Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2012, 21:48   #706
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Launch Report

I wish they had launched this in the green that they had used during the initial adverts, dunno why they dropped it or didn't even include it in the available colors. Off all the colors I saw in flesh I liked the brown but it was a relative favorite than absolute, also the red that I saw wasn't really red enough...looked faded out.
Old 19th July 2012, 23:17   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post
Well to be honest, the ride quality which translates to comfort is much better on the Duster than the XUV. The XUV has a tendency to pitch and bounce which makes it quite uncomfortable. Ofcourse space in the XUV is miles ahead of the Duster
In all fairness, you can't expect Cayenne like handling for something which costs 1/4th it's price and almost matches it in size.
I think the XUV handles really well given it's size, it's just unfortunate that people tend to benchmark cars and SUV's on the same scale when it comes to handling.
But that's how it is and that's why the cross over segment is seeing high growth the world over.
I can only opine on the handling after getting behind the wheel of these two cars over a long distance, so won't comment further.

Plus I may be part of a small group of people who firmly believes that the roads in india have actually been improving a lot over the years. (I am talking national highways)
Off Roadie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 23:31   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandy1981 View Post
I wish they had launched this in the green that they had used during the initial adverts, dunno why they dropped it or didn't even include it in the available colors. Off all the colors I saw in flesh I liked the brown but it was a relative favorite than absolute, also the red that I saw wasn't really red enough...looked faded out.
That's the Delsey green. Its a special version. Images from various reviews. Given the design Duster is not a looker imho, somehow I feel the grey and silver make it look tired and ordinary. Red gives it some life and energy, one of the few cars red looks decent, this is purely subjective of course.

Also the Dacia grill is better, its bring out the headlights and gives it some personality, the Renault one is failrly generic.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-wp_000310.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-renaultdusterindia1.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-renaultduster62.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by raul : 19th July 2012 at 23:34.
Old 20th July 2012, 00:22   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie

In all fairness, you can't expect Cayenne like handling for something which costs 1/4th it's price and almost matches it in size.
I think the XUV handles really well given it's size, it's just unfortunate that people tend to benchmark cars and SUV's on the same scale when it comes to handling.
But that's how it is and that's why the cross over segment is seeing high growth the world over.
I can only opine on the handling after getting behind the wheel of these two cars over a long distance, so won't comment further.

Plus I may be part of a small group of people who firmly believes that the roads in india have actually been improving a lot over the years. (I am talking national highways)
Handling and Ride Comfort are 2 DIFFERENT things. You are missing the point.
Old 20th July 2012, 01:17   #710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I really like the sober plain jane Silver and the Grey best. The Brown is too in your face for my taste. The White is too stark. The Red is too blingy by half. I wish these chaps would also give us the option of a Jungle Green or Khaki so as to be able to blend in with the natural surroundings. I hate standing out from the crowd in terms of car colour. i love anonymity. Maybe I am just an old fuddy duddy bore, I don't know!
I really wonder why no Indian car maker gives out any shade of army green, jungle green, british racing green, sand or khaki? Are these colors banned in India? Also no manufacturer seems to give out a navy blue or a dark deep blue? I think only Vento used to have a deep blue shade, and BMW
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 01:31   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I really wonder why no Indian car maker gives out any shade of army green, jungle green, british racing green, sand or khaki? Are these colors banned in India? Also no manufacturer seems to give out a navy blue or a dark deep blue? I think only Vento used to have a deep blue shade, and BMW
Most of the shades of green are probably used by the armed forces and hence might be banned for civilians. Not sure just a hunch
Old 20th July 2012, 06:03   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Most of the shades of green are probably used by the armed forces and hence might be banned for civilians. Not sure just a hunch
The other subjects in this discussion, the Scorpio and the XUV are available in shades of green

In fact all the demo vehicles which Mahindra used for the Xuv were green.

When I see a lot of people here have been critical of the Scorpio or Bolero's ride and handling or comfort, I tend to agree. But the same comment for XUV is imho not the best of judgements.

I myself am not the biggest fan of the XUV's brakes or interiors, but on the handling front, I rate it well. It rides with very little body roll and the ride is comfortable too.
Old 20th July 2012, 09:40   #713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
I can tell you'd be among the last people who'd buy insurance!

All is well till all is well. Beyond that, sometimes, we might turn out to be penny wise, pound foolish. As in the case you mentioned earlier, there are no guarantees even with airbags. Yet, as a matter of procedure, it's only appropriate that one has them to minimize risk in our highly risky road conditions.
I wouldnt agree to the insurance part, but if procedures were to followed 100% we would need air bags in Tanks also
Old 20th July 2012, 10:17   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
The Duster dimensions state the Front and Rear track as 822 and 820 mm respectively while the overall width is 1822 mm. Is this correct? It definitely does not sound correct (too small compared to the overall width).
They have now corrected this. I never received any acknowledgement for the email I sent them. The front and rear tracks are 1560 and 1567 mm respectively.
Name:  duster_dimensions.PNG
Views: 5427
Size:  10.8 KB
Old 20th July 2012, 10:21   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
That's the Delsey green.....
Raul, the green i was referring to is slightly of a different shade. On the french site this is called as olive green.

In your pictures the Red does look really neat with the after rain effect to the background...guess ill need to double check my color choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-dustergreen.jpg  

Old 20th July 2012, 10:35   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen

You know what, the 85 has 200 nm of torque at a lower rpm than the 110, so you don't really need better pickup to travel in the ghats section. You need more torque at lower rpm, so that the engine can effectively pull a lot of load without straining itself. I had earlier compared the Bolero XD3P torque with that of the 85 (152 nm, pulling 1600 kgs versus 200 nm pulling 1180 kgs of the Duster) and if you see lots of Boleros faring fine in Wayanad, you know that your 85 will be way better than them.

Don't know why Renault is not getting the 85, but I guess bringing the 85 might dent the sales of the 110 once people realize that it has less turbo lag and pulls probably a little better than the 110 at lower RPMs. It also has a better fuel efficiency. On the highway, it will run out of steam as compared to the 110, but in Wayanad it will serve you a tad longer than the 110 (less strain on the engine = increased life).
My driving style is that i dont go on high speeds but i do change the gears in high rpms. Specially on ghats i go to 2500 to 3000 rpm. So guess the 110bhp produces 240nm at 2000 rpm where as the 85bhp produces 200nm at 1700rpm.. So will the 110 be better..? After testing the 110bhp, i dint feel much turbo lag and was nice, but after 2200 rpm its too good. 85bhp might strain i guess.
will the 110 have any difference in refinement because its having vgt. I had driven the sunny but i dint feel it smooth and refined as much as duster. Its just my feeling and dont know about others. I think renault got out only 110 for tests is to create the first and the best impression. So people reading the reviews of duster from the launch to about few more days will only hear that its an allrounder engine. With the prices starting from 8lakhs. lots people who are not much into detail study will get that impression. Lots of people might already be wondering if the 1.5cc engine is inough for this mini suv(crossover). If any sory of review comes out in the begining telling that the duster runs out of breath on highways. Where as 110 turbo lag wont be talked so much. Read lots of reviews telling its a good engine.But we are lucky to be on team bhp to always get the accurate details. We know what the 85bhp anf 110bhp is capable of..
Old 20th July 2012, 11:28   #717
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone got the delivery of his/her Duster with 7 seats option? I want to explore that as an option.
Old 20th July 2012, 11:30   #718
BHPian

Driven-Tweel > Hope our doubts get cleared by this time tomorrow by our moderators by the way, can anybody give a scoop whether the review includes 85 or as some one here suggested 85 may not be available for test till this month end.

I have never witnessed by any other manufacturer delaying so much for a model introduced as you said is there any thing fishy in the whole setup or in contrary to what you said they want to push the 110 first considering it is less better than 85?

Last edited by sathyaprakash : 20th July 2012 at 11:31.
Old 20th July 2012, 11:42   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandy1981 View Post
Raul, the green i was referring to is slightly of a different shade. On the french site this is called as olive green.

In your pictures the Red does look really neat with the after rain effect to the background...guess ill need to double check my color choice.
The Red is the same red that you get in Logan. More better choice of word will be maroon. Old or new, it will look the same.
The issue of color with duster is that it's curves and free flowing lines dont make it a great looker in the conventional sense. Renault's attempt at the indianisation of Duster by generous use of chrome and that silver thingy on the mirrors makes it a nightmare to get the color choice right. Chrome is usually highlighted and contrasted only against dark colors or at least around dark borders, both of which the duster does not have. So a chrome grill on a pearl white Duster does not get contrasted.
I have indicated my choice of color as Red as Red is relatively easier to maintain compared to the other darker colors and scratches which your car will accumulate over time will be less visible say compared to black.Personally, my first choice of color was pearl white(Or rather politician safari white) but Duster's chrome combination put me off.
What looks good on photos is a far cry from what you get to see in real flesh.
Old 20th July 2012, 11:43   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I really like the sober plain jane Silver and the Grey best. The Brown is too in your face for my taste. The White is too stark. The Red is too blingy by half. I wish these chaps would also give us the option of a Jungle Green or Khaki so as to be able to blend in with the natural surroundings. I hate standing out from the crowd in terms of car colour. i love anonymity. Maybe I am just an old fuddy duddy bore, I don't know!

shankar what is you opinion about black? you have not mentioned about it.

In respect to Rxl(o) where you get the roof rails, foot rails in black and body colored mirrors & door handle. Do any body have this model photo please do share it here.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks