Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2012, 00:01   #586
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Launch Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
And this number looks like it will go up with Renault announcing a 7-seater (5+2 actually) version, as per the latest news in the online sites.
Hearing this news I called the dealer. I hate 7 seats to the core. He said the 2 additional seats are 'baby' seats and dealer option. INR 7.5K. Guess he meant small by saying 'baby'. Thank goodness I am not forced to carry around 7 seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattandip View Post
With Enjoy, EcoSpot and Nissan version of Duster round the corner in next 2-4 months period, it will be hard to defend the exclusivity Renault enjoys today.
What is the source of the information that they are around the corner in 2-4 months ? Especially, the Nissan version of Duster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
I do not see what the Duster does that the Rapid or Nissan can not. It has the looks of an SUV, but that does not always mean a great product. If you want really butch looks and don't care about safety features or build quality, then go for the Force One - guaranteed to scare away every auto rickshaw in your path.

The current offerings of the Duster are weird:
1. No Airbags or ABS offered on Petrol variants - guess they want to kill off any people still crazy enough to buy a petrol car nowadays.
2. Two diesel variants but same engine, just differently tuned.
3. ABS and Airbags only on the top end variants.
4. No AWD. So no point in bragging about the GC or the MRFs.

The Skoda Rapid / Nissan Sunny do everything that the current Duster variants can do and perhaps excel.
Rapid and Sunny cannot hold a candle to Duster when crossing Bangalore mountains and broken ditch like roads that I encounter, when fully loaded. We don't need AWD, just a good GC will do it. Top end Duster has acceptable safety options. Yep it is not perfect. But offers what the competition offers at the same price point. Case in point: Yesterday, I had to take an alternative route spending 30 extra minutes because of water clogging in a certain section. A Swift was barely going through but I did not want to take the risk. In Duster I would have gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
What the Rapid and Sunny cannot do is to provide you with ample cabin room and comfortable bench like seating. That's what the Duster offers. You can still enjoy good Gc in the absence of AWD given our roads. Ask any Ertiga/Innova/SX4 owner to vouch for it. Any C and D segment sedan you buy you still sit with your knees skyward. Awful position when you want to spend a couple of hours there on the highway.
+1 to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzerman View Post
Friends, one query from my side. What exactly is the difference between Diesel 110 RxZ and Diesel 110 RxZ Option Pack? I was going through Renault website comparing the equipment list between these two models, but could not find any difference (not sure whether it's time for me to check my eye sight). Though, the price is 30000 more for the 110 Option Pack. Any idea?
The option pack has leather seat and wooden garnish for the door handles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
Once inside the cabin, the fit and finish cant be compared to the Yeti (thats my yard stick)

Infact, the koleos is the car that floored me, superb fit and finish
Duster, Yeti and Koleos ? It is like comparing Vento, Jetta and Passat. Why even compare them ?

Last edited by idofsuresh : 17th July 2012 at 00:02.
idofsuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 08:49   #587
Senior - BHPian

Renault Duster Review, images, specs, price and all the details | Motoroids till we have our review; check this.
jkdas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 09:20   #588
BHPian

T-BHP guys seriously need to check whether the 85Bhp version is really underpowered / "will run out of steam" on the highways.

I have compared the Power/Torque to Weight figures or the 85hp Duster & they look really good in front of the rest of the sub-15Lac SUV/MUVs.
The XUV/Yeti top the list , Aria/Safari come next and then the Duster.
Everything else, falls behind.

Coming from a Perolhead, I did not feel any lag when I TD the 110. Engine was very refined and the ride very comfortable on Industrial area cratered roads.
Frankly, the reason why I am dropping back from the XUV and back on to the Duster wagon.

And I have driven the earlier version of this engine in the Fluence, where it was hopeless.
That new VGT, Air intake, remap etc have really worked well in eliminating the Achilles heel of the K9K engine.
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 10:07   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
T-BHP guys seriously need to check whether the 85Bhp version is really underpowered / "will run out of steam" on the highways.
More than the highways, I am concerned about hill climbs, steep inclines with fill load.
Old 17th July 2012, 10:14   #590
BHPian

Another Duster review and this time its the Black Beauty! The first photograph is stunning.

Road Test and Review: Renault Duster | Full Throttle - Yahoo! News India
Old 17th July 2012, 10:15   #591
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I totally agree. Ive not driven the 85 but am guilty like most people of making this assumption about it running out of steam on highways. Not fair really.
I found the 110 to be perfectly adequate even though I came out of my 140BHP Yeti and jumped into the 110 Duster.
I am sure that they would have tuned this 85 BHP engine well enough to meet all normal requirements. It does NOT follow that the lower powered engines are bad on the highways and I stand corrected on my assumption.
At least until someone competent goes and tests that 85BHP version.

(I like the way we are sitting and grubbing around on this 85BHP version especially when many of us started life with those Ambys, Fiats and 800's!! Also the XD3PU Bolero which used to cry like hell with its 68BHP in 5th gear on highways! Going uphill with full load of 4 people and luggage and paraphernalia etc was no problem because of the torque and luggability of that engine despite its lack of a turbo charger. Hence I don't think the Duster will have a problem either!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post

I have compared the Power/Torque to Weight figures or the 85hp Duster & they look really good in front of the rest of the sub-15Lac SUV/MUVs.
The XUV/Yeti top the list , Aria/Safari come next and then the Duster.
Everything else, falls behind.

Coming from a Perolhead, I did not feel any lag when I TD the 110. Engine was very refined and the ride very comfortable on Industrial area cratered roads.
Frankly, the reason why I am dropping back from the XUV and back on to the Duster wagon.

And I have driven the earlier version of this engine in the Fluence, where it was hopeless.
That new VGT, Air intake, remap etc have really worked well in eliminating the Achilles heel of the K9K engine.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th July 2012 at 10:17.
Old 17th July 2012, 10:55   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Here is the rub - if you want an accomplished 5 seat SUV which can pretty much take all the rubbishy city roads and off road tracks of India, then the Duster is the right vehicle. The moment you start comparing it in terms of size and electronic junk gizmos, with the Scorpio and XUV, then the Duster loses the battle. However, note that the Duster is far better engineered and finished than the Scorpio certainly and the XUV to a large extent.
Us Indians will slowly come out of the thinking that the more money I spend the bigger the vehicle must be! Size does not really matter. Quality does.
However, those in need of a 7 seater on regular basis will not find Duster the right car!
Shankar Sir,
Totally totally respect that We truly need to come out of the thinking that since we are investing more money we need a big big vehicle irrespective of the quality.
I am completely out of this thinking and totally loving the Duster to the core.
Old 17th July 2012, 11:03   #593
BHPian

Before we all start going gaga over the seven seater option, I urge all you guys to consider this.
Firstly the Duster was not designed to be a Seven seater. So rear loading with additional people is not going to help the handling or driveability any good. Call it baby seat or whatever you want, but if it is there, we will try to use it. This brings me to the second and most important point.
If the RC book says 5 seater, and even if an authorised dealer puts in two additional seats, your ride is technically illegal on road. God forbid, an accident happens with fatality or even injury or vehicle total loss, you can kiss your hard earned money good-bye. Insurance for sure will not pay up, and you might even get arrested. At least this is my understanding.
So if any forum members can shed some light regarding the legality of this seven seater option, I think it will help our forum members take an informed decision.
Neil Roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 11:16   #594
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
[url=http://motoroids.com/reviews/renault-duster-review-images-specs-price-and-all-the-details/]Renault Duster Review
Quite a comprehensive review with plethora of pics. Motoroids seems to have come a long way & certainly "arrived". Quality review & Duster gets goods marks.
Old 17th July 2012, 12:08   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post
Hearing this news I called the dealer. I hate 7 seats to the core. He said the 2 additional seats are 'baby' seats and dealer option. INR 7.5K. Guess he meant small by saying 'baby'. Thank goodness I am not forced to carry around 7 seats.

What is the source of the information that they are around the corner in 2-4 months ? Especially, the Nissan version of Duster.

Rapid and Sunny cannot hold a candle to Duster when crossing Bangalore mountains and broken ditch like roads that I encounter, when fully loaded. We don't need AWD, just a good GC will do it. Top end Duster has acceptable safety options. Yep it is not perfect. But offers what the competition offers at the same price point. Case in point: Yesterday, I had to take an alternative route spending 30 extra minutes because of water clogging in a certain section. A Swift was barely going through but I did not want to take the risk. In Duster I would have gone.

+1 to that.

The option pack has leather seat and wooden garnish for the door handles.

Duster, Yeti and Koleos ? It is like comparing Vento, Jetta and Passat. Why even compare them ?
youve got it wrong, I have just expressed my thoughts on the similar sized yeti and how its much better built than the duster, the koleos i have suggested that Renault should push for sales by dropping prices further as its a great car with all the bells and whistles nut over priced being a import..hope thats clear now..
Old 17th July 2012, 12:25   #596
Distinguished - BHPian

Another Duster review. To summarize, seems to be quite impressive and bound to garner decent sales.

Quote:
The duster is a good looking compact crossover that gives you the muscle of a SUV, the driving dynamics of a sedan and the fuel economy of a premium hatchback - all at a really tempting price tag.
Renault Duster-Diesel Performance Review | On cars Reviews | Renault Duster-Diesel Cars | OnCars.in
Old 17th July 2012, 13:09   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I also believe that the 85BHP version will be more than competent in the city but it might run out of juice on the highway.
Overall at 12.4 lacs on road, the 85 BHP with all options, will be the best buy for consumers to make especially if their primary need is space, safety and in city running.
I was patting myself on the back, after reading the above comments of a distinguished BHP-ian like Mr. Shankar, because the version I have booked is exactly what he has recommended –the 85 BHP RxL with option pack.

I have been a happy Honda City user for the past 8 years and when I decided to change my vehicle, I decided on the Duster for the following reasons:-

• I wanted a sturdily-built vehicle with a high GC that could take on the Chennai roads which are forever being dug up for sewerage/cabling/water/metro work etc.

• The fuel efficiency of the vehicle was a definite priority. I cannot afford a gas-guzzler.

• It had to be compact and the driveability should be similar to that of a sedan.

• It had to be within the 10-11 Lakhs OTR price range. (Well, I had to stretch my budget some more for the ABS/Airbags, but that’s another story...)

• Looks mattered, so did the high, elevated driver’s view.

The Duster checked most of the above boxes and in return, I was willing to compromise on ordinary trims, a passable audio system, quirks in the ergonomics of the dash board and yet-to-be-proven *** from Renault.
Did I choose wisely?
Only time will tell. But shall certainly keep you informed about my journey with Duster!
Rada is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 13:21   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Before we all start going gaga over the seven seater option, I urge all you guys to consider this.
Firstly the Duster was not designed to be a Seven seater. So rear loading with additional people is not going to help the handling or driveability any good. Call it baby seat or whatever you want, but if it is there, we will try to use it. This brings me to the second and most important point.
If the RC book says 5 seater, and even if an authorised dealer puts in two additional seats, your ride is technically illegal on road. God forbid, an accident happens with fatality or even injury or vehicle total loss, you can kiss your hard earned money good-bye. Insurance for sure will not pay up, and you might even get arrested. At least this is my understanding.
So if any forum members can shed some light regarding the legality of this seven seater option, I think it will help our forum members take an informed decision.
+1 to this. If the 2 extra seats are added by the dealer, will they also add seat belts for these additional seats? I don't think so. And, I think that's kind of dangerous. I don't drive without wearing seatbelts or let others travel with me without wearing their seat belts. Even if the so called 'baby' seats are meant for babies, will there be provision to harness the actual baby seats to these additional seats? I don't think so, again.

By the way, I wonder how the ingress/egress would be for the additional seats. I guess the only way is through the boot opening (not sure about this, though). Do you think it will be an easy task to enter and exit through the high boot loading bay?
Old 17th July 2012, 13:43   #599
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Thanks.
Yes, for most typical in city, daily drive use case scenarios the Duster ticks all the requisite boxes. Here is a perfect example of a person moving away from a sedan to a cross over.Good for Renault if the Duster weans away a large number of such consumers!
All the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
• I wanted a sturdily-built vehicle with a high GC that could take on the Chennai roads which are forever being dug up for sewerage/cabling/water/metro work etc.

• The fuel efficiency of the vehicle was a definite priority. I cannot afford a gas-guzzler.

• It had to be compact and the driveability should be similar to that of a sedan.

• It had to be within the 10-11 Lakhs OTR price range. (Well, I had to stretch my budget some more for the ABS/Airbags, but that’s another story...)

• Looks mattered, so did the high, elevated driver’s view.

The Duster checked most of the above boxes and in return, I was willing to compromise on ordinary trims, a passable audio system, quirks in the ergonomics of the dash board and yet-to-be-proven *** from Renault.
Did I choose wisely?
Only time will tell. But shall certainly keep you informed about my journey with Duster!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th July 2012 at 13:45.
Old 17th July 2012, 13:46   #600
BHPian

I have been to the Renault showroom thrice in last one week , trying to get some information on TD of petrol and 85 Diesel, but in vain .

And then there is upto 3 months waiting period quoted by dealers here in Mumbai.

Something interesting happened today , someone known to me mentioned that delivery of the vehicle is possible within a week with a premium of around 1 lac !!

Lo!, I was hoping that does not happen . It happened with XUV 500 ( still on), with Fortuner,With vento,even with swift desire diesel.

Only proves that their is more demand than supply and dealers or agents are all set to make some moolah , specially since they have got very little on charts till now with other three models from Renault .

Now , Biggest dilemma , as my older post on this thread mentioned. My Honda city is just 11 months old and I am getting super tempted to stretch myself and change it and go for early delivery of Duster if possible and if there is any truth in talks about premium.

Just waiting for Much much awaited Team-BHP review
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks