Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2012, 22:33   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: HM adds new tech to Mitsubishi Cedia

Harbir, I read all your posts with a lot of interest, one thing that I realised is that you have failed to read the title of this thread or bothered to read the opening post.

EVERYONE knows what is a Lancer and what is a CEDIA, you don't have to go to great lengths to explain the speeds, acceleration, in gear or through gear (very very few people have bought the cedia for it's looks or these nitty gritty figures).

When not many (not many in cedia terms would probably be in single or 2 digits) have bought the cedia for these looks or interiors, how in the world does HM think that by adding a cheap chinese tablet (with a 12v 'Juice' adaptor) will increase it's sales ? Are there not better ways to give confidence (which is the only one seriously lacking)to the customers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
LOL Mitsubishi deserves to shut shop. After they Outlander facelift, they've launched absolutely nothing that is interesting.

And yes, this is a Cedia owner speaking. As much as I love the car, their attitude in India is absolutely terrible!
Old 14th July 2012, 22:48   #47
BHPian

I said somewhere else that it sounds like HM just put in a different aftermarket kenwood headunit and claimed that its features are actual enhancements of the car.

I don't disagree that this is ridiculous. Criticism of HM and its insistence of getting without proper investments are all well deserved and I have never opposed such criticism.

I just took the opportunity of the thread to mention that I'd driven the car and found it deeply impressive to drive amongst its rivals. I had previously found it disappointing that this, one of the best enthusiast cars in India at an affordable price got almost no attention from the supposed enthusiasts here, and more disappointed that when the topic did come up, it was mostly mockery and rejection, with little or no expression of the view that despite these stupidities from HM, that this is a dream car for indian car enthusiasts.
Old 14th July 2012, 23:01   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
despite these stupidities from HM, that this is a dream car for indian car enthusiasts.
I would not go to those extremities just yet. It could be a dream car for you, do not club yourself with all the 'Indian Car Enthusiasts'. All of us enthusiasts want a car that drives and behaves like the Cedia and also is well supported in terms of service and availability of spares locally, not to mention to change with the times in terms of better interiors, a better image and better marketing.

I for one am looking for a sweet deal for a 3-4 year old Cedia for 3L, that is where it has become great at.
Old 14th July 2012, 23:07   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I All of us enthusiasts want a car that drives and behaves like the Cedia and also is well supported in terms of service and availability of spares locally,
and not finding the the service support, they give up the idea of a car that drives and behaves like a cedia and settle for one that has adequate service network. How so very enthusiastic of them!

It just occurs to me that a bit too much is made of the service network compared to, say, Honda or VW. For example, here in the north, there are Mitsubishi dealers in virtually every major city between Agra and Amritsar.
Old 14th July 2012, 23:35   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and not finding the the service support, they give up the idea of a car that drives and behaves like a cedia and settle for one that has adequate service network. How so very enthusiastic of them!
What is wrong with that ? I am sure you do not want your enthusiasm to lead you into a wrong decision (at 10 L). Not all of us are doing rallies and races on the road Harbir. As much as we are enthusiasts, we are also normal common folk who want to be comfortable making the right decision when we spend 10L on a family car. An enthusiast never had to be blind.

Like said before, no one has said that the cedia is a bad car, not worth buying at all. Only that instead of doing something worthwhile to popularize the car and the brand, HM has added tablets hoping that they will cure their ills, that is all I have to say in this thread. I am not for harping on the same things again and again and inviting an infraction.
cheers

Last edited by esteem_lover : 14th July 2012 at 23:37.
Old 14th July 2012, 23:55   #51
BHPian

Quote:
As much as we are enthusiasts, we are also normal common folk who want to be comfortable making the right decision when we spend 10L on a family car. An enthusiast never had to be blind.
This compulsion of the self styled Indian enthusiast to be, above everything, practical, is my basic point through all of this discussion.

Whereas anywhere else, the enthusiast driver will make choices to seek out the most pleasurable and fun car to drive at the cost of more practical considerations, the Indian "enthusiast" typically will not.

We are above all most enthusiastic about being sensible, not about truly enjoying the best driving cars.

and in the case of the cedia, considering that it is in fact not outdated, not impractical, and mitsubishi dealers are not all that rare, we're left with nothing more than prejudice and public perception issues to bias us against buying the Cedia. And then even though it is only prejudice and public perception that prevents us from buying one of the best driving cars in the Indian market, we still think that we are big driving enthusiasts.
Old 15th July 2012, 00:32   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This compulsion of the self styled Indian enthusiast to be, above everything, practical, is my basic point through all of this discussion.

What else styled do you want an Indian enthusiast to be, Indian or not ? Are you saying that we should be American styled or European styled ? Not many of the enthusiasts here have had the privilege (or whatever) to have lived in the US/Europe for a significant time to make this kind of an informed assessment. The REAL enthusiast here in India buys a beat up old Gypsy/MM540 or a Lancer/1st Gen City/Baleno/Esteem and mods it to their satisfaction and even the Cedia will be there one day when it falls into that budget. They are not going to bother about the tablet or the juice provided to it by the 12v DC adaptor.
Old 15th July 2012, 00:42   #53
Senior - BHPian

Its really nice to see a Cedia lover (Harbir) bring his point forth and I do agree with what you said in most of your posts. I was totally blown away by the Cedia with just one drive in it, be it space, handling, torque, build quality, the Cedia has it all.

But I would want to add here that YES the car has been in the market for a really long time but still most of the segment C+ or D segment buyers are not even aware of a product like the Cedia existing in the market. If you ask any prospective buyer whether or not he/she considered the Cedia their first reaction would be, "which is that car?" or "no I forgot about it" or "see what??"

The fact is that there is lack of awareness of this product even when it was launched and even today in India. Leave aside the rally scene where it is a popular choice, the mass market is elsewhere. I believe that not adequate steps have been taken to promote the car. The product should be marketed to sell rather than being given a hollow existence.

Forget a diesel even if Mitsubhishi bring in an LPG or a CNG variant of this car (which is the need of the hour for buyers) and create a buzz about it, the car will definitely reach triple digit sales figures if nothing better. You guys might think I'm crazy for asking for a CNG or LPG kit in a Cedia but honestly it is a low investment venture for the company (instead of bringing all new diesel engines) and I genuinely think a little better marketing can save the Cedia from its slow and poisonous death given to it by its company.

Last edited by S2!!! : 15th July 2012 at 00:44.
Old 15th July 2012, 04:35   #54
BHPian

Quote:
What else styled do you want an Indian enthusiast to be, Indian or not ? Are you saying that we should be American styled or European styled ?
no, only that they imagine themselves to be enthusiasts but actually are not so interested in a car that drives well that they will make decisions that are different from non-enthusiasts.
Old 15th July 2012, 04:35   #55
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know about you guys, but looking, for instance at the interior, I see nothing in, for example the Vento or the City that makes the Cedia look dated.
Ohh boy! that interior comparo is an eye opener. Old design of Cedia looks so young and fresh compared with the Vento and City. Thanks for sharing.

There is no denying that its a brilliant car and a steal at that price if you compare the competition. IMO it hits the sweet spot with Japanese Reliability and European Drive! What saddens is the apathy and neglect by HM-Mitsu and the overall direction of the company.

Last edited by C300 : 15th July 2012 at 04:42. Reason: Additional text
C300 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 09:50   #56
BHPian

As some has aptly put, it's the lack of awareness on Cedia, which is the killer of this product. What is irritating is HM/Mitsubishi is not doing anything to clear that issue.
The product is wonderful and the after sales service is very good. They have even figured in the top 3 in JD power survey ( forgot which year). On top of it, being an ex-cedia owner I can vouch for it.
Interiors and exteriors are best left to the individual to judge, because it's a personal preference. I would buy a lancer for its exterior looks but will not buy a civic for exterior looks. But I would buy a Civic for its I interiors.
Talk about ageing, to me it does not matter at all, as long as it gives me what I want, irrespective of how long the product is unchanged. Had the quails continued people would still buy. Look at Scorpio, Safari since their launch? It's more corrections in power train to iron out issues. The basic shape of exteriors and interiors have remained the same. Are people not buying it? They are because the Mahindras and Tatas are making sure that there is movement. But in Cedias case the (IMO) product does not need a correction and hence product need not be changed. After all these years it's one of the best in ride and handling and comfort. Technology is better than many other cars in the market today.

It's the HM/Mitsubishi selling approach or lack of it that's keeping this product off the roads. It's not the product or it's service support.
Old 15th July 2012, 12:13   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Whereas anywhere else, the enthusiast driver will make choices to seek out the most pleasurable and fun car to drive at the cost of more practical considerations, the Indian "enthusiast" typically will not.

I feel after reading your posts that one needs a certificate from you to be qualified to be called an enthuasist or not I sold my 2010 Automatic Honda City at a significant loss to buy New Fiesta 2012 as I didnt like driving the City for a minute. I consider myself someone who likes to throw his car in the corners and love cars that handle well.

I would never consider spending 10 lakhs on a Cedia. Mitsu cant throw these old models at Indians and expect us to lap them up. Even Esteem used to be a rally car but that doesnt mean that it was an enthuasists dream. The car maybe a good handler in its time, but its way past its shelf life. HM/Mistu have hit a new low by offering a tablet in order to sell a car. Next what? We have added a mobile charger to Cedia to call it All New Cedia
Old 15th July 2012, 12:27   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
no, only that they imagine themselves to be enthusiasts but actually are not so interested in a car that drives well that they will make decisions that are different from non-enthusiasts.
Well let it drive well, but we want the new Lancer. Its been far too long. Don't you agree that the new Lancer should have been here by now? Saying the car drives well is no justification for a company selling an old product. It may not be old in terms of technology, but it is in terms of age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car&me View Post
Technology is better than many other cars in the market today.
Really? Like what? The non mivec engine? If Mitsubishi had been proactive and launched up to date lower end products it would still be selling well. I remember the original Lancer sold as much as the OHC, if not more. It was kind of a status symbol, and it drove well. Mitsubishi brings upgrades to the Outlander, and the Montero within a few months or maybe a year of the other countries getting them. If they hadn't ignored the lower segment they would still be selling extremely well.

Still if Mitsubishi wants the Cedia to sell, I think they may have to do a further price correction, bring back the black interiors and promote it well.
Old 15th July 2012, 12:59   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234

Really? Like what?

Still if Mitsubishi wants the Cedia to sell, I think they may have to do a further price correction, bring back the black interiors and promote it well.
I think it still sells the sports version as well which has black interiors, at least on the website it still shows that. Hey you will never know if they updated to the website (HM / Mitsubishi to be blamed)

Can you throw some light on the cars that exists in the Indian market today on the same price band or category, what kind of technology that's really helpful to you which you find is not there in Cedia. It certainly will be a learning experience for me and will be able to compare apple to apples. Please note that I am interested in understanding the technology that you use to get some benefit, not just claims like I have this 41 meg camera on my phone but don't take photographs using the phone.
I order to sell more it requires sales effort that includes creating awareness. In India most people buy cars (not talking about this community or any vivid automobile interested person) by trying out what's in their reach. What I mean by reach is knowledge that there is a car in that range with Mitsubishi and not dealership and service centres. There are folks who think a Merc and Mitsubishi are same companies ( logo) and think its a costlier car. The same person goes and buys the verna.

It is lack of awareness about this product that spoils the numbers and HM is to be blamed for that.

And there is always some crazy folks like me who will still go and buy for what it is. :-)
Car&me is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 13:11   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car&me View Post
I think it still sells the sports version as well which has black interiors, at least on the website it still shows that. Hey you will never know if they updated to the website (HM / Mitsubishi to be blamed)

Can you throw some light on the cars that exists in the Indian market today on the same price band or category, what kind of technology that's really helpful to you which you find is not there in Cedia.
I don't think there is a Sports version anymore, and they just sell one trim variant. Not sure about this though.

Well you are the one who said it has technology better than many cars on the market, hence I would like you to point out what you are talking about? I know the Cedia is not lacking on safety features but I would love to know what tech is better in the Cedia than other cars.

While the 2.0 engine is good no doubt, it seems to be a bit low on power considering its size. If the power is bumped up it will certainly be much quicker. Its also missing variable valve timing from what I understand, called Mivec by Mistubishi. Its there in the City, Verna, SX4, and all the cars priced higher now like the Corolla, Civic, Laura. Not sure about the Vento though. Hell even the i10 has it. That would help with power and efficiency.

Also since you own a 2007 Cedia, may I ask what price you got it for then? And if you had a choice would you buy the same product today in this time, considering the present competition.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks