Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2012, 21:03   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Launch Report

Checked out the Duster yday. The front end is definetly well designed to give that BIG SUV feel but beyond that it doesnt carry that image to the sides or the absolutely average rear.

but in this market which is starved for such cars, this is a good launch. I personally would pick the RXE 85BHP for below reasons

1) best VFM
2) you save some cash to slightly spruce up the looks - alloys, fatter tyres, maybe roof mounted lights
3) better driveablity
4) better FE
5) I HATE BEIGE !!

overall good effort by Renault in the context of the Indian market.
As a stand alone product - one always keep cribbing that it could have been BETTER, CHEAPER ETC but i dont think that makes any difference.
Old 7th July 2012, 21:22   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I personally would pick the RXE 85BHP for below reasons

1) best VFM
2) you save some cash to slightly spruce up the looks - alloys, fatter tyres, maybe roof mounted lights
3)
This is definitely , yet I feel compelled to make a humble appeal to anyone making a purchase - PLEASE don't sacrifice safety for yourself and for others (ABS & Airbags) in order to budget that money for cosmetic mods! I personally feel safety is an obligation to others and to oneself. RXL(O) + mods is another matter, though.

Last edited by skandyhere : 7th July 2012 at 21:25.
skandyhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 21:37   #243
Senior - BHPian

Went to check out the car today. No TD in Calcutta yet.

A white RXZ 110 was on display.

In short I was impressed. It seems this car is built to cater to some specific requirements which it addresses perfectly. A perfect balance for city and highways in terms of size, space, engine, gc ...

Having read the reports here, I entered the car with consternation .. but I was mildly surprised. Yes it of course does not have 12L interiors, but hey it's not that bad ! I'd easily be able to live with it, keeping in mind the positives that have been pointed out by many.

If I were to nitpick, the only concerns would be:
a) Unknown Renault A/S/S
b) Interiors not plush
c) Given the price, Airbags/ABS should have been standard in the RXL variants too.

Thats about it !

But then, no car meets all requirements. So if I were in the market, I'd seriously consider a RXL 85 (option) or RXL 110 (if it has at least the driver airbag - I was told there wasn't).

Some snaps ...
The Kolkata price list. Now this apparently will be changed/tweaked, and is not the final one they said. A new list will arrive shortly. Meanwhile, this is to give an idea.

Note the scribble beside the RXL 85 (O). It says '2nd lot'. They indicated that the 'Option' cars will not be shipped in the first lot. So deliveries of such cars, if booked now, will probably take longer than the standard models.

Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-duster-1.jpg

Very very handsome looks. Loved it.

Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-duster-2.jpg

The battery !
Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-duster-3.jpg

Huuge boot. The hatch door feels pretty solid. So does the bonnet. The doors are relatively tinnier.

Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-duster-4.jpg

Spare is a full size alloy !
Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-duster-5.jpg

Underbody from the rear end. I suspect that this is where the money saved on the interiors, has been spent ! If so, I'd stay quite happy with the interiors. I'd rather have strong underpinnings in a car of this sort.

Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-duster-6.jpg

Another underbody shot from the rear.
Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-duster-7.jpg

Underbody from the front.
Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-duster-8.jpg

Excited enough to look forward to a test drive !!

Last edited by shuvc : 7th July 2012 at 21:42.
shuvc is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 22:10   #244

Went Renault Cochin today, there was a long que for test drive and a heavy traffic block in front of the the showroom. Booked RXL option pack White colour. Sales executive promised the delivery by the end of August or maximum by first week of September.
Old 7th July 2012, 22:28   #245
Senior - BHPian

I checked out Duster today, I did not test drive the vehicle. This car seems to be a success based on the rush at the showroom.

1. The interior is not as bad as portrayed here. It is decent for a SUV.
2. The switches and plastic quality is not upto the mark.
3. Plastic door handle is an eyesore in white colour on the brown vehicle. It would fade or crack soon.
4. The driving position is good for me (I am 6' 2" tall)with the seats pushed all the way back. The rear space at this setting is just adequate.
5. Under thigh support is just decent for my height, but not bad as reported here.
6. Boot is HUGE. They should have used some boot space for rear passengers.
7. My wife was not at all impressed with the brown Duster in the showroom. We saw a white Duster while coming back and both of us liked it.
8. The vehicle looks awesome from front, good from side and average from rear.
9. The big wheels suit the rugged looks of the SUV.

I am impressed with the vehicle. I think the price justifies what is being offered. If I am in market for a SUV now, I will definitely consider Duster. The engine is a proven workhorse, decent space for a 5 seater, huge boot, reportedly good ride quality, decent power, good GC and good fuel efficiency. It is more practical for city use than the big SUVs.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 7th July 2012 at 22:40.
Old 7th July 2012, 23:16   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Went to the Gurgaon dealership today.

Me: I want to take a test drive of the duster.
Salesman (S): Test drive is not available. Chalu nahi hua.
M: Kab hoga?
S: 5 din baad
M: Can I book a test drive for next weekend?
S: No
M: Can I come over and get a TD?
S: Not sure
M: Can you give me a brochure / price list
S: No, khatam ho gaya
M: Can I take a look at least?
S: Udhar hai, dekh lijiye
I go there. There is a crowd waiting to touch, feel and get inside the car like visiting Tirupati. After standing in the queue, you are given a minute to sit inside the car and then ushered out after attaining "moksha".

My take: dealers have already started acting pricey, after one "potential" success. Compare that with XUV - huge difference in dealers' behaviour.

And after this experience, we are wondering, if this is the pre sales behaviour what will be the service experience?
Today I went to see the much waited Duster at Renault Thane showroom. I went there at 10:30 am, straightway went to the car, had a close look on it. Nobody bothered to ask me if I need any help. Even I could not fathom out in that over-crowded small showroom - who are from dealer's side. Because, showroom people doesn't have uniform or any badge. At around 11 am I enquired about Test Drive to the lady sitting in the reception - she asked me to fill up the form, my TD serial no. was 8. After waitng for 1 hr, at 12 noon I want to the front desk asked about my turn for TD. The person sitting there informed it will take another half an hour because the only TD car has gone for fuel. At 12:30 pm I asked again and they told next is my turn. When the car came, some people waiting out side the showroom jumped into the car. I told the showroom person - this is my turn. Then they requested a visitor to take the TD in next turn and accommodated me in the car with another two visitors. We all got only a km to drive the vehicle (110 bp diesel).

My take on Duster - Look wise Daster is a looker. AC is very good. Excellent insulation of engine compartment, you can not make out it is a Diesel vehicle (I drive a Ritz VDi). Felt clutch is hard than my Ritz. Due to the odd placement of AC vent for rear passenger, sitting on the middle of the back seat is not at all comfortable. I drove the car in Wagbill road, inside Hiranandani Estate (a worst patch) with 5 full size person sitting inside, the car just glide over the potholes - impressive.

As I drove the car for less than 1 km, I can not comment on drivability. But one thing for sure - first I disappointed with the price - Diesel RXZ on road (Thane) - INR 1,360,971. More than that I got disappointed with the ignorance and etiquettes of the Renault showroom (I was there for 2 hrs nobody even bother to offer a glass of water!!). Thane Reanult showroom is on my way home I used to see the people over there used to sit idle and makhee martatha, and they have absolutly no idea how to handle such a huge crowd.

I agree with Chinkara - Renault should train there showroom people how to handle a prospective buyer. Before buying I would difinitly think over it twice.

Last edited by gaddiwale : 7th July 2012 at 23:40.
Old 7th July 2012, 23:23   #247
BHPian

This thread has given me some wonderful insight, can anyone here compare the underthigh support between the Fortuner and Duster for me please. I am very curious about this and will only return post Diwali so your help will quell my curiosity. Oh and if you don't mind please do mention your height.
Thanks.
Old 7th July 2012, 23:24   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
More than that I got disappointed with the ignorance and etiquettes of the Renault showroom (I was there for 2 hrs nobody even bother to offer a glass of water!!). Thane Reanult showroom is on my way home I used to see the people over there used to sit idle and makhee martatha, and they have absolutly no idea how to handle such a huge crowd.
Sorry to hear this, but I had a completely contrary experience at Renault Palace Orchards, Bangalore. They were well prepared on the sales and test drive departments. They had 3 test drive vehicles (all 110PS). Uniforms made it easy to approach them and they were keen on helping.
Unfortunately the number of people there for test drive was high. As a result getting a proper test drive was difficult.
Sorry to go .
Old 8th July 2012, 00:31   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
In short I was impressed. It seems this car is built to cater to some specific requirements which it addresses perfectly. A perfect balance for city and highways in terms of size, space, engine, gc ...

Having read the reports here, I entered the car with consternation .. but I was mildly surprised. Yes it of course does not have 12L interiors, but hey it's not that bad ! I'd easily be able to live with it, keeping in mind the positives that have been pointed out by many.

If I were to nitpick, the only concerns would be:
a) Unknown Renault A/S/S
b) Interiors not plush
c) Given the price, Airbags/ABS should have been standard in the RXL variants too.

Thats about it !

But then, no car meets all requirements. So if I were in the market, I'd seriously consider a RXL 85 (option) or RXL 110 (if it has at least the driver airbag - I was told there wasn't).

Some snaps ...
The Kolkata price list. Now this apparently will be changed/tweaked, and is not the final one they said. A new list will arrive shortly. Meanwhile, this is to give an idea.

Note the scribble beside the RXL 85 (O). It says '2nd lot'. They indicated that the 'Option' cars will not be shipped in the first lot. So deliveries of such cars, if booked now, will probably take longer than the standard models.

Excited enough to look forward to a test drive !!
Thanks for sharing unseen pictures (Read Underbody).

Guys i again went to Renault Showroom with Dad today.
Dad is totally impressed, so i am.
Most likely will book it,only confusion is which variant to go for.
I am waiting for test drive,which could take 2 weeks & hopefully by then TBhp review will be published.
I am going for Duster, because it meet all my requirement which are
1. A comfortable 5 Seater.
2. Huge boot space.
3. Highway trips with family.
4. I have grown up admiring SUV's, therefore its in the blood u can say.
5. I am into automobile spare parts business.Usually made trips to off road places or places with bad roads i would say.
6. Dad is Jeep lover.So he wants a vehicle with higher driving position.His term for Suv is Jeep.
7.Scorpio & Safari are pain driving in the city.
8.This would be an additional buy therefore will not abused.

Now my only confusion is which variant to go.
I am not going for higher variant for sure.
@Mods: It would be great help for the prospect buyer,if poll is added regarding which variant to go for.

Attaching price list of Duster for Delhi.
Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-duster-pl-delhi.jpg
h.s.r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2012, 00:32   #250
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure why the interiors are so important. I feel this vehicle would do well. If the Fortuner at that price point can sell with spartan interiors - perhaps worse than the Duster's (I haven't seen the Duster), why not the Renault?

My only crib is about the non-availability of 4X4.

This would be a great car for adventurous road trips with family. 205mm is good enough for most roads and trails. As long as Renault hasn't compromised on toughness for the Indian market e.g. by using a weaker suspension etc.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 8th July 2012 at 00:38.
nilanjanray is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2012, 01:10   #251
Team-BHP Support

The black Duster in the ad looks awesome. Though not big, it gives the feeling of a butch SUV. But saying that, it is good that I did not wait for this vehicle and instead got a Bolero. I know that there is no comparison between the two, but lack of 4x4 seems to be a deal breaker for me.
Old 8th July 2012, 01:19   #252

I test drove the Duster (110 bhp) on the day of the launch in Bangalore.
What I liked:

1. The ride was comfortable with the duster taking the potholes without rocking the 5 passengers inside

2. Smart looks. Though it is not as tall as other SUVs.

3. Good ground clearance so that one need not worry about those absurd speed breakers in the city.

4. Really a huge boot space

5. Refined engine ( I drive i20 diesel).

What I did not like:

1. In the insides it is more like a hatchback space (both front and rear)

2. I had to sit at the back in the middle of two other passengers and found that the rear A/C unit is such a pain. It takes away the space/comfort for that unlucky person

3. The interiors do not feel premium at all what with rear view mirror adjust near the parking brake and the door lock/unlock button below the stereo. I did not even like the A/C knobs and the air mode selection button too. I felt it is bare minimum.

4. I am 5 feet 11 inches tall and my shoulders were popping out of the driver seat without support. My i20 supports my shoulders well. I am not sure whether it will be a issue in Duster for many but for me the discomfort was evident.

5. The second gear was very sluggish

The only reason I may go for the Duster will be for following reasons: High ground clearance, easy to get in/out and comfortable ride.

I have already booked a dezire ZDI which is not bad either but looks more plush in the inside. I have to wait till September for the delivery meanwhile I will wait and watch this space for reviews on Duster 85 bhp.
chethaktk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2012, 05:18   #253
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie
This thread has given me some wonderful insight, can anyone here compare the underthigh support between the Fortuner and Duster for me please. I am very curious about this and will only return post Diwali so your help will quell my curiosity. Oh and if you don't mind please do mention your height.
Thanks.
Fortuner is slightly better in the driver and front passenger seat than the Duster is. But in terms of real comfort the Yeti pips both these hands down. I am 6 feet 2 inches tall with rather long legs. Under thigh support is desperately important for me. Thing is if the Duster comes with only two airbags, one can spend money on the front seats to bolster them better and make them snugger and more comfortable. One can extend the bottom frame and hence enhance under thigh support.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 8th July 2012 at 05:38.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2012, 08:49   #254
Senior - BHPian

Just sat in a RAV4 and was thinking why Renault couldn't make the second row of seats to slide. This would help in having more leg-room if there isn't going to be enough luggage to fill the boot.

On the other hand, if Toyota decide to bring the RAV4 to India and stick the D4D in it. I think it will obliterate the competition
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2012, 09:38   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r

Is there Nissan launch of Duster in the Pipeline?
I believe yes, got this information from a Renault employee. However it will be a premium offering, not competing with duster.
mTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks