Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2012, 11:56   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Launch Report

This is a good looking SUV. Boxy and muscular - how a real SUV should be. By that itself it is going to sell in numbers. All Renault needs to do is improve on their A.S.S and open a few more dealerships. I personally don't see the Logan story repeating all over again for this one atleast!
Old 5th July 2012, 11:59   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Done with the test drive of the top of the line diesel.

Nothing at all under 2000 rpm so driving this vehicle fully loaded in the hills is going to be interesting with a lot of gearshifting (especially the 6 speed).

I've booked the 110bhp but I now want to TD the 85bhp to see if the smaller turbo has less turbo lag.
This is interesting. gsferrari, please do update once you have driven the 85bhp version. The team-bhp official report on the Duster should be worth waiting for.

As far as pricing goes, it seems fair for an SUV with 60% localisation. Renault might add a few additional features on a few variants once the localisation level increases. I hope that comes in the form of safety features. They would do well to offer ABS/EBD as standard on the mid-variants as well.
Old 5th July 2012, 12:01   #48
BHPian

Thanks Parry for the pics. The interior quality and the little things like lack of center arm rest, very basic instrument cluster may be deal breakers especially considering the package the sedans in that price bracket offers. The butch looks is a huge factor going for it though. I feel that this car could be heavily customized. We could see some tastefully modded Dusters in less than a years time. IMHO, wider and bigger tires will make this car so much more intimidating!!

Is it true that the Duster is bigger than Yeti?
Old 5th July 2012, 12:03   #49
BHPian

Guys, if anyone has the brochure available, then please upload it here. I am at office and all external websites are blocked. Hence, unable to view the Renault site :(

Luckily TBHP works

Regards,
Aniket
aniket.tiwari27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 12:06   #50
Team-BHP Support

As I mentioned earlier, the pricing is quite neutral, but what exactly is the USP of this car, compared to a C-segment sedan? All I can think of is the higher GC (some may mention the SUV/crossover shape as a USP). Other than that, there is nothing much superior here in comparison to the likes of a Vento, Fiesta or a Linea. From the interior pics on page 1, it looks more a 4 seater, no 4WD, and no 60:40 split seats (which IMO is a big negative for a vehicle of this type). For what it stands, the Yeti 4x2 (even at a higher price) looks like a better option.

And yes, the car does look good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
At 60% localization if this is the pricing, then would it be reasonable to expect that prices may come down further with 80% localization?
Ideally yes, but have we seen many manufacturers doing that, unless there is a slow movement of the product?
Honda did a price-cut on Jazz (and even City?) citing localization as a reason, but it’s quite evident that dwindling sales was the real reason.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 12:06   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
One of my friends is considering the Duster and we had gone to see the vehicle yesterday. Today, the dealer has sent the pricelist. (prices in Bangalore) Hopefully, we will go for a test drive today.

Attachment 951414
The insurance amount is 36K for 85PS (O). Please do find out if we can get our own insurance or if the one they provide has any benefits.
Old 5th July 2012, 12:10   #52
BHPian

I think the pricing from Renault was almost ok kind of thing. Though there would have a room of 10-30K less for all the variant. what I feel is that they have messed up with the placing the feature across various range.
A small re-calculation with modified feature list :-
Base diesel 85 BHP... All pricing are my assumption.

Cost 8,00,000
ABS 20,000
Alloy 20,000
ICE 25,000
Fog Lamp 5,000
Rear Def &Wiper 5,000
MISC feature 25,000
----------------------------
9,00,000 + 1.25 L (Tax, Ins)

This would have been much VFM rather than just stuffing many feature unnecessary with the high end version to get the safety pack. And the top end they could have add 2nd AC, leather, Electric ORVM blah blah ....

Any way changes are welcome. Renault may re-consider the feature line up to get the sales after the public response/review.

Last edited by Sowmya : 5th July 2012 at 12:11.
Old 5th July 2012, 12:15   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Going by the response in the initial thread i feel we are kinda nitpicking here.
For people who have always wanted an SUV and don't have a big budget this is certainly a good option. Look at the interiors of the Fortuner and the niggles facing the XUV but they are still very much in demand.
The diesel base model is 9 lacs otr in Delhi which imho is great VFM.
I second this - the diesel RxE is the VFM here in Bangalore

@8.02 lakhs (X-S) and @9.65 lakhs (OTR), I would any day choose the Duster dCi RxE over a '7-seater' Scorpio or Safari. Any adult forced to travel in those last rows/jump-seats will approach anyway approach the National Human Rights Commission beyond 30 minutes.

Plastics anyway are quite low-rent in the Safari LX and Scorpio LX variants.

Far better is the promise of a balanced ride, complete dependability, promise of fuel efficiency (20.45 km/lt as per ARAI!), reasonable soft-roading capabilities and a large boot - ditch the parcel tray and even bulky stuff can be carried with ease.

By the way, has anyone seen the RxE models yet? Am keen to see the interiors including the space relaeased by the missing rear AC!

Last edited by itwasntme : 5th July 2012 at 12:18. Reason: Typo
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 12:18   #54
BHPian

Renault has competitively priced and the variants have been placed to cater to every type of prospect buyer. I guess the 85HP RxL at 9,36,087/- would be an apt buy for most of the people looking for a soft-roader (keeping in mind the pricing of the XUV and Yeti).
I had seen images of the Duster with a different front grill and air-dam making it look more macho. The grill in the launched Indian version makes it look more bulgy IMO.

Ford launching the Ecosport will open up more close competition in this segment.
Old 5th July 2012, 12:29   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Going by the response in the initial thread i feel we are kinda nitpicking here.
For people who have always wanted an SUV and don't have a big budget this is certainly a good option. Look at the interiors of the Fortuner and the niggles facing the XUV but they are still very much in demand.
The diesel base model is 9 lacs otr in Delhi which imho is great VFM.
I disagree. It may be an option, but not a VFM option. XUV looks better than Duster atleast in my books. The key aspect with XUV is that is loaded with features and has the option for the additional 2 passengers when necessary. XUV engine is really the killer with 140BHP on tap.
Duster looks good from certain angles while the rear is not so great. Heck even the W6 looks great value in front of the Duster top end which costs nearly 12L on road in Delhi very near to the XUV W6 price.

Yes for those who can't afford more than 10L, then Duster is an option since Scorpio and Safari are at the fag end of their life span. But the all new Scorpio will challenge the Duster and make life tough for the 85Ps variants.

Last edited by nurni76 : 5th July 2012 at 12:31.
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 12:31   #56

The Duster shown in the ad looks more upmarket/premium with side and front cladding, different headlamps etc. Is that variant available as an option?
Old 5th July 2012, 12:33   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
I disagree. It may be an option, but not a VFM option.
Just to clarify, both faithless_1984 and I are referring to the diesel base model only (RxE dCi 85), when we talk of VFM.

The mid and top variants are certainly not so!
Old 5th July 2012, 12:33   #58
BHPian

Guys,

I have to eat my words!

After cribbing about lack of value and no features earlier, i shamelessly went to thier showroom just now. Trust me, just one look and i am now quite sure i am going to book the petrol vehicle now. It looks really wonderful in flesh & has decent space as well. Thought i didnt like the way the doors shut.

To again try to redeem some respect for my initial reactions, i went to Honda showroom to check out the prices.

Check this out

Honda City (Corporate edition) Vs Duster Petrol RXE
8.41 lakhs on road Vs 8.46 lakhs on road
1.5 liter engine Vs 1.6 liter engine
Basic features Vs Again basic features
Sedate uncle looks Vs WOW! Butch SUV looks

ok Comparison over! Duster pulls my heart strings much much better than the Honda City. Period.

Other than the sore point of not getting Airbags in Duster, i do like the RXE version (petrol). Since 98% of my driving is in City, guess as usual i have to let go of airbags, ABS etc.

I am now drooling on thought of getting a RXE (Petrol), add a good looking alloys, Fog light cluster, Music system with Rear camera. Voila - A stunning looking SUV at less than 10 lakhs!

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2012 at 12:42. Reason: Typo
Old 5th July 2012, 12:36   #59
Senior - BHPian

Given how the 1.5 liter engine in 110bhp state of tune is performing, I have very little hope for the Ford Ecosport engine in terms of performance on Indian roads. In stop-go situation it helps to have torque. I love the Scorpio where you just let the clutch out and the car rolls forward up to a decent clip without any throttle input. Makes life a lot easier in traffic without having to splurge on an automatic which pretty much does the same thing.

I am biting the bullet and picking the middle variant in the 110. They don't have the 85 on test and anyway this is just interim until they launch the 2.0L 4X4 at around 17L on road which will be a good price. Not VFM but certainly segment leader. No other capable 4x4 for less than 25L? (Fortuner, Ford Underwear, Pajero/Sport all 25 plus)
Old 5th July 2012, 12:41   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzer View Post
The Duster shown in the ad looks more upmarket/premium with side and front cladding, different headlamps etc. Is that variant available as an option?
Whatever we have seen in the videos so far, must have been the version sold in UK with 4X4, AT and other premium features. What they have launched in India wont be able to drive in those terrains as shown in the videos
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks