Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2012, 08:43   #481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur
Finally test drove the Duster, cheque in hand, but I couldn't for the life of me find a comfortable driving position. I like most other things about the car, but here's the problem. With the steering in the highest position and the seat at the lowest position (and pushed furthest back) my left leg still foul with the steering. Worse, the lowest position on the height adjust is hardly a real setting. The whole seat rocks and bobs about at that position as it isn't sufficiently locked in.

Engine, gearbox and comfort were right up to my expectation, but I'm going to have a second look today. If I still feel uncomfortable driving it, then it's gonna be a very sad no go.
Apologies if you've already mentioned this before, but how tall are you? I ask because my bro-in-law is going to check out the Duster, and he is 6'3" tall, with a regular sized body and long legs. He is quite slim, so seat width will not be an issue, but he couldn't fit into the fluidic Verna. He does fit into the Cruze, but no one would be able to sit in the seat behind him.

Also, since you're familiar with the Aria, a comparison of the interior quality, fit and finish would be appreciated. I know they are completely different machines, but to most people the price is the primary factor, and then the best value that can be achieved within that budget is the second.
Old 14th July 2012, 09:27   #482
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Launch Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Apologies if you've already mentioned this before, but how tall are you? I ask because my bro-in-law is going to check out the Duster, and he is 6'3" tall, with a regular sized body and long legs. He is quite slim, so seat width will not be an issue, but he couldn't fit into the fluidic Verna. He does fit into the Cruze, but no one would be able to sit in the seat behind him.

Also, since you're familiar with the Aria, a comparison of the interior quality, fit and finish would be appreciated. I know they are completely different machines, but to most people the price is the primary factor, and then the best value that can be achieved within that budget is the second.
With a 6' 3" guy in the front, only a 5' 9" can sit at the back. But the Renault has fabulous under thigh support. Tall people will love the back seats.
Old 14th July 2012, 09:59   #483
BHPian

I am pretty disappointed with the pricing/ features on the Duster and it certainly is slightly over priced for what it offers. I was waiting for Duster for almost a year and am now dropping out of the fan list.

Booked a Honda Jazz just now.
Old 14th July 2012, 10:06   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methilsunkara View Post
Another issue that i found with the Duster was my elbow hitting the rear AC vent every time I changed gears, especially if the drivers seat is fully back. Also the position of the vents make it impossible for the 5th passenger to sit comfortably.
Good point Methil. I faced the same issue with my elbow, but had missed it from my post earlier. I think the rear AC was a bad idea
Old 14th July 2012, 11:45   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
Good point Methil. I faced the same issue with my elbow, but had missed it from my post earlier. I think the rear AC was a bad idea
Another significant ergonomic disaster is the windows controls on the rear doors. If you place your arm on the arm rest on the doors, there is no way to access the window/door controls. Even if you take your arm off the arm rest to access the controls, you would be elbowing hard into the seat or bending your arm uncannily to do so. See below picture:
Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-renault-issue.jpg

Last edited by SedatedDrive : 14th July 2012 at 11:53.
Old 14th July 2012, 12:24   #486
BHPian

i've been following all the posts on this thread and its thrown up some very interesting insights on the car. sadly no ones managed to get their hands on a 85bhp variant yet, which we are all assuming will see the bulk of the sales. interestingly enough i came across a one year old review by FIFTH GEAR on you tube, where the model being tested was a 1.5dci 85bhp 4WD variant. I'm sure the 85bhp variant in India without the 4WD will be lighter than the one you'll see in the test. The video makes for very interesting viewing and one specific part of it will remind you of the traffic sensibilities of most of our bus drivers
Take a look (hope its not been posted earlier already)

riziali is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 12:32   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive
Another significant ergonomic disaster is the windows controls on the rear doors. If you place your arm on the arm rest on the doors, there is no way to access the window/door controls. Even if you take your arm off the arm rest to access the controls, you would be elbowing hard into the seat or bending your arm uncannily to do so. See below picture:
Worst was when i rested my arm on it, the window started to roll down. I had inadvertently pressed the window control. Did anyone else face this?
Old 14th July 2012, 13:15   #488
BHPian

Got a call from the dealer,have been told that vehicle will be delivered within 7 days of 24th July
Old 14th July 2012, 14:06   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apologies if you've already mentioned this before, but how tall are you?
This was on my mind when I posted, feel stupid for forgetting to. I'm 6'1" with a few extra kilos here and there.

Quote:
lso, since you're familiar with the Aria, a comparison of the interior quality, fit and finish would be appreciated.
I don't know what people are complaining about. The Duster i really good for what it is. Leagues ahead of Tata / Mahindra IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
Strange, I did not seem to notice this problem. I am a big fan of the rear AC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
Another significant ergonomic disaster is the windows controls on the rear doors.
Rear AC killing rear legroom, bad ergonomics and placement of switches, poor rear legroom with tall guy in front... all issues I've previously highlighted with the 320d. Perhaps that's why I still like this thing. I'm used to it
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 14:19   #490
Senior - BHPian

He wont have issues, but the person sittin behind him will do. the front seat pushed completly back will eat away the leg space at rear. i dont think an with this setup i dont think a adult can fit in....

Quote:

lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 14:34   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
Got a call from the dealer,have been told that vehicle will be delivered within 7 days of 24th July
When did you book ? which Model ? Eagerly awaiting to hear your experience ?
Old 14th July 2012, 14:53   #492
BHPian

Found this video review from MotorBeam

sumeshmani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 15:17   #493
BHPian

My dealer rep just now informed me that Renault will be calling any time from now to confirm the booking specs. ETD around first week of Aug he said.
Old 14th July 2012, 16:33   #494
BHPian

Another Review . Interestingly RXL also featured.
Renault Duster video review | Video | Autocar India
pradeepkm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 16:36   #495
BHPian

My SA is telling me that RTO approval for Duster in Chennai will be given only on 20th of July and only after that registration is possible. So theoretically delivery should start from 23rd of July onwards, or he is trying to placate me and my constant nagging. Vehicle should be available in the dealers yard from this monday(16th July) onwards and he has promised to give my allotted VIN by tuesday and I can see my allotted vehicle next week itself.This was the same SA who told me that I will get my Vehicle by this week itself, So fingers crossed.
Funny thing is update on vehicle delivery is given only by dealers. I'm yet to receive any official confirmation of booking or delivery schedule from renault. Guys with any further info. please share.
Car color shown in that Moonbeam youtube video looks good, and I'm just wondering if I have missed a trick here. Oh well, you cant have everything.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed