Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2012, 08:48   #211
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Launch Report

The quality of interiors are definitely poor, but then the Duster was never designed to have good interiors, the whole premise of the car is based on a different dynamics, with value being on top.

But pricing creates its own expectations, even then I would probably not have cancelled my booking even though I feel its 50k higher were it not for the extremely dubious decision not to offer airbags on RXL 110, and worse not to have it also as an option.

Given its priced lower everywhere else and better specced with disk brakes all round, options for ESP , the Indian consumer once again gets shortchanged. If you offer value people will naturally overlook some things, like western consumers do when they opt for Duster.

When you opt for a RXZ you are giving up pretty important things like independent rear suspension, disk brakes all round, climate control, gizmos galore, fantastic interior space, better interior build quality and plastics and high speed stability that you would get with an XUV base version.

Ultimately a car like Duster is not like the Yeti which by its quality, features and price limits itself to a relatively small market share, the Duster is a mass volume car and the current pricing its not going to hit its full potential, most likely the 85 variants will move, with a minority opting for the 110s.

For those going to see the car today a couple of things to zero in on:

1. Touch the console borders - its shiny, cheap and flexes nastily
2. The knobs and switches are budget hatchback quality
2. Look at the doors and engine bay very carefully, notice the complete absence of insulation, this is going to show up as significant wind noise at speeds over 100 - a usual Duster complaint in most countries.
3. Look at the door build quality, the handles, the feel, all surprisingly flimsy.
4. Look at the area between the front seats, and the overall finish on exposed metal and plastic parts all over the car. It is overall not finished well.
5. Largish folks are going to have issues with space and comfort front and rear.

Now the positives, extremely good ride quality, with a robust, proven and frugal 1.5 engine. The suspension is sorted and body roll is not felt as much as you would on the Safari or Scorpio and unlike those cars this will do 150 without too much drama save the wind noise. The interiors and superficial bits may age badly but overall the car is designed to be abused and will last.

The Duster is a very sensible car and I do admire the back to basics, no nonsense utilitarian credentials, but at 50-75k less. And even that I would have overlooked with airbags on the RXL 110. But at the RXZ price I would opt for the XUV or dip into the tasty discounts Yeti is currently offering.

Last edited by raul : 7th July 2012 at 08:51.
raul is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 08:52   #212
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul

For those going to see the car today a couple of things to zero in on:

1. Touch the console borders - its shiny, cheap and flexes nastily
2. The knobs and switches are budget hatchback quality
2. Look at the doors and engine bay very carefully, notice the complete absence of insulation, this is going to show up as significant wind noise at speeds over 100 - a usual Duster complaint in most countries.
3. Look at the door build quality, the handles, the feel, all surprisingly flimsy.
4. Look at the area between the front seats, and the overall finish on exposed metal and plastic parts all over the car. It is overall not finished well.
5. Largish folks are going to have issues with space and comfort front and rear.

Now the positives, extremely good ride quality, with a robust, proven and frugal 1.5 engine. The suspension is sorted and body roll is not felt as much as you would on the Safari or Scorpio and unlike those cars this will do 150 without too much drama save the wind noise. The interiors and superficial bits may age badly but overall the car is designed to be abused and will last.

The Duster is a very sensible car and I do admire the back to basics, no nonsense utilitarian credentials, but at 50-75k less. And even that I would have overlooked with airbags on the RXL 110. But at the RXZ price I would opt for the XUV or dip into the tasty discounts Yeti is currently offering.
Excellent and balanced point of view as a potential consumer! Very good post thank you!
My submission here is that many of our countrymen who have less evolved needs and wants, will just plonk their cash down. This is a good recipe for sales success.
Our expectations are higher than the average, hence perhaps we need to live with a little disappointment on the Duster.
And a resounding yes, you, with your specific needs and wants and aspirations as a consumer should certainly consider the delicious discounts on offer for a Yeti and think that process through for yourself.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 7th July 2012 at 08:54.
Old 7th July 2012, 09:59   #213
BHPian

Has anyone test driven the 85hp version anywhere in the country ?
Old 7th July 2012, 10:49   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I believe there will be a lot of people up in the hills etc, who would seriously consider this in lieu of the Scorp Safari duo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Personally i would any day go for Duster over Scorpio/Safari which are its direct competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
and when compared to Scorpio/Safari, Duster wins straight with better FE,Brand value,ride quality,handling,interior quality,city drivability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
which is likely better than the Safari/Scorpio duo in terms of dynamics and refinement, yet significantly cheaper when compared to Safari's 12.4 L and Scorpio's 10.78 L (both ex-showroom B'lore for the ABS-equipped, 'air-bagged', BS 4 versions) asking price.
At any rate, I don't see the interiors of either the Safari or the Scorpio as superior to the Duster's as their prices suggest they should be.
Interesting twist that even Renault might not have expected! Come-on Renault, not just sedans at your radar now. After all some of us are accepting that.

But from day-1, I was considering this as a substitute for the Lx versions of Scorpio/Safari. To give more clarity, someone like me, who is in the market for a Scorpio/Safari Lx can definitely consider the dCi RxE provided you can adjust with the 5-seats and a relatively thin Service Network (Yes. I mean 5 seats; not 4 since RxE is not having the luxury/disturbance of that AC vent ). I am not talking about the higher variants here. But to me, RxE seems to be priced okay (not VFM though).

I know there is a compromise on safety which is not good, But still if Thars/Boleros/Scorpio Lxs/Safari Lxs can fly here, why not the RxE too. After all it got an Immobilizer and better brakes (? don't they).

Will I buy one? : Well probably yes (based on the performance of 85 Bhp motor). I have a lot of expectation from this variant based on the TD of Nissan Sunny somoetime back.

I am yet to see one in flesh. Waiting for the RxE to hit showrooms. Hope I can live with the interiors (why not if I can with a Bolero or a Thar!).

What I am going to miss? : 4x4 and ABS

About the jump/child seats at boot : Great Idea! Idea of the Month atleast! Now imagining how I am going to put my 3 Yr old chap there. Suggest me, which is better; through the boot opening or over the rear seats? Will I do that? Definitely "NO". Why because, he is already a rebel and I don't want an enemy at my home!

Now I am repeating the questions : Did anyone got a chance to TD an 85 Bhp? Can we have some interior pictures of RxE? Just wanted to see the black theme which I prefer over others.

Note : All are my personal views and nothing intentional against anyone!
novice29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 10:52   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Excellent & balanced review from a customer point of view, as I read all the views I find myself tilting more to the XUV but since I have not personally experienced any of these vehicles will keep the options open
Old 7th July 2012, 11:18   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Has anyone test driven the 85hp version anywhere in the country ?
Doesn't look like but should not be too far off the Sunny - Both GTO & Rehaan have commented very favourably as per http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2832173
Old 7th July 2012, 12:08   #217

Thank you Parrys for sharing such kind of nice pics. Duster in reality looks what its pictures have been promising; Premium, Stylish Compact SUV.

Last edited by GTO : 10th July 2012 at 13:31. Reason: Removing FONT tags
Old 7th July 2012, 12:25   #218
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice29 View Post
Interesting twist that even Renault might not have expected! Come-on Renault, not just sedans at your radar now. After all some of us are accepting that.

But from day-1, I was considering this as a substitute for the Lx versions of Scorpio/Safari. To give more clarity, someone like me, who is in the market for a Scorpio/Safari Lx can definitely consider the dCi RxE provided you can adjust am yet to see one in flesh. Waiting for the RxE to hit showrooms. Hope I can live with the interiors (why not if I can with a Bolero or a Thar!).

What I am going to miss? : 4x4 and ABS

About the jump/child seats at boot : Great Idea! Idea of the Month atleast! Now imagining how I am going to put my 3 Yr old chap there. Suggest me, which is better; through the boot opening or over the rear seats? Will I do that? Definitely "NO". Why because, he is already a rebel and I don't want an enemy at my home!

Now I am repeating the questions : Did anyone got a chance to TD an 85 Bhp? Can we have some interior pictures of RxE? Just wanted to see the black theme which I prefer over others.

I think you would do well to consider the Duster. You will not be disappointed with it if you are considering a Bolero or Scorpio - Indeed you will be pleasantly surprised as it is a far more modern vehicle, with much better ergonomics, decent quality insides and being a monocoque, far superior handling and drivability.

Your little boy should ideally sit in a car seat in the second row.

The last row jump seat business just doesn't cut it in my opinion, for a vehicle like the Duster.

Let the political party worker type creatures fit these last row jump seats and transport their goons etc.

Let us private buyer types take greater care of our families by not asking someone to sit in the last jump seats!

After all our families and friends and other civilized folk are more important than some scummy dirty politico goon, what say?
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 12:57   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I think you would do well to consider the Duster.
The last row jump seat business just doesn't cut it in my opinion, for a vehicle like the Duster.
Let the political party worker type creatures fit these last row jump seats and transport their goons etc.
Let us private buyer types take greater care of our families by not asking someone to sit in the last jump seats!
After all our families and friends and other civilized folk are more important than some scummy dirty politico goon, what say?
Very well said to sum up the competition it has from the Scorpio's and Safari's.
As per as VFM goes, even the old Tavera Neo(top model) at 10L five years back was not VFM too. With basic leaf spring suspension, simple turbo DI (Safari and Scorpio's had crdi then) engine, basic interiors, I could not justify the cost 5 years back.
But after owning all three at one point of time, I would conclude Tavera to be leagues ahead of the other two in terms of mental peace, reliability and niggles. Not once in the last five years (Tavera clocking 98K km plus) did I have to go to the workshop with a complain. Only thing that got changed were the lubricants and filters.
I have a gut feeling, the Duster would do just that, weigh VFM with mental peace, reliability and tension free driving comfort for years rather than VFM with plush interiors and gizmos but having to visit the workshop every month.
Old 7th July 2012, 12:59   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I just hope Nissan does a better job white cross badging the Duster.
Is there Nissan launch of Duster in the Pipeline?
Old 7th July 2012, 13:00   #221
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r

Is there Nissan launch of Duster in the Pipeline?
Nissan doesn't have a similar or equivalent product in its line up. The closest would be the Qashqai which is actually from a segment or so higher and the Juke, which is a segment or so lower.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 13:35   #222
BHPian

My thoughts on the pricing vs quality vs expectations.
Duster is a very rugged SUV and that is it's USP and that is the only reason I booked it. Just because it is a Front wheel drive does not change the fact that the suspension was designed to take on any type of road or even no roads. It is for the first time in India where we can say that we have a vehicle which was designed to be a reasonably good performer in all terrains. I mean, if you were to compare the performance of the Duster on a highway with a Linea or a Vento, you can rate it's comparison level at 75% in ride quality and comfort. If you were to compare the performance of the Duster on a potholed filled roads with a Linea or a Vento, you can rate it's comparison level at 300% in ride quality and comfort.If you were to compare the performance of the Duster on a non-existent boulder filled road with a Linea or a Vento, it's incomparable.
Macho ruggedness is not real ruggedness. I once had a bolero, and going to my estate surrounded by reserve forests, on downhill descent, the crank case used to regularly scrape against the road. Why? It's ground clearance is 180mm. Duster GC is 205mm. And before anybody says that bolero is spring leaf based suspension, crank case is in front. My point is that the duster is a good vehicle with a go anywhere attitude ingrained in it's gene, and yes it can put up with a lot of abuse.
My only gripe is the amount of sincerity Renault is showing to the indian market. If only ABS with EBD had been given to all variants and the On road cost proportionally increased, I personally would have felt more confident with Renault. RXE with ABS alone would have cost you less than 10L on road, anywhere in India and that would have been a killer deal, as only the Ertiga gives you ABS at 9L on road, and that is a Mini MUV.
Safari and scorpio were designed a decade ago, and comparing that to Duster on interiors alone is a little bit over the Top.(My personal opinion)
Old 7th July 2012, 13:36   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice29 View Post

I am yet to see one in flesh. Waiting for the RxE to hit showrooms. Hope I can live with the interiors (why not if I can with a Bolero or a Thar!).

The interiors are way too better than one in Tata/Mahindra. They don't look European but not horrible.I would say the quality in inconsistent.
For example the buttons of Power windows,Music system, the beige plastic on dash looks good but the steering mounted audio controls,Roof lamp,headlamp leveling,seat height adjuster looks awfully cheap.
I suggest you consider the RXL 110 PS version. There are no offers now, but with time some good offers and i bet RXL 110 is worth it.

I havent driven 85PS one, but going by engine ratings i feel it would do good in city and some extent on highway. But definitely would struggle with load on hilly roads ,off roading(if you intend to ).
Also the cruising speed is going to be less compared to 110 which means you have to keep pushing the car hard there by affecting FE.
Old 7th July 2012, 13:52   #224
BHPian

Went to the Gurgaon dealership today.

Me: I want to take a test drive of the duster.
Salesman (S): Test drive is not available. Chalu nahi hua.
M: Kab hoga?
S: 5 din baad
M: Can I book a test drive for next weekend?
S: No
M: Can I come over and get a TD?
S: Not sure
M: Can you give me a brochure / price list
S: No, khatam ho gaya
M: Can I take a look at least?
S: Udhar hai, dekh lijiye
I go there. There is a crowd waiting to touch, feel and get inside the car like visiting Tirupati. After standing in the queue, you are given a minute to sit inside the car and then ushered out after attaining "moksha".

My take: dealers have already started acting pricey, after one "potential" success. Compare that with XUV - huge difference in dealers' behaviour.

And after this experience, we are wondering, if this is the pre sales behaviour what will be the service experience?
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 13:56   #225

Folks member since long but yet new, so need some advice. I have a Ford Fusion 1.6 ltr Petrol April 2008 model. Used just 32000 Kms, single driver, excellent condition, love it for its heavy feel, safety and drive comfort. Fusion is now withdrawn from market so looking at the Renault Duster as an option. Any suggestions on this move when comparing the 2 cars ? What kind of price tradein can I get on the Fusion ? Given my rather limited driving would a diesel car be worth it if not driven regularly/ kept idle for days on end.? Appreciate advice. Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed