Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2012, 15:04   #76

Re: Renault Duster : Official Launch Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Called up Renault Mount Road to enquire the price of Duster 85 BHP Diesel (RxL) + Option pack.

Renault has made the critical mistake of pricing it about 10 lakhs (10.16 Lakhs Ex-Showroom). This has catapulted the OTR price to 12.21 Lakhs.

In Tamilnadu, the sales tax for cars less than 10 Lakhs is 10%. For cars costing above 10 Lakhs is 15%. Link - State Transport Authority

Since Renault chose to price the 85 BHP RxL+ Option Pack (and the 110 BP RxL) 16 thousand more than 10 Lakhs, the customer ends up paying Rs. 50,800 more Tax, added to that more insurance and other charges.
I did the same calculations in the morning.hence thinking of canceling my booking and wait for other launches.But still somewhere feel like booking 85 RXL,then again when i think that i am spending close to 11lakhs on a vehical without AIRBAGS and ABS ,whether its worth it or not ??
Old 5th July 2012, 15:27   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjeetnair View Post
I did the same calculations in the morning.hence thinking of canceling my booking and wait for other launches.But still somewhere feel like booking 85 RXL,then again when i think that i am spending close to 11lakhs on a vehical without AIRBAGS and ABS ,whether its worth it or not ??

Looks like the tide is turning - I just got a call from HDFC offering 13.9% interest rate on used car loans - they never came below 15 in last 3 years.
They are offering 11.9% on new car loans (all numbers "before" any negotiations) - so a used Yeti for around same price as new Duster (or a used Tucson for around half the price) makes super sense. Both Yeti and Tucson offer a basic 4x4 as well...

If one should buy the Duster, it should be the top end with all options. Skipping on safety makes no sense to me...
Old 5th July 2012, 15:30   #78
Senior - BHPian

I'm just thinking aloud so no offence meant to anyone but I really think the Duster looks boring carrying a not interested look right from its face till its tail lights. Forget calling it pretty or butch, the vehicle looks so tired and sleepy that it can dose of anywhere at any time. It feels like the Maruti 1000 being launched in today's times where all vehicles are designed to look cool, this is designed to just remind us of how yesteryear's cars looked.

And spending >Rs.10 L on this sure seems to be a joke IMO. This vehicle has no competitors be it the Yeti or Innova or Ertiga or the Mahindra trio, since they all have some USP or the other whereas this one's USP can very well be (?) umm, its existence or even better its looks that could make others fall asleep.

Sorry to all those who love this vehicle but it just doesn't seem interesting IMO and possibly a dud (although it might be too early to decide that)
S2!!! is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 15:32   #79
BHPian

In Gurgaon Ex-Showroom Price for RXL 85 PS with Option Pack is 9.99 Lakhs keeping in mind that the tax structure changes when price crosses 10 Lakhs.

Then why is price (ex-showroom) different in Chennai or Bangalore ?
Old 5th July 2012, 15:39   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!!
I'm just thinking aloud so no offence meant to anyone but I really think the Duster looks boring carrying a not interested look right from its face till its tail lights. Forget calling it pretty or butch, the vehicle looks so tired and sleepy that it can dose of anywhere at any time. It feels like the Maruti 1000 being launched in today's times where all vehicles are designed to look cool, this is designed to just remind us of how yesteryear's cars looked.

And spending >Rs.10 L on this sure seems to be a joke IMO. This vehicle has no competitors be it the Yeti or Innova or Ertiga or the Mahindra trio, since they all have some USP or the other whereas this one's USP can very well be (?) umm, its existence or even better its looks that could make others fall asleep.

Sorry to all those who love this vehicle but it just doesn't seem interesting IMO and possibly a dud (although it might be too early to decide that)
Good point but often the early market segment leaders make a killing. No competition = monopoly of the 9-13 lakh segment.
Old 5th July 2012, 15:44   #81
Senior - BHPian

It would be good if the Storme is launched at a price point slightly below the existing Safari ( which starts at about 8.4lakhs ex showroom BEFORE discounts )

Even more attractive would be a rejig in the Scorpio pricing. I would love to go for the SLE if its brought down to the current Lx pricing ( wish ful thinking maybe ). Else the 85ps RXE makes good sense ( leaves some cash for some mods in terms of better tyres/alloys/roof mounted lights etc )
Old 5th July 2012, 15:45   #82
BHPian

Just saw the Duster at Andheri, Mumbai. The car is smaller and lower than I thought. Its more like a slightly higher hatch with a longer back. The seating position is not as imposing, you are seating same height as than you would in a slighter higher sedan like the SX4, car to car on a flat road the Duster is nearly the same height as the Swift

The exaggerated wheel arches gives it more width on paper because space is at a premium inside. Its realtively narrow given the pics. It's not very spacious inside which was a surprise. Interior build quality, plastics and switches are very basic built to cost. There is no insulation on the doors so wind speed over 100 is going to be problem.

Overall a very average and quirky offering, It has a place but pricing is off. I can't see how more than 12 lakhs OTR works for this. I can confirm the RXL 110 DOES NOT have airbags driver or passenger side which is silly on Renault's part as this is nearly 13 lakhs OTR.

For those looking for the 85 without safety kit perhaps this is an option and that's probably where it will sell, but its the folks looking at the 110 who have a dilemma. The RXL without airbags doesn't cut it and yet it is 13 plus, and the RZX is 14 lakhs. The expectation was it would at least 2 lakhs less than the XUV given what it offers.

Mahindra have to cut rear disk brakes, independent rear suspension, climate control and all the gizmos etc and they can probabaly go below the Duster, and yet offer more space, comfort and refinement. The XUV is not a 7 seater, with those seats there is no boot space so it is very much a compact SUV like the CRV, Outlander.

And the same with Yeti, detune the engine to 110, remove ESP, independent suspension, disk brakes and you are closer to the Duster, with much better interiors, plastics and build quality, so the Duster while positioned as a value buy is actually not.

Last edited by raul : 5th July 2012 at 15:53.
raul is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 15:46   #83
BHPian

Anybody got a chance to TD the base diesel variant RxE? It would be great if someone can post some interior snaps here. Curious to see the black theme (am I right?). Also would somebody compare RxE to Scorpio Lx (please don't laugh at me. I did not mean the engine or performance but just the look and feel of the interior. That too only up to 5 seats )?

Also would somebody comment about the brakes without ABS? A comparison would be useful since Scorpio Lx is also Non-ABS.

Note : I am too lazy to travel more than 100 KMs to see it in real. Thanks to the number of showrooms in my area.
Old 5th July 2012, 15:56   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Mahindra have to cut rear disk brakes, independent rear suspension, climate control and all the gizmos etc and they can probabaly go below the Duster, and yet offer more space, comfort and refinement. The XUV is not a 7 seater, with those seats there is no boot space so it is very much a compact SUV like the CRV, Outlander.

And the same with Yeti, detune the engine to 110, remove ESP, independent suspension, disk brakes and you are closer to the Duster, with much better interiors, plastics and build quality, so the Duster while positioned as a value buy is actually not.
M&M and Skoda - you have a nice suggestion above for a new entry level variant
Old 5th July 2012, 16:01   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
J

And the same with Yeti, detune the engine to 110, remove ESP, independent suspension, disk brakes and you are cheaper than the duster, with much better interiors, plastics and build quality, so the Duster while positioned as a value buy is actually not.
I fully second your suggestion - There is a lot that can be done to make the Yeti a bit more affordable. In European markets, the basic version comes with the same 1.6L TDI engine as in the Vento, with around 110 PS and 250 NM torque, it is just as good as the Duster's 110 PS engine. That TDI engine has decent grunt, very little turbo lag and it is a proven commodity in India already via the Vento. Just with this change, from a 2.0 L engine to a 1.6 L engine, they can probably shave Rs. 1.5 Lacs or so off from the Active 4X2 that is on offer for around 13 Lacs ex-showroom today. Plus, "formalize" some of the discounts (Yeti anyway gets discounted by 1 - 1.5 lacs today), and they can get the Yeti active 4X2 down to the 9.99 Lac ex-showroom price point....With its premium quality and world class safety, such a Yeti variant will leave the Duster in the dust for sure
Old 5th July 2012, 16:15   #86
BHPian

Just now back from the test drive. Drives neat and feels comfortable. As expected a no nonsense vehicle, with a full nonsense price beyond Diesel RXE and RXL. Gave the showroom people an earful.
At the cost of repeating myself as in earlier post,If the Diesel RXL with Option had been priced less than 10L ex-showroom, it would have been a real VFM SUV, as it would have brought down the On Road price by at least 50K. In Chennai, RTO charges for diesel RXL with ex-showroom price of 914982 is 106498, but RTO charges for RXL-Option with ex-showroom price of 1016760 is 167514. For a ex-showroom price difference of 1L for renault, our Govt. is pocketing a cool 60K extra. Removing the alloys from option in RXL and bringing the ex-showroom price below 10L would have made it a sweet deal,as no Indian SUV with ABS and loaded safety features is under 12.5L on road.
Another thing, Duster is no looker on road, at least to me.It is as plain Jane as the next car, with average road presence. Even I was fooled by it's inspiring stance, flared arches and aggressive dare look inside the showroom. On road, maybe because of it's compact design it looks like a mildly overgrown,inflated hatch. After finishing the test drive, I followed the duster on my car to see how people will react to the duster on road, and not many even bothered to give a second glance.
Still, I have confirmed my booking, albeit changing my colour to Red, now mulling over changing it to black. Reason? White looks so puny. even my Chevy Beat looks more intimidating on road.
Now, duster is a proper SUV, stripped of it's 4W drive option for India. So hard core offroading is in it's gene right from it's conception. Not everyone is a full time offroader, and driving in our pothole riddled roads in itself is an offroading adventure in itself. In that aspect at least, I'm pretty sure it will easily outperform it's indian pseudo SUV counterparts and maybe even the Yeti due to it's higher GC. Not only will it perform, it will be real rugged, not just pseudo rugged and definitely cheaper and more reliable(look at the logan).
On the highway, other than the Yeti, I dont think there are many SUVs, sub 15 L to beat the duster in handling and comfort.
So why do I feel cheated?
On the price to safety ratio, duster could have easily given VFM by providing just ABS alone on all variants and increasing the price by 30K. Just because the consumer is not bothered, does not mean that the Company should take the same stand. Consider this scenario. We are living in a country where some people drive scorpios and safaris with less than stellar handling and braking at speeds in excess of 130Kmh on highways posing threat to themselves and the general public. Imagine what they will do in a RXE -Diesel. I rest my case.
Bottom line, Renault got greedy. Good car, bad pricing strategy.And still, I'm going to get me a duster
Neil Roy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 16:21   #87
BHPian

11.35 for Top end Duster and the Innova G (n-1) variant retails at 11,84,91! I know these are really "TWO DIFFERENT THINGS", but just when I overhead someone say, for 50 K more, you get an Innnova, why are your buying this? Well, hm, apart from new looks what is the USP? a 4X4 would have been one, but it not there yet. At this price, there could be cross shopping, I know guys who wanted to guy a swift and finally ended buying a Scoprio.
I really want to wait and watch this month, to see if the "blown up" Figo (in lay mans terms) will work wonders for Renault.
Old 5th July 2012, 16:25   #88
BHPian

I seen SUV yesterday but there is very small leg room inside and Cabin size is very small (thanks to GC and lower height of car).
They could have mounted rear seat on rail so that we could have adjusted leg space/trunk space and also the rear back seats are fixed(no push/pull mechanism).
It looks like they are more interested to have fixed parcel tray.
Old 5th July 2012, 16:33   #89
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjeetnair View Post
11 Lakhs without the safety features is not worth it. With speeds and traffic growing steadily, it is best to buy a car spending 11 lakhs of hard earned money with all the safety features.

I am surprised why Renault could not have shaved the 16K from the ex-showroom Chennai price of RxL 85BHP Diesel. That too when their plant is so close to Chennai (Oragadam)
Old 5th July 2012, 16:38   #90
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, nice car and good pricing of the base variants. But the diesel top end is a bit too expensive. It does not have too many striking features to talk about. The front end is ugly but the rear three quarter is great. A.S.S. is a suspect.

It all boils down to - @ 12.5-13 Lacs OTR, why buy this compact 108 bhp Duster when there are better options in the market?

Pricing of the diesel should have been less by around 1.5 Lacs IMHO.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed