Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2012, 20:47   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW up! spotted testing in Pune, totally undisguised, 2 and 4 door versions spotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Isn’t this quite common with these 3 door small cars? Mini Cooper is another example.

Well I wish preferences change and evolve so that manufacturers get the courage to bring in new concepts to India
with 3 door cars it is absolutely fine. even i would like to have 3 door cars in india. but i am talking about UP 5 DOOR. UP 5 DOOR has fixed rear window :(
Old 13th July 2012, 21:30   #32
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW up! spotted testing in Pune, totally undisguised, 2 and 4 door versions spotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
with 3 door cars it is absolutely fine. even i would like to have 3 door cars in india. but i am talking about UP 5 DOOR. UP 5 DOOR has fixed rear window :(
Oops, my mistake...

It could be cost-cutting or probably aesthetic reasons – to give it 3-door styling, and the convenience of 5-door. Recently sat in a Citroen DS4 with similar styling.

Hope VW brings this in to India soon, and price it competitively (without any VFM-driven cost-cutting). This car has the potential do what Swift did to the Indian hatchback space some years back.

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th July 2012 at 21:45. Reason: Additional comment added
Old 14th July 2012, 05:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

Excellent catch, the two door version might be just testing the waters and may not see the light of the day, looking at what happened to Zen Carbon and Steel. The rear door stopper (I guess that's what it is) might be a Europe only design and might get removed/replaced with a proper window when launched here.

Internationally does this come in Petrol and Diesel both? Also were these cars Petrol only?
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 07:19   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Excellent catch, the two door version might be just testing the waters and may not see the light of the day, looking at what happened to Zen Carbon and Steel. The rear door stopper (I guess that's what it is) might be a Europe only design and might get removed/replaced with a proper window when launched here.

Internationally does this come in Petrol and Diesel both? Also were these cars Petrol only?
You are correct mayan, the 2 door version may not be presented in India. In my opinion India is ready for 2 door versions. When Zen Carbon steel was introduced around 9 years back, it was a limited edition model only 1000 cars were manufactured. I had persuaded my uncle to book one @ that time, but booking was closed when he tried to book.
Personally I love these 2 door versions and convertibles rather than regular hard topped models.
Old 14th July 2012, 08:47   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Spotted two VW Up! cars in Pune this afternoon, on Karve road Pune. The cars were totally undisguised.
Great scoop buddy - bonus are the super clear pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice29 View Post

I must admit that they are brave enough if they bring that 2-door version for sale here. However if price it right, there could be a potential market for that (courtesy to the need of a small city car).

And finally, thanks @MandarMax for a great scoop
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Nice scoop! Maybe next we would see the Citigo and the Saet Mii on tests!

IMO the UP would be launched not earlier than 2014, to have the localization levels and hence a competitive pricing!

Cheers!
Keeping my fingers crossed for a 2013 launch - this should be positioned below the Polo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post

Earnestly hope that the 3 door hatch is released.
Also - zen carbon and steel were never manufactured for India but were export surpluses cleverly marketed by Maruti.
Old 14th July 2012, 12:33   #36
Senior - BHPian

Ok - I got this news from my twitter feed and just checked out autocarindia site, and they have the same pictures which are trimmed at the bottom (presumably to clip the small tbhp logo). This is certainly done before the big watermarks were put in.
Did Autocar India reach out to Mandarmax or the mods?

Volkswagen Up spied in India | News | Autocar India
Old 14th July 2012, 13:35   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Ok - I got this news from my twitter feed and just checked out autocarindia site, and they have the same pictures which are trimmed at the bottom (presumably to clip the small tbhp logo). This is certainly done before the big watermarks were put in.

Well, Autocar India has mentioned image source as ICB and they in turn have mentioned Spy shots are from Team-bhp.
Old 14th July 2012, 14:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post

No I didn't reach out to Autocar. I've had a bad experience with them - in 2007, when I wasn't a tbhp member, I had taken spy shots of Mahindra Xylo, which I had shared with them. They happily printed the photos in their next issue but didn't even thank me or reply on email. They had a policy of giving away free subscription then (I think they still have), but they didn't do that. I also didn't follow up to ask for the free subscription. Moreover they didn't even give me proper credit in that issue, the name printed was wrong. . So this time there was no question of sharing the pics with them, plus being a tbhp member I thought it would be better to share the pics with this community.

Mods - can we take action and ask them to change the source as tbhp or remove the picture?

I think there was a small window of time when the pics were not watermarked and during that window someone must have shared the pic(s) with ICB. I see the same set of pictures on bunch of other sites as well.
Old 14th July 2012, 19:20   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

How mice this scoop is!

I am waiting for the A segment to get shaken up with the UP and the Citigo!
Old 14th July 2012, 23:44   #40
BHPian

Re: VW Up! spotted testing in Pune, totally undisguised, 2 and 4 door versions spotte

From the UK site ? http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/up-nf/home

Ain't these AC vents ?

Also I think a diesel engine is a must as things stand now.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Up! spotted testing in Pune, totally undisguised, 2 and 4 door versions spotted.-capture.jpg  

Old 16th July 2012, 14:47   #41
BHPian

Re: VW Up! spotted testing in Pune, totally undisguised, 2 and 4 door versions spotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
From the UK site ? http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/up-nf/home

Ain't these AC vents ?
Even I thought the same but would these be effective in cooling the cabin especially during the great Indian summers? Also in the scoop, if you notice the dash pic of the 4 door version, there is no such similar arrangement above the cenre console. I would bet that 2 vents are not at all sufficient for effective cooling.

If VW has skipped this feature along with providing butterfly type windows at the rear, then I am sure that these cars can be used as mobile solar cookers during summer days.
Old 16th July 2012, 14:55   #42
BHPian

Actually there is such an arrangement in video reviews i saw from some uk site. If the compressor is decent it won't be a problem.
Old 16th July 2012, 17:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
Actually there is such an arrangement in video reviews i saw from some uk site. If the compressor is decent it won't be a problem.
Technically speaking, I guess even one air vent in the middle will be enough, provided if the vent to blow the required volume of air/m³. Its not from where the air is blown, but its more important to have the right amount of air circulation. But on the other hand, in cities like chennai or anywhere down south, where the humidity levels are relatively very high, it would be comfortable to have vents blowing air at required places of the body and from either sides.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 18:16   #44
Senior - BHPian

this video shows the features of UP BASE VERSION. the one spotted in india.
tushky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 23:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

Superb scoop Mandar! I simply hate the oversized VW logo upfront, almost looks like an afterthought looking at the execution.

The interiors though, look very nice if it is indeed pitted against the Alto and Eon. I think though,this may be priced similar to Ritz/i10, and will they offer same petrol engine as in the Polo ?

I fail to understand the intention in testing a 2 door version as i doubt if it'll have a market in our country.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 18th July 2012 at 23:58.

Most Viewed