Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2012, 12:26   #556
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Launch Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitinz View Post
I feel Duster Prices are not off the mark by a huge Margin, I agree they should have priced the different trim levels more rationally yet the number of Bookings justify Renault's Pricing.

Again at Price of Duster , you are getting a much more refined vehicle than a Scorpio or Safari , which are Duster's Real Competition. But if you want only a Sedan then you would go for Rapid/Vento/Verna/City but if you are looking for Compact SUV, you cannot go any further ...
I do not see what the Duster does that the Rapid or Nissan can not. It has the looks of an SUV, but that does not always mean a great product. If you want really butch looks and don't care about safety features or build quality, then go for the Force One - guaranteed to scare away every auto rickshaw in your path.

The current offerings of the Duster are weird:
1. No Airbags or ABS offered on Petrol variants - guess they want to kill off any people still crazy enough to buy a petrol car nowadays.
2. Two diesel variants but same engine, just differently tuned.
3. ABS and Airbags only on the top end variants.
4. No AWD. So no point in bragging about the GC or the MRFs.

The Skoda Rapid / Nissan Sunny do everything that the current Duster variants can do and perhaps excel.
Old 16th July 2012, 12:43   #557
Distinguished - BHPian

Report claims the bookings have crossed 7300+ ( official numbers), with waiting period of 2 months.
Seems good for a company that had dismal figures in sales uptill now.

Renault
Old 16th July 2012, 12:45   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
I do not see what the Duster does that the Rapid or Nissan can not....
Come and drive in Gurgaon and you will know how important is the GC.

Illogically designed speed breakers, road between pot holes, bully in a Scorpio/Safari and many such features make sense out of Duster. My Swift is currently in workshop for damaged exhaust manifold.

Last edited by GTO : 18th July 2012 at 17:05. Reason: Fixing quote
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 13:04   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
I do not see what the Duster does that the Rapid or Nissan can not....

Come and drive in Gurgaon and you will know how important is the GC.

Illogically designed speed breakers, road between pot holes, bully in a Scorpio/Safari and many such features make sense out of Duster. My Swift is currently in workshop for damaged exhaust manifold.
I can understand what you mean to say (my WagonR regularly got scrapped in Gurgaon) .

GC is very important on account of the ill conceived and worse executed speed breakers even in Navi Mumbai. However thankfully my Scorpio is able to sail over them.

Last edited by GTO : 18th July 2012 at 17:06. Reason: Removing extra quote tag
Old 16th July 2012, 13:08   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive

The Skoda Rapid / Nissan Sunny do everything that the current Duster variants can do and perhaps excel.
What the Rapid and Sunny cannot do is to provide you with ample cabin room and comfortable bench like seating. That's what the Duster offers. You can still enjoy good Gc in the absence of AWD given our roads. Ask any Ertiga/Innova/SX4 owner to vouch for it. Any C and D segment sedan you buy you still sit with your knees skyward. Awful position when you want to spend a couple of hours there on the highway.
Old 16th July 2012, 13:48   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
What the Rapid and Sunny cannot do is to provide you with ample cabin room and comfortable bench like seating. That's what the Duster offers. You can still enjoy good Gc in the absence of AWD given our roads. Ask any Ertiga/Innova/SX4 owner to vouch for it. Any C and D segment sedan you buy you still sit with your knees skyward. Awful position when you want to spend a couple of hours there on the highway.
As far as the rear seat comfort goes, i doubt if Duster provides (or any other cross over for that matter) better experience then a sedan. Rear seats of sedans are designed like a sofa, where you lean back, stretch your legs, with good under thigh support. Upright position position is compromised which is probably good if you are driving and need to be attentive. In simple terms:
  • lean-back position when you are relaxing
  • Upright/lean forward position when you are working
Of course the seat should not be too low, and should have sufficient leg room so that the knee doesn't bend too much

I agree with other advantages of a crossover like good GC, commanding driving position, flexibility of space, utility value etc
Old 16th July 2012, 14:35   #562
BHPian

Friends, one query from my side. What exactly is the difference between Diesel 110 RxZ and Diesel 110 RxZ Option Pack? I was going through Renault website comparing the equipment list between these two models, but could not find any difference (not sure whether it's time for me to check my eye sight). Though, the price is 30000 more for the 110 Option Pack. Any idea?
Old 16th July 2012, 14:41   #563
BHPian

From a not so recently totalled bolero owner, i can safely say that even the basic Diesel RXE, offers a better VFM package compared to the Bolero "IF" you treat it as a Five seater.
1) Better mileage compared to a Bolero CRDE or even an IDI.
2) Better Pickup
3) Better handling and steering
4) Definitely better braking.( Read my travails with bolero in accident pics and bolero brake upgrades needed queries both in team-bhp)
5) Maybe it was just my bolero, but my doors started rusting within two years of purchase.
6) Higher ground clearance. 180 for Bolero and scorpio and 205 for Duster.

Where the bolero excels is in its sheer ability to withstand driver abuse. During christmas times, my bolero used to be the church vehicle for Youth carrying upto 15 people( standing, sitting, hanging onto the sides) without even a whimper.I still love the space options which the rear seat used to provide.
However it is a vehicle well past it's prime in terms of handling and definitely braking in today's highway conditions. And it is still India's largest selling SUV.
My personal opinion is that Bolero handles better than a scorpio.
Reading all comments in the forum, I cant help but notice one thing.
For the first time in a very long time, we have our own esteemed members comparing the duster to all segment vehicles.
1) Is it a big hatch with higher ground clearance?
2) Is it better than a Sunny or a Vento?( Seriously,can a sedan wade through knee-deep water or pot hole filled roads or hillock shaped speed breakers better than a crossover?)
3) Can it replace a bolero or a scorpio?
4) Can it be compared to a YETI?
So, maybe the Duster is being considered as a replacement or an upgrade from the existing ride in itself is a good sign that maybe the vehicle might perform to desired expectations.
Hopefully Duster will fill the Vacuum left by my Bolero. Time will tell.
Old 16th July 2012, 14:48   #564
BHPian

110 Option Pack

@ Cruzerman - The 110 Option Pack has leather seats (in slightly darker shade of beige, leather inserts on the doors, faux wooden handgrips on doors & a different border for the central console.
Quality of leather - not in the same league as the Koleos parked in the same showroom but fairly okay - has perforations, with passable feel and finish.
Is it worth the extra amount? - well personal opinions here - I found it okay (slightly better than the light fabric Beige) and have booked it
Unfortunately, it also comes with that "unique" rear tower ac unit
-Of course those chaps who designed & cleared that rear central AC need to be mercilessly dealt with - firing squad perhaps?
Rigid Rotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 15:16   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
Hey buddy, but if budget is your constraint then how are you planning to maintain a used BMW or Merc
Im guessing, they would not give much problems for a couple of years other than regular servicing costs.A friend of mine has a 2007 3series.Not a single issue till now.except for servicing costs.
Old 16th July 2012, 15:20   #566
BHPian

Why no one is talking about petrol ?

I have been following this thread keenly ,have taken a test drive and have researched thoroghly on this car.

I guess there are many on this forum who wouldnot keep the car for 80000 kilometers and actually will change the car before that for some new models coming in (
all the major car makers have planned to launch all sorts of cars in india till 2014).

In that case, why not go for petrol ?. It ahs good pwer,torque and almost 2 lakh rupees price difference . With Indian government allset to increase diesel price in next twoweeks and possibly deregulate it or increase dieselcar prices..why not go for petrol if you aint planning to keep it more than 50-60 k ( which should equalise the excess price paid for diesel versions), besides that petrol top version does not have the rear AC tower
Old 16th July 2012, 15:35   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
From a not so recently totalled bolero owner, i can safely say that even the basic Diesel RXE, offers a better VFM package compared to the Bolero "IF" you treat it as a Five seater.
Your comparo is spot on. Bolero can take tons of abuse and withstand the same for years. I have one at home and it has not let us down yet. It has done 1,37,000 kms and there has not been a single issue till now. But where the Duster scores is definitely better braking, handling,modern engine and better interiors.

Last edited by GTO : 17th July 2012 at 16:59. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
Old 16th July 2012, 15:43   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maanspeedo View Post
Why no one is talking about petrol ?

I have been following this thread keenly ,have taken a test drive and have researched thoroghly on this car. In that case, why not go for petrol ?. It ahs good pwer,torque and almost 2 lakh rupees price difference . With Indian government allset to increase diesel price in next twoweeks and possibly deregulate it or increase dieselcar prices..why not go for petrol if you aint planning to keep it more than 50-60 k ( which should equalise the excess price paid for diesel versions), besides that petrol top version does not have the rear AC tower
Maanspeedo: there have been few comments (especially Floyd & myself) on Petrol but all in frustration on not getting any news or clue on how the petrol version drives. So we have been silent on this thread & only shows that petrol heads are going extinct in india. Am hoping we get a chance to do a TD (also Hope GTO covers Petrol in his TD too) soon. I have been following up with Renault who have finally said, TD possible only on first week of august. Fingers crossed cos i want to book the Duster soon but dont want to book without knowing how it drives.

Last edited by urajkumar : 16th July 2012 at 15:44.
Old 16th July 2012, 16:08   #569
BHPian

managed to visit the Renault dealer for a look at the Duster, the reason why i say managed, because its difficult to locate their dealers as they a limited number of them here in Mumbai.

I might be going against the wave here, the car is a good looker, not butch, but closer to the Yeti in size. Once inside the cabin, the fit and finish cant be compared to the Yeti (thats my yard stick), the options provided on the top of the line 110 variant are decent with two air bags, but the doors dont have the Thud feel that i anticipated, i tried this twice over both inside and outside the showroom.

Looks like Renault have tried to fit the vehicle into the price band and hence compromises are several, for eg ; the leather - art leather seats were alright, no height adjustment driver seats etc..

Infact, the koleos is the car that floored me, superb fit and finish (it being an import) with great leather interiors and even Bose audio system, Renault should aggressively promote this car as well, with some better discounts than the 80K they were offering. The Koleos is OTR @ 29 lacs..
Old 16th July 2012, 16:10   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
Am hoping we get a chance to do a TD (also Hope GTO covers Petrol in his TD too) soon. I have been following up with Renault who have finally said, TD possible only on first week of august. Fingers crossed cos i want to book the Duster soon but dont want to book without knowing how it drives.
Seriously hoping for an official Team-BHP review soon.

MODS, please come out with a review , we are getting restless here. Really do not want to make a hurried decision without an in-depth , practical review of different versions from our esteemed Mods.

Hoping that Petrol versions get some lines in the review and that we can make a decision then.

Till then , wait and watch is all what we can do .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks