Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2012, 16:41   #316
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Launch Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitinz View Post
I would have preferred 110 PS RXL , had it offered ABS but had to go for 85 PS with options

Could not compromise on Safety (ABS) otherwise all other Cosmetic Enhancements including Alloys can be bought from After Market but safety Gadgets need to be Company Fitted

Cheers
Hey dude, 110 PS RxL comes with ABS man. That's what I even mentioned earlier. The only thing missing from safety perspective is Airbags. Please check the Renault website.
Old 9th July 2012, 16:58   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
Yeah man, Petrol RxL w/o ABS is the party pooper otherwise I would had surely gone for it over diesel only if its more refined than diesel. Only TD will tell. Will surely update on the TD experience of petrol.

Its black for RxE, body coloured for RxL (inc option pack) and chrome for RxZ.

Logically speaking, another good option would be 110 PS RxL. At the same price of 85 PS RxL (O), you get all features of 85 PS RxL + 110 engine + ABS. The only thing you miss out on is Airbags and some cosmetic enhancements like Alloys.
Quote:
Hey dude, 110 PS RxL comes with ABS man. That's what I even mentioned earlier. The only thing missing from safety perspective is Airbags. Please check the Renault website.
My Bad , wanted to mention Airbags only !!!
Old 9th July 2012, 17:15   #318
BHPian

Quote:
My Bad , wanted to mention Airbags only !!!
Yeah, at the same price of 85 PS engine you will get ABS but no Airbags but at the same time a higher spec engine, 110 PS. Seems like a good alternative deal to me for anybody going for 85 PS RxL (O).
Old 9th July 2012, 17:27   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely, bang on!!! Well said. Couldn't agree with you more. I must have travelled on the very same road innumerable times but never knew a Renault showroom existed there Come Duster and we have a mela going everyday at the showroom. I am sure many people must have come to known about Fluence/Pulse/Koleos only after coming to the showroom to take a look at the Duster. As you rightly said, Renault must take full advantage of this situation.
Very true, the scene outside the Renault Showroom on the Outer Ring Road was nothing short of a mela!! I stood in a small queue to just sit in the driver's seat last Friday!! can you believe that!! the showroom was thronged with people from all age groups!

However, I was lucky enough to get a test drive and must say I am mighty impressed with this machine!! Though space is just not anywhere near the Logan , it still suffices. One thing I really, really loved was the way the car behaved on a really bad patch (the service road opposite to the Volkswagen). showroom). There were five people in the car and I almost got the impression of gliding over the bad road! What a suspension this car has! 5/5 for the suspension!
Old 9th July 2012, 17:40   #320
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
The 85 RXL +option pack may just turn out to be the best selling Duster variant. But first, they need to hurry up and get some 85 bhp TD vehicles!

Does the RXL (with or without the option pack) get silver ORVM & door handles or body coloured ones?
Thats the good part ! You get body coloured mirrors for RXL and NOT the Chrome satin.
You also get black coloured door handles, and not the chrome satin one!

(I am referring to option pack. Even according to me that would be the best seller.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
The on-board trip-computer (MID) also is only available on the 110 RXZ. The 6-speed gearbox too.
I see at the Renault site that all the trims come with an on-board trip computer.
Yes 6 speed is available only on 110 bhp versions.

Last edited by ampere : 9th July 2012 at 18:01.
Old 9th July 2012, 18:23   #321
BHPian

i am happy after taking the test drive of 110 rxl. had inough power. since 85 bhp option pack comes with airbag and 110 does not have that, im planning to change my booking from 110 to 85. can anyone suggust me because 85 is not available for test drive. i have to decide fast as my vehicle is supposed to come in 10 days.
what i want to know is that is 85 bhp ok with power. im ready to compromise airbag, if 110 is really different from 85 on power. since 110 has ebd abs and brake assist, the vehicle could stop well in control from 140. which i just tried. not even a bit sideways, just stops like sedan. will the 25 extra bhp evident..? some were telling that 85 was good to drive..
Old 9th July 2012, 18:51   #322
Senior - BHPian

Finally, could able to see the car in person. Following are my 2 cents:

1. Its an overgrown hatch, period. Dont even dare to call it a SUV.
2. The space inside is really at premium. While I was seated at the rear seat, I could not even easily operate the power window button. This is due to my elbow touching rear seat while operating the button. Talk about space at rear !
3. Weird position for telephony and audio controls - Behind steering wheel.
4. Boot is HUGE ! but would mostly be unused most of the time. Rear bench space is minimal, usually used most of the times!
5. Rear AC is a pity design.
6. I liked the ground clearance and some what the go-anywhere attitude of the car
7. The plastic quality is OK, comparable to my FIAT Punto, and BTW, people call FIAT interiors bad !!

Did not wait for test drive since my number was down the list with an hour waiting. Overall, as everybody says, the pricing should have been 70-1L cheaper across ALL variants.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2012, 19:13   #323
BHPian

Excellent write-up! I was expecting the Duster to be launched in an AWD guise as well but according to Autocar, this version won't make it to India until 2013. And at 7.5 lakhs as MSRP, I think it is a package hard to resist considering the high seating position at the price of Sedan.

Well, Let's see how the market reacts to this another fish in the ocean!

S@ndy
Old 9th July 2012, 20:10   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The solution to that is get the 85 RXL version with option. You get all the premium top end features without the AC vent.
That is I hope if you are OK with 85.

(Rear AC is available only for RXZ versions)
I meant Rear AC vent is 'not' a problem for us. We rarely carry a 5th passenger and even if we carry it is not all that bad for the 5th person - not any worse than equally priced sedans. We'll find use for that 6th gear more often during those weekend trips - so it has got to be the 110 bhp and according the the mags in gear accelaration is better in 110 bhp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
Is the active 4x2 available easily. It isn't in hyd. The best u can hope for the yeti 4x2 ambient 2012 model in blr is 17.4 including Corp discount
Active 4X2 is not being manufactured according to the Bangalore dealer. The cheapest Yeti I could get here is the Ambient 4 X 2 - The best ex-showroom price + extended warranty is about 13.7 lakhs. We are talking about easily more than 3+ lacs on road difference. Is it VFM at 3+ lacs - definitely yes for the ESP, traction control and lot of good stuff. It really depends on whether the budget can be stretched or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEN-TWEEL View Post
i have to decide fast as my vehicle is supposed to come in 10 days.
what i want to know is that is 85 bhp ok with power. im ready to compromise airbag, if 110 is really different from 85 on power. since 110 has ebd abs and brake assist, the vehicle could stop well in control from 140. which i just tried. not even a bit sideways, just stops like sedan. will the 25 extra bhp evident..? some were telling that 85 was good to drive..
Buy 85 bhp if you don't want that 6th gear and need extra safety. Safety vs power/6th gear I would vote for safety. I too read reviews that 85 has no turbo lag. Should be good to drive inside the city. But cant say anything unless you drive the vehicle yourself.

Last edited by idofsuresh : 9th July 2012 at 20:12.
idofsuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2012, 20:22   #325
BHPian

Apologize if this has been answered somewhere above in the thread.

Is there an option to go for the Diesel 85 PS RxL and opt for only ABS + Airbags ?
Or at least only for ABS ?

Other than these 2 I see all the other additional features are all in-significant ones which you can always get aftermarket.
Old 9th July 2012, 20:34   #326
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post
I meant Rear AC vent is 'not' a problem for us. We rarely carry a 5th passenger and even if we carry it is not all that bad for the 5th person - not any worse than equally priced sedans. We'll find use for that 6th gear more often during those weekend trips - so it has got to be the 110 bhp and according the the mags in gear accelaration is better in 110 bhp.
Sorry I read it the other way. But I found AC quite annoying. Though as you said even I found seating quite comfortable, once you get away with the AC vent. To me city drivability is a greater priority than the highway. Hence the 85bhp version appeals much more.

Also I like to cruise on the highways. So from that point of view also, I think 85bhp on tap should be apt. In that process one can also get rid of the AC vent!
Old 9th July 2012, 20:47   #327
BHPian

Had a quick dekkho at the vehicle today evening. There was quite a crowd so could not do a thourough seating test.

My observations:-

Front passenger seat ergonomics is pretty good. Rear Seat space is ok but not anywhere as comfortable or roomy as the Fusion. Boot is extra large, so luggage for 4 should not be a problem.

The crowd was basically diesel mad and everybody was showing interest in the 85PS top end.

So Scorpio will take some hit till Mahindra drops its prices. Rather than going in for the 110ps diesel it makes more sense to go in for the W6 variant of the XIV500.

Anyways this segment wars will now heat up.
Old 9th July 2012, 20:55   #328
BHPian

I took a test drive on Saturday, got the 110 PS RXZ version.

Quick review comments:

- Music system did not feel great
- Height is almost as tall as wagon R
- Large wheel arches and protruding similar to the ritz back wheel (looks good anyways)
- 2nd gear seems to be really spacy like the new generation petrol cars which saves fuel average.
- Didnt feel like moving the gears beyond 4th, eventhough I took the speed to 80kmph. Probably would look for some one else's comment

Pros:
- Good suspension,
- under stressed engine even with 110PS ,
- very silent engine even at high revs & no cabin noise,
- Car like drive feeling,
- good cruiser,
- 6 forward gears,
- good seating for 5,
- rear A/C vent but position is not good,
- liked the volume control under the steering so that it is easy to mute even while turning and no need to search for it.
- underthing support on back seats is good.

Cons:
- TOO EXPENSIVE for higher end ,
- Bad plastics (check the front passenger seat dash...something can be easily pulled out),
- poor features,
- Not easy to fill air in the spare tyre- need spanner to release the tyre to bottom. None of the executives were sure how it works.
- steering response not that great..may be I was comparing to my ANHC EPS,
- seats feels like poor quality leather
- The silverish foot step on the sides are not metal, but just a plastic/fiber cladding like the bumpers. So I am not sure what will happen if some old person or a kid tries to stamp on it.
-Had troubles to adjust the seat heightening level. It is a metal piece and not a typical fiber covered handle
- No left hand rest which would be very useful while driving long time in the city traffic

Verdict: Wait for the next generation until Renault fixes the local suppliers to provide good quality unless you would like to buy the basic RXE model

In Bangalore the onroad price for RXZ with Option is Rs 14,01,131.
Breakup as follows:
Exshowroom - 1,135,102
Insurance - 40,986
Roadtax - 214196
Registration service charge-6900
Std accessories-3948

Minimum booking amount is 2.10 lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
At 12 lacs on road, i dont find it great VFM.
, for which Bangalore it is 14 lacs on road

The pricing seems to be done by some business amateur who does not seem to understand the Indian customers. Every model is higher up by 1 lac and options by 30K. i.e 85RXE is at 8lacs, 85RXL at 9 lacs, 110RXL at 10 lacs, 110RXZ is at 11 lacs( all ex-showroom). IMO, all the increases should have been around 40-50K ranges which would have reduced the 110RXZ price to 12 lacs on-road which can be considered as a a good price. Otherwise, at 14 lacs a high end Innova or XUV which can seat 7-8 adults with a truck load of additional features and better interiors is a better bet.

Last edited by Tommie : 9th July 2012 at 21:15.
Tommie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2012, 21:25   #329
Senior - BHPian

I think space wise Duster is bad, front seat pushed completely back only a tiny adult can fit behind the driver seat. and i dont know how 5 big/meduim built adults will fit in this car.

Power to weight ration seems to be good with 85ps and if once can get a 110 tht shud be good.

Only the catch is the "cost" factor...

Quote:
Sorry I read it the other way. But I found AC quite annoying. Though as you said even I found seating quite comfortable, once you get away with the AC vent. To me city drivability is a greater priority than the highway. Hence the 85bhp version appeals much more.

Also I like to cruise on the highways. So from that point of view also, I think 85bhp on tap should be apt. In that process one can also get rid of the AC vent!
Old 9th July 2012, 21:30   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Are you sure? As per the web site, the MID is available on all but the RXE trim.
Quote:
Onboard Computer is available across RXL & RXZ models Both 85 PS & 110 PS , however 6 Speed Gearbox is only on RXL & RXZ of 110 PS. This is as per Renault Website
Quote:
I see at the Renault site that all the trims come with an on-board trip computer. Yes 6 speed is available only on 110 bhp versions.
The on-board trip-computer only featuring on the 110 RXZ is something I learnt from the staff at the showroom in Kailash Colony, New Delhi. And, three of them corroborated that. They could've been mistaken, and I'll be happy if they were.

Now, my short take on the vehicle. Let me make it clear at the outset that I come from a lifestyle of driving extensively in-town as well as on the highways, across the length and breadth of the country. Often on inhospitable terrain too. I'm either alone or with my wife for company, whenever she can take off with me on my out-of-town escapades!

The external door handles are flimsy, the weight of the doors and the feel of the doors while closing are absolute deal-breakers (the absence of a rubber gasket is telling) - I have a thing for substantial feels - physical, palpable, abstract, call it what you may!! Absence of large bottle-holders is a worry too. The clutch is rather heavy, so now, absolutely no-go without an A/T option because my left knee is almost toast! A 4X4 system would also be desirable, more so since it's a fwd. The dashboard is okay, but not as inspiring as I'd have liked. Getting into the car, my head scraped against the roof - maybe with time one will learn to smartly sink in at the threshold, since the floor is sunken! My wife felt the same. I'm 5'10" and large structured, my wife is 5'7" and not slender either! So, dunno what small folks will think! Last, and significantly not least in my case, the absence of a blue in the colour line-up is disappointing, but that's just subjective.

I was very keen on the Duster, and I still think it's a very good vehicle. It's an honest, no-nonsense SUV and should prove to have a low cost of ownership with it's frugal 1.5dci engine (unless Renault are avaricious with the service costs - spares and labour). I find it very good-looking too; have always had a thing for the indicators-on-top-of-the-headlamps design as well (Lada Niva, Toyota Crown of the early 70s, etc.). It's muscular, with great boot-space, ground clearance and all. I have absolutely no problem with the rear AC tower either - once seated, I don't think it would be much of a bother for the middle passenger; however if Renault can move it a bit ahead that would be nice, and two vents should be nicer still. Having said that, I wonder how many occasions would we have of even four people travelling with us! When visitors come calling, and an airport or railway station run with luggage is required to be made, I'm sure space wouldn't be found falling short the way it already is, with a complement of five, or even more for such a trip. There are roof-rails, remember, on which I'm sure a Thule can be mounted with the boot liberated for additional humans, if required!

The bonnet and hatch feel substantial, and the strut-mounted hood is a nice feature. The stepney dropping down is nice too, as I dread a puncture on a fully laden vehicle where the stepney access is from inside the boot. Five alloys is nice too, although I wouldn't mind sacrificing that for some additional features elsewhere - like one-touch down, and up windows, auto-central locking after driving off, etc. if production cost over-run is that acute! An ACC and Steering-mounted instrument controls are wished for too. With the kind of volumes that the Duster is expected to bring in (domestic and RHD export), I don't see a cost-amortization problem for Renault to bring in these additional features at existing price-points, in a stepped-fashion according to the model. The Fluence is CKD and just a couple of lakhs, or maybe max three more on road than the Duster 110 RXZ, and has no volumes either, so there!

One thing the Duster has done is make us respect our Punto 1.3MJD Emotion Pack even more. And respect Fiat India too, for giving so much at the price. I might just go for the GC-upgrade package and live with just the Punto for some more time. She's beautiful, low-maintenance, feature-rich and solid. Everything my mother would've wished for, and I'm sure my wife's father too!

However, I'm optimistic that Renault will take the feedback from the market (I'm sure most of my points above would prove to be a common refrain) and upgrade the product in it's subsequent coming, with no increase in the bottom-line. I'll surely put my money in, then!
Prabal is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks