Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2012, 12:49   #61
AVR
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Launch Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
They don't have the 85 on test and anyway this is just interim until they launch the 2.0L 4X4 at around 17L on road which will be a good price. Not VFM but certainly segment leader.
Did they mention any timelines for the 2.0L 4x4?
Old 5th July 2012, 12:51   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
At 60% localization if this is the pricing, then would it be reasonable to expect that prices may come down further with 80% localization?
Price cut after 80% localisation seems very unlikely. Also, this price is supposed to be introductory as Renault mentioned. So on the contrary - you can expect a slight price hike but no price cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I believe its only sold in the 2WD avatar as yet. Is that true?
The export markets do get the 4WD option in the 110 PS diesel engine.
Certainly should have been an option over here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post
Looks decent. Let's see whether this can give some life to Renault India!
Well when I did ask the team on how optimistic they are about their sales figures after the Duster, they mentioned a rough estimate of 60% to comprise of the Duster. This can be due to the novelty factor and the 1st in the segment benefits as well. Only time will tell the actual story though. Lets wait till the July sales analysis for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Interior plastics look very good and I like the colour used in the interiors.
You have a choice in the interior trims depending on the models. Do check the Renault website for the same. The Top of the line variant can choose between the piano black finish or the wooden trim I suppose. Entry level variant gets the black interior which I think is much more easy to maintain.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th July 2012 at 14:10. Reason: Fixing quote
parrys is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 12:56   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Given how the 1.5 liter engine in 110bhp state of tune is performing, I have very little hope for the Ford Ecosport engine in terms of performance on Indian roads. In stop-go situation it helps to have torque. I love the Scorpio where you just let the clutch out and the car rolls forward up to a decent clip without any throttle input. Makes life a lot easier in traffic without having to splurge on an automatic which pretty much does the same thing.

I am biting the bullet and picking the middle variant in the 110. They don't have the 85 on test and anyway this is just interim until they launch the 2.0L 4X4 at around 17L on road which will be a good price. Not VFM but certainly segment leader. No other capable 4x4 for less than 25L? (Fortuner, Ford Underwear, Pajero/Sport all 25 plus)
Hey buddy! was that a joke to have spelled Ford Endeavour as 'Ford Underwear'???

In reports available on the net, some say the prices are just introductory and there are chances of the same going up in near future! blame the media for all the hype that was created and calling this a affordable SUV even before it could be launched!! to me, Scorpio and Safari suddenly looks more affordable and practical!

Last edited by vinair : 5th July 2012 at 12:59.
vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 13:06   #64
Senior - BHPian

Change in plan...I am not biting the bullet. The turbo lag just puts me off in a big way. Dad is more keen on the Yeti / Innova so I am secretly hoping we swing the Yeti deal because the engine in that car is just bonkers.
Old 5th July 2012, 13:11   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Change in plan...I am not biting the bullet. The turbo lag just puts me off in a big way. Dad is more keen on the Yeti / Innova so I am secretly hoping we swing the Yeti deal because the engine in that car is just bonkers.
Go for Yeti. It is just too good a machine. Looks may not be liked by many.

Yeti is my current favourite in that segment. Even though it was out of my budget, I TDed it while I was in the market 3 months back for a new ride. Finally, I bought Vento TDI Highline. Given a choice, I would definitely buy it. Go for 4X4 Elegance variant

Anything further I write here on Yeti, it will be considered off topic

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2012 at 12:44. Reason: Typo
aniket.tiwari27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 14:03   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
Guys, if anyone has the brochure available, then please upload it here. I am at office and all external websites are blocked. Hence, unable to view the Renault site :(

Luckily TBHP works

Regards,
Aniket
Hey Aniket, the brochure is there on the very first page of this thread itself. Just browse to the bottom on the pictures in message #3 & look for "Duster Spec sheet.pdf"
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 14:14   #67
BHPian

Brilliant pricing and a Killer move bringing in 2 Diesel engines. This may well turn out to be the Mass volume model that Renault longed for. In my opinion the Renault Pulse was just an also ran.
Old 5th July 2012, 14:17   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Holy turbolag batman! Nothing at all under 2000 rpm so driving this vehicle fully loaded in the hills is going to be interesting with a lot of gearshifting (especially the 6 speed).
It is really VERY annoying when you slot into 2nd and find everyone overtaking you. You need to re-learn driving and slot into 1st everytime you approach a hill at slow speeds.

My enthusiasm has been dampened by the engine specs. The 110 runs out of breath so quickly I can't believe they tested it to be faster than the XUV which pulls like a freight train!
Now that is really sad.
So what's attractive on paper (245Nm, 6 speed, etc) does not actually perform on the road???
Thanks for the heads-up.

Of late I have been fed up with the Autocar and Overdrive reviews - these guys simply use decorative terms (that too often contradicting each other within the same paragraph) without any detailed tests...I would rather trust guys like us, who are very clear in what they say.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 5th July 2012 at 14:18.
Old 5th July 2012, 14:22   #69
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Called up Renault Mount Road to enquire the price of Duster 85 BHP Diesel (RxL) + Option pack.

Renault has made the critical mistake of pricing it about 10 lakhs (10.16 Lakhs Ex-Showroom). This has catapulted the OTR price to 12.21 Lakhs.

In Tamilnadu, the sales tax for cars less than 10 Lakhs is 10%. For cars costing above 10 Lakhs is 15%. Link - State Transport Authority

Since Renault chose to price the 85 BHP RxL+ Option Pack (and the 110 BP RxL) 16 thousand more than 10 Lakhs, the customer ends up paying Rs. 50,800 more Tax, added to that more insurance and other charges.
MAS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 14:30   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Now that is really sad.
So what's attractive on paper (245Nm, 6 speed, etc) does not actually perform on the road???
Thanks for the heads-up.
Thats quite a disappointment. I thought Renault makes wonderful diesel mills. Especially the likes of those in the Logan. Those Meru cabs have brutal pulling power in almost every gear and with minimal turbo lag.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 14:34   #71
Senior - BHPian

I like it but then I don't. Looks are subjective, but the side profile doesn't look too good. Some points, it's got correct. But just like other Renault launches, it got many points wrong. Let's wait for the official review before commenting on the engine/gearbox and performance.

I can see many parts sharing with the Micra/Pulse/Sunny. Those round A/C vents. Interior stalks. And I hope the rear air-con vent is not a crazy gimmick like the one on the Sunny. The pricing should have been on the lower side, i.e to say ~11-11.5 L on road for the top end diesel variant (D)(RxZ); which could have garnered them more numbers. But they got it wrong I feel.

Before buying you would think twice. Somewhere at the back of the mind you like it a little bit, but your mind knows it's not really VFM at that price.

Quote:
No other capable 4x4 for less than 25L? (Fortuner, Ford Underwear, Pajero/Sport all 25 plus)
I think that's a typo !!!
Old 5th July 2012, 14:46   #72
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra will surely not be happy when XUV5OO is compared to Duster. XUV is much larger, with extra two seats. Moreover, it has a much larger engine, and has much better lugging capacity. On the downside, the fuel efficiency is much lower (so what if it runs on diesel? It still causes more pollution than Duster).

Going by the build quality of Logan (taxis that I have been in, showing six-figure mileage), we can expect smooth and rattle-free ride for many many years in Duster too.

Is that a towing hook on the rear bumper in this image? Can we connect a trailer, in case the boot space is not enough (I know many of you are laughing)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 14:52   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Called up Renault Mount Road to enquire the price of Duster 85 BHP Diesel (RxL) + Option pack.

Renault has made the critical mistake of pricing it about 10 lakhs (10.16 Lakhs Ex-Showroom). This has catapulted the OTR price to 12.21 Lakhs.

In Tamilnadu, the sales tax for cars less than 10 Lakhs is 10%. For cars costing above 10 Lakhs is 15%. Link - State Transport Authority

Since Renault chose to price the 85 BHP RxL+ Option Pack (and the 110 BP RxL) 16 thousand more than 10 Lakhs, the customer ends up paying Rs. 50,800 more Tax, added to that more insurance and other charges.

Bangalore number is 1003369 .. into the higher road tax bracket by 3k !

BTW- just back from the dealer's.
Good looks and all from the outside .. But the cabin, height wise, is more or less like a compact sedan.. Raise the seat and there no head room and steering wheel fits tightly on ones legs..
A dead pedal would have been nice considering the car-like driving posture. But there's a bulge of the console part where a dead pedal could have been..
One needs a long distance test drive to take a call.
Old 5th July 2012, 14:55   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post

I thought that the pricing was 9,99,000 for RXL(O) to keep the < 10L sales tax. Looks like the pricing ex-Chennai is about 20k higher thereby increasing about 50k suddenly :(
Old 5th July 2012, 14:59   #75
Senior - BHPian

I find the pricing to be deeply cynical and out of sync with tax realities. Everyone knows the tax breakups! Possibly some kind of arrangement between Renault and the government.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks