Team-BHP - ABS : A dealmaker or not for you?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   ABS : A dealmaker or not for you? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/122915-abs-dealmaker-not-you.html)

Most of our manufacturers are pushing out vehicles without Anti Lock Braking popularly - ABS and many customers dont care more either.

However there are many instances where this features makes it as essential as a seat belt and should be one of the mandatory safety requirements for any car on our roads.

Have seen repeatedly in our forums discussion about buying a vehicle with or without ABS. There are many here who would not buy a Micra just because it is san ABS for an otherwise brilliant car.

Recently posted the same issue albeit in a different context about one of my friends who is on a lookout for a Scorpio Lx 4X4 (base all wheel drive vehicle) but has just stopped before cutting the cheque due to non availability of ABS (even as an addition on special request)

There are many artefacts in here about ABS and this one taken out of Wikipedia-

Quote:

An anti-lock braking system (ABS) is an automobile safety system that allows the wheels on a motor vehicle to continue interacting tractively with the road surface as directed by driver steering inputs while braking, preventing the wheels from locking up (that is, ceasing rotation) and therefore avoiding skidding. It is an automated system that uses the principles of threshold braking and cadence braking, that was practised by skilful drivers with previous generation non-ABS braking systems. It does this at a much faster rate and with better control than a driver could manage.
An ABS generally offers improved vehicle control and decreases stopping distances on dry and slippery surfaces for many drivers; however, on loose surfaces like gravel or snow-covered pavement, an ABS can significantly increase braking distance, although still improving vehicle control.[1]
Since initial widespread use in production cars, anti-lock braking systems have evolved considerably. Recent versions not only prevent wheel lock under braking, but also electronically control the front-to-rear brake bias. This function, depending on its specific capabilities and implementation, is known as electronic brakeforce distribution (EBD), traction control system, emergency brake assist, or electronic stability control (ESC).
How ABS helped-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...saves-day.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...close-one.html

Provide your feedback by voting and sharing your views to find out the popular sentiment.

If I was in the market today, in one word -yes. That would have made or broken the deal.

Back then, when I bought the car, the particular model I bought didn't have it. It still doesn't have. But if I had to buy, I would pick something which had ABS.

I would never buy a car today without ABS and airbags - period!

Currently I own a 2004 City which was at the time without ABS and a Civic 2010 with ABS.
The confidence/difference in braking can only be experienced if you have driven both types of cars with and without ABS. This gains more weight because of the "fabulous" roads:D in Bombay and most parts of our country.

Car manufacturers make cars without safety features like ABS and airbags in our country because our people buy them. If only everybody would boycott (not buy) such cars the car companies would never make them.

We should not compromise on safety for the sake of money!

Drive safe with ABS!

Cheers.

Voted No. M&M did not provide ABS option on Xylo when I was in the market. Will I extend my budget by 2-3 L to go for altogether different vehicle without ABS? Probably not.

That said, for many hatchbacks, ABS is only on top variant which is lot of money if I have limited budget. ABS should be offered as option for all variants - charge bit more if need be.

My last 4 cars have had ABS/EBD/Airbags but I still feel its not a dealbreaker. For guys like me who grew up in the scooter era, even a car was a luxury back then.. leave alone airbags and abs. The only airbag I had was being sitting in the middle of my parents.
Though my dad rates safety very highly (cause he loves his kids) but to be really honest I have had few times where ABS has kicked in but neither of the situations was threatening. Its a good to have imo but not a must have. Regarding safety, I am guessing in India its more dangerous to cross the road than to be in even in a M800, ABS/Airbags are a LUXURY!

Voted yes for obvious reasons.

I am on the hunt and zeroed on either Safari Gx or Scorpio SLe. I actually wanted 4x4 and was considering Lx 4x4 Scorp; but posts on some other thread on Scorpio and on ABS; made me think again and I stopped short of going ahead.

Will wait a few more months till more hari patti makes way in my pocket; but will go ahead with the model that has ABS as standard.

My earlier car - Indica Xeta didnt have ABS; nor did I feel the need that time; mostly due to ignorance. But not now.

That gives us a basic question -- Why do the manufacturers think ABS is an add-on "feature" rather than basic safety requirement like a seat-belt? Can't they think buyers would be better off with cars with ABS rather than funky electronic gizmos like Bluetooth etc....:Frustrati:Frustrati

I would never buy a car today without ABS and airbags. Being a first car owner, I wouldn't want to put myself or others in danger just for a few thousand bucks.

and yes, Micra was under consideration for me but dropped it due to lack of ABS. Same with Swift VXi(/VDI) coupled with the huge waiting time. Market leaders(esp Maruti and Hyundai) should start being more responsible and start making this a standard in their cars. This can reduce accidents on the road to some extent atleast.

Voted YES.

IMO ABS is the first line of safety on the crazy Indian roads. During my Fiesta buying days I always wanted to buy a car which offered me the basic safety devices and ABS was one of them. Hence zeroed in on the mid variant of Fiesta which had ABS but no Air bags.

If the above question was "Is Airbag the deal maker?" my choice would have been a No.

While buying a New Car - Very very important but not to the extent of dealbreaker.
While buying a Used Car - No

I had to wait a month more and pay about 40K more while buying my car with ABS and I feel it was worth every bit of it for the safety it provides

There is already a similar poll/thread on this topic.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-airbags.html

Thread Closed.