Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2012, 15:49   #361
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Launch Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maanspeedo View Post
Duster , is perhaps the most practical and VFM vehicle to have hit the Indian shors from An international brand in recent years .

It drives like a skoda, feels like a honda and beautiful like ( almsot ) an audi .

It gives you many options to choose from and space and everything else which everyone is cribbing about is almost perfect.
Maanspeedo, ur the Man What all you mentioned is absolutely bang on!!! If you see all my earlier posts, I have just been bragging about Duster like anything Just one look and I fell in love with this vehicle. In fact, I haven't even TD it yet. I hadn't felt the same even when I saw Ertiga or XUV. Seriously, a practical no-nonsense SUV is what Duster is.
Old 10th July 2012, 16:13   #362
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Launch Report : Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The 110 bhp isnt exactly cheap.
11.44, 12.30, 12.70 OTR prices for the 3 models of Duster 110bhp at Trivandrum.
Co-bro says its VFM for the price and there is noticable turbo lag for the 110bhp one. Maybe he found too much lag coz he was there to check Pulse ( he drives a Vdi).
For ‎85bhp its priced at 9.35,10.4 and 11.4 OTR.
For 110bhp its priced at 11.44, 12.30, 12.70 OTR

Hope this helps.
Old 10th July 2012, 16:14   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell
Maanspeedo, ur the Man What all you mentioned is absolutely bang on!!! If you see all my earlier posts, I have just been bragging about Duster like anything Just one look and I fell in love with this vehicle. In fact, I haven't even TD it yet. I hadn't felt the same even when I saw Ertiga or XUV. Seriously, a practical no-nonsense SUV is what Duster is.
I don't think you need anyone to validate your thoughts and feelings. Go with gut instinct. I still think it is an excellent urban brawler but I, personally, couldn't live with that kind of turbo lag on the 110ps engine option. 85 is the one to have...
Old 10th July 2012, 16:24   #364
BHPian

I saw one on the road.Liked it.Looks like Duster is gonna make it big!
Old 10th July 2012, 16:29   #365
BHPian

Spot on Maanspeedo!

Here is my experience, looking at the hype and hoping for an ace from Renault I paid 50K deposit and pre-booked the duster RxL 85 ps with the option pack on June 29th at hyderabad. In fact, on the day of the booking, the dealer gave me the chance to view the vehicle which was tucked away in the parking lot. Only select folks were being allowed a sneak peek and I considered myself lucky! As folks have mentioned, the car looks real good in person and I really liked the looks.
After the launch, I went back for a closer look and a test drive on 7th July. The only option available for the test drive was the RxZ 110ps, without the leather pack. Here are my views based on the test drive:
What I liked:
• Front/exterior view
• Nice Paint job
• Good looking arches and Tyres
• Fantastic Boot space
• Right Size (not too big and not too small) making it comfortable to drive in the city - size can be compared to a slightly taller X1
• Ride quality
• Suspension (took a small mud pathway in the KBR and it was a fabulous experience - was one of rides on a bumpy mud road)
• Good power at high RPM’s

What I did not like
• Bad idea of having ac unit in the middle (could they not have made this as an option)
• Not a proper five seater – can be called a 4 and a half seater. Also tall folks will not find the back seat comfortable if you have tall folks in the front
• Did not feel enough power/turbo lag at low rpms. Need to rev up the engine.
• Interiors and plastics are average
• Light feel to the doors and poor door handles – not sure if they are sturdy enough
• Piano black on the RxZ did not work for me. Preferred the wood trims on the RxZ option
• No test drive available of the 85 PS variant. I just don’t understand this at all. When they themselves expected most of the bookings for the 85PS option + Renault has been planning the launch for a while + they have been manufacturing these in their Chennai factory for a while, i was they don't understand why they don't have a test mule for the 85PS at any location.

Although I still would give the duster a thumbs up, my head did not allow me to plonk 13.5 L (in hyderabad) for the RxZ with leather, when I had the XUV W8 in my sight for another 2 L. I was not sure if paying 13.5 L for a 4*2 with a minimal service network made sense. I just did not see any VFM here. I just wish Renault had priced this slightly lower and raised the prices after a few months or stuffed all safety features into the base variants.
I went straight to the Mahindra showroom after my duster test drive and checked out the XUV again and this time it made much more sense to me. I know the niggles and other issues around XUV, but I honestly did not get any kind of premium feel or the raw power from the Duster. I liked the sheer size, power and fully loaded features of the XUV. I figured I could live with a few niggles (blame it on our famous chalta hai attitude)
Again this is my personal opinion and I am sure the duster will turn out to be a great workhorse and an excellent step up from a sedan, but I was not really looking for a sedan! I am sure the folks who are looking for a sedan would love this beast. Good luck to Renault! I hope they do well and also launch the 4*4. This force other manufacturers to seriously consider the 10-15L segment which presently has little or no options. Cheers!!
DoneAndDusted is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 16:42   #366
BHPian

I have started respecting MSIL for the pricing and features of the product they sell as Ertiga since i have understood the pricing of Duster.

The oodles of space thats on offer with the third row seats up and the second row seat pushed back , the color combination of the interiors (in comparison), the power to weight ratio , throttle response, refinement , the suspension all seem miles ahead of the comparison and to top it all the VFM price tag .

The only point where Duster scores is the road presence . I would anyday buy Ertiga than a Duster for the same reason for which people buy Innova over Scorpio .
.Albatross. is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 17:03   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
Spot on Maanspeedo!

Here is my experience...

...This force other manufacturers to seriously consider the 10-15L segment which presently has little or no options. Cheers!!

Good observations mate . Personal opinions are what differentiate us from each other , else the world would be a very boring place. Though I did not like XUV as much as many of my friends ,still I feel its a good buy if you can live with niggles and so man , congratulations
Enjoy .

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th July 2012 at 17:12. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire posts as it may inconvenience small-screen/mobile users. Thanks :)
Old 10th July 2012, 17:17   #368
BHPian

Been reading the duster thread right from day one and the vehicle does inspire you to take at least one look at it. It's butch style will sell well with us here in India. Though he vfm tag does not suit duster in the 110rxz guise, the 85 is vfm.

Need to visit he showroom and get a test drive for 85bhp before I plonk my money on it. I am sure it will be great.

Also official Tbhp review is needed ASAP to decide further, or might just wait for another year and purchase the 4x4 when it's launched in India (hopefully soon)
Old 10th July 2012, 17:17   #369
BHPian

Duster @ 130PS/283NM ??? Duster dCi 110 FAP - Diesel Chip Tuning By Pro-Bitz - More Power & Fuel Economy
Would make interesting project - may be once the 4 years of warranty expires and Duster is getting to feel boring
thalavoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 17:18   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know the niggles and other issues around XUV, but I honestly did not get any kind of premium feel or the raw power from the Duster. I liked the sheer size, power and fully loaded features of the XUV. I figured I could live with a few niggles (blame it on our famous chalta hai attitude)
Again this is my personal opinion and I am sure the duster will turn out to be a great workhorse and an excellent step up from a sedan, but I was not really looking for a sedan!
So what is your final verdict. Are you taking back your booking amount or are you sticking with the Duster or have you straightaway gone to the Mahindra showroom & booked the XUV instead?
Old 10th July 2012, 17:19   #371
BANNED

Guys,

I got this Duster Brochure by email and am attaching to my message for those who visited the showroom and could not get one or willing to buy Duster and still not decided.

Regards

Rakesh
Attached Files
File Type: zip Duster brochure-new.zip (2.21 MB, 542 views)
micrographics is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 17:27   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
So what is your final verdict. Are you taking back your booking amount or are you sticking with the Duster or have you straightaway gone to the Mahindra showroom & booked the XUV instead?
Sorry, i guess I rambled on and on and missed the point. I have asked for a cancellation of the Duster Booking. I was not able to book the XUV as I was informed by the AML rep that the showroom was closed on Sundays (i wonder why). I plan to book the XUV tomorrow (apparently tomorrow is auspicious day ).
DoneAndDusted is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 17:49   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is my experience, looking at the hype and hoping for an ace from Renault I paid 50K deposit and pre-booked the duster RxL 85 ps with the option pack on June 29th at hyderabad.
Congratulations on the booking, I am sure this would be a wonderful car. The more I read the reviews here the more confusing it is getting. This seems to be a good VFM package but on the other hand after being used to the gizmos (most of the things auto) & rough handling that my Scorpio can take it is difficult to decide if I want to go back to the manual work with the Duster (lights, wipers, cruise control, warnings etc. etc.) or upgrade to the XUV which offers all these.
Old 10th July 2012, 18:47   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Congratulations on the booking, I am sure this would be a wonderful car. The more I read the reviews here the more confusing it is getting. This seems to be a good VFM package but on the other hand after being used to the gizmos (most of the things auto) & rough handling that my Scorpio can take it is difficult to decide if I want to go back to the manual work with the Duster (lights, wipers, cruise control, warnings etc. etc.) or upgrade to the XUV which offers all these.
Its a tough call. I was in the same predicament for some time. I guess you need to go feel the duster in flesh and take a good test drive. I would recommend you stop by Mahindra and drive the XUV immediately afterwards to get a first hand feel for the differences. This worked for me and I hope the answer dawns on you as well .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maanspeedo View Post
Good observations mate . Personal opinions are what differentiate us from each other , else the world would be a very boring place. Though I did not like XUV as much as many of my friends ,still I feel its a good buy if you can live with niggles and so man , congratulations
Enjoy .
Bang on again Maanspeedo. Could not agree with you more. Go with the what you like and enjoy the ride !
I think being spoilt for choice and finding it difficult to make a decision is a good thing for the consumer.
DoneAndDusted is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 22:59   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
For you & the few good men left, who are still interested in the petrol version! I had earlier written to Renualt senior management (MD, CEO etc) on their poor decision to not even offer ABS & Airbags in the petrol vehicles & below is their much delayed reply. Well, nothing much to say really other than nod the head & accept the reality that we are in India! The regressive Tax policy on automobiles (Excise duty, Import duty, Lifetax, RTO, Insurance, Tax on petrol etc) & our cost conscious upbringing reflects in their market study.

Email Reply:
Dear Mr. Rajkumar

Greetings from Renault India!

Thank you very much for your patronage towards Renault Cars.

As regards to your query regarding ABS/EBD & Airbags in petrol version, we would like to inform your good self that features incorporated in a model vary from country to country,
Our product have been launched in India as per market study, Customers demand & product price range. Its a continuous improvement process being followed, and all valuable customer comments are welcome in order to adjust our policy.

We forward your comment to our product team for their consideration.

Warm Regards,

Renault India Customer Care
urajkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed