Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2012, 20:12   #466
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Launch Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice29 View Post
I am very much eager to know how they are going to fix that. In all possibility, it should be jump seats. But who is going to fit there?

I too have the same question. Probably here is where Duster going to miss the split rear seats badly!
How funny it would be if I try to enter inside through the boot .
I am going this Sunday to look at the space behind and decide if it can be made into a bed for a child. The luggage can always go on top in a thule rack...
Old 13th July 2012, 20:24   #467
Team-BHP Support

More articles now show up on Renault's plans for 7 seater options (2+5)

Renault offers 5+2 seating option with Duster | CarTrade.com
Old 13th July 2012, 20:27   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post
I am going this Sunday to look at the space behind and decide if it can be made into a bed for a child. The luggage can always go on top in a thule rack...
Seriously? Is it that important to have the extra seats in a 5 seater?
That said, I always toyed with the idea of extra seats in my Fiat Adventure. But, I always preferred to be stock, at least mechanically.
Old 13th July 2012, 20:50   #469
BHPian

hey no, we are just three of us, but when we are five, the kid sometimes sleeps at the back of the Bolero (luggage in between the jump seats and you have a mattress on top...squeeze bed kinda thing), which is definitely not a safe practice, but sleep is sleep after all and i drive really cautiously then. (In fact he sleeps during long rides on the bike too, which made me design a harness and neck support for him just in case he doesn't fall off without my knowledge!)

will check if the Duster has space for a custom mattress at the back.

Adventure was always my dream vehicle...wonder why it wasn't relaunched with the 1.3 multijet!!
Old 13th July 2012, 21:17   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methilsunkara View Post
I have test driven the car and that seems highly unlikely due to the space constraints in the boot area. The boot area is higher than the second row coz of the rear suspension and spare tire. So even jumper seats will be uncomfortable. Only children would be able to sit there.

I am 6'3 and the only issue i had with the car was space. The engine was smooth, ride quality was very good and plastics were satisfactory. But the legroom was very less in the second row when I was sitting in the drivers seat. Even the headroom felt a bit less. But this applies only to taller people. My friend whos 5'8 loved it and booked one on the spot.

So I drove straight to mahindra showroom, in my Nano which is still the most comfortable car to get into the drivers seat. The XUV 500 W6 at 11.5L is only 60K more than Duster RXZ which costs 10.9L ex-showroom and it has almost the same equipment list. Only thing missing in XUV is alloys but it has a lot more space. This applies only in Maharashtra, as the XUV is cheaper here since its manufactured in Chakan.

The top variants of Duster doesn't seem to be a good purchase. But the duster is a very good package at 7.5L-9.5L for the middle variants. I would prefer the Duster over Scorpio, Sx4, Indigo Manza, City, Vento, etc at that price point.
So, did you booked the XUV ?
Old 13th July 2012, 22:15   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshiv View Post
So, did you booked the XUV ?
No. I am not that impulsive. I will do a complete study on niggling issues of XUV500 and if Mahindra has corrected them. But since I am looking for a SUV in 10L-12L budget, it is the obvious choice.

The Duster is much smaller in size and interior space is less. Even if you pay 1Lakh more for the XUV, you get a lot for your money. But this comparison is only between top end versions of Duster (RXL option, RXZ) and XUV W6. The lower and middle variants of Duster are good value for money, especially when comparing to C-segment sedans and MUV's.

The outer rearview mirror knob is difficult to use, as it is placed under the handbrake. The audio control placed behind the steering wheel is difficult to locate and impossible to use while driving. It is sure to cause a few nasty accidents. The autocar review of the Duster also mentioned these quirky ergonomics.
There was a Top Gear segment on the fact that most renault cars have some such quirky bits . Its almost as if the french car manufacturers do it on purpose.
Old 13th July 2012, 22:25   #472
BHPian

If you check Renault Brazil site for accessories, the 4 hooks provided in the boot is used to secure items with a net. I even say driver arm-rest as an accessory. Maybe we can expect it in few months.
Old 13th July 2012, 22:31   #473
BHPian

Im going to be Test driving or if not then atleast seeing the duster in flesh.I am quite keen on buying it.But only doubt is whether petrol or diesel since km done or hardly 8km a day.
Was wondering when the official teambhp review will be out.That would help me finalise my decision.Any one know the rates on road in mumbai.
Old 13th July 2012, 22:40   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
Was wondering when the official teambhp review will be out.That would help me finalise my decision.Any one know the rates on road in mumbai.
As per GTO, the mods will have a go at Duster, next weekend.
That will answer a lot of questions, and then i am sure will give birth to a lot more questions .
Old 13th July 2012, 22:56   #475
BHPian

Another issue that i found with the Duster was my elbow hitting the rear AC vent every time I changed gears, especially if the drivers seat is fully back. Also the position of the vents make it impossible for the 5th passenger to sit comfortably.
Old 13th July 2012, 23:16   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala
Seems 7 seater options are offered now by the dealers in Bangalore. One of my friend got a call from the dealer and he said that they have put 2 additional seats at extra cost. That makes Duster a VFM
How safe would that be? Would Renault approve of it?
Old 13th July 2012, 23:20   #477
BHPian

According to Wheel-O-Mania site Duster top variant will come with two jump seats which are full size with head rest as optional.

It further states Duster can well be now compared with Innova, XUV500, Scorpio or Ertiga as an 5+2 people mover with third row

Full size picture of the seat in beige color is added in their site and further adds it will be a dealer accessory for other variants.

Last edited by sathyaprakash : 13th July 2012 at 23:31.
Old 13th July 2012, 23:42   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Great comparison, I would suggest you could add power to weight and torque to weight ratio as well and 0-100 if you could find it. That would be like really awe-friggin-some!
Will try to add things u suggested.
Tomorrow i am going for TD of Duster.Lets see what in store..
Old 14th July 2012, 01:03   #479
BHPian

Does anyone know if the Duster has tinted glass? I request all the members taking a test drive tomorrow to try and find out.
Please try to get info on what are the items that can be electronically enabled by dealer, like the ones in Vento/Rapid. I mean things like doors auto-lock when car reaches a particular speed etc.

Last edited by sumeshmani : 14th July 2012 at 01:12.
Old 14th July 2012, 08:31   #480
Senior - BHPian

Finally test drove the Duster, cheque in hand, but I couldn't for the life of me find a comfortable driving position. I like most other things about the car, but here's the problem. With the steering in the highest position and the seat at the lowest position (and pushed furthest back) my left leg still foul with the steering. Worse, the lowest position on the height adjust is hardly a real setting. The whole seat rocks and bobs about at that position as it isn't sufficiently locked in.

Engine, gearbox and comfort were right up to my expectation, but I'm going to have a second look today. If I still feel uncomfortable driving it, then it's gonna be a very sad no go.
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks