went from 552 to 970. Looks like some people like me who are waiting for Strome to launch got fed up and went for current Safari.

Surprised to see Cruze numbers as well, looks like new launch working out for them.

Thanks once again

-Ijeet
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:28   #26
BHPian

Hyundai sold more i20s than i10. As already predicted by many is Eon cannibalizing i10 sales? The lack of petrol only option cannot be the only reason, as Wagon R sales is still strong.

Last edited by Daewood : 3rd July 2012 at 12:41.
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Maruti and Hyundai is stuck with FeviQuik in the first two places.

M&M overtaking TATA (by a bigger margin this time) comes as no surprise, considering M&M's fierce strategies and products when compared to TATA's lacklustre attitude towards the passenger segment. The recent improvement in M&M's customer care (compared to TATA) can be seen as a good example.

In the times to come, I see M&M emerging as a bigger manufacturer when compared to TATA, atleast in the passenger segment.

17 units of Aria? What a shame for such a good car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Aria sold 17 units? 17 as in 1 and 7? The number that comes after sixteen but before eighteen? Seriously?
ROFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Was expecting XUV 500 in top 20 cars.
And, I still keep wondering where and how so many Boleros keep selling with such consistency ?!
Considering the price and the production constraints of the XUV, we cant expect to see it in the top 20. Most of the months, the bookings for the XUV is closed, so how will it register the numbers?

Bolero dominates South India. The rugged nature of the Bolero has a huge loyal fan following there.
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:34   #28
BHPian

Great job GTO & Jalsa.

Wasn't particularly surprised with the Honda numbers. May numbers were good on the back of huge inventories and the buzz of deliveries on Brio / Jazz. Now with petrol price hike the going will get even more difficult for Honda. A little birdie (and scoop pics) puts a 70% chance of a Brio - Diesel by Diwali. Till then the lull should continue. Great time for bargain hunters if you're a petrolhead.

Cruze and Laura are a bit of a surprise. Cruze may be the new launch. But what's happening at Skoda.
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:34   #29
BHPian

Shocked to see the Brio figures slip from 4500 to 600 this month. Overall Honda sales slipping terribly in June. Not sure what has gone against Honda this month, especially the Brio.
However, i10 which is again a petrol only hatch still selling 6000 units and at the same time a similarly competitive hatch Brio fetching only 600? I even heard Honda has been giving discounts on their cars as well but still managed to get such an insignificant sales figure. The comparison of Brio and i10's sales figures just doesn't seems justifiable.
rony180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:46   #30
BHPian

Thanks GTO.
Wagon-R is one petrol car that is holding its fort well and actually grew over last month. Seems like buyers who are looking for a diesel hatch are buying CNG Wagon-R instead and this makes up for the lack of diesel option in this car.
And it is a great car at that price, all its shortcomings notwithstanding.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks