Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2012, 14:35   #676
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Launch Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
There will be many instances of folks getting saved due to airbags, and perhaps exceptions like this where unfortunately lives are not saved. Airbags and ESP should be standard.

If you are already spending 11 lakhs why not spend the lakh more and get the added assurance.
You are right, but in that case I just might go up a notch higher and go for the XUV500
Old 19th July 2012, 14:43   #677
BHPian

Guys who are going for RXL 110 is it really VFM? If you think about it you are spending close to 12 lakhs and getting a car with no airbags!

Obviously one is going to drive safe and all that but in the case of an eventuality airbags help and will be worth every paisa, much much more than the extra 1 lakh one would spend now. And you get peace of mind.

If you can go to 11.74 lakhs for the RXL 110, the RXZ at 12.9 lakh is not very far away. For that extra lakh you get:

1. Dual front Airbags
2. Alloys
3. Rear AC - may matter for those who want it
4. Rear parking assist
5. Lumbar support
6. Chrome colored foot board, roof bars, and front and back etc

I think the problem for a lot of folks is they were considering the XUV. At the RXZ prices the XUV is barely 50-70k more, and given the specs, space, comfort and refinement the XUV is a no brainer, so the RXL 110 at 1.50 lakhs less makes sense and gets the go ahead.

However when making the decision to go for the Duster better to take XUV out of the equation and take a hard look at the VFM of RXL and RXZ. The RXL will not make sense, that should make the decision easier.

Last edited by raul : 19th July 2012 at 14:51.
Old 19th July 2012, 15:14   #678
BHPian

I had a look at the Duster 110 in Siliguri today. They received the car just yesterday. The brown color did not look too good to my eyes. I think the Metallic Grey should look good, enhance the bold arches, et al.

It looked very car like. Almost plane Jane. But there is nothing wrong with that. Could not drive it as it is not out for test drive as yet. I found the plastics inside okay. Not premium. Not substandard either. Loads of spaces. And a large boot. I think it is a good option/alternative to buying a sedan especially in this pot-holed ridden times that we live in. That I think is its biggest USP.

I have a half mind on booking one actually.
Old 19th July 2012, 15:19   #679
Senior - BHPian

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
I think it is a good option/alternative to buying a sedan especially in this pot-holed ridden times that we live in. That I think is its biggest USP.
Absolutely. I was in Siliguri a month back, and there's about a km stretch between Bagdogra airport and SLG that was an absolute NIGHTMARE! And bad roads such as that one are unfortunately far too common in our country.

Very good reason to get a Duster
Old 19th July 2012, 15:41   #680
BHPian

Re: !

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Absolutely. I was in Siliguri a month back, and there's about a km stretch between Bagdogra airport and SLG that was an absolute NIGHTMARE! And bad roads such as that one are unfortunately far too common in our country.

Very good reason to get a Duster
You are absolutely right.

The stretch where I live and used to go for my morning runs now looks like a mini mine field.

Further, there is the issue of 5 seater vs. 7 seater discussion. No comparison, I say. Guys who need to buy a 7 seater won't look at this one. And if you are still looking at this one and criticising it, please pass this one; it is much too small for your needs.

For guys like us who mostly drive single or with family of 4 (+ add a guest), for those few times when we need to go with the extended family (read brother's family), we simply take two cars. If we are going where the road is really dangerous, we hire a vehicle.
Old 19th July 2012, 16:12   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul

If you are already spending 11 lakhs why not spend the lakh more and get the added assurance.
Before the launch i was expecting the Otr prices to be on 10lakh range. I was foolish to think so. Now it is 11.10 and i had to streach my budget. Streaching it to 12.50 is not possible. After testing the duster i was happy about abs, ebd, brake assist. It definitely stops well without any kind of slide, stops in a straight line. Tried it from 140 to 0. Few years back i think even innova dint have airbag on g4 or g3 varients which used to cost almost 11lakhs..
Old 19th July 2012, 16:34   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEN-TWEEL View Post
Before the launch i was expecting the Otr prices to be on 10lakh range. I was foolish to think so. Now it is 11.10 and i had to streach my budget. Streaching it to 12.50 is not possible. After testing the duster i was happy about abs, ebd, brake assist. It definitely stops well without any kind of slide, stops in a straight line. Tried it from 140 to 0. Few years back i think even innova dint have airbag on g4 or g3 varients which used to cost almost 11lakhs..

Why is that you are not opting for Rxl85(o) which is also costing the same as Rxl110 but with Airbag, Alloys, parking sensor etc any particular reason to choose 110 for 85 even before not testing in the first hand or seeing.

I went through the forum review of Nissan Sunny which carries the same 85ps engine and it comes with flying colors no adverse remark about the performance please go through it.
sathyaprakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 17:17   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash

Why is that you are not opting for Rxl85(o) which is also costing the same as Rxl110 but with Airbag, Alloys, parking sensor etc any particular reason to choose 110 for 85 even before not testing in the first hand or seeing.

I went through the forum review of Nissan Sunny which carries the same 85ps engine and it comes with flying colors no adverse remark about the performance please go through it.
I was worried to go for 85 thinking that it would become underpowered once five people are travelling with their luggage. Duster is heavier than sunny by 150kg ? Im not sure. Since im not living in a metro we dont have bumper to bumper traffic. I read it here that 85 is suited for cities and 110 for highway. I do have to travel to wayand frequently which is a hill station, and was worried if 85 would get sluggish on ghats. As you said i cannot get into conclusions without testing the 85bhp. Renault is doing something fishy by not providing 85 for test anywhere in india. Anyway i guess team bhp would solve my problem. Im afraid if its too late because i got a delivery date for my vehicle which is 10 days away.

Last edited by manson : 19th July 2012 at 20:55.
Old 19th July 2012, 17:52   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
You are right, but in that case I just might go up a notch higher and go for the XUV500
I can tell you'd be among the last people who'd buy insurance!

All is well till all is well. Beyond that, sometimes, we might turn out to be penny wise, pound foolish. As in the case you mentioned earlier, there are no guarantees even with airbags. Yet, as a matter of procedure, it's only appropriate that one has them to minimize risk in our highly risky road conditions.
Old 19th July 2012, 18:04   #685
BHPian

Driven-Tweel > First my congrats to become the first owner of Duster in our forum in another 10 days. please write a detailed review about your buying and initial experience once you take delivery. We look forward for it.

Even I am little bit confused about the choice to make and I am banking on the Saturday review in our forum. Moderators please include both petrol & diesel plus 85 & 110 their comparison in detail in regard to performance and turbo lag respectively in regard to city, highway & hilly terrain and finally the best buy & VFM option among the lot thank you for your sincere,tireless, selfless effort.

Last edited by sathyaprakash : 19th July 2012 at 18:33.
Old 19th July 2012, 18:14   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I think the problem for a lot of folks is they were considering the XUV. At the RXZ prices the XUV is barely 50-70k more, and given the specs, space, comfort and refinement the XUV is a no brainer, so the RXL 110 at 1.50 lakhs less makes sense and gets the go ahead.
Absolutely disagree. Except for space, Duster is miles miles ahead of XUV in terms of comfort, engine refinement, fit/finish quality, et all.
floyd.bell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 18:36   #687
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The XUV has Size and Space going for it as also M&M's network and relatively easy service availability.
Those who want big size and space for the money being spent will tend to choose an XUV.
The core target consumer for both these vehicles, the Duster and XUV, in the absolute sense, are actually quite distinct and different.
Prospective customers for the Yeti 4x2 could migrate to Duster as will a number of prospective sedan and hot hatch buyers.
I think the timing is right - our roads are consistently lousy, regardless of which city one visits. Our public infrastructure is pathetic. The Urban Indian "yuppie" is coming out and enjoying more driving holidays than earlier.
All this points to the need for a reasonably specced,priced, spacious, tough and versatile vehicle which is equally at home in an urban, rural or highway environment as well as a holiday destination - et Voila! Le Duster S'arrive!! (Pardon my schoolboy French!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
Absolutely disagree. Except for space, Duster is miles miles ahead of XUV in terms of comfort, engine refinement, fit/finish quality, et all.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 19th July 2012 at 18:38.
Old 19th July 2012, 18:41   #688
BHPian

I dont think any of the auto journalists have tried the 85 bhp yet. Everyone seems to be testing the 110. So i dont think team bhp review which is due on saturday will include 85bhp.
Old 19th July 2012, 18:45   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
Woo hoo.
Easy there I'll give it everything else but there's no way the Duster is miles ahead in terms of Comfort.
The only people who may not be able to differentiate much in that respect may be short in height and I am just stating that factually with no prejudice.
Taller guys need more legroom and underthigh support to get comfy. The XUV is miles ahead in that department.
Off Roadie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 18:49   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
I can tell you'd be among the last people who'd buy insurance!
In all seriousness, No matter what safety devices a car has, a lot has to do with the vehicle's inherent design (something called NCAAP ratings maybe)and more importantly the human element between the steering wheel and the driver's seat.Airbags in itself cannot guarantee life or for that matter any safety device.
All that we can do is, when driving we apply our mind to the road with the intent of reaching home safely and seeing our loved ones again and hope that this effort is mutually reciprocated by our fellow drivers.
Still no news on the delivery or allotment schedule for Duster. Even the SA has no idea when the first lot is going to come in.
@driven-tweel, hows your alloy wheel selection coming up? Care to share some snaps?Your suggestion of alloy wheels got me making some enquiries here in Chennai and it seems R16 Alloys cost around 22K for a set of Four. I've asked the dealer to double check the durability of the alloys as "Cometh the duster, riseth the Dust from untreaded territory".Meaning the alloys should not just be purely cosmetic but have good ability to withstand abuse.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks