Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2012, 10:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Launch Report

Done with the test drive of the top of the line diesel.

Holy turbolag batman! Nothing at all under 2000 rpm so driving this vehicle fully loaded in the hills is going to be interesting with a lot of gearshifting (especially the 6 speed). I am not entirely sure sticking in such a small displacement diesel is going to work for people who travel in packs of 5 with luggage on weekends.

I've booked the 110bhp but I now want to TD the 85bhp to see if the smaller turbo has less turbo lag. It is really VERY annoying when you slot into 2nd and find everyone overtaking you. You need to re-learn driving and slot into 1st everytime you approach a hill at slow speeds.

My enthusiasm has been dampened by the engine specs. The 110 runs out of breath so quickly I can't believe they tested it to be faster than the XUV which pulls like a freight train!
gsferrari is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 10:56   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bageherath View Post
I saw the duster yesterday for quick few mins...

Planing for test drive tomorrow in Hyd...will update my opinion on that in detail.

Cheer,
Bagheerath
Bagheerath
Would be great if you can clarify an open point that does not seem to be answered clearly yet - Does the Duster RxL 110PS have a single driver side airbag or not? One of the folks said earlier in this thread that it does. The official brochure says on to "dual front air bags" but that does not necessarily mean a single airbag is not there. If you could confirm this during your test drive, would much appreciate it, because that would make a clear difference.
Old 5th July 2012, 11:00   #33
Senior - BHPian

all that localisation and they still couldnt configure the stalks to indian/RHD spec! sheesh- this can actually be a safety harard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
My enthusiasm has been dampened by the engine specs. The 110 runs out of breath so quickly I can't believe they tested it to be faster than the XUV which pulls like a freight train!
Goes to prove that never trust the auto mags!

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th July 2012 at 11:46. Reason: Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post. Thanks.
Old 5th July 2012, 11:05   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Done with the test drive of the top of the line diesel.
Thanks for your feedback gsferrari, I am eager to know about the 85PS engine too. Please do share your experience as soon as you get to test drive that version.
Old 5th July 2012, 11:06   #35
Senior - BHPian

Parwath, weight is between "1740-1781kgs" and i think the 85ps engine may not be great to drive.

Looking forward for TD reports...

gsferrai's report confirms my doubt on the performance part..

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The specs look good. The 84BHP /1.4 mill with 20KgM .......

Last edited by lohithrao : 5th July 2012 at 11:34.
Old 5th July 2012, 11:16   #36
BHPian

Man this car feels like the perfect upgrade from our Ford Fusion 1.6!! It won't be as good to drive as the Ford, but a 110 bhp fuel efficient diesel, more space, macho looks and high driving position sort of is the perfect recipe. Will have to wait and watch if Renault takes any interest in its costumers and improves their A.S.S. Launch of the AWD would be the icing the cake!

Its praised quite a lot in Europe, hope its the same here. Or may be the EcoSport is the way to go

But I like Duster for its sheer old school, tough, no nonsense package.
Old 5th July 2012, 11:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

Neat package by Renault.
Earlier i thought with this engine specs, it would be really underpowered but i guess with a kerb weight less than 1200kgs and zero lag DCi motor it would be a pretty good balance.
Ertiga at 1235 kgs is heavier than Duster ?!
Old 5th July 2012, 11:36   #38
BHPian

One of my friends is considering the Duster and we had gone to see the vehicle yesterday. Today, the dealer has sent the pricelist. (prices in Bangalore) Hopefully, we will go for a test drive today.

Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-dusterpricelist.jpg
A350XWB is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 11:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Parwath, weight is between "1740-1781kgs" and i think the 85ps engine may not be great to drive.
That is the total weight with full load. Vehicle weight itself must be less then 1200 kg.
Old 5th July 2012, 11:43   #40
Senior - BHPian

Almost 10 lacs for the higher petrol variant on road and unfortunately they have left it a bit half dressed as far as the equipment levels go. I would have liked to see more features on the top end petrol than what they have presently , as it is petrol cars are taking a beating thanks to fuel prices and to have a car which does not really make an attempt to max out on features might be a big weakness

The other item i dont like are the door panels , this is purely basis what i see in the photographs but big massive plastic sheets - wished they had broken that up more by inserting more fabric

Completely agree on the missing driver armrest , should have been there

On the positive its a good looking car and looks like it will have considerable presence on the road
Old 5th July 2012, 11:44   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Lohith, that's the gross weight. Rarely loaded to that point.

Here's specs from ACI:

Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-dusterkerb.jpg

15 secs to 100 may look slow, But may be sufficient for this.

Last edited by condor : 5th July 2012 at 12:04.
Old 5th July 2012, 11:45   #42
Senior - BHPian

Going by the response in the initial thread i feel we are kinda nitpicking here.
For people who have always wanted an SUV and don't have a big budget this is certainly a good option. Look at the interiors of the Fortuner and the niggles facing the XUV but they are still very much in demand.
The diesel base model is 9 lacs otr in Delhi which imho is great VFM.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 5th July 2012 at 11:49.
faithless_1984 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 11:47   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
So when do we get an official test drive/ review report Rehaan?
Should be online around the 21st of this month.

cya
R
Old 5th July 2012, 11:48   #44
BHPian

After I went and checked duster in person I now feel like those unfortunate in the duster ad who bought a sedan . Extremely impressed with space and cabin (airy) way better compared to the rapid. The plastics seems decent not as bad as it is portrayed in some of the threads here, I felt its "almost" at par with rapid definitely way better than ertigo's (10 L +) and sx4 (10 L +). Again I suppose we cant expect D segment like build quality from a built to a price vehicle. For example compare the laura's and rapid's build quality.

I'm yet to check how it rides , (hopefully my rapid scores over here) however the NVH seems excellent with very less engine noise inside the cabin.

-Chris
cags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 11:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
One of my friends is considering the Duster and we had gone to see the vehicle yesterday. Today, the dealer has sent the pricelist. (prices in Bangalore) Hopefully, we will go for a test drive today.

Attachment 951414
The top of the line RXZ with option pack is 14L on road Bangalore!! At that price point I am not sure if it will find a lot of buyers. The entry level XUV (priced at around 14.5L OTR Bangalore) will make a better alternative than this.

I know lot of people have said this before, but I think Renault has really lost the plot here. At 14L, I was expecting a 4X4 model but don't see anything being said about that, which means that we can forget about it for a few months at least.

I guess I have to look elsewhere now :(
Closed Thread

Most Viewed